7 Simple Skills That Increase Your Garden's Productivity | High-Yield Permaculture Gardening

In this video, I cover the 7 main skills that I have used this growing season to have the most productive year yet in the vegetable garden, and I thought I would share exactly what they are and the reasons behind why I think they have worked so well. Signed copies of my books with worldwide shipping: https://huwrichards.shop/

Want to support the channel and get more videos? Become a patron and get access to 2 exclusive videos a week, for only $3 a month: https://www.patreon.com/huwrichards

My Online Course ‘More Food Less Effort’: https://abundanceacademy.online/p/mor…

Follow me on Instagram: @huws_nursery
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/HuwsGardenNu…

#kitchengarden #permaculture #vegetablegardening

1. Jill Nakamura on December 4, 2020 at 9:08 pm

What do recommend to avoid gophers?

2. Andri Eracleous on December 4, 2020 at 9:08 pm

Hi hue.im watching u from cyprus in meditteranean.i just made a compost a week ago and covered it.no shelter.shal i keep it covered or uncover? But the rain?will it rost?i do hope u answer me.thanks.andre.

3. A Christian on December 4, 2020 at 9:09 pm

I’d have eaten all that organic matter – great video!

4. Picci25021973 on December 4, 2020 at 9:11 pm

Chop & drop is not good for my environment. My garden would become a slug-rave-party!

5. Jen Lewis on December 4, 2020 at 9:11 pm

Does chop and drop encourage slugs?

6. Eline Makker on December 4, 2020 at 9:13 pm

Thank you so much for this video Huw! I have been chopping and dropping for a while now, but am finding it difficult to sow and plant after it. If I may ask: how do you deal with that after you’ve covered an area with green material?

7. The History Kid on December 4, 2020 at 9:13 pm

Another one of your younger audience, may I ask how you say your name? I want to share your channel with relatives and only know how to spell it, when coming up in conversation I don’t know how to say your name.

8. Bo McGillacutty on December 4, 2020 at 9:15 pm

Good ideas here. One labor/time saver is to leave the clippings in rows/piles around beds and run mower over them with bag attached to catch chopped material for spreading. Of course this is mainly if you have a quick easy mower which means battery powered to me.

9. LACEY'S NURSERY on December 4, 2020 at 9:16 pm

Hey huw awesome video as always. , I’ve been harvesting lemon cucumbers and they are delicious. Feel free to take a look. https://youtu.be/O0VAQjps9mQ

10. Shirley bags on December 4, 2020 at 9:19 pm

What a brilliant video… I’d watched the others you mentioned too… I’m new to no-dig, and you mentioned MORE things I didn’t know, like putting beds to sleep for the winter… where, then should I grow the winter veg I’m hoping to get from the garden centre soon? Just choose a bed, then put others to sleep? Do I then need to rest the winter veg bed after its harvested? What about the beds u put garlic, onions, etc, in- mulch first… sorry lots of Q’s I realise you probs won’t have time to answer, but I’m quite excited after watching that, and I’d love to go from 1 or 2 pumpkins, a few courgettes and a couple if handfuls if tomatoes, to being much more self-sufficient next year🤞🏻 👩🏼‍🌾🥕💚

11. Ecoblue Farms on December 4, 2020 at 9:19 pm

Awesome video-Question when you chop n drop and spread over the raised bed do you not plant in that bed until the next season ? Well I kept watching and you answered my question- I definitely will join your Patreon

12. Kerso Mulyo Farm on December 4, 2020 at 9:20 pm

Gardening is fun, every day I grow vegetables for my family

13. Abigail Fraser on December 4, 2020 at 9:20 pm

Great video:) ive actually found that woodchip mulch is one of the main things that reduces slugs in my garden!! But hay increases it. Definitely worth experimenting:)

14. Sonia Woolley on December 4, 2020 at 9:21 pm

Awesome !

15. new look on December 4, 2020 at 9:22 pm

Wow, very beautiful, I loved it (شكراا)

16. Michael Ball on December 4, 2020 at 9:23 pm

Hello Huw, thanks for uploading this film and I hope you enjoyed your break. I’ve watched a number of your films now, have always appreciated them but this is the first time I’ve left a comment and I hope you don’t mind me being very honest about my experiences with gardening and the current situation I find myself in.
    Growing plants and making compost have been passions for me since I was a child. Unfortunately, depression has been an almost constant companion for me from my early teenage years and often hampered my ability to pursue my passions for a long time until, at the age of 28, I found a magic combination of yoga, surrounding myself with the right people and gardening. This combo allowed me to respond effectively to depression for many years and gave me much contentment and fulfillment in life.
    Disaster has struck again and the last 12 months have been extremely testing and painful for me Huw. I have struggled through somehow but, 10 days ago, my thoughts and feelings had become so dark that I took an overdose ofopioid painkillers. I am still here to tell the tale and sometimes have a fight in me, determined to get through this but I also experience the most horrendous states of mind in which I feel that the fight is futile.
    I must fight this regardless of what the ending is for me. Perhaps I can find who and what I need again to thrive. I would be deeply touched to you and anyone reading this if you would consider sparing me a thought as I persevere and try to battle with this hell I have encountered.
    Thank you and best wishes to you in the work you undertake in your garden and the joy you offer others through your films.
    Michael

17. Patrick Nugent on December 4, 2020 at 9:23 pm

Hi

Huw reaching out to you Tony O,Neil , Charles Dowding and MI gardener for support for the Pinuya indigenous Indian tribe in a very remote part of Brazil. I visited them last year they are beautiful people and mostly self sufficient but are having a hard time because of everything that is going on and storms that destroyed their tree nursery.

They are trying to raise £3000 for materials to rebuild it which will supply food , medicine and income for them. They have the knowledge and labour.

I was hoping this might appeal to you or your viewers .

I love your videos by the way.

Here is the link please share if you consider it worthy you will hell them for generations to come.

Thankyou

18. Benjaporrn Rks. on December 4, 2020 at 9:24 pm

It’s good vedio i like very much

19. Whatever this is on December 4, 2020 at 9:29 pm

Permaculture or polyculture? They sound the same, but maybe permaculture is broader?

20. king james488 on December 4, 2020 at 9:30 pm

ya, I can grow great vegetables in a pot of compost too.
    you should try a real garden.

21. John Sheppard on December 4, 2020 at 9:30 pm

we had strong winds here in newport east in august last year

22. The Genesis Principle Fine Art on December 4, 2020 at 9:31 pm

I just subscribed to your channel, these videos are very informative.

23. Huw Richards on December 4, 2020 at 9:31 pm

I have decided to take a break from YouTube for September, firstly to rest, and then focus more on Autumn and Winter content, finishing my next online course which is about creating productive planting plans, and to start work on book 3. I hope you have a lovely September and I look forward to seeing you all again on Saturday 3rd of October 😀🌱

24. Bita Zerbes on December 4, 2020 at 9:33 pm

Beet root greens taste very much like Swiss chard/spinach . We like them lightly steamed with some lemon. But one can put them in any recipe using spinach . I saw you chopping and dropping them as waste and thought I’d share this info.

25. Oncu Farm on December 4, 2020 at 9:34 pm

very good video sir. I also love planting and very interested in how you garden. Greetings from Oncu Farm in Indonesia.😊👍

26. Rosaura Ornelas on December 4, 2020 at 9:34 pm

You and Luke from Migardener are hands down the best! Your content is alway interesting and I have learned a lot from it. Take care Huw and please keep making videos.

27. Ellen on December 4, 2020 at 9:34 pm

I’m so glad I discovered this channel. I don’t know if it’s a skill, but as someone who rents a home, it’s been essential to build a great track record, always pay rent on time etc, and then be prepared to rent a place that’s a bit rough and the owner is fairly absent and flexible. Combined with a good real estate agent, and the odd self-initiated improvement, it means I get away with pushing the limits a little and turning lawn into vegie gardens, and interplanting vegies in the flower beds.

28. Edith on December 4, 2020 at 9:41 pm

Found your channel looking for honey mango review. You’ve grown lol

29. Fen Tomato Farm on December 4, 2020 at 9:41 pm

Love your videos, easy to follow and very educational. I am new to the YouTube and trying to build up my channel, could you please support me and subscribe to my channel😊

30. Jacco de Stigter on December 4, 2020 at 9:43 pm

I need these plastic multi-sowing things. Does anyone know where to get these?

31. Agriculture Academy on December 4, 2020 at 9:46 pm

Great information, enjoyed your video and the different but helpful tips 👍

32. Claire McConway on December 4, 2020 at 9:48 pm

I am using woodchips (London area) and I don’t find it creates a slug problem at all. I am using huge amounts of chip – tons – from having dozens of problem trees removed last winter. It is definitely situational. London/the south east is quite dry – the annual rainfall is very low – and the clay soil really benefits from the organic matter from the rotting wood chips. I don’t have many slugs and the ones I do sometimes see have what can only be described as a leopard print pattern on them and they seem to like eating the mushrooms that grow in the woodchip. It turns out when I researched this that they are called leopard slugs and they don’t eat plants at all, they prefer decaying matter. Millions of poor innocent leopard slugs must be killed by gardeners all the time when they are benign. It turns out that it is only the black slugs (which can be grey or brown with orange frills) that damage plants. I just relocate those humanely to the grassed area in the block of flats behind my garden, they can’t do any harm there because it is just grass with trees and they can eat the young weeds that grown in the grass. Doing things to encourage hedgehogs will also help to keep slug populations under control (holes in fences, places for them to live and hibernate, of course no pesticides or herbicides, etc).

33. Lucas B on December 4, 2020 at 9:48 pm

As soon as you recommended the taking of notes, I remembered I had done so a while ago, but failed to keep it updated. I didn’t have a particularly good yield this year, BUT as I updated my logs I discovered some small victories I had overlooked, and came away feeling like it was a productive season in terms of experience, if not yields. Thanks for the motivation!

34. urvashi verma on December 4, 2020 at 9:48 pm

Hi can I have your email I’d? I have few questions.

35. kate grafton on December 4, 2020 at 9:52 pm

I love how you think, and I really enjoy your watching your videos. Your an inspiration.

36. Robert Paul Bishop on December 4, 2020 at 9:54 pm

Good morning Huw. Question please. Do you have any suggestions about soil PH testing equipment for a normal gardener such as myself. I see some advertised at £20-30 range. Are these worth it? Is a multi purpose PH tester / moisture tester recommended?? In which case, would you kindly suggest one or options?? Thanks and keep up the great videos!!!

37. Zimpaz on December 4, 2020 at 9:55 pm

I saw you on TV huw!!! Nice work

38. Organic Food Company on December 4, 2020 at 9:57 pm

Thankyou sir for your video….great one.

39. Hope Up on December 4, 2020 at 9:57 pm

Are there certain plants/vegetables that you should not use the chop method on? And do you put straw mulch over it to keep weeds down?

40. emrsngs on December 4, 2020 at 9:57 pm

Hello from the U.S. Thank you for all of your videos. They are so helpful and give me a lot of inspiration and encouragement. I live in a very arid, hot, windy part of the U.S. and, believe it or not, I have found that leaving "weeds" in the garden helps with moisture retention especially during snow storms. They kind of act like snow-fences catching the snow and dropping it to the ground. Whereas it would otherwise evaporate/blow away. I observed what did well here naturally, which was, of course, weeds. And I started planting veggies around them for protection. The weeds helped with shade, water and pest control. 🙂

41. Bo McGillacutty on December 4, 2020 at 9:58 pm

7:00 inspiring and intimidating, that’s just too perfect. 😀

42. Abby Hambleton on December 4, 2020 at 9:59 pm

I just watched a video of urs from 2012 on how to make a seed packet, very cool to see u stuck with it.

43. Suresh Mohan on December 4, 2020 at 10:00 pm

Brother, I really enjoy your activity and the way you express to us. It’s a feeling of being before you. I did following Charles, you and others and just without cutting in pieces placed coconut leaf with stem,banana leaves,tree leaves with small branches and sprinkled cowdung water, fish waste soaked with jaggery poured after 15 days mixed in water and bastilitis subsities made from raw rice in sugar for 15 days mixed in water in 25 days the lower got composed 50%.

44. Delightful Souvenirs from the Garden on December 4, 2020 at 10:01 pm

The more I watch your videos, the more I am encouraged to buy your book, I’m ordering it now!

45. xoxcxsxm on December 4, 2020 at 10:04 pm

Green coriander seeds! I use the whole plant green leaf and stem with ant remaining flower and seeds blend them into sauce give unbelievable flavours

46. Felice van 't Wout on December 4, 2020 at 10:05 pm

Owen come on I can’t okay overlook key I look video are you supposed to videos

47. queenSummerKeli on December 4, 2020 at 10:06 pm

Thank you so very much! I love your videos. Great info but so beautiful and calm. 💜💜💜

48. Wade Supphaprasert on December 4, 2020 at 10:06 pm

I am so surprised to see your Grow Food For Free book in Thailand bookstore. I once thought of buying the book and had it shipped from abroad but idea abandoned. So I bought the book right away today. Thank you for all lessons you always share.

49. ezequiel guevara on December 4, 2020 at 10:07 pm

Exelente video, desde ahora en adelante tendre en cuenta estos 7 consejos e iré adaptandolo según mi huerto 😀❤

50. William Qvillberg on December 4, 2020 at 10:08 pm

This is my new favorite channel, great content.