Backyard Farming in Colorado Springs, CO

A quick spin around Ivywild Aquaponics and Neighborhood Farm. Please subscribe to our channel to see the rest of our videos in this series and to stay current with all the happenins’ around the farm.

1. stone lizard hops farm on December 4, 2020 at 9:11 pm

Right on great video I m in New Mexico so I know what you mean growing in this elevation keep up the hard work

2. Devoy Williams on December 4, 2020 at 9:14 pm

What if you put two ibc totes underground?

3. righttothrive on December 4, 2020 at 9:21 pm

I can’t take credit for the term – it is permaculture vocabulary. 🙂

4. At War on December 4, 2020 at 9:23 pm

I’m moving to Colorado Springs in a month, we’re looking for a home to buy now- and gardening is very important to me, is parts of Colorado Springs that are better than other parts , West side? Hill sides? Flat land? I like victory gardens, and English gardens too , is this possible

5. Rebecca Brefeld on December 4, 2020 at 9:24 pm

I just found your channel! I live in Fountain & am pretty new to gardening ( this will be my 3rd season) you have an amazing little farm! We had a green house our first year but sadly the storms last year destroyed everything so we are starting over. Thanks for sharing all the info!

6. Growing Your Food In Your Own Backyard on December 4, 2020 at 9:24 pm

I am a native of Colorado of 63 years. In Colorado depending on the region has different climate levels. The high countries above 6000 ft² can get very very cold. But in the Denver metro area are winters are not very very cold and have not been very very cold for now the past 25 years. Compare to back east, Colorado doesn’t have very very cold winters. We do have maybe 1 or 2 weeks of temperatures that will get into the single digits. I agree our weather is sporadic and unpredictable. And the subsequent growing season can be very different from the previous year seasons which makes gardening very challenging in Colorado.

7. John Arizona on December 4, 2020 at 9:29 pm

Nice! Payson Az here so I hear ya about high and dry. I’ve had luck with Pineapples, apples, mangos, papaya, pomegranates and just started some ephedra.  You might consider setting up your compost pile to also be a solar still. Otherwise that water just evaporates. God Bless!

8. Laura G. Young on December 4, 2020 at 9:32 pm

Wow, this place is a Colorado gardener’s dream! Are you still in this location? I’d love to see some follow-up videos to see how things have progressed.

9. David Sams on December 4, 2020 at 9:35 pm

My son is in Fountain, Colorado and we will be moving there to join him in a few years. You are perfect for what he/we want to do. I will watch all your videos and get back to you. David Sams, former coordinator of the Tennessee Master Gardener Program.

10. Amanda Berman on December 4, 2020 at 9:36 pm

Keep up the hard work

11. farfromform on December 4, 2020 at 9:37 pm

fantastic video! please consider the chems in the treated wood, plant roots gon find said chems. better to use untreated scrap or logs as both are free.? c springs is beautiful just like your garden!

12. s3venvii on December 4, 2020 at 9:37 pm

Yeah if you want to see an ugly battle get a Coloradan and a Kansan together and start talking about who owns the water that come from our skies and mountains 🙂

13. Hei Hei on December 4, 2020 at 9:41 pm

New subscriber. I live in Colorado too. Hope to see your new video soon.

14. righttothrive on December 4, 2020 at 9:42 pm

If I understand my Colorado history, the laws go waaaaay back to before when Colorado was even a state. Colorado resources were split in every conceivable way, to include the ownership of rain/snow falling on your property. In most places in Colorado we don’t own the minerals under the ground either. This allowed the folks dividing up the land to sell it three times – the land, the water, and the minerals. Greed is such an ugly thing, and we are still in a mess because of it.

15. righttothrive on December 4, 2020 at 9:47 pm

Soooo true. I have heard rumblings of a national water plan for exactly that reason. If you think it’s a mess now, wait until the Fed’s try to regulate all water in the West. What a nightmare!

16. UPGardenr on December 4, 2020 at 9:49 pm

Guild thats a good idea, and a good way of putting it.

17. philchips on December 4, 2020 at 10:06 pm

Why is it illegal to have a rain catch? That’s bullshit, time to vote out those politicians. Can’t even harvest free water.