Grow Vegetables In Winter With A Mini Greenhouse – GardenFork

Use a mini greenhouse to grow vegetables in winter, here’s how I do it. Greenhouse Hoop House vids: http://goo.gl/zwmihd Sub here: http://goo.gl/3zM702

Thermatic vent: http://amzn.to/2grMjcY

For more info on 4 season gardening, check out Eliot Coleman’s book here: http://amzn.to/2gZxmQv

Get our Email News: http://www.gardenfork.tv/sign-up-for-our-email-newsletter

iTunes GF Radio podcast: https://goo.gl/4CCenA
Twitter: http://twitter.com/gardenforktv
Facebook: http://facebook.com/gardenfork
Google+: https://plus.google.com/+gardenfork/
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gardenforktv/
Instagram: http://instagram.com/gardenfork

More great DIY, Cooking, Gardening, Home Improvement, Urban Homesteading videos and info on our site: http://GardenFork.TV

Amazon and some other links are affiliate links, we get a small finder’s fee for referring purchasers to their sites. Its part of how we pay for producing GardenFork

Produced by GardenFork Media LLC ©2015 all rights reserved

All embeds must live link to www.GardenFork.TV or www.YouTube.com/GardenFork

No Editorial Excerpts without permission, Violators agree to pay $5,000 per second + $10 per view + all collections & lawyers fees. In other words, ask first, we will probably say yes. Email: eric@gardenfork.tv

GardenFork Media LLC
PO Box 130
Colebrook, CT 06021

Music: Happy Hour, Composed by Dale Herr (ASCAP) , Toast Factory Publishing (ASCAP) Recording Licensed from the UniqueTracks Production Music Library Inc.

1. steviebboy69 on December 4, 2020 at 9:15 pm

All my greens grow well outside in the winter, in fact they grow better in some way, than when its blazing hot summer sun hitting them.
    I have never had Rosemary die in winter.

2. Far North Weaver on December 4, 2020 at 9:15 pm

This is a really good site my husband shared with me, with some  really interesting Greenhouse Ideas.    lowtechmagazine.com ….Reinventing the Greenhouse

3. Jeff Moody on December 4, 2020 at 9:18 pm

Here in North Texas, we just cover over crops when it gets below 33 and the next day it goes back up to 50’s. We don’t have a study winter like a lot of people do. I have some pepper plants that have lasted me a couple of years just by covering them.

4. togagirl100 on December 4, 2020 at 9:19 pm

Thx!

5. ogadl ogadl on December 4, 2020 at 9:19 pm

What zone are you in? Love your hoop design !

6. mark1952able on December 4, 2020 at 9:19 pm

"Thermatic Vent"?   Can poor people afford this?

7. mark1952able on December 4, 2020 at 9:23 pm

Have you ever been successful growing Tomato’s in the greenhouse?  In the winter of course……..I live in North Florida but still seems difficult…..??

8. Cathy Anderson on December 4, 2020 at 9:23 pm

what metal are you using in the lower tunnel? I tried the 10′ x4′ panels which are really stiff but they collapsed under the snow. I think I had them spread too wide – 7′. Maybe if I kept them at 4′ across they may not have fallen. I was so bummed. I had pak choi and kale out there still growing at 0 degrees.

9. angela sheppard on December 4, 2020 at 9:26 pm

never would have thought the vents would’ve been so inexpensive

10. Robert Tighe on December 4, 2020 at 9:27 pm

Tennis balls and sticks! My yellow labs favorite things in the world!

11. Tracy Bruring on December 4, 2020 at 9:30 pm

I built elevated garden beds; 4×4 legs holding up a 8 ft long 4 ft wide 12 inch deep garden bed with pvc hoops that hold 6 mil plastic; I clamp on the plastic here in TX because I will want to remove it on nice days; I am currently growing mixed greens like kale arugula lettuce etc in the middle brussel sprouts at one end and younger lettuces at the other; I have two of these beds; one is shorter and will be making more this winter; due to arthritis I can’t bend and this makes it so I can still grow some of my own food. Next year I will be starting an herb bed, and will be attempting tomatoes cucumbers and who knows what else;

12. James Bryant on December 4, 2020 at 9:30 pm

I have a green house to

13. Evan Painter on December 4, 2020 at 9:33 pm

Don’t see the thermatic vent link

14. JulieAnkha N. on December 4, 2020 at 9:35 pm

How do you open the greenhouse and not shock the plants in winter? Don’t let dog chew on wood. It can get splinters down his throat.

15. yellowbird30 on December 4, 2020 at 9:36 pm

Great video…..going to have to make one for next year! Love your labs by the way….we also have one,,,,,.they are the best!!

16. Cathy Anderson on December 4, 2020 at 9:38 pm

how did you attach your plastic to the hoop house? how are you making that a lid so it all pops off like that? hmm. i have a lot of questions about growing in winter, but if Eliot Coleman is growing spinach in Vermont all through winter there has to be a way

17. TheOrganiclady on December 4, 2020 at 9:38 pm

Does that snow have to come off so the plants can get sunlight? I live in central Florida so I don’t use greenhouses. I do kind of turn one of the raised bed into a cold frame kind of thing to start seeds in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for sharing.

18. Kathleen White on December 4, 2020 at 9:38 pm

Where do you live? I moved from Northern Cal. where we grew enough food and had enough eggs to feed ourselves if we needed to, year round, to Bend, Or. in Central Oregon, in April of 2017. I am wondering if we live in similar climates. I want to be able to find a way to grow in the winter besides the micro greens in the window thing.

19. Lori Eldridge on December 4, 2020 at 9:39 pm

I purchased a 6×8 greenhouse (home depot) that I bought about 3 years ago that has an aluminum frame and bubbles in heavy plastic. I live in E. WA zone 6b so temps get down to -5 usually. I heated it the last 2 winters with a large 20inch aquarium heater in a 5 gallon bucket of water. The plastic on the roof started deteorating last summer so I covered it with heavy non-sun repeallant plastic (that’s all I had) and also ran another layer on the inside of the roof and down the 8 foot walls so it had 3 layers of plastic on the roof with air between. I had tomatoes in there plus peppers, geraniums, and 2 long pots full of greens which grew pretty good till it got down to freezing. It’s supposed to get down to freezing for a high temp next week so I have since moved 1 of each tomato into the house and 1 of each pepper and the geraniums and put everything else (except the greens) under a mini-green house inside of the main one so the heated water isn’t heating so much space (about 1/6th of the original) and it is staying about 57 degrees on cloudy days, or 10 degrees above the outside temp when it’s freezing at night. I"m doing this mainly to see if the tomatoes and peppers will survive the winter in the hothouse. I think I will put the greens under the smaller green house so they keep growing too as you said they will quit when it gets too cold. We are planning on building a bigger green house in spring with better plastic in a sunnier location but will gets some of those vents you mentioned as the current hot house gets too hot on sunny days. I need to figure out something for the moisture also as the warm water puts out a lot of humidity. What I’ve seen so far are too expensive so a small hot house.

20. Mike Truby on December 4, 2020 at 9:41 pm

Omg I love your dogs those 2 are freaking adorable

21. erosamuk on December 4, 2020 at 9:44 pm

how do the plants grow without sunlight once the mini-greenhouses are covered in snow?

22. Flat Sun on December 4, 2020 at 9:48 pm

im growing Garlic behind my window XD

23. FreedomBee on December 4, 2020 at 9:52 pm

I LOVE ur dogs, & I love the way U love & interact with them. U clearly enjoy & appreciate them, as ppl should.

24. Russell Franke on December 4, 2020 at 9:54 pm

Love the shots of the crazy dogs, as usual! No snow yet in Michigan. I would love those hoop houses for fresh herbs (think Thanksgiving!). One question: Do you have to water the beds? Thanks, Eric, and great show as usual.

25. Aaron Joseph on December 4, 2020 at 9:55 pm

Love the channel and videos mate! The dude are infinitely entertaining too!

26. exe2112 on December 4, 2020 at 9:56 pm

I grow in Florida. 😏 it was 85 degrees today

27. Kyndra MB on December 4, 2020 at 9:56 pm

My husband and I love your videos. They’re very practical and are realistic in execution. So many people seem to overcomplicate things and spend too much money. Your pups are always adorable!

28. Rev John O'Toole on December 4, 2020 at 9:58 pm

I grow microgreens in a room in my house year round, so I can water and harvest in my fuzzy slippers. I have many videos of them.
    best

29. Steve on December 4, 2020 at 9:59 pm

Love the podcast!!

30. My Frugal Raggy Life on December 4, 2020 at 9:59 pm

Happy dogs !

31. Greetje Nijdam on December 4, 2020 at 10:02 pm

Ñice movie. Beautifull garden and what a snow. Greetz from Nederland.

32. Minni on December 4, 2020 at 10:04 pm

I love this

33. carlos liu on December 4, 2020 at 10:07 pm

Sir, I need you help me. I am gonna grow this water spinach in winter. this water spinach grows well under temperature 20-28 C degree. and when teamperture less than 10 C degree, it stops to grow. if temperture less than 5 C degree, it’s gonna to die.I would build a greenhouse for it, and I grow water spinach in winter for business. here’s the question: what is the teaperture in the greenhouse when the most cold days in winter? Please help me, so I can decide if I need to prepare aditional heater equipment. also, this water spinach would die if the air humidity more than 80%.

34. SpoonerLove on December 4, 2020 at 10:09 pm

question Sir!
    How do you harvest? Will you be lifting the canopy up as you did to demonstrate? I’m thinking that here in Mn when it gets nasty that might kill immediately. I want to build hoops for my gardens. Perhaps building an entrance at one end is the way to go. I like the concrete wire.

35. Rev John O'Toole on December 4, 2020 at 10:12 pm

you could choose the plants in each tunnel according to the level of sun levels, though this time of the year, not much sun.

we got 1 1/2 feet, the next town over got nothing.

36. Deb Cobern on December 4, 2020 at 10:12 pm

Loved this video! Not only a lot of good advice but your adorable pups just put it over the top!!! 👍😃💖

37. angela sheppard on December 4, 2020 at 10:12 pm

Why would u need the thermatic vents in winter? I’m seriously confused. Wouldn’t u want heat to stay in?first time winter Gardener here

38. Flannel Acres on December 4, 2020 at 10:13 pm

It’s nice to see an update on how well your greenhouses are holding up. They look great! Hopefully your rosemary will do well. Last year I forgot about mine and it froze. Oops. Great clip of the new snow! We don’t have any yet over here. Maybe next week…

39. Evan Painter on December 4, 2020 at 10:13 pm