DIY unheated greenhouse grows food year-round in Upstate NY

My wife and I wanted to grow food all winter long without using any heat source. We researched for about 6 months before we started building. This video talks about the process of building and all the things I wish I knew before I started.
I wrote a long article about the process in my blog as well which can be found here

1. CasaDe PANDA on December 6, 2020 at 9:24 pm

This is really awesome! Where did you get all those 55g drums? I’m looking at building a simple greenhouse, however yours is inspiring me to possibly implement some of these ideas. Also, have you considered painting the drums black to absorb more heat? Also, perhaps a simple cheap "hack" I seen was to simply take some rolls of clear bubble wrap and add a layer of that to the inside of all the windows as a means of improving your thermal rating for all your windows and solex. I was thinking to myself, (jokingly) this isn’t a greenhouse, it’s a spa! I would love to see more videos on this.

2. Braelynn Appleby on December 6, 2020 at 9:29 pm

i’m so glad i found this!! living in upstate NY i was afraid i would have to let my food bearing plants die and move everything into my house. and it is someone who deals with upstate’s weather. it gets so cold!!

3. IAM NYCAPPLE on December 6, 2020 at 9:39 pm

Loving Just bought greenhouse at my house long island Ny with @Amazon.com FOR $88 GOT 2 DRUMS FULL RAIN WATER ! #LETSGROWXO

4. Eileen Kaleel on December 6, 2020 at 9:40 pm

where are you located? Upstate (closer to NYC, or North Country (closer to Canada)?

5. all69anna on December 6, 2020 at 9:47 pm

Very interested in your greenhouse, and your project in general – but the repetitive video game music will stop me from watching more… I hope this was a one-off experiment.

I recommend covering your mic with something soft/fluffy – even a sock will help – to cut the wind noise.

6. Turre Tuntematon on December 6, 2020 at 9:50 pm

Great idea. The music is distracting though, not needed.

7. o0Avalon0o on December 6, 2020 at 9:52 pm

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience!

8. JoAnn Arizona on December 6, 2020 at 10:09 pm

Hi There, I do have to spend the time and about the process in your blog.. but in a nutshell .. is the barrels of water actually what is heating the greenhouse? Thanks for sharing a nice video. 🙂

9. Ricky Hursey on December 6, 2020 at 10:13 pm

Good video, just can’t here you.

10. Dan P on December 6, 2020 at 10:15 pm

Impressive project. I’m in agreement on the music.