10 Things I Wish I’d Known Before Starting a New Vegetable Garden

Growing a garden is equal parts challenging, rewarding, mystifying and uplifting. There’s a lot to learn, but we’re here to help.

Don’t make the same mistakes we did!

In this short video we’ll share our top 10 tips to help you grow a successful garden.

If you love growing your own food, why not take a look at our online Garden Planner which is available from several major websites and seed suppliers:
and many more…

To receive more gardening videos subscribe to our channel here: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=GrowVeg

If you’ve noticed any pests or beneficial insects in your garden lately please report them to us at http://BigBugHunt.com

1. olives koster on December 7, 2020 at 9:12 pm

Ok now i learnedca lot thank u sir i love this channel very simple not complecated 👍lerz exchange https://youtu.be/5xEP1XkJjNI

2. Marilia Dalabeneta on December 7, 2020 at 9:14 pm

Omg. He seems extremely friendly. Just subscribed because you seem really nice and super happy.
    I’m on waiting list for an allotment. I’m really looking forward it.

3. Pera P on December 7, 2020 at 9:14 pm

This is just superb, I’ve been looking for "organic garden plants" for a while now, and I think this has helped. You ever tried – Nonannah Hanulian Future – (do a google search ) ? Ive heard some pretty good things about it and my brother in law got cool results with it.

4. Kim Kim on December 7, 2020 at 9:15 pm

This should be taught in every school

5. Teds World on December 7, 2020 at 9:15 pm

If youre trying to do organic get some chickens in your veg garden to eat all the caterpillars that will surely arrive!

6. Neal Grey on December 7, 2020 at 9:15 pm

When I was an apprentice gardener, my boss started his 4th of July tomatoes February 20. Of course, as time goes by the tomatoes have to be transplanted to larger and larger pots. After they flower, each day just before lunch, I gave each tomato plant a good shake. This is so the self-pollinating plants will self-pollinate. Yes we had 4th of July tomatoes, but those poor plants were ‘spent’!

7. dj Royal Tee on December 7, 2020 at 9:17 pm

@1:23 Add manure…then 30 seconds later…. Hey I think i’ll cultivate with no gloves… 😲😨😳 lol..

8. rebecca Poston on December 7, 2020 at 9:18 pm

You sound like the voice of that pottery throw down show.

9. MK TIPS on December 7, 2020 at 9:19 pm

https://youtu.be/W-nWnRbX4Qs 😊😊😊 Sir please support

10. Hayden Lloyd on December 7, 2020 at 9:20 pm

Did you mention bug control? They’re a big deal.

11. Guyla Mullins on December 7, 2020 at 9:21 pm

Don’t buy plants from Walmart or Michigan Bulb and Seed. Privet hedge turned out to be Siberian elm and beefsteak tomatoes cherry tomatoes.

12. Blackberry Jack on December 7, 2020 at 9:22 pm

Great video , got a new subscriber !! My tip is to grow potoatoes in buckets , I find it so much easier 👍👍👍

13. Fiona Harvey on December 7, 2020 at 9:22 pm

Great videos I have watched about six this morning, easy to follow and very informative thank you ☘️☘️

14. S K on December 7, 2020 at 9:25 pm

Radishes and spinach do better in full sun. Especially if you are starting them in cooler weather.

15. o0Avalon0o on December 7, 2020 at 9:29 pm

I appreciate the concise, educational video! I’m not the best student, but you’re advice really helped me in my first garden.

16. Gloria Neiswender on December 7, 2020 at 9:30 pm

I am glad I found this video. Thank You for sharing !

17. Crandelli. TTV on December 7, 2020 at 9:30 pm

what is the app you used?

18. Najma Poona on December 7, 2020 at 9:31 pm

great tips we are staring a farm with 10 acres of land in Kenya .
    any advise will be welcome.

19. Unkesernec 666 on December 7, 2020 at 9:31 pm

As long as Deer birds and my dogs don’t kill it I think I’ll be ok

20. John Holloway on December 7, 2020 at 9:32 pm

Super video.
    I have a plot out back that I will be planting in a year or so. It is about 50′ by 20′. It is now just some weeds and grass.
    I do not wish to kill the weeds and grass with chemicals or by tilling. I will simply use plain garden soil and cardboard.
    Question:
    Should the cardboard be placed over the weeds and grass first and then the garden soil over the cardboard?
    OR
    should I place the garden soil over the weeds and grass first and then place the cardboard over the soil?
    Thanks

21. Eriberto III Beduya on December 7, 2020 at 9:34 pm

what is the name of the planting program? or app?

22. Magna Communications on December 7, 2020 at 9:37 pm

Awesome! Your videos are rich with easy “how to do” 👍bravo. Usually when I cut fruits, after tasting the quality I keep the seeds, wash it, store it, once the seed is semi Dry, pot it in small containers/ paper cups with garden soil compost, then adequate 💦 water, they germinate in 3 to four days depending on the seed. After the saplings grow around 12 to 15 cm I plant them in to the garden. The saplings grow in pots (incubator, nursery) quick than directly in soil. That’s what I do with kitchen gardening. 🌿

23. CAROLE FREEMAN on December 7, 2020 at 9:37 pm

I am a new gardener, who is limited to planting in pots on my patio. Do you have any advise to add for container gardeners? Please and thank you!

24. john spark on December 7, 2020 at 9:38 pm

Hahaha notice how you got your missus to do all the tidy up work

25. Cheyenne Morris on December 7, 2020 at 9:38 pm

This was great! I’m a newbie and the plant community is great!!

26. Rob Michael on December 7, 2020 at 9:41 pm

Yesterday I harvested the first salad from my brand new garden. #WIN

27. PureJoy Tarot on December 7, 2020 at 9:43 pm

Love plants, great video aswell, need more rain these days

28. Eckle Alie on December 7, 2020 at 9:43 pm

Where do I obtain your garden planner from?

29. My Bangla Garden on December 7, 2020 at 9:44 pm

Loved this video many thanks

30. Der Saa on December 7, 2020 at 9:44 pm

Tip #11:
    Don’t pour lots of water over the leaves of you tomato plants while watering it…
    3:13

31. DJS Squibbs on December 7, 2020 at 9:46 pm

I’ve been living in the tropics for almost twenty-two years now so I have fruit growing of course papayas and bananas. But this is the first time I’m really trying to grow vegetables seriously it’s an adventure. I’ve grown squash but the other ones are a little bit more difficult to grow

32. Joanna McD. on December 7, 2020 at 9:48 pm

I enjoyed watching this Video. As a beginner, this is very simple way to start up in a small garden!

33. Rod Mitchell on December 7, 2020 at 9:51 pm

My tip is to spend plenty of time getting rid of perennial weeds before starting your crops.

34. Kevin MacKenzie on December 7, 2020 at 9:52 pm

wow

35. Sohaib Romi on December 7, 2020 at 9:54 pm

I m from Pakistan my friend I want talk to you my friend God bless you please count me in WhatsApp number +923166410114 I want there working

36. Wee Annie on December 7, 2020 at 9:55 pm

Thank you. I’m just about to start my garden. My dad is a very good gardener. He gave me a tip. If you have a greenhouse burn a plastic bag on the middle of the floor close the door and leave it it will kill all insects and no nasty chemicals needed.

37. perrymatic on December 7, 2020 at 9:55 pm

I found this well worth watching.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z56L8cq12s

38. Giuseppe Veghen on December 7, 2020 at 9:56 pm

My tip is grow as much as you can on in as little space as possible as you will have loss of food due to birds and pests.
    If you start off small you have less to lose and will probably end up with nothing and you will probably not do it next year as you think it is a waste of time

39. Marx B on December 7, 2020 at 9:56 pm

Buy good quality tools. Spades and forks with steel shafts. Will save a lot of disappointment.

40. adam on December 7, 2020 at 10:00 pm

This is my first year growing fruit/veg and so far its going good. I have a large raised bed outside with carrots/3 strawberry plants/pea plants and spinach all growing great and my strawberries are nearly ready to be picked.

I also have 20 tomato seedlings 35 cayenne pepper seedlings and 30 spring onion seedlings all grown nice ready to be planted in another raised bed.

I also have a ghost chilli pepper plant in my spare room window that has a 10cm ish chilli growing.

41. Kate Williams on December 7, 2020 at 10:00 pm

Thank you for this great advice!
    I’m planning on starting a garden this weekend and I’m apprehensive as it gets incredibly hot here in Miami.
    Here’s hoping! ✨🌿👌🏼

42. Jan N on December 7, 2020 at 10:01 pm

What organic mulch can you add around vegetables in the UK? I used dried cut grass as mulch will this lead to too much nitrogen when the grass breaks down? Please let me know.

43. TYPO Live on December 7, 2020 at 10:01 pm

Great video! Thank you so much for posting. We’re looking forward to watching more🙂

44. dave courtnell on December 7, 2020 at 10:02 pm

Hi how do I access the garden planer..???

45. PJ's 11 Home & Garden DIY for KIDS on December 7, 2020 at 10:03 pm

your ugly!

46. Brian Daniels on December 7, 2020 at 10:03 pm

I’m just starting out, I mean JUST starting out. I’m building 3 beds (my first ever) in my backyard this weekend and seeds for leaf lettuce, carrots and broccoli are on the way to be planted as soon as they arrive. Wish me luck!

47. Delightful Souvenirs from the Garden on December 7, 2020 at 10:04 pm

I enjoyed that video very much, thank you for the lessons – there are some i know i wished i’ve known already, but as you say, we can improve…

48. Luke Patri on December 7, 2020 at 10:04 pm

My tip is whatever you do… grow a vege garden because of poovid19 – you never know when the chinese will send another outbreak attack

49. Groovy Grandpa Grows Veggies on December 7, 2020 at 10:05 pm

A good watch…….yes, I’ve been gardening(ornamental and vegetable) for many many years but it’s great to see other’s takes on it.

50. terry fuckwitt on December 7, 2020 at 10:07 pm

That they sell veg in shops?!