Companion Planting: Why Vegetables Need Friends

Flowers: they’re not just pretty to look at, they can really help to improve the way we grow our fruits and vegetables.

Growing a variety of flowers as companion plants in or near your vegetable garden can enhance the beauty and productivity of your plot.

In this short video we’ll show you how to harness the power of flowers to deter pests, attract beneficial insects including pollinators, and even improve your soil.

If you’ve noticed any pests or beneficial insects in your garden lately please report them to us at http://BigBugHunt.com

If you love growing your own food, why not take a look at our online Garden Planner which is available from several major websites and seed suppliers:
and many more…

To receive more gardening videos subscribe to our channel here: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=GrowVeg

1. Jack Daniel on December 9, 2020 at 9:17 pm

can u plant bush beans & chives together

2. Jyotirmoy Das on December 9, 2020 at 9:18 pm

Excellent way of Explanation. Love the to the point approach. This will be helpful for many people

3. Don Walnut Creek on December 9, 2020 at 9:19 pm

Salvias, any kind—bees and hoverflies love them!

4. sonnossonnos on December 9, 2020 at 9:21 pm

Amazing! This is just what we were looking for. It is very beneficial that you are British, so that your garden choices & layout can be replicated here in the Netherlands 🙂
    Australian/American gardeners have different logic in gardening and their tips sometimes don’t workout for northern Europeans.

5. NazTheGreat on December 9, 2020 at 9:22 pm

I was just in the process of removing many flowers to make space for veg, thanks so much for this really informative video!

New subscriber!

6. Caroline Owen on December 9, 2020 at 9:24 pm

I plant my garlic round my roses, 🙂 I’ll defo be doing all your tips 🙂

7. NixPix on December 9, 2020 at 9:25 pm

great Chanel and video I am getting started on my garden and documenting along the way

8. Debbie Henri on December 9, 2020 at 9:26 pm

Achilleas and Hemp Agrimony do a wonderful job of pulling in bees, butterflies and predators. With the Agrimony, due to its height, I have to plant it to one side of growing areas; but the shorter Achilleas make fine work in between plants. I also like to plant lots of different herbs throughout the garden. Mint has to be kept contained to stop it spreading just everywhere, but I like Thyme (smells on hot days), Oregano, and introduced sweet Cicely a couple of years ago (grew it from seed, wouldn’t be without it now).

9. Dave The Hillside Gardener on December 9, 2020 at 9:26 pm

Canna lily for hummingbirds, marigolds for pests, and dahlias for bees

10. K Lattin on December 9, 2020 at 9:27 pm

I love, Love, Love nepta. Best bee and butterfly attractor in my whole garden. There are always many bees every minute of daylight

11. Ann-Marie on December 9, 2020 at 9:27 pm

Every year I plant sunflowers, cosmos and zinnias. This year I’ve expanded and done a cutting garden with a lot more variety. I can’t wait for the pest control and the bouquets!

12. Calm Heart on December 9, 2020 at 9:31 pm

I grow vegetables along my walkway with my flowers. A win win for me! Thank you for your informational video! I especially like the wild flowers!

13. thenetnat on December 9, 2020 at 9:33 pm

Do you always call ladybirds ladybugs?

14. Rosemary Leone on December 9, 2020 at 9:33 pm

accidentally planted marigolds and holy hocks in my garden and left them because I thought they looked pretty. now I know why there were less bugs than usual. 🙂

15. Joe Navanodo on December 9, 2020 at 9:34 pm

Someone is chomping down my baby eggplants in the dark …grrr!

16. AJ Hubbell on December 9, 2020 at 9:39 pm

Thank you.

17. JL Star Sound on December 9, 2020 at 9:40 pm

Wonderful advice. Comphrey and stinging nettles are also great for lots of purposes including weed killer and plant food

18. P Prehn on December 9, 2020 at 9:40 pm

Yarrow..I use it for tea as well

19. Servant Of God on December 9, 2020 at 9:41 pm

Attract butterflies?!!
    Them mungrel things are responsible for my silver beet being eaten alive by little green alien bugs!
    Next time I see a butterfly I’ll give it a jolt from a can of WD40 and a cigarette lighter.

20. Peter Gilfillan on December 9, 2020 at 9:43 pm

Just a quick heads up. Ive been subscribed to your Channel for quite sometime however just discovered hat Id been unsubscribed? I didnt do it. Ive been finding this with many of my subscriptions, gardening, self sufficiency, Conservative sites. All the same unsubscribed but not by me : (

21. Jane Lawson on December 9, 2020 at 9:44 pm

Lavender beside the orange and lemon trees. Loads of bees

22. Dona Glosser on December 9, 2020 at 9:46 pm

Great video. Got to the point right away

23. Cat M on December 9, 2020 at 9:47 pm

i love this garden style so much more than the last video i watched which had perfect rows measured with string

24. florie Brown on December 9, 2020 at 9:48 pm

I like this method of planting I always plant flowers amongst my vegetable. last year my leeks flowered and self seeded, I noticed a clump of what looked like leeks this spring they were in clumps of 4 I pulled one up it was the most delicious leeks I have ever tasted. I also have volunteer potatoes in the garden as much as I try to harvest every thing I am always late because of other commitments, as a result lots of volunteer potatoes. I have one that has come up for 5 years and it is not available for sale any more (Lady Christelle).
    I like seeing neat all in a row vegetable planted but I do not have the time to do that instead of giving up I have put this method in practice and it works quite well I enjoy it.

25. Vivi C on December 9, 2020 at 9:49 pm

What garden planner are u using that u showed? Looks very good and I’d like to..

26. Janet N. on December 9, 2020 at 9:49 pm

I inherited a rather large Salvia plant from the previous tenant of my home. The bumblebees LOVE it! I saw two different species of bumblebee in it just yesterday.
    I’m growing my garden in containers, and have interspersed containers of marigold, snapdragon, pansies, and various herbs (rosemary and thyme chiefly) among my vegetable pots to help bring color, attract pollinators, and repel pests.

27. Helen Carter on December 9, 2020 at 9:50 pm

Rosemary plants the blue flowers attract the bees and the single dahlias keep so many insects happy.

28. jage on December 9, 2020 at 9:52 pm

Use marigolds around my 🍅 plant works great as u said. From California 😊 great vid!!!

29. zvczvcvzxcv on December 9, 2020 at 9:53 pm

Do you live in California or Oregon?

30. Rosie North on December 9, 2020 at 9:53 pm

thanks for the great info! i will leave some dandelions in my veg patch after all 😊

31. Heidi Misfeldt on December 9, 2020 at 9:54 pm

Chives and marigolds

32. Michael Taiwan MKTG on December 9, 2020 at 9:54 pm

interesting, never seen flowers like this point of view

33. Debbie Boullion on December 9, 2020 at 9:54 pm

scented jazmine bachelor button marigolds painted daisy and a lot of herbs

34. Robert Flanagan on December 9, 2020 at 9:55 pm

I need to deter moles. Bastards

35. Jessica John on December 9, 2020 at 9:59 pm

Did he say lady BUGS ? As a Brit I must admonish his choice of American vocabulary here, it’s a Ladybird sweetie .

36. Tammy Shifflett on December 9, 2020 at 10:01 pm

Here in Virginia we plant a lot of Zinnias, Marigolds and Salvia in the garden. The deer don’t like them so much.

37. Pajamas and Tea With Dede on December 9, 2020 at 10:01 pm

Where do I find the garden planner?

38. Jude Irwin on December 9, 2020 at 10:02 pm

You showed sunflowers as a companion plant to sow, but didn’t mention that they – and all members of the solanum family – need to be kept away from some crops, such as raspberries and strawberries.

39. Darlene Cox on December 9, 2020 at 10:02 pm

What flowers should I plant with my kale and collards?

40. Rose Johnson on December 9, 2020 at 10:05 pm

Brilliant video, thanks so much for posting. I’ve been growing lots of veggies during lockdown and am just planting them out so will definitely include some suggested flowers amongst them. Isn’t the creation amazing!!!!

41. Gardening for Life on December 9, 2020 at 10:05 pm

Brilliant video. Learned a lot and will follow on your advice. Thank you!

42. megz sojourn on December 9, 2020 at 10:05 pm

Thanks for the info. Kindly enumerate the flowers to plant best to act as both pollinators and helps to protect the veggies from pests. Many thanks and more power!

43. maya sujchcha on December 9, 2020 at 10:06 pm

Thanks for the great info.

44. Joan Blurton on December 9, 2020 at 10:06 pm

The best explanation I have seen. Thank you so much.

45. Rosa Stratton on December 9, 2020 at 10:10 pm

46. Hayley Moriarty on December 9, 2020 at 10:11 pm

This is so helpful to a newbie gardener in Qld, Australia. Love your helpful videos. Thank you 👏🏼🙌🏼

47. D N on December 9, 2020 at 10:11 pm

With all going on, food prices and shortages, all home grown is a winner. I just took 1 third Acre of lawn and extended the growing bed zone. People thought I was mad as I had doubled the area. Not so silly now. But I give away spare, as lots dont have the space I do. My neighbor’s are nice, so free food always a bonus

48. NoThaDaSi on December 9, 2020 at 10:12 pm

I don’t like friend very much

49. Joanne Wallace on December 9, 2020 at 10:13 pm

Could you tell us the name of the garden planning program you use here? It looks fabulous!