6 Vegetable Gardens

An introduction to the 6 family scale gardens of the RED Garden Project, each following a different gardening methodology.

Help me make more videos https://www.patreon.com/redgardens

Or use https://www.paypal.me/redgardens as a simple way to help support this project and the time and energy that goes into making videos. Thanks so much!

Homepage

An introduction to the RED Garden Project can be watched here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvpJPEp5Uks
An explanation of the context and scales of the RED Gardens can be watched here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhzIpo2yIYg

1. Michael Gabriel on December 10, 2020 at 9:19 pm

Brilliant

2. Loriful on December 10, 2020 at 9:21 pm

If the land required to produce the inputs for each of the areas was weighed in, then those areas with the most inputs would have their harvest per unit of land ratio diluted substantially. For us the harvest and land use efficiency is determined by how much of each plant we can eat at the time. If we have a ton of kale but are burned out on eating brassicas from eating a lot of arugula, then we have to put more effort into establishing more from each of the other plant families. Also a lot of plants that are torn out of the ground in the fall can survive a mid-continent winter, and such plants can be an excellent early source of food the following spring~

3. Mary Kathryn Vernon on December 10, 2020 at 9:22 pm

Bruce, I’m sorry if I missed your comments on the subject, but could you tell me if you considered raised beds? If so, and assuming that you rejected the method, can you tell me why you rejected it?

Thanks for your videos. They’re giving me some good ideas for easing the workload. I’m fast approaching eighty, so every bit helps.

4. Johnny Green Farmer on December 10, 2020 at 9:24 pm

Thanks … I find myself wanting to watch more of your videos.

5. اتحاد مشاتل الخليج العربي salem aljaber on December 10, 2020 at 9:24 pm

أستاذ وصاحب فكر كبير
    ليث المجتمع يتعلم منك ليستفيد
    شكرا السيد رد

6. TN Gardener on December 10, 2020 at 9:25 pm

I’m going through the process of finding the best way for my location so this video is perfect. Thank You!

7. john johnson on December 10, 2020 at 9:26 pm

Man with the plan:)

8. Benjamin McGinnis on December 10, 2020 at 9:27 pm

Any update on the perennial garden? Curious to see how it’s evolved

9. Lutas 野人 on December 10, 2020 at 9:28 pm

This one is truly the most scientific gardening channel nowadays

10. Bonnie Doon Homestead on December 10, 2020 at 9:28 pm

Ambitious endeavor, I am enjoying your videos although I have to chuckle anytime you try to tell me that socialist squirrel green BS. For example, fossil fuels, gas, etc fear mongering is hilarious. There is this strategy of fermentation that will allow engines to keep running even if the chicken littles pushing their books filled with others innovations they "repackaged" will the oil wells to stop pumping the black gold. However, the only time that happens is when socialism is implemented…go figure. That being said I like your ambitious project. It is a noble quest to test these approaches but I think your missing the point of all these gardening approaches. Think of these approaches to grow food as tools in your tool belt. Each approach has pro’s and cons but I applaud you for trying it in your landscape. You will find this to be true over time, but I think you will find faster success if you think of these as tools for you the gardener instead of growing religions that can only have one devoted loyal servant. As the good tender of the Vineyard, you have the freedom to fail and prosper but always learn with each rising and setting sun. You got this, don’t over think it, just grow it.

11. Christian Hipp on December 10, 2020 at 9:30 pm

Could anyone explain the concept of growing a crop just for biomass? I don’t quite understand how you could increase the amount of nutrients in soil by using plants that have grown, taking nutrients from that same soil.

12. Miranda F on December 10, 2020 at 9:31 pm

Wow! What you are doing is so fantastic!!! Love how you are experimenting with different methods,. Thank you for sharing what you are learning.

13. Václav Čermák on December 10, 2020 at 9:31 pm

Bummer we can’t fast-forward a few years to see how each garden is doing.

14. taruna idsan on December 10, 2020 at 9:34 pm

really love your video. love from Indonesia sir.

15. Liam Hathaway on December 10, 2020 at 9:35 pm

Such an amazing project. This is a true test to see what works best in different situations. I’ve always felt so confused after reading from different gardening authors.

16. Rami James on December 10, 2020 at 9:37 pm

If you can add links to the books that would be great for us and a revenue source for you.

17. Life Learner on December 10, 2020 at 9:37 pm

Thanks for sharing the book titles and authors.

18. Eleanor Williams on December 10, 2020 at 9:37 pm

It’s really helpful that you are being clear about which methods require the most resources to set up and maintain. One of the main barriers for me, and probably many other people, is the moolah to buy enough compost/mulch/improvers to start some of the types of garden you are researching. I’m setting up a hot compost pile to deal with the mounds of weeds I’m getting from clearing my garden. It makes sense to me to put composting at the front of my own journey, alongside clearing. That way by the time I’ve settled on what or which methods I want to try out – I’ll hopefully have a little free (and weed seed free) compost available to me. I’m hearing that homemade ‘teas’ like nettle tea are good as plant feeds, so I will leave some nettles and other weeds in the ground. Would you be kind enough to make a ‘tea’ video at some point in the future? Best, Ellie 🙂

19. siddharth seran on December 10, 2020 at 9:40 pm

I’ve decided to watch your videos in chronological order. And finally I see a couple of dislikes on this one. I’m of the belief that this could be a result of you shaving your beard.? Cos the content is just awesome. I can’t think of another reaosn.

20. FREEDOM WOOD GAS and OFF GRID IN THE OZARKS on December 10, 2020 at 9:46 pm

Hey, thanks for the info on Coleman’s book. thats one gardening book that I will purchase

21. Mark Colbert on December 10, 2020 at 9:46 pm

Great channel Bruce. Always a mine of information

22. Joseph Larsen on December 10, 2020 at 9:46 pm

i like the idea of doing no dig with chickens like paul gautschi does in his back to eden garden (which is just a no dig garden). Might make it work better in your environment

23. peter kooolwijk on December 10, 2020 at 9:48 pm

Good stuff! Surely interested and will find more of your videos. Thank you for making them.

24. pardotkynes1 on December 10, 2020 at 9:48 pm

I have a new favorite gardening channel.

25. Vaughn Malecki on December 10, 2020 at 9:50 pm

The greatest project of our generation!

26. Bobbi West on December 10, 2020 at 9:51 pm

Informative, thank you. Beautiful gardens. Healthy looking crops. I prefer the tunnel. Less weathered crops.

27. Sylvia Ramos on December 10, 2020 at 9:54 pm

What about "Square Foot Gardening" by Mel Bartholomew? The first version of the book sold 2 million copies back in the 80’s. I just heard about it recently. Seems very popular!

28. Rami James on December 10, 2020 at 9:54 pm

I hugely look forward to your videos. Thanks for sharing your detailed knowledge.

29. Robert M on December 10, 2020 at 9:54 pm

Where did you find that companion planting chart?

30. Radu Adrian on December 10, 2020 at 9:55 pm

9:30 I think I saw a rat or a small cat running outside the tunnel.

31. Amedeo Nofal on December 10, 2020 at 9:55 pm

This video is four years old, and it’s very interesting to listen a direct comparison on different methods, i would like to listen what you’d say now…
    Did you make any recent video comparing these different systems? Or are you planning to?
    Thanks for sharing, it’s really valuable

32. Hjgghbb Vhhgghj on December 10, 2020 at 9:56 pm

I like your approach to your channel. I look forward to following your work. Great job!

33. Edwin Karani on December 10, 2020 at 9:57 pm

Thanks for sharing important information.

34. Mike Brown on December 10, 2020 at 9:57 pm

I’ve come back to this from your latest video and wow! What a huge change you have gone through with making your videos. You have every reason to be proud of yourself

35. Laura K on December 10, 2020 at 9:58 pm

Great video,very informative,thank you for it

36. David Vavra on December 10, 2020 at 10:00 pm

I like that we are in similar climates.
    What works in Ireland, should work here, SW of Seattle.

37. Jarid Gaming on December 10, 2020 at 10:02 pm

Whenever I listen to your videos I have to turn my volume all the way up to hear you. In editing can you raise the volume just slightly? (In future Videos)

38. J Merritt on December 10, 2020 at 10:02 pm

poly culture is and always will be primo, I have experience for sure.

39. Jathan Gilbert on December 10, 2020 at 10:03 pm

What do you think of Dick Raymond’s gardening method from The Joy of Gardening?

40. Healthy Roots & Strong Wings on December 10, 2020 at 10:04 pm

Great content and valuable info! Gardens look happy 🙂

41. RonnygoBOOM on December 10, 2020 at 10:05 pm

I love your scientific approach. I’m excited to keep learning about what you find

42. Laurence Gomez on December 10, 2020 at 10:05 pm

Very informative, thank you.

43. jeffstarrunner1 on December 10, 2020 at 10:07 pm

Double digging, in the polycarp, with mulch like no till. idk, I’mjust imagining the perfect one would take the best from each.

44. Shreshth Mohan on December 10, 2020 at 10:09 pm

Thanks for all this hard work. Very informative content.

45. debra c on December 10, 2020 at 10:09 pm

what a Guy. south east coast USA

46. Doubledig on December 10, 2020 at 10:11 pm

Great videos Bruce, and well done for all the work and research you do. If you had the space and time I’d like to see the results/comparisons of a Biodynamic garden.

47. Poly Organza on December 10, 2020 at 10:15 pm

Where do you get all this time? What do you do for a living?

48. Smokeydabee Charles Coleman on December 10, 2020 at 10:17 pm

Is it difficult to keep in form/Technique (to maintain integrity of the particular gardening style) when moving from garden to garden ? If so, maybe a video covering those similar situations is in order. Great channel. I like the question, "What is the best method of growing food? ". I think that a more complete question is being answered here already though. What is the best method for ME… to grow food. Me being anyone watching this channel. Thank you again.

49. London Worms & Garden on December 10, 2020 at 10:18 pm

Really interesting gardening approaches. We’ve recently acquired a small 30ft x 30ft plot and we’re hoping to be able to develop it as a no dig plot eventually once we’ve dug out all the rubble! It’s been neglected for years and seems to have been used as a dumping ground at some point in the past.

50. Anna at Four Day Homestead on December 10, 2020 at 10:18 pm

New subscriber .. Great video’s.