The COOLEST Water Feature to DIY

Made this for my Wife 🙂
I made a followup Q&A Video! Check it out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifVnUNPQeV8

Links:

Liner –
Pump –
Light –
Timer –

Hello my name is Travis Jantzer! I’m a vlogger from Oregon in the PNW. Online I go by TJantzer. My wife’s name is Cassie and our daughter born in spring of 2019 is named Hazel. If you watch our videos you’ll learn we love rock climbing (particularly bouldering), ultimate frisbee, road trips, diy projects, and drones. We converted a van to a camper for vanlife and take road trips when we have time. We play ultimate in the fall. Climb in the gym from fall to spring. Play Frisbee again in the spring. And play sand volleyball with our friends through the summer. I wrote a book and love writing poetry. Cassie loves watercolor painting and pencil sketching. We both enjoy cooking though she is way better at it. I started on Youtube in 2011 but did not take it seriously until 2018 and even then I was inconsistent. In 2020 my resolution is to make one video every weekend and post it by Tuesday of that week. My passion is video editing. I started doing wedding videos last year and this year got a job shooting real estate photos and video. I still consider myself an amateur, but I’m learning something new with every video.
My goals for 2020:
1 video every week
500 subscribers on Youtube
$10,000 earned from local video and photo gigs ($1000 earned but, Covid..)

Subscribe to my channel to follow along. Comment below if you relate to anything you see, or have any questions.
I’ll respond to as many comments as I see!

You can find me on Instagram and Twitter with “TJantzer” and visit my website to see my writing and blog posts at TJantzer.com

Thanks for stopping by!
I’ll see you next Tuesday.

-Travis Jantzer

Music:

Song: Till – Lucid Dreaming

Title Sequence:
Track: Tritan – Hollow Life (feat. Ratfoot) [NCS Release]
Music provided by NoCopyrightSounds.
Watch: https://youtu.be/WsMqp85TtaM
Free Download / Stream: http://ncs.io/HollowLife

1. Roy The 4th on December 11, 2020 at 9:27 pm

Very clever just found your channel, glad I did cheers.

2. autumn1231 on December 11, 2020 at 9:27 pm

just call it a FOUNTAIN…….am I the only one that dislikes the word "water feature"?

3. Jay_vidzz on December 11, 2020 at 9:27 pm

Looks awesome what concrete did you use?

4. John Grossmann on December 11, 2020 at 9:27 pm

Covid killed off some projects summer 2020 as I could not always get the parts. I like this for a 2021 project and have been thinking it might be cool to incorporate some very colorful tiles on the exposed surfaces. It makes the project more complicated but gives you a chance to play with color. (I studied Gaudi when I was in college)

5. nicole mohamed on December 11, 2020 at 9:29 pm

What kid of board is used for the base. How heavy is this water feature

6. Virve Georgeson on December 11, 2020 at 9:30 pm

Thanks for this easy to make novel, modern art, water fountain. It’s the best design I’ve seen for a DIY fountain. I plan to make a small one – 15" tall with a container underneath covered with rocks for water storage and pump, to put on the raised platform of my wood stove as a work of art that provides soothing water sounds. Concrete is perfect in an area close to a woodstove.

7. Wake up and Live on December 11, 2020 at 9:33 pm

Nice but what happens when that wood rots over time

8. Lucas on December 11, 2020 at 9:36 pm

Why not just place a couple of the round rocks/or some unique rock on the bottom instead of the board? I love it though. Solid fountain.

9. UnderdogWarrior on December 11, 2020 at 9:36 pm

Build a lip around the sides and put some smaller or med size river rocks on the horizontal flat part

10. Scott Nance on December 11, 2020 at 9:38 pm

You’re awesome! so glad you made this, we were going to do a rain curtain with more steps involved and you came in at the right time for ours. We do want to go 6 feet tall and 5 feet wide, hopefully we can move it ? So I guess I ill need a 800 plus for pump momentum

11. Rich Cerullo on December 11, 2020 at 9:41 pm

This is fantastic!! Great idea, thanks for sharing

12. Jonathan Vaughan on December 11, 2020 at 9:44 pm

Nice work bud landscaping my yard currently from Melbourne Australia

13. Alan Schenne DO on December 11, 2020 at 9:46 pm

Great video – thanks for the tips

14. Marianna Geoffrey on December 11, 2020 at 9:47 pm

love those kinds of water feature installation so relaxing to have. I just have mine done by https://purelyponds.com/water-feature-installation/ it has become our favorite hangout now.

15. Darren Reesor on December 11, 2020 at 9:47 pm

Not trying to be negative but I see a couple things in your build that will be problems in the future. First the plywood you the the concrete sitting on will rot very quickly and the concrete will likely fall over. Secondly without a plastic basin underneath it will make it difficult to drain in the winter. To fix these you could use a plastic tote for a basin. Then use a material called egg crate to support the cement block. Its plastic won’t rot and holds a lot of weight.

16. iq4f on December 11, 2020 at 9:47 pm

Just found Travis! ! Wow! Loved his straight to the point no nonsense diy video’s and loved his fountains! I’ll watch him again..hope to start making fountains for our new home! Thanks Travis!

17. Rebekah Nance on December 11, 2020 at 9:50 pm

Great job! I would like a taller one like 6 ft tall. Do you think I would have to angle the concrete for less noise?

18. Chris C on December 11, 2020 at 9:51 pm

love this. i have been looking around for tub sizes for the water, or how to set it straight, like on posts. but you just used pond liner and concrete blocks i think. sounds much simpler.

19. Kyle S on December 11, 2020 at 9:51 pm

Now I’m wanting to start making one of these of my own. Maybe even tweak the design?

20. RTG RTG on December 11, 2020 at 9:53 pm

How about a Video at NIGHT so we can see the Fountain Lights

21. Bob O'Connor on December 11, 2020 at 9:56 pm

You could add a piece of steel angle in place of that wood. Every steel yard has a cutoff section where you can pick smaller pieces to avoid paying for a whole stick. They’ll even cut it to the exact length you would need. It would rust to a natural patina that would look great there.

22. Stephen Webb on December 11, 2020 at 9:57 pm

Very cool

23. Travis Jantzer on December 11, 2020 at 9:57 pm

Hey guys so I’ve put a 400 GPH pump on the water feature and it runs pretty nice, a little quieter with the less water. When you’re picking a pump size anything between 400 and 800 gallons per hour should work!

24. SilvaMC on December 11, 2020 at 9:58 pm

I spray my concrete molds with Pam before I pour the concrete. Mold comes off easy.

25. Magg Yela on December 11, 2020 at 9:58 pm

Love it

26. Jill Jankovits on December 11, 2020 at 9:59 pm

Beautiful! Could this be done with hypertufa? Any chance a solar pump would work?

27. Larry Studer on December 11, 2020 at 9:59 pm

OPINION– the sound of falling water hitting concrete or rocks is the magic ingredient that makes the serene, calming emotional response, which is certainly what I would desire. Unless it’s SO loud it’s a disturbance to you or your neughbors. You touch on that at the end. A timer is a good solution for at night.

28. Chris Stubbings Pond , garden and fish enthusiast on December 11, 2020 at 10:00 pm

Just amazing.. That is cool.
    My ponds are natural looking but I love what you did.

29. safi456 on December 11, 2020 at 10:00 pm

Does your wife know how lucky she is? A man that can DIY is a keeper. Ok, stupid question, but what is the water source? I’m really confused.

30. Jon Bishop on December 11, 2020 at 10:01 pm

If Your Neighbor would complain of a running waterfall they have some serious problems, If it was a noisy Rooster I could understand but running water is really relaxing

31. ER Simon on December 11, 2020 at 10:01 pm

Lov it…I want mine 6 feet tall…oh yeah

32. cool sisters on December 11, 2020 at 10:08 pm

Very clear

33. Your Brand's Needs on December 11, 2020 at 10:09 pm

is the water all constantly recycled?

34. K Wheatley on December 11, 2020 at 10:11 pm

Love love love thank you for your talent

35. Petros Petran on December 11, 2020 at 10:11 pm

Woow amazing garden..

36. pensive69 on December 11, 2020 at 10:12 pm

My thought on dampening the waterfall impact noise would be
    to just set larger creek or river rocks on the concrete sill.
    Something sized to be large enough to hold their position
    and not be knocked off by the flow?

37. x Steel on December 11, 2020 at 10:13 pm

What about using a cement backer board, doubled, for the base, instead of plywood?

38. Sean Williams on December 11, 2020 at 10:15 pm

For the 20" one for you mom, what size wood did you use for the mold? 1×4?

39. Lynda46 on December 11, 2020 at 10:15 pm

Nice looking, but the timber it is standing on will rot and collapse. (Yes, not strait away, but it will, better to use bricks)

40. pensive69 on December 11, 2020 at 10:16 pm

Very nice project and interesting video.
    I might avoid placing any wood / plywood under a wet concrete
    yard fountain if I did this one.

41. Manny Sanchez on December 11, 2020 at 10:17 pm

Looks great!!!

42. Mark Vasiloff on December 11, 2020 at 10:18 pm

How long will the wooden base you attached to the bottom last?

43. Raymond Van Tassel on December 11, 2020 at 10:20 pm

KOHL !!!!!

44. Jeannette Velasquez on December 11, 2020 at 10:21 pm

Very nicely done!
    My question is is did you cover or wrap the flat plywood the cement structure sits on above the lined hole under the working water feature to preserve the flat board?

45. Rashmi Talwar on December 11, 2020 at 10:22 pm

Travis Dear,
    I loved your water feature …❤️❤️❤️
    However I have three issues that need a solution.
    1) In our country fungus develops on and around wet rocks and even in pipes . How to keep fungus at bay ?
    2. How to clean , empty and refill the water . I would really appreciate if the water had two systems … One for drainage alongside simultaneous filling of fresh water. The underflow could water plants near and around. While the other is to circulate the water for the fall.
    3. How does the water fall almost evenly along the bar, giving an effect of curtain water fall? Is there a slant on both sides from the center, for water to flow along before falling ?
    Plz guide me.
    Thanks for this beautiful video & Regards
    Rashmi Talwar
    India
    14 Oct 2020

46. SF0311 on December 11, 2020 at 10:23 pm

That looks awesome great idea. Also the wood you use to dampen the sound gives it a nice touch.

47. Marianna Geoffrey on December 11, 2020 at 10:23 pm

those water features are amazing, would love to copy some of it to add to my backyard. We have a pond made by PurelyPonds.com and with those added my backyard will look amazing.

48. x Steel on December 11, 2020 at 10:23 pm

Man, great video! Simple, once you showed it, and very elegant too. I like the louder water sound of this one so it will drown out street noise when in use.

49. Jorge Uribe on December 11, 2020 at 10:23 pm

How big is the square inside?

50. bluecamarodriver94 on December 11, 2020 at 10:26 pm

Nice I like the concept very cool man