How Our Winter Garden Survived -23°F (-31°C) With No Heat

Please join me for an update on our winter garden after a week of subzero temperatures and a low of -23°F (-31°C).

If you shop on Amazon, you can support OYR simply by clicking this link (bookmark it too) before shopping: http://www.amazon.com/?tag=oneya-20

Agribon Row Cover: http://amzn.to/2meQI4a

Highlights:
0:22 How we protected plants from the cold
0:22 Didn’t remove snow from north wall and bottom of hoop house
0:50 Covered outside and inside of door with 6 mil greenhouse film
1:52 Why I did not use supplemental heat
2:23 Covered cold frame and low tunnels with 2 extra layers of 6 mil greenhouse film (5 layers of cover total)
3:42 Temperatures outside versus hoop house
4:34 How did the plants hold up to the extreme cold?
6:50 The plants we’re growing are more cold hardy than most people think

Oscar Cameos:
4:14 4:34 6:21 8:16

I’m passionate about an approach to organic gardening that is frugal, easy, sustainable, and works with nature to achieve amazing results. My videos will help you grow more healthy organic fruits and vegetables, while working less and saving money. I don’t push gardening products. I don’t hype bogus “garden secrets”. I provide evidence based strategies to help you grow a lot of food on a little land without spending much or working harder than you have to!

1. Marcus Aetius on December 12, 2020 at 9:34 pm

Wind chill would not be a factor in the interior.

2. 907 250r on December 12, 2020 at 9:34 pm

Its usually not that cold when its overcast. Usually coldest days are clear, 30 years in fairbanks Alaska

3. Alice Shull on December 12, 2020 at 9:34 pm

OMG ….What an adorable little batman mask cat you have!!!! SOOOO STINKING CUTE!!

4. Patrick BUNINO on December 12, 2020 at 9:35 pm

plastic plastic and plastic and plastic. Nothing better ??

5. Doldena R on December 12, 2020 at 9:35 pm

Just a question if you had -20 for 2-3 months would they still live?

6. Dwn Syndrome • on December 12, 2020 at 9:37 pm

Vegans trying to prove you can grow plants at any climate lol.

7. pisswobble on December 12, 2020 at 9:40 pm

It gets bloody cold there, dunt it😬

8. James Hesse on December 12, 2020 at 9:40 pm

Wind chill is only for skin

9. Nancy VanRyswyk on December 12, 2020 at 9:41 pm

Is this growing produce, or just storing it until harvest? When did you plant these vegetables? Do you see any growth on these vegetables when it is cold and little light?

10. Alph on December 12, 2020 at 9:45 pm

Cool weather crops are hardy. Glad they made it for you !!!

11. KC 76 on December 12, 2020 at 9:46 pm

Cute cat! Great work, thanks for sharing!

12. Glowina Glowina on December 12, 2020 at 9:46 pm

Please,where is this place ?How long is winter and daily media temperature ? Ty

13. Alok Rawat on December 12, 2020 at 9:46 pm

Don’t you think, plastic is not good for our environment? I am Just asking what have you do with your plastic after last use?
    Hope you given these plastics to recycling companies😊

14. Xxbrøken_ SøulsxX on December 12, 2020 at 9:46 pm

-31 idiots

15. Carmel Callan on December 12, 2020 at 9:49 pm

Impressive! Thank you

16. Chitra Rani on December 12, 2020 at 9:53 pm

Great job and yes I’m very encouraged to move forward with winter gardening! Thanks

17. URBAN GIRL GARDENING - Kee Kee Soto on December 12, 2020 at 9:54 pm

This is amazing! Great job!!

18. Growing with Mr.Blueface on December 12, 2020 at 9:55 pm

Plants lookin good nice video would u subscribe to my channel i am a subscriber of yours thanks alot

19. Geri Reski on December 12, 2020 at 9:57 pm

How about running a ceiling fan inside the greenhouse during coldest nights? Citrus growers do that in the open..??

20. The Newman's on December 12, 2020 at 9:57 pm

Great job! Now all you have to do is to put a large dark color stone inside to attract the sun to heat it up and then the stone acts as a heat synch giving back the heat at night. 🍻

21. Sean on December 12, 2020 at 10:00 pm

Where’d you get that hoodie? That looks sick😂

22. Sackmatters on December 12, 2020 at 10:01 pm

Wild chill does not effect actual temperature what so ever. Especially if it’s within a controlled area without moving air.

23. Richard Shields on December 12, 2020 at 10:01 pm

The cat made it as well. 🥶

24. Yardley J on December 12, 2020 at 10:02 pm

I am thankful for the conversion in Celsius, I am in Canada!

25. stephen krawiec on December 12, 2020 at 10:03 pm

Smart I would have done same thing.

26. David Tran on December 12, 2020 at 10:05 pm

Wow, impressive. I wonder what temperature is inside your loop

27. Kathy Hirsch on December 12, 2020 at 10:05 pm

wow good job

28. Test Test Chicken Nugget on December 12, 2020 at 10:05 pm

Hey you can have you some chicken nuggets out on that weather

29. Phillip Erskine on December 12, 2020 at 10:07 pm

Manure and straw compost also puts off heat if one can load a greenhouse up as much as possible it will produce heat during decomposing. FYI have a great day

30. Glowina Glowina on December 12, 2020 at 10:07 pm

1..before using these tunnels,how did you have vegetables (if got it) ?
    2..how people lived in these cold places…without tunnels ? what did they usually eat ?

31. Агрон Департье on December 12, 2020 at 10:08 pm

Where is/how many sunny days you have per year and during the winter ?

32. Antler City Style on December 12, 2020 at 10:08 pm

This was really fascinating!

33. Jan Kessell on December 12, 2020 at 10:09 pm

We never get temperatures this low where I garden in Oregon, but I sure wonder how you’re doing. I miss your videos. I hope all is well with you.

34. holisticpoet on December 12, 2020 at 10:12 pm

I am a market gardener in central NY and I have had colder temperatures with no extra covers in the the greenhouse and nothing dies. The absence of the brutal wind is the main factor in keeping plants alive. If you let the wind get them they will die. Cold temps without wind do not damage cold hearty plants.

35. Isabel Garcia on December 12, 2020 at 10:12 pm

Tank you that is amazing I live in a cold weather I will consider to do taht

36. Ruby Cone on December 12, 2020 at 10:12 pm

Looks like an igloo

37. Her Simple Happiness on December 12, 2020 at 10:12 pm

Thanks for your great tips ,I’m looking for how to protect my plants and grow vegetable in cold season. So now I will try for my plants . Thanks again and happy weekend bro

38. william collinsworth on December 12, 2020 at 10:14 pm

My grandpa would use a wall of water for keeping the plants warm, water absorbed the sunlight in the day, stay warm all night.

39. Dee h on December 12, 2020 at 10:14 pm

Thank you for sharing all your helpful knowledge thru your videos. My husband built me a 8X10 hoop style non-heated greenhouse. I have killed my share of flowers trying to overwinter them. Can I use your method to overwinter some of my annual/perennial plants grown in zone 8?

40. Leanne Howes on December 12, 2020 at 10:19 pm

Burry pipes in the ground, run hot water through that’s heated by a fire. Keeps the ground from freezing over winter 😊👍♥️

41. Geovanni D. on December 12, 2020 at 10:20 pm

Those plants look like they are just barely hanging on.

42. colourful64able on December 12, 2020 at 10:20 pm

Because YouTube is international.. shouldn’t you be using the metric system. Only the USA uses the imperial system.

43. Master Dan Price on December 12, 2020 at 10:24 pm

I use the grocery store for my greens It works amazingly when it gets below zero

44. JRESHOW on December 12, 2020 at 10:24 pm

Great video! What are the white cylinder things you use to attach the plastic to the pvc? It’s like a pvc tube with a slit down the center to attach the plastic… I’ve never seen those?

45. OYR Frugal & Sustainable Organic Gardening on December 12, 2020 at 10:28 pm

Highlights:
    0:22 How we protected plants from the cold
    0:22 Didn’t remove snow from north wall and bottom of hoop house
    0:50 Covered outside and inside of door with 6 mil greenhouse film
    1:52 Why I did not use supplemental heat
    3:42 Temperatures outside versus hoop house
    4:34 How did the plants hold up to the extreme cold?
    6:50 The plants we’re growing are more cold hardy than most people think

Oscar Cameos:
    4:14 4:34 6:21 8:16

46. fojnica222 on December 12, 2020 at 10:29 pm

good work…greetings from croatia

47. Demon Z on December 12, 2020 at 10:29 pm

if you put a secondary door on it you could open it even when its a little colder

48. Caprio Mrówkicz on December 12, 2020 at 10:30 pm

Montana state? Or Minessota?

49. Carmen Rivera on December 12, 2020 at 10:31 pm

Whose the 246 idiots who didn’t like this? Goes to show everyone has haters even those who don’t deserve them. 🤦

50. Jose Perdomo on December 12, 2020 at 10:32 pm

thank you for this video.