The Best Fruit Trees for Containers, Pot Sizes, Requirements & More!

Like any fruit tree, there are special requirements when growing them in containers or pots. They have a limited amount of soil, water and nutrients. Therefore these guys need more attention & care. In this video I talk about my 6-7 years of experience growing fruit trees in containers, the pot sizes and even a little bit of up-potting at the end. Enjoy!

Zone 7A – Greater Philadelphia
Website & Blog: https://www.figboss.com/

Social Media:

The Fruit Talk! Podcast: https://anchor.fm/rossraddi

Support My Work!
Become a Patron: https://www.patreon.com/rossraddi
Consulting Services: https://www.figboss.com/consulting

Cuttings & Plants for Sale!
Our Shop: https://www.figbid.com/Browse?Seller=rossraddi

Other important links:
The Ever-expanding Spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/X6ye9e
Growing Fruit Trees Community: http://growingfruit.org/
Growing Fig Trees Community: https://www.ourfigs.com/
2018 Fig Variety Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/a9MLNYaf3pqxNU7p9
2019 Fig Variety Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/bSFfDZnVuwSeZ9Bi8

1. Zoom Zoom Boom on December 13, 2020 at 9:35 pm

Ok, ok. You had me at, "Okay everybody this is Ross Raddi."

Just casually walking over to the tree while introducing yourself had me intrigued and eager to learn what you had to say.

Don’t ask me to grow them in the grown. My kids have vanished me from the garden as I’ve killed fifteen citrus trees and most definitely earned the nickname … "Black Thumb Plant Killer!’ in our household.

So…I’m here to learn to be a better gardener.

Sad when your fifteen and seventeen year olds are better at growing plants than yourself… 😢😁😁😂😂

2. Timothy Entinger on December 13, 2020 at 9:37 pm

Very concise and lots of good information for a beginner like me. A lot of other channels just ramble on about nothing and it seems like they never cover anything useful.

3. Chris Swain on December 13, 2020 at 9:37 pm

I have a brown Turkey fig in a half wine barrel. 2 questions: 1) how do you root prune in that size container? 2) how do you know when to root prune?

4. John S on December 13, 2020 at 9:38 pm

Thanks for sharing Ross! Another great video. Just sharing a different approach, how I setup my containers now. I have shifted from straight potting type soils to 70% garden soil (literally from my backyard yard) and 30% citrus/cactus mix and have noticed my young trees do substantially better. I have heavy clay soil high in trace elements that has been inoculated with Myko so I don’t have to do much amendment except for routine fertilization. Plus, when i transplant into the ground, the tree is basically already acclimated to my soils ph. I’ve found they are more vigorous and produce better. Happy gardening everyone!

5. L O F E N O I A L O F on December 13, 2020 at 9:40 pm

I have some questions .

1 ) When planting figs in ground , I would like their roots to not become too invasive as it would be about 7-10 feet from a house. When planting digs near a house , would pruning them to a smaller size ( 7-10 feet tall ) help to control root vigor or do roots expand independently from the top size?

2 ) are persimmon roots invasive? I just planted one about 5-7 feet from the house .

3 ) Just to clarify , “Soil Comditioners “ are what you recommend for potted fruit trees , not “ Potting Soil ? I tried planting some bananas in pots with 100% compost from the nursery and the trees turned pale and the soil felt like it got compacted and the roots couldn’t breathe , so I re potted them in a more breathable mix and they seem happier . Putting them in the ground , as you recommend , is the next step . I first have to prep the soil .

Thank you so much !

6. Viral Videos on December 13, 2020 at 9:42 pm

you are absolutely right . what i found from my experience is root temps are more important then air temps . We have very hot summer with scorching heat waves temps 47 C /116 F and black pots really bake all the roots result in stunted growth . What i do , i paint them white . What i notice is i have few Key lime trees , one which is in 18*18 inch hdpe grow bag shows no sign of stress and the one in plastic pot grey color gets cooked (sun burnt leaves as well as fruits ) . I checked the soil temp of both of them and their was big difference .Grow bag arounf 28-30 C and plastic one around 37-39 C,. Same with my habaneroes orange , one in clay pot and loaded with fruits while in plastic pot dropping flowers from last 2 months

7. slipknot95maggot on December 13, 2020 at 9:43 pm

Pineapple and Passion Vine. A lot of my tropicals are indeed varying degrees of "labors of love" and it’s too early for me to say where Dragon Fruit falls on that curve as it’s off to a promising start but considerations loom; but Pineapple and Passion Vine are def easy. Passion Vine has one consideration but that’s really it and then it’s nothing. Propagation is too easy and it fruits in no time. And pineapples may be the closest thing tropical fruits have to a "cast-iron plant." It’s just slow…. But you basically do nothing. Also pretty sure nothing around here knows to care to bother it; I think one leaf of one Pineapple plant got one hole from insect damage once. I have *certainly* not tried everything but so far those two stand above the rest in terms of ease, with the possible inclusion of Dragon Fruit depending on how late stage looks (I’d guess it’ll settle at third place)

8. Rinjani Ranch on December 13, 2020 at 9:47 pm

I’ve grown bananas in pots. The mother will always die after fruiting whether or not in ground. Pups will grow quickly into new mothers vegetatively. So it’s not the fault of the container growing, it’s just what bananas do. I had more than 100 bananas growing in Las Vegas, the desert climate demanded a drip irrigation system but they can be grown in containers.

9. ninjaraph on December 13, 2020 at 9:51 pm

Great video! Exactly what i needed

10. Holden Beck on December 13, 2020 at 9:53 pm

I have a dwarf cavendish in the beginning of its second full season that started fruiting 3 weeks ago. It is in 25 gal pot. Like you said Ross, lots of money on fertilizer over the summers. Also will not fit in typical 8′ ceiling house over winter. I used a 3-1 ratio of SC- compost, but would do more compost if I could do over.

11. Mike Nordvik on December 13, 2020 at 10:03 pm

Awesome video Ross!! Thanks for sharing

12. SoCal Kevin on December 13, 2020 at 10:04 pm

Lots of great information in this vid! Explanation pot sizes vs weight/portability vs watering/fertilization was excellent. I settled on 25 gallon smart pots a few years ago because that’s pretty much the max I can move with a dolly without too much effort. And that’s with using light mixes like potting soil and waiting for it to dry out before moving. You’re right on with 15gal being what’s moveable for the average person. That’s the best option for portability.

13. Rocco Conte on December 13, 2020 at 10:07 pm

Dont buck the odds too much , exotic fruit trees in containers is not worth it , Stick with the figs if you can do well with figs consider your self lucky.

14. NM Nate on December 13, 2020 at 10:11 pm

I agree a lot about vigor. Most of my potted trees are semi dwarf. If you have space, planting in the ground is definitely easier. I find potted evergreen trees to be a massive pain in the butt, but if you have easy winter sun… citrus are great trees as long as you know how to treat them. My trees are between 3 gallon and 15 gallon. 15 starts to get pretty heavy to drag around. I really like 7 gallon pots, but I haven’t tried 10 gallon yet. I have blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, apriums, pluerries, figs, bush cherries, persimmons, citrus and feijoa. Had haskaps, poms, and jujubes in the past but those do way better in the ground here.

15. Irtaza Tahir on December 13, 2020 at 10:20 pm

Thanks for the video ross. You mentioned pawpaws in containers? How effective was that? Were you able to get them to fruit?

16. Space Life Cooking and Gardening on December 13, 2020 at 10:21 pm

😀👍😀👍😀👍 like 18 from us bro

17. Ali Imtiaz on December 13, 2020 at 10:24 pm

Can I plant lechi in New York zone 7 ?
    Also citrus

18. babichevi on December 13, 2020 at 10:27 pm

Pawpaws? I thought they had a tap root.

19. Stephen T on December 13, 2020 at 10:32 pm

I have several different sweet cherry trees That I bought bare root this year in 5 gallon pots. They are roughly 4 feet tall but they are one straight stalk with leaves growing on it. How do I get them to shoot branches out???

20. ShaneyElderberry on December 13, 2020 at 10:33 pm

I agree with your observations. Subtropical plants should be planted in a large greenhouse or conservatory.

21. Sean Monaghan on December 13, 2020 at 10:34 pm

Hey Ross! Great video from the Fig Boss! I was curious to know if you have experience growing raspberries or blackberries in pots? My fear is that if I put them in the ground, they will invade other areas of the yard, or worse, spread to the neighbors. I know they need a lot of root space, so I was looking at 30-gallon root pouches, but is this something you’ve already attempted?