Gear Heads | Growing Fresh Herbs with Indoor Gardens

Countertop garden systems promise to make it easy to grow fresh herbs. But do they deliver? Lisa and Hannah put them to the test.

Buy our winning Indoor Garden on Amazon: https://cooks.io/2xnKzJ6
Read the full review: https://cooks.io/2NpLSSH

ABOUT US: Located in Boston’s Seaport District in the historic Innovation and Design Building, America’s Test Kitchen features 15,000 square feet of kitchen space including multiple photography and video studios. It is the home of Cook’s Illustrated magazine and Cook’s Country magazine and is the workday destination for more than 60 test cooks, editors, and cookware specialists. Our mission is to test recipes over and over again until we understand how and why they work and until we arrive at the best version.

If you like us, follow us:
Hannah’s Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hannah_crowley8
Lisa’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/lisamcmanus

1. Steven Reichert on December 21, 2020 at 9:51 pm

I don’t think people are going to be growing basil and lettuce in these things 😉

2. Robert M on December 21, 2020 at 9:52 pm

Get the "Bounty" version of the Aerogarden. It is much larger and has a vertical extension rod that makes it much taller. Plus it is regularly on sale for around or just over $200. It is a lot easier and convenient than what they make it out to be. That tall white one that I think was called the "Click" has a light bar that is stationary which is bad. That is why that lettuce was floppy and spindly, the light needs to be much closer than that. I guess this the kind of review you get from people that don’t actually know a ton about it. So if you plan to get something like this without spending a fortune, buy the Aerogarden Bounty base model and it will out perform all of these and is much larger. The reason the Edn had so many issues was likely it had bad or no seed. You need to make sure the expiration date on the package is still good. Also temperature/humidity make big impacts on the viability of the seed and whether it will germinate or not. If the pods were sitting in a hot warehouse for six months or more that could have ruined the seeds in the pods.

3. Succubusisis on December 21, 2020 at 9:53 pm

Price aside, “Dumb” setups don’t have apps harvesting your data while you try to harvest dill!

4. Thrifty Freebies on December 21, 2020 at 9:55 pm

That lettuce looks so pale and leggy. Either you didn’t start the light off lower (it _does_ have an adjustable height) or the roots have broken through the wick and aren’t drawing enough nutrients from the ‘pods’. I’ve grown the same lettuce in the same ‘garden’ and it was a lot bushier and more of a vibrant green.

5. Jemima1377 on December 21, 2020 at 9:58 pm

Who in the world would actually use these?! 200$ for a bunch of plastic and a tiny amount of actual seeds, that you could easily get for a couple of bucks in any store.

Just plant herbs in a pot with soil and water them regularly – what’s so hard about that?! If watering a plant is already too much work for someone (how?!), just buy them all-grown in the store. You can get a lot of fresh herbs for 200$.

Seriously: Who needs an app to grow plants?! It’s not rocket-science! -_-

6. GeeCee on December 21, 2020 at 10:00 pm

Thank you for featuring Lisa McManus. She is the reason why I subscribed to your channel. Her videos are always so thorough and informative.

7. ishtar0077 on December 21, 2020 at 10:00 pm

Yes very helpful video. Now do another one with large units

8. Linda from California on December 21, 2020 at 10:02 pm

I wish I had known about the Slick and Grow Smart Garden. I had bought the Miracle grow. All of the problems you had, I also I. Also, after 1 year to the date I bought it, it died. I tried to have it repaired, but it was unsuccessful. Thanks for the info.

9. Princeton Swart on December 21, 2020 at 10:03 pm

This made me to understand that you can actually grow herbs in own home

10. wendy darling on December 21, 2020 at 10:03 pm

I just want to keep one basil plant alive. Other people can do it. Why can’t I?

11. Mark S on December 21, 2020 at 10:03 pm

Just curious…was the Juice Plus Tower garden tested? If not, are there any plans to compare it to the Click n Grow

12. Bad Timing on December 21, 2020 at 10:03 pm

but can you grow devil’s lettuce

13. L3 on December 21, 2020 at 10:05 pm

These systems are way too expensive and you need their pods (except the one that didn’t perform well). It is much cheaper to buy a heavy duty shelf, grow lights and hooks.

14. 八卦山HW on December 21, 2020 at 10:05 pm

$200? I think I’ll just buy fresh herbs when needed.

15. XurX on December 21, 2020 at 10:06 pm

Please mention next time, besides the initial cost, what it costs to replant. What kind of yields? Seems too pricey to be economically viable compared to other options. A very niche product.

16. Radoslav Ivanov on December 21, 2020 at 10:07 pm

Amazing video! Thank you! 🙂

17. Wee Seng Teo on December 21, 2020 at 10:10 pm

Really like the new style of the test kitchen videos!

18. Pursuit Happitarian on December 21, 2020 at 10:10 pm

Gear Heads? Where are the cars?

19. krrrruptidsoless on December 21, 2020 at 10:10 pm

The short ones look like they were made for going under the counter and for where you’d be clipping them all the time
    The more you clip the better the plant grows

The winner looks like it’d need its own room or house

20. Billy Garfield on December 21, 2020 at 10:11 pm

Good to know, thanks!

21. Alexis N. on December 21, 2020 at 10:11 pm

Lisa’s commentary is poignant, relatable, and refreshingly understated.

22. Robert Pruitt on December 21, 2020 at 10:13 pm

The seeds sprouting or not sprouting has absolutely nothing to do with how good the indoor garden is, and I’d buy the seeds I wanted, not what the company offers. You can bet the company isn’t choosing the variety based on flavor.

There is no way I’d buy an indoor grow system with all those electronics. It’s almost a forgone conclusion that they’re going to fail in under 3 years, and good luck getting replacement parts.

Also, when constant water exposure is involved, plastic is better than any metal except stainless steel (and even then only if it’s high quality stainless).

23. Eric L on December 21, 2020 at 10:13 pm

for $200 I can set up a much larger grow system

24. nightmarejr on December 21, 2020 at 10:15 pm

What about aero garden?

25. Reed B on December 21, 2020 at 10:16 pm

These are all terrible compared to buying standalone pots and grow lights

26. akr01364 on December 21, 2020 at 10:18 pm

My Chia Pet garden is almost a decade old, cost about $10 and so far all’s well. All I need is a tray and a window.

27. krrrruptidsoless on December 21, 2020 at 10:19 pm

That one lady sounds like she’s not going to be happy until everything’s robotic and no human involved whatsoever

She always says
    "I had to do this"

I had to do that ((grumph))

Like oh my God I can’t believe I had to look at this thing then I had to touch it cut off the clippings

Where are the robots

OMG, why was I born before there were robots

Who’s fault is this

28. John Humphries on December 21, 2020 at 10:23 pm

Hey Lisa, ❤️ thanks for what y’all do. I’ve been wanting to plant an herb garden.

29. Holly M on December 21, 2020 at 10:23 pm

Great info, Thanks

30. MaZEEZaM on December 21, 2020 at 10:24 pm

I would be concerned about eye damage from all these UV lights, no shielding at all from any of them.

31. NippyFan4Life on December 21, 2020 at 10:30 pm

Too expensive for most

32. Rick Bailey on December 21, 2020 at 10:31 pm

Younger generations are gonna starve… especially after their phones die…

33. Mrs. Will on December 21, 2020 at 10:33 pm

Can you make one for a windowsill garden?

34. oogiesmuncher on December 21, 2020 at 10:33 pm

what the hell is harder to manage on the aerogarden vs the others??? you just feed it every 2 weeks and top up the water every once in a while. The other plants got starved for light because you didn’t prune it well

35. Fred Mench on December 21, 2020 at 10:36 pm

Just stick to cooking, PLEASE.

36. tuotuo lu on December 21, 2020 at 10:36 pm

finally, actually content outside of Dan’s

37. Moe howard on December 21, 2020 at 10:36 pm

So could ya like grow like, ya know other stuff in these man?… Wink wink…

38. stormbob on December 21, 2020 at 10:37 pm

Oooh I need one of these. For…herbs. Yeah, that’s it. Herbs.

39. Kip Paseo on December 21, 2020 at 10:37 pm

In my younger College days I used to grow beautiful weed plants with just a clip on desk lamp with a daylight CFL bulb in my bedroom closet so I’m sure basil wouldn’t be that hard.

40. Karen Schumacher on December 21, 2020 at 10:38 pm

My problem with most indoor garden systems is you have to have a fair amount of usable real estate to have them, no matter how ‘compact’ they claim. You lose cubic footage from the table, shelf or counter, and you lose an outlet.

41. MsSilverkate on December 21, 2020 at 10:39 pm

Thank you.

42. Kim Lindsey on December 21, 2020 at 10:40 pm

I have an AeroGarden Harvest, and it’s amazing – easy (no app needed), and great yield. The only thing that grows tall is the basil; everything else gets along nicely. Their cherry tomatoes are yummy & the plants are quite hardy. IDK why this unit seemed difficult to you – maybe the app made it harder?
    The Click & Grow looks nice, but it’s huge! both its footprint and clearance for height.
    FYI for some other commenters: There are ways to reduce the amount of plastic waste when you use these systems, which is another plus. 🙂

43. paul holditch on December 21, 2020 at 10:40 pm

I would love to have a pint or two with both wonderful ladies and talk about kitchen gadgets! Best regards to both of you!

44. chilecayenne on December 21, 2020 at 10:46 pm

With the Click and Grow…can you plant and grow plants easily from seeds YOU buy, rather than buying the pre-made pre-packaged dirt/plant modules from the company?

45. Kathryn Pulsifer on December 21, 2020 at 10:48 pm

what if I don’t have a smart phone?

46. Sam Frybyte on December 21, 2020 at 10:48 pm

The winner is so wasteful! Plastic that can’t be truely recycled, instructions that are only available with an unrecyclable cellphone, soil and fertilizer that we know nothing about in terms of soil health. This is a half-baked (pun intended) test with no conscience about the world and it’s affect on the world. There are fairly easy ways to grow indoor (if need be) herbs and lettuce grown indoors doesn’t have any taste (readily available hydroponic bibb lettuce anyone?)
    Over all this leaves me heaving.

47. EE:33 on December 21, 2020 at 10:48 pm

People asking for DIY alternatives: there are a few different well-reviewed $20 led grow lights on Amazon. A couple of those plus an inexpensive wire rack (or really any) shelf and some $1-2 faux terra cotta pots and you’ve got something that’s more flexible, has much more capacity, and will likely give you better results.

48. Nick B on December 21, 2020 at 10:49 pm

Interesting that the products were the same price but wildly different results

49. Mark Kline on December 21, 2020 at 10:49 pm

My, I’m pushing the back button so much, to bypass the commercials I’m missing this site, with the Ads they are trying to show on each video. So Sad. they are doing this. Had enough of the solar panel.

50. Young Mule on December 21, 2020 at 10:50 pm

More at home gardening vids please! Also discuss which types of plants are best for in home