5 Best Crops for Your Edible Container Garden

Growing crops in containers offers flexibility and the chance to grow more too. While it’s possible to grow almost any vegetable, herb or fruit in pots, some are more suited than others.

So what are the best crops to grow in containers?

In this short video we’ll reveal our top crops for container growing – five delicious, easy-to-grow edibles that will give you plenty to pick!

If you love growing your own food, why not take a look at our online Garden Planner which is available from several major websites and seed suppliers:
and many more…

To receive more gardening videos subscribe to our channel here: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=GrowVeg

If you’ve noticed any pests or beneficial insects in your garden lately please report them to us at http://BigBugHunt.com

1. AgriTayo Derick on December 22, 2020 at 9:56 pm

Thank you for inspiring me! I am also growing vegetables. And i also uploading agri related vlogs. Godbless you!

2. o0Avalon0o on December 22, 2020 at 9:58 pm

This video is incredibly well-made & informative. Thank you, I’m learning so much!

3. Scott Tuttle on December 22, 2020 at 10:00 pm

I got a nice constant flow of summer squash one year in 5 gallon buckets.

4. Lily Langman on December 22, 2020 at 10:00 pm

I have been growing spinach in a hanging basket all winter here in Tx

5. Lauren Evans on December 22, 2020 at 10:01 pm

Great advice – thank you 🙂

6. Nadine Sawtell on December 22, 2020 at 10:03 pm

Baby book Choi does well but make sure to cover it to protect against cabbage butterflies and similar pests

7. Kacey Bongarzone on December 22, 2020 at 10:05 pm

Thank you! I also enjoy cucumbers and they’ve grown well in a raised garden bed/pots in my yard.

8. The Green Thumb Gardening Channel on December 22, 2020 at 10:05 pm

Greetings, fantastic and informative video! I only grow in pots or elevated Huegel Culture Container Gardens due to terrible soil conditions in my location. I love having the option to easily relocate my potted plants indoors if necessary and the ability to grow year round instead of just during the spring and summer months. I just subscribed to your channel and am looking forward to your next video upload!

9. Hartz Homestead on December 22, 2020 at 10:06 pm

I grew a cayenne pepper in a large pot one year and it did fantastic. Here in Western Washington we have a cool, marginal season for peppers, but I started it indoors, and brought it in whenever the weather was cold. I got about 50 very hot peppers the first year, and put it back out a second year for several more. See my channel for my 5 favorite vegetables to grow!

10. Whytedavy Gardening And Worm Farm on December 22, 2020 at 10:07 pm

My strawberries are looking love but the berries tend to rot on the bottom sometimes. Could it be because they are resting in the soil.

I intend to grow my scotch bonnet pepper in pots next year to make it easy to cover it if the weather is too cool.
    Great tip mixing seed in sand to auto thin seedlings.

11. LégumesEtFleurs on December 22, 2020 at 10:07 pm

Great video as usual. I grow bok choi in containers. 😄

12. John Monck on December 22, 2020 at 10:07 pm

you dont have to keep asking …. its really annoying… we know how to subscribe …

13. plumeria8357 on December 22, 2020 at 10:08 pm

This year I had so much fun growing cucumbers.

14. sonnossonnos on December 22, 2020 at 10:09 pm

Haha when I like and unlike this video, the viewing goes from 2,7K to 2,8K :0

15. tara estella on December 22, 2020 at 10:12 pm

Thanks 👌

16. Catherine Cooper on December 22, 2020 at 10:13 pm

I always enjoy your videos! This year I will try growing beets, carrots, potatoes, in containers. Question: Would you please cover night time temperatures and putting plants in a hot house. I have just a simple plastic that’s about 5′ tall. Here in Wisconsin, we are told that nighttime temperature must be 50 degrees and above for the garden to be planted. Is that true for the hothouse as well?

17. DK zok on December 22, 2020 at 10:16 pm

I cannot find organic
    strawberry seeds anywhere

18. Ellen McIntyre on December 22, 2020 at 10:16 pm

Bush beans, basil, peppers, tomatoes, marigolds, portulaca, or milliflora petunias for color spilling over edges. Basil protects tomatoes

19. DeepWaterz on December 22, 2020 at 10:17 pm

#GardenGove

20. Samantha Trujillo on December 22, 2020 at 10:23 pm

I’m new to gardening and I love your quick tips! They have been so helpful in my new hobby. Thanks for sharing!

21. Vicki Moseley on December 22, 2020 at 10:25 pm

I grow my potatoes in pots.

22. Minette Maiden on December 22, 2020 at 10:31 pm

Khol rabi is another crop I grow in containers, they are delicious and beautiful too, and have very short roots.

23. Tonia Richardson on December 22, 2020 at 10:31 pm

Thank you! Lots of useful information. Please will you do a video about planting companion vegetables & herbs that help deter pests and also which containers are best for container gardening, in the UK.

24. Janice Buttram on December 22, 2020 at 10:32 pm

I tried my hand at a potted garden last year…the problem I had was very think skins. What am I doing wrong or what could different? Thank you for an answer and for your channel!

25. RPG TRAVELS on December 22, 2020 at 10:32 pm

Nice crops

26. TheOther99% on December 22, 2020 at 10:34 pm

Potatoes are ideal for containers. They are much less work and easier to harvest.

27. Linda G on December 22, 2020 at 10:34 pm

Potatoes do well in either 5 gallon buckets or potato bags.

28. C Y on December 22, 2020 at 10:36 pm

I don’t think Marigold actually repel aphids. In fact my Marigold attracts aphids and died of aphids.

29. Becky Ezra on December 22, 2020 at 10:37 pm

Thank for the useful video, enjoy spring! . bless.

30. Robin Hazeslip on December 22, 2020 at 10:39 pm

I have been trying to determine what to grow in pots, to add depth to the garden and extend to patio….. thnks for suggestions! 😊

31. My Bangla Garden on December 22, 2020 at 10:41 pm

Great advice. I love container gardening. Easier to move out of the bad weather

32. Carol Townsend on December 22, 2020 at 10:42 pm

Spenich, SPENICH and more
    SPENICH is the very best—-

33. donna flores on December 22, 2020 at 10:43 pm

I like to grow basil in containers as well as celery, parsley and kale.

34. Deda Kavanagh on December 22, 2020 at 10:44 pm

Love radishes for color and nutrients. ☘️

35. whaszupp whaszupp on December 22, 2020 at 10:44 pm

I also grow blueberries in Southern California (Los Angeles) in pots. One of them is in a regular pot (maybe 10-15 gallon?). Eight others are in earthboxes or garden patch boxes. All are doing great. I have several varieties that work in my locale. I have them protected from birds inside a "bird cage" that I built from an old e-z up frame and bird block screening. I have about 1/2 of it topped with a shade cloth. Works great. Life is good and fruitful!

36. Jojo Bobo on December 22, 2020 at 10:44 pm

I have my strawberries in the old gutters from my house. The only down side is that you really have to be careful to not lose the soil and too keep them watered. I had a tough learning period and almost gave up on the idea. The upsides are that you can net them easily with a simple tee pee system and picking is super easy too.

37. Lotus on December 22, 2020 at 10:45 pm

38. Maike Adam on December 22, 2020 at 10:46 pm

Great job! Those strawberries look very tasty!

39. Kati Mäkinen on December 22, 2020 at 10:46 pm

☘️🌱💚🌺

40. Maryjane Green on December 22, 2020 at 10:46 pm

Nice video. Thanks! I would add a little kale for my salads.

41. Michelle Phillips on December 22, 2020 at 10:48 pm

Great videoim growing organic vegetables in my container gardens I find that they produce way better in containers than the actual garden itself

42. Abbie Thoms on December 22, 2020 at 10:50 pm

Put dishes under your pots to prevent water wastage

43. brenda hippolyte on December 22, 2020 at 10:51 pm

Can you do something on growing edibles on small balconys and around your flat . I have grown a few veg but love to learn more. Thanks love the videos.

44. Laney Robb on December 22, 2020 at 10:51 pm

Once I had a garden and my BROTHERS strawberry plant took over. Now we call it the strawberry patch instead of a garden. XD

45. The Happy Gardener on December 22, 2020 at 10:52 pm

I love your ideas you are so inspiring xx

46. Stealth Clock Gaming on December 22, 2020 at 10:52 pm

could i grow any of these in a 1 gallon milk jug? and what would be best?

47. Cherokee Rose on December 22, 2020 at 10:53 pm

Thank you again. I watch EVERY one of your videos. I plant Tumbling Tom and Tiny Tim tomatoes as well as chard and some of your others. But another that I happen to give a try was red romaine. I planted them in small pots and nothing grew but here in Tenn I just left them and suddenly they were growing like crazy. I even found one in my backyard lawn. And kale is great to grow year round here. Any variety is delicious… Thanks for all your videos they are so informative. And you are so happy on them. 🙂

48. Stephanie on December 22, 2020 at 10:53 pm

I love growing herbs and peppers in my garden! Always adds a nice flare to dishes.

49. Toni S on December 22, 2020 at 10:53 pm

I love your videos! They are always so informative and most helpful

50. Сергей Казаков on December 22, 2020 at 10:54 pm