How To Replace The Ring Gear On A Briggs & Stratton Flywheel

In “Junk In The Trunk”, local tree cutter Tim Burr arrives for his snowblower only to find out he has too much junk in his trunk! After the intro and before the ending, Taryl goes over the proper way to replace the ring gear on your Briggs & Stratton flywheel. This works for the single cylinder as well as the opposed twin flywheel. Be sure to thumbs up Taryl’s videos and subscribe to this YouTube channel (click the bell for notifications!) for all the latest videos. And as always, There’s Your Dinner!!

Follow Taryl on Facebook!
And Instagram! @tarylfixesall
Pick up YOUR Taryl Apparel Here! (Shipping Worldwide Daily)

Get Your Parts From http://www.ProPartsDirect.net and Tell ’em “Taryl Sent Me!”

Grass Rats Garage Theme Music Now Available!!
Pick up a copy on CD from the Taryl online store or download it here:

1. ozz on December 22, 2020 at 9:50 pm

👍👏👏👏

2. Michael Raines on December 22, 2020 at 9:51 pm

Good video. I bought a used flywheel on eBay that some knucklehead had taken off with a hammer and a pry bar and ruined it. I would have bit his head off, but I only have 4 teeth.

3. GROUP 13 on December 22, 2020 at 9:52 pm

PMSL !!!

4. Godfella's on December 22, 2020 at 9:52 pm

Taryl, can you replace a flywheel on a john deere 826 snow king engine? My JD dealer say no.

5. The GOAT on December 22, 2020 at 9:57 pm

Is there a music video for the background hillbilly jam?

6. Fabian F on December 22, 2020 at 9:59 pm

What advice can you give me on choosing alternative carburetors to run a twin carburettor setup on the Briggs 20HP opposed twin engine. My engine has had engine porting and i would like to increase the intake airflow over the restrictive standard carburettor.

7. ZippoVarga on December 22, 2020 at 9:59 pm

You’ll also want to clean the alternator/stator magnets after you clean the mating surface and make sure no magnets are damaged or loose wile you’re at it.

8. james moore on December 22, 2020 at 9:59 pm

Ain’t no problem, I once put a ducati 350 street bike in the trunk of my 71 plymouth fury. Get er done……course the trunk on the fury is bout as big as a short bed pick up, lol…….

9. uawsux on December 22, 2020 at 10:00 pm

Steve’s engine fix that chainsaw he blew air into the oil chamber very aggressively and whatever was plugging it up popped out that would have made a nice video anyhow

10. Ezra Ducat on December 22, 2020 at 10:01 pm

They should just use screws in the first place

11. Orlando Tackett, II on December 22, 2020 at 10:02 pm

8 haters. love you guys. subbed since the beginning. use your vids to fix my crap all the time.

12. Cool Guy Here on December 22, 2020 at 10:04 pm

mudslide concrete dissolving cleaner is dissolves rust very fast (zep product) check it out sometime

13. thardyryll on December 22, 2020 at 10:04 pm

If you’re replacing a plastic ring gear on a Briggs Intek V-twin there’s a real likelihood that you’ll break the thing getting it on. While contemplating why Briggs ignored the decades-long practice of machining a reliable flywheel/ring gear out of steel, do this with your Intek gear job:
    1. With a wire wheel in a mini grinder, clean the place where the gear sits until it shines.
    2. With a sanding disk in the grinder, chamfer the edge the gear must fit over.
    3. Using a dead-blow hammer, start to CAREFULLY tap the gear into place on one edge while making sure it is aligned over the holes on the flywheel. Install one of the attaching screws to ensure correct alignment.
    4. With a heat gun, warm the gear while slowly tapping it into place until it is fully seated.
    Naturally, you can use hand tools (wire brush, file, emery cloth) in lieu of a grinder. And maybe your gear will slip off and on. But mine didn’t, and safely getting it on required all the above steps, during which I had a better idea of why Briggs filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in July 2020.

14. engineer2001 on December 22, 2020 at 10:04 pm

The Wood Roach? Oh no, his cover is blown.

15. Wondering IN NY on December 22, 2020 at 10:06 pm

How did you ever get started in the business?

16. C & L Small Engine Repair Lawncare on December 22, 2020 at 10:09 pm

Great video as usual,,
    Taryl i need ur help!
    I have a small ebgine repair an stuck on a riding mower problem.
    I have replaced the solenoid, key switch, blade an break swit h. New battery. New fuse.
    I have no power past the key switch, after replacing safety switches, as soon as you turn the key, drains the battery dead.. im outta options.
    But since u da man, an i need my dinner. Thought id see if u had any tricks.. thanx

17. Paul American on December 22, 2020 at 10:12 pm

Plastic gears !

18. Ben Hampton on December 22, 2020 at 10:12 pm

Pry bar and hammer is the way we’ve always done it. Is it the space shuttle and we’re going to the moon. The best.

19. wysetech2000 on December 22, 2020 at 10:13 pm

HaHaHa….I saw that ending coming. Great job, Guys.

20. Mark Russo on December 22, 2020 at 10:15 pm

Them beer cans.freakin funny

21. Inbread Redneck From Arkansas on December 22, 2020 at 10:15 pm

I’ve never seen a snow blower before

22. Harry burford on December 22, 2020 at 10:16 pm

could you press those out or would be a pain

23. Real Gagne on December 22, 2020 at 10:16 pm

Taryl, I’m a long time subscriber. I know I set the governor the right way when I rebuilt the engine, but now I’m trying to figure out what the difference is between a governor noise and a surging carburetor. They seem to do the same thing. CAN that governor arm going to the slinger be replace? I need HELP

24. Paulman50 on December 22, 2020 at 10:19 pm

In NZ that kit would cost $150

25. dkeith45 on December 22, 2020 at 10:19 pm

I clicked on this this afternoon, and there were 90 views. Paused the video, and just came back to it, then clicked LIKE and refreshed the vid. It’s 11:30pm and it’s up to 11k views now, WOW.

26. Joe Rico on December 22, 2020 at 10:20 pm

The wood roach sucks bad skit good info on the flywheel and starter

27. Joey Turner on December 22, 2020 at 10:21 pm

First time seeing you guys!! Subed after the first few mins!! Kept my attention and informative!! Really appreciate your vid!

28. Big Racer on December 22, 2020 at 10:21 pm

i’m opposed to the opposed twin. v twin all the way!

29. Jim Farley on December 22, 2020 at 10:22 pm

Is there a part number for the v twin briggs its plastic

30. netimage10s on December 22, 2020 at 10:24 pm

https://youtu.be/36zMWISW8hw hey Taryl how cool is this !!

31. Phillip Lopez on December 22, 2020 at 10:24 pm

You put on quite the show !

32. Computers_shot on December 22, 2020 at 10:24 pm

This was uploaded on my birthday lol

33. knobcreekoutdoors on December 22, 2020 at 10:24 pm

any ideals on a motor blowing fuse after starting kohler motor

34. ralph edman on December 22, 2020 at 10:26 pm

So…….a plastic ring gear requires a plastic starter gear and a metal ring gear requires a metal starter gear?

35. farmer jackson on December 22, 2020 at 10:27 pm

That guys car is just like mine lol

36. Serge B on December 22, 2020 at 10:27 pm

7:13 the inspector is inspecting Taryls work 🤔

37. Gene Friedman on December 22, 2020 at 10:27 pm

TimmmmBurrrrr….

38. Porter Mr Bass on December 22, 2020 at 10:29 pm

Hello thanks for the flywheel removal info. I have a 14 h p vanguard motor with a big nut on top of the flywheel. What size socket do they mostly take?

39. Mad Moose Fitness on December 22, 2020 at 10:31 pm

Taryl is da man!

40. KEITH KUHN on December 22, 2020 at 10:31 pm

Great stuff plus I really love the cat I’m a cat person to

41. Aoife Lucas on December 22, 2020 at 10:32 pm

Thank you some much for these videos. I have successfully removed the ring gear and have the kit on order to replace. I really appreciate your humor as well, you make it fun and informative. I didn’t have the correct disc for my "whizzer-wheel", which is totally what I am calling it from now on, but I found a good flat head or chisel and a hammer knocked the ends off cleanly as well.

42. WildeFox on December 22, 2020 at 10:33 pm

Great episode as always Taryl, hilarious when the snowblower fell out of the car!

43. gto 55 on December 22, 2020 at 10:34 pm

The power of knowledge, thx for sharing.

44. Patrick’s Engines on December 22, 2020 at 10:34 pm

Hey taryl. It’s Patrick’s engine I just want to know that I am a YouTube channel that you guys are probably like so I just wanted to tell you we do like your videos it makes me laugh I don’t wanna leave your videos had it was called Pack rats that makes me laugh Oh yeah show my YouTube name is I’ll say it one more time it’s Patrick’s engines Briggs & Stratton Cold start on a snapper 3.5hp

45. obcRadio on December 22, 2020 at 10:39 pm

I was laughing pretty good at the end of this one! Take care guys.

46. Real Gagne on December 22, 2020 at 10:39 pm

I forgot to mention that in the older video you would reply to help. I don’t see that as much now.

47. michael markes on December 22, 2020 at 10:44 pm

Gotta love when every customer thinks you have an extra hour to waist

48. scannerman96 on December 22, 2020 at 10:47 pm

How’d Jasmine get there! Lol. Looks just like her years ago. Thanks for the vid.

49. Josh Mckinney on December 22, 2020 at 10:49 pm

my fav reindeer video =]

50. Rednecks For Jesus on December 22, 2020 at 10:50 pm

Gitter done Taryl!!! Can you please show us sometime how to restring a Pull Start Handle Rotary #25-11330. It has a center part that comes out and I think your supposed to run string through it as well and then tie a knot, but then it wont go back in. Thank you