Basics to Estimating a Hardscape Job

After seeing how many misleading videos about estimating were on YouTube I decided to make my own video showing the proper way to estimate a hardscape/landscape job using man hours rather than estimating by the square foot. Estimating by the square foot does not work well because every job is different than the last; different soil conditions, site access and more.

THIS IS NOT THE ONLY WAY TO ESTIMATE BY MAN HOURS… THIS IS JUST HOW I HAVE DECIDED TO DO IT AS IT HAS WORKED WELL FOR ME.

Here is the link to the Techo Bloc contractor tools. If you scroll down to the bottom and download the estimator tool it has all the forms to find out not only your hourly rate, but also forms to estimate jobs if you would like to use them.

Stay tuned for more instructional videos in the future like this one. If you would like to get my opinion on any other subjects comment bellow and I would be happy to give my input. Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram @mass_hardscaper to see more!

1. Cristian Cruz on December 26, 2020 at 10:15 pm

I categorize my overhead, material, labor, sales taxes, and profit

2. Infiniti Creative Landscape Design on December 26, 2020 at 10:16 pm

I am an old dog always willing to learn some new tricks after 30 years here in Ma. Landscaping Thank you

3. hollamby75 on December 26, 2020 at 10:16 pm

This is great content. These really help growing business. How do you develop what your % profit should be? Of across we always want more, but how do you bench mark yourself?

4. enhance scapes on December 26, 2020 at 10:18 pm

enjoying your videos!!

5. Carter Melton on December 26, 2020 at 10:18 pm

Holy crap! Awesome video man!

6. Gwar Baby on December 26, 2020 at 10:19 pm

Excellent vid. Ive been in the business for 20 yrs (maintenance, mowing,light install, and snow) and just this past year and a half Ive decided to expand my business into the hardscape arena. Upon my research, attendance at the HNA (ICPI classes), and after meeting with consultants I will agree there is a lot of mis leading and non detailed information out there. I believe a lot of these "seminars" and "meet ups" should be defined as nothing more than product pimps. It seems as if there is always a detailed element missing when trying to gather information from these sources. I think you can really set yourself a part from the rest as it seems you really know what your talking about. Really looking forward to your upcoming vids. Send me contact info if you do phone consults for general questions regarding beginning to end operations. I’m interested in design process, sales strategies (approach, and up sell elements), job function, and some "how to" questions. Thanks

7. BriarRidgeLandCT on December 26, 2020 at 10:21 pm

Great info. Keep them coming!

You can never go wrong by charging by the hour! You’ll always put money in your pocket.

At the end of the day, the key is to make money

8. Jonny McKay on December 26, 2020 at 10:25 pm

Good video chap,I run a landscaping business in the U.K. Just introducing sketch up into my quotations I have watched your vids on these they are great! Keep up the good work

9. Levi Lemon on December 26, 2020 at 10:29 pm

Great video, we changed up our estimating process this year and basically increased our pricing 10-20% and it have changed everything. I think a big part of pricing this stuff out is equipment too. It is easy to under estimate if you do not have all of the stuff to do the job. Keep up the good videos sir.

10. rodney giovanatti on December 26, 2020 at 10:31 pm

great video. thankyou

11. larry freeman on December 26, 2020 at 10:33 pm

Excellent work. I approve

12. Enchanted seasons lawn care on December 26, 2020 at 10:35 pm

Do you use a laser to figure out your grade? I’m thinking of getting one but not sure what to get or if I even need one?

13. KLC LAWN & LANDSCAPING on December 26, 2020 at 10:36 pm

How often do you recalculate your hourly rate? For instance if you purchase some equipment that makes a task more efficient by 50% are you passing that labor savings on to the client or is that a higher profit for the company.

14. Abiel Razo on December 26, 2020 at 10:42 pm

What design software do you use?

15. Sean Kois on December 26, 2020 at 10:44 pm

Good stuff man! Please keep it coming!

16. Nelson G. on December 26, 2020 at 10:48 pm

Good info. Thanx

17. Jake G on December 26, 2020 at 10:52 pm

Any tips on what school to go to in college to become a hardscaper

18. Really it’s you on December 26, 2020 at 10:52 pm

I’m truly happy I came across your channel I must say you have said some light for a newborn like myself . I have a few ideas that I like to implement in my architectural work my ask What software do you use for your work if any.

19. Paulino Romero on December 26, 2020 at 10:53 pm

Good video Man, but what do you do? When client need to have a number or idea on project cost. You just guess.

20. Paulino Romero on December 26, 2020 at 10:53 pm

Thank you so much Man.

21. Capitaland Lawns LLC on December 26, 2020 at 10:53 pm

great video…keep them coming. I landed on this one because I want to get into more hardscaping and let my guys do the regular mowing and routine property maintenance.

22. Rachel kang on December 26, 2020 at 10:55 pm
  23. Rasha Ahmed on December 26, 2020 at 10:56 pm

Many Thanks .Please make video about technical works in the site .Thanks again

24. adrian alonzo on December 26, 2020 at 10:57 pm

Did you have link to the breakdown of hrs you estimate breakdown the one showed on video?

25. Jones Construction & Landscape on December 26, 2020 at 10:57 pm

what is ncma stand for

26. Kevin Grønvik on December 26, 2020 at 11:14 pm

I know this video is from a few years ago, but i just wanted to add that you are conflating markup and margin in this video. If you want a 10% profit margin you need more than a 10% markup as they are not calculated the same way. Look into that if you dont know what i mean.