6 Perfect Plants for a Cocktail Herb Garden

6 Perfect Plants for a Cocktail Herb Garden

Discover native plants to increase wildlife population in your garden https://www.nwf.org/nativeplantfinder/ and check out the cocktail recipe finder: https://bit.ly/3cMjnGb Whenever possible I like to combine outcomes in the garden. Planting for myself, pollinators, and even other beneficial wildlife.

The world of cocktail herbs is vast, so it was hard to select 6 recommendations that are pretty easy to grow. There are a few “sleeper hits” in here that I think you’ll enjoy though, and at the end I’ll show you how I create a very simple garden-infused simple syrup you can use in a ton of different drinks.

SUPPORT EPIC GARDENING

→ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/epicgardening
→ FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/epicgardening/
→ TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@epicgardening
→ Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/epicgardening
→ Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/epicgardening

1. Rose Hernandez on December 30, 2020 at 10:21 pm

Kevin, how long would the infusion last without the alcohol? I’m allergic to it. Thanks.

2. Rhiannon H on December 30, 2020 at 10:21 pm

yes for more garden cocktail recipes !!!

3. Rick Hoeflick on December 30, 2020 at 10:24 pm

Where is the mint? I have Sweet mint, spearmint, chocolate mint, and pineapple mint. I’ve got to get peppermint for hot chocolate in the winter. Love your channel.

4. H on December 30, 2020 at 10:27 pm

Wind has been really bad near me I worried there going hurt my plant

5. The Green Priestess on December 30, 2020 at 10:27 pm

Thank you! You just sparked an idea for a cocktail themed herb garden.

6. Kelly Y on December 30, 2020 at 10:28 pm

Cocktail series YES! Would love your take on a moscow mule with a fresh ginger something and mint. I make mine with ginger beer but am always wanting a bit more "bite". I’ve been using pineapple mint lately too. Would be fun to see what you come up with to help me branch out from my one little cocktail 🙂

7. Crap I Built on December 30, 2020 at 10:29 pm

man that syrup sounds good, I have to admit that I thought cilantro and coriander were different. I was looking for cilantro seeds and coriander seeds but only found coriander lol

8. 09echols on December 30, 2020 at 10:35 pm

I’m currently growing cinnamon basil. I’m on the hunt for chocolate basil.

9. Greg Soucie on December 30, 2020 at 10:36 pm

Awesome. We’re cocktail enthusiasts here near Toronto, Canada (pandemic makes for new hobbies) and have really started to up our cocktail game. This is a super great video. Really like your stuff and will be planting some lemongrass and funky basils to compliment the mint and thyme we’ve got going! Great work, love the channel!

10. Ken Karl on December 30, 2020 at 10:37 pm

It made me smile, especially from draining… but still, good to learn more from Epic Gardening. More power!

11. Angela Bury on December 30, 2020 at 10:37 pm

Thank you so much for this episode! Would love to see a whole series devoted to this topic. Would also love ideas on what would grow well indoors over the winter episode…please??

12. truthsout on December 30, 2020 at 10:38 pm

Epic video, mate. Love it.

13. Michelle Archambault on December 30, 2020 at 10:38 pm

Would love to see cocktails, as well as some non-alcoholic beverages! Here is a different recipe..Lavender French 75 ~https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/04/drinking-in-season-lavender-french-75-easy-cocktail-recipe.html

14. Epic Gardening on December 30, 2020 at 10:38 pm

Drop your favorite garden-inspired cocktail below…let’s just say I’m in need of recipes 😂

15. Kenna on December 30, 2020 at 10:40 pm

We grow all of these in our garden in Canada (zone 3/4)! Can not keep enough lemongrass going though – our dogs LOVE to eat the leaves! If it’s anywhere near dog level they will mow it down…Always have to have a couple pots of lemongrass and parsley in rotation for them to munch on! 😉 Oh and pineapple sage is amazing on chicken!

16. Amanda L on December 30, 2020 at 10:40 pm

Love this

17. TM WHTLY on December 30, 2020 at 10:40 pm

Yes! Please keep going with this series. Super interesting. Thanks!!

18. Tingle Tetra on December 30, 2020 at 10:41 pm

As a Brit, the presence of the ‘H’ was much appreciated!

19. Samantha Robinson on December 30, 2020 at 10:41 pm

I love my tea garden so many herbs for fresh tea my fave is lemon verbena (great mosquito repellent) and strawberry mint 😍🥰

20. Cece Edic on December 30, 2020 at 10:43 pm

Kevin, instead of the sugar, why don’t you grow stevia? It grows easy in a 5 gallon bucket. It’s great as is or use it in a tea. I grow it with my mints.

21. Eiji Hitori on December 30, 2020 at 10:44 pm

Hi love the channel. I’m a new San Diego gardener and I have a mint plant infected with caterpillars and mites. I was wondering how to rid the pest but keep the mint flavor? Any tips

22. Krista Farrell on December 30, 2020 at 10:45 pm

I’d love to see a root pruning video since I wanna prune the roots of my long-lasting neon pothos without killing it😬😂 Love your vids!

23. Marcia Rae on December 30, 2020 at 10:45 pm

Your thumbs up should turn GREEN!

24. queenSummerKeli on December 30, 2020 at 10:46 pm

Thanks for that site!!!

25. truthsout on December 30, 2020 at 10:46 pm

Australia also knows there’s an "H" in herb. After all you are not French.

26. Wow Watson on December 30, 2020 at 10:48 pm

Yes please do a cocktail gardening series.

27. T BZ on December 30, 2020 at 10:50 pm

5:49 You should not admit that 😉 Thyme is not underrated.

Fabulous content, as always.

28. Mauwi Villar on December 30, 2020 at 10:50 pm

This is what I need. ❤

29. MakC D Plants on December 30, 2020 at 10:50 pm

Nice flowers really

30. R Menninghaus on December 30, 2020 at 10:53 pm

hi I saw you using a spray wand in a video that you turn of and on with the twist tab. It is in the 5 mistakes people make watering. My sister really wants to find that wand…. can you help us?

31. Alan K on December 30, 2020 at 10:55 pm

Thank you for another great video. Really enjoying the content!

32. Louise Fincher on December 30, 2020 at 10:56 pm

09:46
    01:18
    06:36

33. Davina Caine on December 30, 2020 at 10:56 pm

This Brit says thank you 😊

34. The Mighty Mustache on December 30, 2020 at 10:57 pm

Love your videos

35. KnightKirkyBoy on December 30, 2020 at 10:59 pm

He loves us brits! 🙂

36. Ryan Van Fleet on December 30, 2020 at 11:06 pm

Yea Delaware!!

37. Mentha on December 30, 2020 at 11:07 pm

You should try melon sage. It is a cultivar of pineapple sage that smells melony. Another herb that isn’t found very often is lime balm. Not to mention about 300 different flavors and cultivars of mint from lemon, orange or lime to berries and cream, strawberry or blackberry to lavender mint or basil mint to about 50 kinds of spearmint. Yummm.

38. cigar FMFDoc on December 30, 2020 at 11:08 pm

So I planted rosemary like 3 yrs ago in my yard and I had some personal things going on so I didnt do anything to my yard. I started back up in March and found my rosemary bush looking good.

39. Christina Hutchison on December 30, 2020 at 11:09 pm

I just have to say you have picked the absolutely most perfect name for your channel. Because I don’t have the good luck of having basically an all year growing zone I grow in zone five but your contacts in how you present it is truly Epic because I feel no matter what zone you grow in your presentation of the information can be applied everywhere. I’m so happy I found this channel.

40. Ann K on December 30, 2020 at 11:12 pm

Gerinaimum smells awfull.

41. julie-joy Williams on December 30, 2020 at 11:13 pm

Okay so making that… have made a "simple" hahaha…version of what you made there but not with all those yummie aromatics just the basils and mints… but I do have all the rest in my herb garden so will Do It !!! Thanks for the Epic recipe! Also have taken herbs and flowers and put in ice cubes to make drinks pretty too…

42. Galaxy _ on December 30, 2020 at 11:13 pm

Hey I live in zone 7 and I’m a noob any fruits/ things you’d recommend

43. PrettiestJewx3 on December 30, 2020 at 11:14 pm

Tea garden next please – love your videos !

44. j0rricks on December 30, 2020 at 11:15 pm

I know this is irelevant to the topic but: I realized I planted my herbs in my deeper pot, leaving some of my other veggies for smaller pots. (Rookie mistake) is it safe to transplant the herbs? (Basil, thyme, oregeno). I know how to do it but not sure they’ll survive the shock?
    Thanks in advanced! Love your channel been a big fan since discovering your work! You’re a pro.
    -Josh
    (Urban garden n00b -If you don’t learn at least one skill during covid your doing it wrong 🙃)

45. Triple D Khat on December 30, 2020 at 11:15 pm

I have peppermint, pineapple sage, lavender, lemon balm for teas and cocktails. I have had no luck with growing cilantro but I do like the cilantro absolut vodka and made so delicious drinks with that.

46. Michael Graham on December 30, 2020 at 11:16 pm

If you want cilantro in the summer you could try growing culantro, has just about the same flavor but it’s very heat tolerant

47. queenSummerKeli on December 30, 2020 at 11:17 pm

The citrus tyme smells so good!!

48. MEG on December 30, 2020 at 11:18 pm

what do you recommend to put on a garden to scare away the birds

49. Caitlin Tessman on December 30, 2020 at 11:19 pm

My husband makes fancy cocktails, and requested I plant purple coneflower and anise hyssop this year. I don’t know if anise hyssop is local, but even the seedlings have been fragrant and it’s very pretty.

I don’t drink alcohol, but I love making infused syrups for Italian sodas – some of my favorites so far have been rose, nasturtium, and cucumber.

Hubs and I grow a lot of mint, and he makes creme de menthe out of it for cocktails! So far his favorite mint to use has been chocolate mint but I’ve got plans to expand my mint varieties next season.

50. grknsl on December 30, 2020 at 11:19 pm

Friends, as long as we do not interfere with nature (when we cannot leave the house), I think we can be healthy if we return to nature likewise nature renews itself.
     Especially in winter, I use sage not only as a spice but also as tea.
     When I look at the history, this plant has been used in the treatment of many diseases.
     Even the Virgin Mary is mentioned in mythology.

If you search the internet for ‘Benefits of sage’, you will be very surprised. I wish you all a healthy day.