Container Gardening For Beginners — Perennial Fruits

Growing perennials in containers is not difficult and allows those with limited space such as a deck, patio or balcony to enjoy their produce.

0:24 The Benefits of Perennials
0:32 The Benefits of Container Gardening
0:40 Types of perennial fruit producing crops that does well in containers
1:23 Container size
2:31 Soil for perennials in containers
3:20 Feeding and fertilizing during the season
4:29 Long term maintenance of potted perennials
5:18 Winter protection (high zone and hardy)
6:28 Bringing Plants in during the Winter
6:54 Leaving the Plant outside
7:12 Closing

Check us out on Facebook:

1. trace Wedhorn on December 30, 2020 at 10:31 pm

Were do you get your worms from in Alberta?

2. MrMac5150 on December 30, 2020 at 10:31 pm

Containers never work for me, they get to hot and dry.
    Temperature fluctuates to much. In the ground is always better.

3. Latoya Williams on December 30, 2020 at 10:37 pm

So you leave your blueberry bush that’s in a container outside for the winter? I recently planted one in a container and was planning on putting it in my unheated attached garage for winter. I know it’s hardy but I feel like the container wouldn’t prevent the freeze thaw cycle from damaging the plant. I have 2 other bushes in the ground. Also what about the container cracking etc?

4. Craig Overend on December 30, 2020 at 10:38 pm

I once saw our local community TV gardening show use an auger drill bit all the way around the outer edge of a root bound fruit tree. It was in a large pot and was too big to easily remove. He then filled the holes with amendments. I always wonder how well it survived…

5. Closing the Loop on December 30, 2020 at 10:39 pm

Hey Stephen, I just heard about the wildfires in your area. How are you doing? Is it affecting you?

6. Northern Homestead on December 30, 2020 at 10:39 pm

Thank you, this was very helpful.

7. Coastn Container Gardening on December 30, 2020 at 10:41 pm

Can you use miracle grow garden bagged soil in container gardening…I was once told if you add peat moss and perlite it will work if you have bagged garden soil…?

8. o0Avalon0o on December 30, 2020 at 10:41 pm

Thank you, I’m learning so much! I’ll definitely be rewatching this video; it’s full of lots of great information.

9. chevy6299 on December 30, 2020 at 10:42 pm

I thinking goji berries might work well in a container for my location.

10. Zeenat Rehan on December 30, 2020 at 10:43 pm

Can I plant peonies in a large planter please reply back

11. Mark Bartes on December 30, 2020 at 10:47 pm

Flight attendant?

12. D.J.B Charles on December 30, 2020 at 10:51 pm

hi there new sub just wanted to know if you plant any corn??

13. ssaxe01s on December 30, 2020 at 10:52 pm

If perennials hardy to my zone are left outside in their pots in the winter, wouldn’t the lack of insulation (that plants planted in the ground do have) to their roots damage them?

14. sikamikan on December 30, 2020 at 10:57 pm

great content. thanks for sharing

15. Bryan Wickizer on December 30, 2020 at 10:57 pm

Awesome video Stephen! While I think its best to put plants in the ground, I am a big fan of containers. I grow lots of annuals in containers, but a few perrenials as well, such as; currants, honeyberries, blueberries and strawberries. I have some partial sun areas in my yard, and its nice to be able to see if a berry bush will do ok with less sunlight before commiting to planting them in the ground permanently. It is also important to understand that not all plastic is created equal, many plastic "garden" containers I have purchased have become ridiculously brittle after 2-3 years. I have moved to fabric containers for their price and performance, but would recommend things such as wine barrels if you can find them. Thanks for the video.

16. Robert Greenhouse on December 30, 2020 at 10:57 pm

What do you think of water retaining gel beads?

17. bruce don on December 30, 2020 at 10:58 pm

Can you let me know which blue berries plants for my zone 7 a?

18. Sudeesh Subramanian on December 30, 2020 at 11:03 pm

Nice video !! But I think for me it suits to grow my Perennial fruit trees in the open soil rather than a pot, because I live in a tropic zone. Also in your video you have used the terms Worm castings and Vermicompost interchangeably, giving an impression that both are same, while they are not.
    I don’t Vermicompost but have access to tons of Worm castings. So won’t just adding those castings alone enrich my soil?? Plz share your thoughts, Thanks 🙂

19. David Straub on December 30, 2020 at 11:08 pm

Another great vid Stephen …. I am relatively new to gardening, especially container gardening, and appreciate all the good info I am getting from folks such as yourself. Take care and happy gardening.

20. Neji Macey on December 30, 2020 at 11:08 pm

What varieties of figs grow in your area, you just mentioned it in your video?

21. Cheryl Taylor on December 30, 2020 at 11:10 pm

Thank you for the information. I usually put perennials in the ground but this year I have smart pot with handles. It wasn’t sure how my mum’s would do. I will try putting them in the shed to hold them. You you have any other suggestion?

22. Taco TRD on December 30, 2020 at 11:14 pm

Perennial hoop house in the works yet?

23. bruce don on December 30, 2020 at 11:14 pm

Thanks again Buddy. I really need help with my new blue berries and what I can do with them in the winter

24. Ash on December 30, 2020 at 11:20 pm

Soooooo informative!!!

25. Sandra on December 30, 2020 at 11:22 pm

Hello Stephen i love your videos …i live in Nevada i can not have worms ..is to hot in my zone do i have other choice ..thank you for your videos.

26. dakotabob10 on December 30, 2020 at 11:25 pm

I want to grow some blueberries but our soil is much too alkaline. If I am going to do it, it will have to be in pots where I can amend the soil to the proper PH. Thanks for the pointers.

27. Alexander Legaree on December 30, 2020 at 11:26 pm

This episode is most useful! Thank you, Stephen! We’re getting ready to move and we have to grow in containers!