An Engineer's guide to Plastic in your garden.

Hey friends, I need to tell you a story about my past. Lets travel ALL THE WAY BACK to two nights ago when I woke up at 3AM for no reason, and I couldn’t get back to sleep. Why couldn’t I sleep? Well, I was couldn’t stop thinking… “what kind of video can I leverage my engineering degree to bring more value to my community”…

Now I was much younger back in those days – all starry eyed and full of hope… and what I came up with is that I wanted to make a video on plastics. I know this is a really big concern in the Permaculture space, and well, the whole planet as a whole. We face a plastics crisis the likes of never before, with microplastics being discovered in the deepest areas of our oceans – places where no plastic should ever be. So last night I endeavored to make what I consider, and this is just my opinion:

THE GREATEST VIDEO ON PLASTICS THAT THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN.

And the best news is? For a small fee of $19.99 as a donation to my patreon page, you can gain access to…. LOL just joking. That ain’t me. I honestly want as many people to get this info as possible, to help balance out all the pinterest water bottle DIY garden idea cancer factories.

Also, this way, with the video being free, you can share it with all your friends, so that I can take over the internet and become the most powerful person on earth.

So what is the video? I’m going to talk about all the concerns with plastics, specifically to address comments like “can I use this in my garden?”, or “what type of plastic is best to use to start seeds with, or make a mini greenhouse with”, or at the very least know ways to limit our exposure, and to reduce the degradation mechanisms as low as possible.

Really, it’s just a 22 minute 43 second video that intends to be “THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE ON PLASTICS AND MOST IMPORTANT VIDEO IN THE HISTORY OF HUMANS!”.

No seriously though, it’s a good video, and I think it’ll help a lot of people out.

Peace and love.
Keith

3:25 Start of video (science), talking about degredation mechanisms (try to control these to the extent practical), and chemicals of concern in plastic, then the transmission pathway.

11:55 Types of Plastic, including examples, as well as a strategy for which ones to use if you are going to use some.

19:54 Summary/Conclusion
_____________

You can always support the channel and get some cool shirts, mugs, bags, etc here: https://CanadianPermacultureLegacy.com…

Or help me plant trees directly through Patreon by becoming a Patron:

Want consultation services? Chat 1 on 1 and ask questions about your own project? Or do you want something bigger, like full out consultation? Want me to design your own project? I now offer those services on my website:

For great recipes, cooking, storing, canning, and growing tips, check out Gardening in the North:

Music credits:

Closer by Jay Someday | https://soundcloud.com/jaysomeday
Music promoted by https://www.free-stock-music.com
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License

1. Anna Johansson on February 5, 2021 at 3:14 pm

Avoid plastic at all cost. We humans eat 5g micro plastic every week. Terrible.

2. Matthew Smith on February 5, 2021 at 3:24 pm

What plastics actually still use BPA’s water bottles no longer have BPA’s as the use of BPA has been restricted due to it’s toxicity. At least here in Canada.

3. christin cleaver on February 5, 2021 at 3:35 pm

Thank you, so helpful!

4. PaleGhost69 on February 5, 2021 at 3:42 pm

Ok and I’ll raise you with "Garden in the Plastic"
    Because I dont have any other choice.
    **badum tsh**

5. sheraleethomas on February 5, 2021 at 3:52 pm

Extremely helpful, thanks!!!

6. Ian Lang on February 5, 2021 at 3:52 pm

This is really interesting and useful content.

I will definitely keep this in mind when I can finally start gardening this year!

I really have also enjoyed the game stop and crypto stuff. video variety is good. also excited for the tesla video you mentioned. My wife and I came so close to buying a model 3 but it was just a bit too much for us.

7. Ellie _ on February 5, 2021 at 3:54 pm

Such a useful video thank you so much for sharing your expertise 😊

8. K Gagnon on February 5, 2021 at 3:56 pm

On the road, and won’t be able to catch this until way after the premier. Critical topic–thank you for addressing it–hope it goes big!! Only occasionally do I wish I had a cell phone, lol.

9. Jayme Stevens on February 5, 2021 at 4:00 pm

What type of plastic are seed starting trays? I’ve used toilet paper rolls because there free but they get moldy easy

10. Alec Muller on February 5, 2021 at 4:04 pm

So just to make sure I understand you correctly: if you’re glazing a greenhouse, polyethylene film (PE) is much better than polycarbonate?

11. Garth Wunsch on February 5, 2021 at 4:06 pm

Hey… you’re teasing! Have you met this Montreal YouTuber? https://youtu.be/lnmpeYFBm54 Humungous greenhouse project. Video is 30 minutes, but very interesting. But hey… you know about longish vids LOL.

12. Ben Fleming on February 5, 2021 at 4:09 pm

Hey, Keith! Huge fan! I am building a small pond on my property, do you know if bentonite clay would be a more ecologically friendly approach than using a pond liner to seal the pond?

13. Jayme Stevens on February 5, 2021 at 4:13 pm