Why are my Vegetable Plant Leaves Turning Yellow? Are they Ok to Eat?

John from http://www.growingyourgreens.com/ shares with you why your leafy green vegetable plant leaves may turn yellow. You will also discover if it is ok to eat these yellow leaves.

In this episode, you will learn some of the causes of plant leaves to turn yellow. You will learn some of the specific reasons your plant leaves may turn yellow. which may include too little water, too much water, nutrient deficiency, disease and/or plant stress.

John will share with you the yellow leaves he is having in his spinach bed and how he will hopefully correct the situation. You will also learn if it is safe and nutritious to eat yellow leaves that are still attached to your leafy green vegetable plant.

Next, John will share with you the many shades of arugula in his garden and the yellow, red, and green leaves that may occur during the growth of the plants. You will learn if you can eat red arugula leaves.

You will also discover why it’s important to always harvest your food fresh and eat healthy green leaves whenever you are able.

Finally, you will learn about the healthiest raised bed John is growing and why the plants are so healthy with minimal yellow leaves.

After watching this episode, you will learn more about why your plant leaves turn yellow and how to correct the situation. You will also learn if it is ok to eat old yellow leaves on your leafy green vegetable plants.

Jump to the following part of this episode:
02:22 Episode Starts
04:00 Why are leaves in your garden turning yellow?
08:44 Is it ok to eat the yellow leaves from your leafy green vegetables?
12:40 Why you should eat the most vibrant green leaves
15:30 Can you eat arugula that is red or yellow?
18:24 Eating Bolting Arugula
19:19 Why I have little yellow leaves on this garden bed

Related Episodes:
Reflective Mulch Episode

Subscribe to GrowingYourGreens for more videos like this:

Follow John on Instagram at:

Watch all 1300+ Episodes from GrowingYourGreens at

Buy a GrowingYourGreens Tee Shirt

1. chucky8787 on February 5, 2021 at 11:40 pm

If I were a betting man I would wager that the leaves are yellow due to a magnesium deficiency. The cheapest remedy to this is to water your plants with an Epsom salt/water mixture. I have seen this bring the green back to the leafs. It is also inexpensive.

2. Elain Jones on February 5, 2021 at 11:43 pm

I have problems with my tomatoes plants how often do you water the plants and peppers plants

3. Songsparrow on February 5, 2021 at 11:47 pm

Thank you John!!! You’re the best.

4. raceface_m on February 5, 2021 at 11:48 pm

“ I don’t freakin’ know.” Lmaaooo

5. Michelle Perry on February 5, 2021 at 11:51 pm

I am learning so much, but, John, I wish you’d stop referring to your audience as "guys." I am not a guy, but you’re still talking to me, yes?

6. CurleeTay on February 5, 2021 at 11:51 pm

How do you keep garden pests away ? I know you said you don’t have any, but how do you not have any ? are there any natural ways to get rid of them. Is gardening in containers a better way to avoid pests ? and is it ok to add coffee grinds to your soil ?

7. Rosie Johnson on February 5, 2021 at 11:51 pm

hunt and kill your own meat

8. o k on February 5, 2021 at 11:53 pm

My mixed leaf salad in hanging basket has this yellowing issue. Love these videos and content.

9. Grace on February 5, 2021 at 11:53 pm

Any other pigments other than the chlorophyll pigments are called carotenoids. Carotenoids make up the yellow, red, orange colors in a plant when the chlorophyll is gone. That’s why tree leaves are like that in the fall.

10. Clout Gangster on February 5, 2021 at 11:54 pm

My cherry tomatoes leaves are turning yellow!!!

11. Ипполит Матвеевич on February 5, 2021 at 11:59 pm

Chemtrails? Solar Radiation Management? Geoengineering?

12. John Minogue on February 6, 2021 at 12:00 am

John I love how you are passionate about your plants and health. Hats off to you, keep up the good work. J.t

13. Carolyn Collier on February 6, 2021 at 12:01 am

Too much talking and not much information! !!

14. batenkait0s on February 6, 2021 at 12:01 am

reasons too little sun
    pests
    too little water
    fungi
    leaf is too old
    failed grafting project
    too much sun
    someone used spray paint

2 is it okay to eat
    answer it depends on the cause if it is just a mineral deficiency they wont be as healthy but are still edible same if they are just too old but if the problem is fungal bacterial caused by worms such as nematodes or amoeba or arthropods i would not recommend the risk of pathogens or mycotoxins .if it is just caterpillar damage its okay as long as the plant is not toxic like tomato leaves

15. Budsville USA on February 6, 2021 at 12:03 am

That’s fuckin hilarious, " because to me eating the yellow leaves are like eating OLD leaves" LMFAO I love this guy man. Best gardener on YouTube.

16. Nathanael Corker on February 6, 2021 at 12:04 am

Hi. I have a pepper related problem which is similar to this. A big proportion of the new buds that are forming are YELLOW in colour. With the slightest touch, they fall off leaving a CLEAN BREAK. When I cut the tiny bud open, the flesh contains a lot of moisture. Please help me understand what is going wrong!!! Thank you, Nathanael

17. jack watkins on February 6, 2021 at 12:05 am

I’m surprised and I’m cutting in right here at almost the end but you didn’t mention that it had maybe a magnesium deficiency that causes things to Yellow. And then you could maybe just get some dr. Teal’s Epsom salt and put on it.
    Now on the other thing about eating the meat. You said this kill it and bring it in and eat . Well it’s kind of tough to eat a whole deer or steer and even though they have a Whole Hog bbq it’s still tough the whole hog at once. But it properly taken care of you can enjoy a great meet for a long time. And I don’t know people in my neck of the woods sit and wait on hunting season to come in to kill deer. It’s that magical day in October for bowhunters and November for gun Hunters that transforms all deer into edible meat. Well last year I killed a couple in July and 1 in August out of my garden. He ate my stuff so I ate him. So go ahead and kill that deer in the summer they kill beef year round! Just be sure and have you a good shop fan and when you hang him up turn that fan on full blast and it will keep the flies blown away and just work him up quickly. I mean he already has a body temperature that is warmer than it is outside. And also that will be one less dear to eat your hard earned vegetables that you put a lot of money and time into raising just let them come in one night and wipe everything out. And when your fertilizing and watering just don’t forget the Epsom salt! It’s good for things other than soaking your feet!

18. Home Gardens on February 6, 2021 at 12:06 am

Vibrant green Kale seeds are so yummy and nutritious. Good mine outside covered in snow at present!

19. Gary & Raquel Lara on February 6, 2021 at 12:06 am

Good video. Thank u

20. Balsey Dean De Witt, Jr. on February 6, 2021 at 12:08 am

0:48 The weeds are doing better then the spinach!

21. Daisy Maddie on February 6, 2021 at 12:09 am

Thanks for sharing, very informative. I love your garden! 😃

22. Slow RC Mike on February 6, 2021 at 12:09 am

Just purchased two shirts green one and the blue one 🙏🏽😎🌱

23. Robert bonham on February 6, 2021 at 12:09 am

I have ducks

24. Barry Anderson on February 6, 2021 at 12:09 am

it is good to have a shorter length video

25. Jon Griffin on February 6, 2021 at 12:09 am

Are you still in Vegas?

26. Hayden Owens on February 6, 2021 at 12:10 am

Hey that weed you pulled out at the start of the video we call that in New Zealand Puha. And we cook that in a soup that consists of pork bones, potatoes and that weed "Puha" lol we also use water cress in that soup or cabbage. Its a popular native food in NZ 🙂

27. Sharmain H on February 6, 2021 at 12:13 am

Please stop making videos so long omg get to the point

28. Pamela Ticer on February 6, 2021 at 12:14 am

Love you dearly and so happy that I found you living here in fabulous Las Vegas as I do , and I can actually have someone to address the problems that I have living here in the desert but sometimes you’re so excited and you just talk way too fast and I have to rewind and listen to it three times over to hear what you got to say obviously because I want to hear what you got to say!. I want to listen to you. I appreciate what you have to say. But sometimes its a lot of work just to hear what you have to say to benefit me my darling angel cakes & desert plant Guru helper Of My small hot patio container Life.

29. Pamela Ticer on February 6, 2021 at 12:14 am

😁

30. Andrew Nel on February 6, 2021 at 12:15 am

I stand foot deep nursery bags in five inch deep bowls of grey water. The plants grow faster and the leaves are almost twice as large. Conventional irrigation leaches the nutrients out of the soil and uses more water. The lemon pips that I put in the capillary action irritated soil are germinating.

31. Rosie Johnson on February 6, 2021 at 12:17 am

fox farm

32. Rosie Johnson on February 6, 2021 at 12:23 am

your awsome john

33. Jim Lawson on February 6, 2021 at 12:24 am

You can eat the yellow leaves but don’t you eat the yellow. snow

34. paul k on February 6, 2021 at 12:24 am

thank you. i got the answer in the first 2 minutes so did not watch the long winded round about way to finally getting to the point guy. at about the 2 minute mark you said you don’t know which let me know the rest of your video would be filled with chatter and maybe a few ideas. i do not have time to watch 20 odd minutes when some out there give a quick direct answer.

35. ZaksWILL on February 6, 2021 at 12:25 am

🤔
    sustainable Snacking?
    Eating healthy yellow leaves?
    Eating Right off the bush?
    Sustainable Grazing?
    🤔

🤔 Nutrients Nutrition Natural Nature 🤔

36. Rudy Avina on February 6, 2021 at 12:26 am

Cool video.

37. Mindy Gigantelli on February 6, 2021 at 12:26 am

You are great!! I’m a newbie and I’ve found you very helpful and informative. Thanks!!

38. L J Acree on February 6, 2021 at 12:27 am

A critter ate the root-tip of a turnip, so I harvested the bulb. But it is still green. Is it safe to eat?

39. Rob on February 6, 2021 at 12:27 am

Ok, here’s another question.

If there is a nutrient deficiency, how long does it take for the leaves to be restored after feeding with said nutrients?

40. Ethan K on February 6, 2021 at 12:30 am

Guy: eat your yellow leaves they’re good
    Also guy: i have never eaten a yellow leaf in my life before now

41. Diane Prostko on February 6, 2021 at 12:31 am

John, you are so interesting! I enjoy your rambling videos. I learn so much and it’s like having a good friend come into my home. My husband is your doppleganger and he too is quite the chatty person. It takes us an hour to buy a box of screws from Lowe’s because he stops to talk to everyone. Garden is going strong, you were our inspiration to enlarge it this spring.

42. Robert Dennis on February 6, 2021 at 12:31 am

Tank you Mr. George. I learn a lot from your teaching, about yellow leave,

43. JOYFUL JH on February 6, 2021 at 12:31 am

Very helpful. Thanks💗👍🏻

44. William Wallis on February 6, 2021 at 12:33 am

Dude love all your hard work but yes u have not protected your hard work food from chem trails and you are eating it ?????

45. Khalil Elkhaldy on February 6, 2021 at 12:35 am

Jhon, it’s good to spread your knowledge to others, in purpose to communicate achieving healthy way of vigitatabl production in small scales.
    I have small 2 balcony,( 2x 6f) can I implant tomato, cucumber, tee, in 5 gallon bucket?
    Do u have small amount of seeds to grow these? Living in E Orlando FL. .thanks

46. James Page on February 6, 2021 at 12:36 am

BUILD THE WALL, TRUMP 2020

47. Stacey Here We Grow Again on February 6, 2021 at 12:36 am

Great advice!! I always try and utilize everything I grow 🐝 Thanks for sharing! You always have such great information to give!

48. Jeff Dunnell on February 6, 2021 at 12:38 am

Get to the point,yappa yappa yappa,I don’t need

49. Rob on February 6, 2021 at 12:38 am

I haven’t yet watch this the whole way truth, but I have a question. Wait, you just answered it.

Patience. 🤓

50. James Page on February 6, 2021 at 12:38 am

This guy will put anything in his mouth and ass.