15 Medicinal Herbs and Their Uses for This Fall | Herb Garden Tour

These 15 medicinal herbs are easy to grow at home! Join me for an herbal garden tour and learn which medicinal herbs and their uses I’m growing for use all year-round but especially during fall and winter. Click “SHOW MORE” for list and “MORE ABOUT ME” for some freebies!

Being able to grow your own medicine and use them to help aid your family through ailments is a wonderful thing. Here are my top 15 medicinal herbs:

1. Elderberry (my elderberry syrup recipe https://youtu.be/R_l7OGi4YNk )
2. Feverfew
3. Marshmallow
4. Valerian
5. Yarrow
6. Chamomile
7. Echinacea
8. Holy Basil (Tulsi)
9. Wood Betony
10. Hyssop
11. Lavender
12. Peppermint
13. Sage
14. Lemon Balm
15. Horehound

To get on the waitlist and for more info on the herbal class and challenge with the Pioneering Today Academy https://melissaknorris.com/PTA

**********************
MORE ABOUT ME

Howdy! I’m so glad you’re here. I’m Melissa from Pioneering Today and a 5th generation homesteader where I’m doing my best to hold onto the old traditions in a modern world and share them with others.

For raising, cooking and preserving your own food come hang out with on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/melissaknorris/ and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/melissaknorris/

Click any of the below links for FREE resources and trainings to help you in your homestead!

Homemade Sourdough Starter Series https://melissaknorris.com/learnsourdough

How to Pressure Can Series https://melissaknorris.com/pressurecanning

Beginners Home Canning Safety https://melissaknorris.com/canningclass

**********
My Books:

The Family Garden Plan http://familygardenplan.com/
Hand Made 100+ From Scratch Recipes http://handmadethebook.com/ (has an herbal chapter with recipes)
The Made-from-Scratch Life http://madefromscratchlife.com/

**********************

1. Mary W on February 10, 2021 at 5:18 pm

How often can you use these herbs and should you not use them long term?

2. Judy Hempstead on February 10, 2021 at 5:19 pm

Melissa, can you please make a video showing how to use the dehydrater…I just ordered the one you have listed on your video.

3. Tracy vancuylenburg on February 10, 2021 at 5:22 pm

Hi Melissa greetings from melbourne Australia 🇦🇺. Thanks for sharing your knowledge about the herbs in your Garden …

4. Suzie Carter on February 10, 2021 at 5:23 pm

How do we get on your email list?

5. Heidi Misfeldt on February 10, 2021 at 5:25 pm

❤😃

6. dwk49 on February 10, 2021 at 5:26 pm

My Lemon did spread everywhere, but then it disappeared completely.

7. Matthew Willis on February 10, 2021 at 5:26 pm

Did the course every come out? Late to the party. Would love to see it!

8. rcat32 on February 10, 2021 at 5:26 pm

You’re my role model as i start homesteading and gardening ny myself at age 69. I struggle wirh the work but next year for sure i need to get these herbs into the ground plus vegies and more fruit trees as the pear tree hasnt done anything but grow leaves and get taller. Ive also been getting canning supplies as the food pantries and highrises and kids lunch programs throw away tons of food on a daily basis. I compost alot of it but want to get a freezer. I just found a second dehydrator. You’re lucky you have support. Thanks for the herbal peptalk. I’m in Pittsburgh city but have half an acre.

9. Robin Hazeslip on February 10, 2021 at 5:26 pm

Love herbs! Use them as flowers/pollinators

10. Lori on February 10, 2021 at 5:28 pm

Good luck containing the lemon balm. I planted one small plant and it has spread over 200 feet away! Nice to have lots but it is everywhere.

11. Pursue Simple Joy on February 10, 2021 at 5:34 pm

For plants that you just use the root for medicinally (like Marshmallow) do you compost the leaves/flowers/stems or use them for other things?

12. yashashree clarice on February 10, 2021 at 5:35 pm

i have special medicinal herbs visit me guys

13. Carolyn Qammaz PA. on February 10, 2021 at 5:36 pm

What type of lavender did you plant? The two I have smells like a foot rub. Not so nice.

14. Virginia Chai on February 10, 2021 at 5:37 pm

Just wanting to source the herbal plant seeds, what companies do you use?

15. JenReid12 on February 10, 2021 at 5:37 pm

I tried using valerian when I was nursing in a juvenile detention facility as charge nurse as I thought it would be better than medication for addicts and alcoholics that had Hep C. Unfortunately it affected their livers increasing their liver function tests (blood test) which means it was very hard on their livers. I am not suggesting that this would happen to people with healthy livers. I love your show and love watching you, I can see your enthusiasm.

16. Judy Harwell on February 10, 2021 at 5:38 pm

Where do you buy your herbs if yours are not ready to harvest or you do not grow some of what you need? Like Marshmallow root?

17. Ebrahim Snyders on February 10, 2021 at 5:41 pm

Hi Melissa, thanks so much for the great videos and the medicinal values of each of your Herbs, Ebrahim and Merise South Africa.

18. Ghadah Kaleel on February 10, 2021 at 5:41 pm

I like this list 🙂 Which of these can be planted from seed at this time of year?

19. Darrell Lee on February 10, 2021 at 5:42 pm

I have red elder berries, but have a hard time finding info abought red elder. Can you use red elder I herd it’s more dangerous than the black elder.

20. LittleTree Oppy on February 10, 2021 at 5:43 pm

We bought a home on 2 acres that was previously owned by an elderly couple that had eventually passed away because of old age… The owned the house for like 20 years… Soooo many medicinal herbs are all over the yard. The yard is overgrown for the last 10 years so each season from now on, I get a new supply and surprise here and there. This spring I am determined to get all of the original gardens weeded, all the poison ivy out, and back to their original glory.

21. Tom Anderson on February 10, 2021 at 5:44 pm

Love your video

22. Judy Vance on February 10, 2021 at 5:44 pm

How do you tell difference between elderberry and tree of heaven?

23. T E on February 10, 2021 at 5:45 pm

Thank you for sharing this with us, great information! ❤️

24. Cathleen on February 10, 2021 at 5:46 pm

I planted Holy Basil for the first time this year and I LOVE the fragrance-very different from more traditional varieties.

25. Erin on February 10, 2021 at 5:48 pm

I absolutely LOVE your videos! Do you have any showing you harvesting your herbs?

26. Kat G. on February 10, 2021 at 5:48 pm

Would be great to show how to harvest these herbs.

27. Sheri Karanasos on February 10, 2021 at 5:50 pm

I have a purple variety. Is it the same? I also watched another video on Elderberry’s and they said to cut them down to the ground each year. I bravely did that this Spring and yes the plant came back tall, strong and beautiful but there are no flowers. 🙁 How do you care for them and is my variety medicinal as well or just ornate? Thanks for anyone who can comment.

28. Chelsey McCarthy on February 10, 2021 at 5:52 pm

So im late and you might not see this but maybe someone else will know, I didnt hear any herbs for pain relief. I LOVE clove. Its incredibly effective topically and its my go to. But I cant grow it here so I’m searching for an herb that might be comparable. Any suggestions?

29. Aniek Scharenborg on February 10, 2021 at 5:53 pm

You’re so good at making videos! You recover so well after small mess ups
    I like you very charismatic

30. Terry Carefoot on February 10, 2021 at 5:54 pm

We have lots of yarrow it grows wild on my property

31. Nikki on February 10, 2021 at 5:57 pm

I just made a new bottle of yarrow tincture a few days ago for my medical kit. I have cut myself more times than I care to admit and I can attest to the fact that it stops bleeding and quickly! Everything looks great, I just bought The Family garden plan and it’s an EXCELLENT read! 👍🏻👌🏻

Have you grown blue spice basil? I’m growing it for the first time this year and it’s a keeper! It tastes like bubblegum and chai, it’s yummy 😀

32. Misty Finley on February 10, 2021 at 5:57 pm

Where can I get the rubber boots you wear in your garden?

33. Claudia Vogel on February 10, 2021 at 5:58 pm

I am finally growing my beloved herbs and vegetables, after five years living on our our little piece of heaven, here in North Texas. I have many of the herbs you mentioned (including four varieties of large elderberry plants). I have seeds for what I haven’t actually planted this year. They WILL get planted in the Spring! I have struggled with where to plant the “invasive” herbs, and I think you gave me an idea when you talked about your Lemon Balm and Horehound (both of which are currently in my herb garden), although I did worry about them taking over. We have a 80 foot gravel driveway, with a patch of green down the middle. I’m thinking I might run the rototiller down the middle, dig in some compost and plant the mint, Lemon Balm and Horehound In the middle of the driveway, (20 feet apart) and let them grow. If they grow into the gravel, or even into the grass 4 feet away – so what! Like you said, they will just get cut off by the lawn mower. The driveway is close enough to the garden, that I can water the plants there, when I water the garden. =D

34. JACQUELINE LEBRON on February 10, 2021 at 6:01 pm

NYC to the MOUNTAINS Looking for land to start our homestead! 2020-21 can’t wait! Great info! My new mentor, thx you so much! Keep them coming!❤️💡💭💡❤️💡😍

35. Saba Venus on February 10, 2021 at 6:02 pm

New subscriber =)

36. Donnette Henderson on February 10, 2021 at 6:03 pm

Thank you! I keep planting more and more herbs as well. Sometimes difficult to find places but you gave me some ideas.

37. Fleetwood Patch on February 10, 2021 at 6:03 pm

Melissa, do you feel lemon balm is fairly easy to grow indoors?

38. Prepper In Tn on February 10, 2021 at 6:05 pm

Yes please show us when you harvest the Echinacea roots 💕🌞😃

39. Money Moves on February 10, 2021 at 6:05 pm

I want elderberry as well 😐

40. Andreas Koch on February 10, 2021 at 6:06 pm

Folks, believe her, if she say to plant Peppermints in Pots! I was planting Peppermint on my fruit trees and in my herb spiral. I have now peppermint everywhere in my Garden. When i use the lawn mover, its even a pain in the eyes, but smells gorgeous 🙂

41. Sara Cummins on February 10, 2021 at 6:09 pm

Thank you!!!🌱 🕊️🙌🏼🕊️🌿

42. Felix Fletcher-Smith on February 10, 2021 at 6:10 pm

what are the pink flowers by the sage? They are so vibrant against the white building behind

43. Amy N on February 10, 2021 at 6:11 pm

Mint can relax muscles to the point of causing acid reflux if you drink it too frequently, FYI!

44. Theresa D on February 10, 2021 at 6:12 pm

Thank you for the detailed tour of the herbs in your gardens. I’m longing to get mine established. I can’t wait to start planting. I’ll be starting a lot of seeds indoors soon so I can enjoy watching things grow as I wait for the thaw in New England.

45. Sandra Hammer on February 10, 2021 at 6:12 pm

How do I get on your email list?

46. Balsey Dean De Witt, Jr. on February 10, 2021 at 6:13 pm

You forgot the best herb of all! Mary Jane!

47. A C on February 10, 2021 at 6:14 pm

Thank you for the list, I have a few of these plant’s growing I live up by the Canadian border, so I understand the slugs, and rain, cool summer’s.

48. steve trapp on February 10, 2021 at 6:16 pm

Mail list what mail list ?

49. Catherine Glinskaya on February 10, 2021 at 6:17 pm

great info! I appreciate naming the plants and what they are used for. Could you also share some details on how to actually use these herbs? fresh, dried, steeped/ rubbed, something else?

50. Sheila Reynolds on February 10, 2021 at 6:17 pm

don’t use lemon balm if you have thyroid issues..do your research.