7 Essential Tips When Planning Your 2021 Vegetable Garden | Plan For Year-Round Food Abundance

http://planforabundance.com/ – Use coupon code YOUTUBE20 to get 20% off the Productive Planting Plan Online Course. Alternative link: https://abundanceacademy.online/p/the-monthly-planting-plan

With thanks to Liz Zorab for letting me use an extract from one of her videos: https://youtu.be/DGK7bhvr_4s

Competition Rules: 3 winners will be randomly selected at Tuesday noon (UK time) and I will reply to your comment to let you know. Be sure to check your notifications and good luck!

-Huw’s books-
Signed copies of my books: https://huwrichards.shop/

-Clothing-
Awesome clothing designed for vegetable gardeners: https://huwrichards.teemill.com/

-Online Courses-
More Food Less Effort Course: http://morefoodlesseffort.com/
Planting Plan Short Course: https://abundanceacademy.online/p/the-monthly-planting-plan

-Social-

8:09 Tip 7
8:53 Bonus Tip 1
9:33 Bonus Tip 2
9:54 Closing

#gardenplanning #plantingplan #permaculture

1. LuvMiddleEarth on February 10, 2021 at 5:17 pm

For me, I’m hoping to start my garden this year. So my three goals are:
    Start my permaculture garden with my 1st raised garden bed
    Focus on heritage varieties
    Learn to dry, preserve and basically to use as much of my produce as possible to be self sufficient in something.
    The summer season in Australia atm has been a mix of hot and cool, so it will certainly be an interesting season going into autumn and winter this year

2. stewart wilson on February 10, 2021 at 5:18 pm

1)become more self sustainable growing larger amounts of organic veg , fruits ect and building on last years homemade compost
    2) Invite more birds and bugs and rely more on natural pest control creating a wildlife haven around the allotment for ultimate balance in the future
    3)Get WAY better at sow timings in wales for succession planting

3. Stacy K. on February 10, 2021 at 5:18 pm

Love your goals! I too am adding more companion flowers(mostly edible), also adding more perennial vegetables(and fruits), and hoping to build a greenhouse.

4. Mm Poggs on February 10, 2021 at 5:18 pm

Hi, my 3 are-
    1) to make a seed propagation house.
    2) put compost piles into pallet bunkers.
    3)Plan a rolling harvest of daily provision.

5. Sunny Buttercups on February 10, 2021 at 5:19 pm

Great video (again) thank you!
    Goals: 1 to produce fresh fruit and veg for my family if 5 in my new veg plot.
    2. To grow organically and maximize space to grow super abundantly.
    3. Have pumpkins for the kids for Halloween.

6. Alexandra Smith on February 10, 2021 at 5:22 pm

Was that a ‘Munch by Munch’ outline?

7. Kalindi Fournier on February 10, 2021 at 5:23 pm

1. Planning for less insect and snail/slug devastation
    2. Growing more unique vegetables (like maybe Ocra and watermelon!)
    3. Growing more flowers in my veggie garden!

8. That Gardener on February 10, 2021 at 5:24 pm

Such lovely informative video as always thank you

9. Aglianico Ashenvale on February 10, 2021 at 5:24 pm

3 Goals:

1: Plant apple trees
    2: Restore root cellar
    3: self sufficient on potatoes this year

10. احمد عبد القادر Kder on February 10, 2021 at 5:25 pm

I start my continer garden

11. Greenspace Zambia on February 10, 2021 at 5:26 pm

1. To start planning
    2. Food all year-round
    3. No-dig gardening which will be a big adjustment

12. Neelu E Photo on February 10, 2021 at 5:28 pm

Oh so sad. I missed the first three days of the video.

13. Lamp in Deep Waters on February 10, 2021 at 5:29 pm

I printed my almanac plan this week and got my seeds organized. I think i kinda have a schedule until August but rotation of crops I’m not so sure about. Down to space planing now and I have a side yard I’m trying to figure out what to plant it gets ok light in morning but is under a tree between two houses. I’m thinking bush beans, onions, garlic, potatoes, and lettuce and leave the rest of my direct full sun southern facing garden to all my other crops. We get lots of heat in summer and lots of spring storms. Zone 7. My only issue with my side garden is my outdoor water spouts are limited. Some of my better garden locations lack water access and all our hoses everywhere becomes and issue or damages other plants trying to drag hoses around. We have underground sprinklers that don’t work and built improperly before we purchased our home so I don’t use them use they have to be ripped out. I’m half tempted to get pvc pipe to do a sprinkler run to the side yard but I’m on a budget. Any water tips on a budget? If I had money I’d get a holding tank and do a timed gravity feed and use some rain water but again my budget. Want something I can build on as budget permits.

14. ART sultan on February 10, 2021 at 5:30 pm

😍👍

15. Ian Crouse on February 10, 2021 at 5:31 pm

Great video… Backup on Google Drive would be a must. As an author, I use GD everyday.

If Google crashes for long periods of time, I doubt that food would be important anyway.

16. Renee Arena on February 10, 2021 at 5:32 pm

My goals: 1. Be more food independent; 2. Grow heirlooms/plants from Northeastern US 3. Keep costs as low as possible.

17. Hope de Jesus on February 10, 2021 at 5:35 pm

Hello Huw Richards! I am a new subscriber here.Thanks I found out your channel,I was so impressed and interested watching it,! I learned a lot from you. Can’t wait to see you on your next video.God bless!

18. Debbie King Tampa on February 10, 2021 at 5:42 pm

These are great tips! Thank you

19. Mercie Pangilan on February 10, 2021 at 5:46 pm

Thanks for all your information, it’s very productive. I’m from Philippines I’m also trying to start farming. 👍👍👍

20. Daya Feickert on February 10, 2021 at 5:48 pm

My goals: most of family food coming from garden, grow enough to help others, get fruit bushes and trees to take root and thrive

21. minima moralia on February 10, 2021 at 5:49 pm

Nice video. But…- google drive?😭😭😭😨😱😵😣

22. Karen S on February 10, 2021 at 5:50 pm

1) Create raised beds [to deter, save more plants from, groundhogs]
    2) Improve my skill at, and do more, propagation from cuttings [plants, herbs, trees, shrubs]
    3) Learn how to use my hoop house better for succession planting as seasons/temps in there change.

23. The Adhd Gardener on February 10, 2021 at 5:52 pm

Oh gosh I wish I saw this video b4 I started my planning lol
    3 Goals
    -Get weeding under control by trying square food gardening method
    -growing more Brassicas like cauliflower n cabbage
    -Start a cut flower garden

Damn I didn’t even realize those were my goals for the year 😆 thanks

24. O'Driscoll Family Homestead Experiment on February 10, 2021 at 5:52 pm

We’re planning our first garden now. This is so helpful! Thank you!

25. Learn To Grow on February 10, 2021 at 5:52 pm

Hi Huw! Great video! Have you grown perennial tree collards? They are hardy to 25 degrees Fahrenheit. Mulch in the fall and they should be fine as long as they are not standing in snow for more than three days. The varieties we grow are purple and Merritt tree collards and can grow over 8 feet tall. I’m also starting some perennial kales such as sea kale and kaleidoscopic Grex (hybrid). I just winter sowed ramp seeds (wild leek), which is a perennial and hardy to -35 F.
    Happy gardening friend!
    Misilla

26. Huw Richards on February 10, 2021 at 5:53 pm

Happy New Year😀! Unfortunatley I have no idea when I can next do in-person courses, so I created an online course version of one of the day courses I had in mind called The Productive Planting Plan. Check it out at https://abundanceacademy.online/p/the-monthly-planting-plan and use coupon code YOUTUBE20 to get 20% off the course! I look forward to hearing your gardening goals for 2021🌻

27. Mallory Paddock on February 10, 2021 at 5:54 pm

My goals are to till out the back half of my yard, marking out the veggie beds and some flower beds. Second is to start the rose garden, and third is to get my decking latticed in to keep the cats from sneaking under there.

28. unconventionalMi on February 10, 2021 at 5:55 pm

I know I’ve missed the deadline but here are my goals: to grow as much food as possible in my tiny garden, to learn about planting times in this new area we’ve moved to (and keep a record), and to grow a couple of vegetables that we don’t normally buy to see if we like them better home grown. Thanks for the lovely video!

29. Mechelle Olson on February 10, 2021 at 5:56 pm

Great ideas! Love your garden

30. Lillian Ward on February 10, 2021 at 5:57 pm

I know this is true for pumpkins and I think it is for squash as well – they grow in the opposite direction of the first true leaf! Unless under a lot of light pressure

31. Amanda Gochenour on February 10, 2021 at 5:57 pm

My goals for this Summer’s Garden are 1. build more raised beds
    2. be more organized
    3. plant more food
    4. Share more foods with family and friends and neighbors. 🙂

32. I Bel on February 10, 2021 at 5:58 pm

Huw. I am subscribed but have only just seen this video. Is it too late to join the planning party?
    My 3 goals are
    1. Build soil. This is only the second season I will be enjoying gardening at my new place and we have a very high clay content and very low nutrient and soil biology.
    2. To plan for and begin my food forest including fruit and nut trees and doing so with appropriate plant guilds in mind and future structures
    3. Start my plant nursery where I grow my own seedlings and have enough to share in my community.

33. Mrs. Phibes on February 10, 2021 at 6:01 pm

Great video! My 3 goals for 2021 are build at least 5 raised beds, be diligent about keeping the suckers pruned from tomato plants, and successfully collect and store seeds.

34. segal holloway on February 10, 2021 at 6:03 pm

Hi Huw, I am starting on my journey to producing my own vegetable. I have already set up my beds but I was wondering what I could use around the vegetable beds to use as a path. Many Thanks.

35. Josune on February 10, 2021 at 6:03 pm

Puedes habilitar subtítulos en español?

36. Lori Armstrong on February 10, 2021 at 6:04 pm

37. Ramthian Thomson on February 10, 2021 at 6:04 pm

Great 👍

38. sbanders2785 on February 10, 2021 at 6:07 pm

Mine are:
    1. Try to grow enough veggies sow e don*t have to shop for veggies from April – December.
    2. Grow more flowers in the garden, including these gigantic sunflowers I am super excited about.
    3. Establish 5 new beds in the autumn for next year.
    Bonus goal 4: Create all my own compost for the autumn.

39. Damien Alvarez on February 10, 2021 at 6:07 pm

Goals:
    1. Grow organic food for my family of four.
    2. Teach my two sons earth sciences using hands on experience.
    3. Serve as an example to my community that self sufficiency is a viable way in which a person can help take a stand against climate change.

40. Kristen Johnson on February 10, 2021 at 6:09 pm

My 3 goals are to :
    1. Make my soil the healthiest possible.
    2. Grow potatoes- why am I scared to grow potatoes?!
    3. Grow enough to share with friends and family.

41. Gary z on February 10, 2021 at 6:10 pm

Unfortunately all veg seed is considered non-essential and is banned from sale in Wales. It sucks. Can only buy online. Have a word with the Welsh government if you can.

42. Cristal LaPrade on February 10, 2021 at 6:12 pm

My 2021 goal: Document on your calendar the day you plant a variety AND it’s expected harvest date. Useful when you are working with new varieties.

43. The Fresh Prince Of Buckingham on February 10, 2021 at 6:13 pm

Do you have an online course at all mate?

44. Adreia Neves on February 10, 2021 at 6:14 pm

Você é lindo

45. Robin H. Webb on February 10, 2021 at 6:14 pm

My three goals:
    – Efficiently design the garden.
    – Prevent pests naturally.
    – Eat/preserve/share/sell the bounty.

46. M on February 10, 2021 at 6:15 pm

– want to try new varieties
    -healthier plants
    -planning on a planting plan

47. Courtney L. Turner on February 10, 2021 at 6:15 pm

Sorry I missed the deadline, but I want to document my three goals: 1) grow more of, and only, foods we like. 2) improve soil quality and attract beneficial insects. 3) grow at least 37 sunflowers and have cutting flowers from March-November.

48. Lamp in Deep Waters on February 10, 2021 at 6:15 pm

Great advice. Some of these things we will be doing with our school age children. I think planning, notebooking, observation and research all go hand in hand with gardening. Every year we learn something new and try to be innovative with problem solving and it is just a fantastic environment for learning so many different subjects all in one place, the garden. When I was about my children’s age our class was asked to pick a spot down by the wetlands to sit and observe and every week for a year we would go to our spot, collect samples, take notes of changes and had to draw a full sketch of our spot. After a year we had notes and drawings of every square inch and every season and change and knew the light and the trees and the critters by heart. We are doing that this year with our children and each kid is getting their own plot in the garden and every week we are going to go sit and draw, note and observe our little plots. We are going to start a garden notebook and catalog every plant in our garden too. One of my children has asthma so we are making her plot a respiratory garden and teaching her about all those medicinal plants, teas and hopefully learning how to use them in our home.

49. Renee Brown on February 10, 2021 at 6:16 pm

Or you can load your plans to a USB drive. Then it fits into your pocket.

50. Home sci on February 10, 2021 at 6:16 pm