7 Top Vegetables EASY to Grow in a HOT Summer

These are my “seven” top vegetables that are easy to grow in hot summer or warm climates like the subtropics or tropics.

Don’t let the heat stop you from growing delicious food in your backyard no matter how sizzling hot summer gets! This list of vegetables not only love the hot weather they also taste great!

Support me on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/selfsufficientme

Help support the Channel and buy a T-shirt/Merchandise from our Spreadshirt shop: https://goo.gl/ygrXwU

Shop on Amazon for plants: https://bit.ly/2yRFNGQ

Shop for plants on eBay Australia: https://bit.ly/2BPCykb

Blog: http://www.selfsufficientme.com/ (use the search bar on my website to find info on certain subjects or gardening ideas)

Forum: http://www.selfsufficientculture.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SelfSufficie…

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SufficientMe

Subscribe to my channel: http://goo.gl/cpbojR

Self Sufficient Me is based on our small 3-acre property/homestead in SE Queensland Australia about 45kms north of Brisbane – the climate is subtropical (similar to Florida). I started Self Sufficient Me in 2011 as a blog website project where I document and write about backyard food growing, self-sufficiency, and urban farming in general. I love sharing my foodie and DIY adventures online so come along with me and let’s get into it! Cheers, Mark 🙂

1. Michael Cowen on February 10, 2021 at 5:16 pm

Hey mate….Wear a broad brim hat

2. Cheshire Erlinberts on February 10, 2021 at 5:17 pm

HAIL THE KALE 😂😂

3. Penny Jupiter on February 10, 2021 at 5:18 pm

Hi there, I’ve just mulched my corn with lucerne and the lower leaves have started yellowing a few days later. (I’m in Sydney Australia). Watering has been consistent and soil should be good. Pretty good amount of sun. Any ideas much appreciated.

4. Shaker7 on February 10, 2021 at 5:20 pm

RIPPER mate

5. Darren North on February 10, 2021 at 5:23 pm

"Its so hot". So where is your hat?

6. idratherpaint on February 10, 2021 at 5:24 pm

how do you not get cockatoos destroy your vege crop? my old man used to grow vege in queensland and the cockatoos would decimate his crop.

love your videos

7. lucy miranda on February 10, 2021 at 5:26 pm

Great vídeo. But did you know that sweet potato leaves are edible? They are very delicious and nutritivos. Here in África its a regular staple food.

8. Nick Soares on February 10, 2021 at 5:30 pm

Mark’s dad jokes are the best

9. Anne Onyach on February 10, 2021 at 5:30 pm

Add beetroot your list

10. Probinsyano on February 10, 2021 at 5:33 pm

kangkong is so easy to grow.

11. skinnylegend - on February 10, 2021 at 5:33 pm

1:03 lana del rey coming through

12. Jacqueline Andersen on February 10, 2021 at 5:34 pm

Also Samsung, water leaf, Okinawa spinach, Ceylon spinach, all thrive all year round here in Townsville.

13. Chris on February 10, 2021 at 5:35 pm

Awesome video

14. Hafeez on February 10, 2021 at 5:35 pm

Kangkung is called water spinach as well

15. Walligator Aulin on February 10, 2021 at 5:36 pm

Loved your video. When it comes to bitter gourd, stir-fry it with lots of onion. You don´t even have to pre salt it. 😉

16. Takari Endoh on February 10, 2021 at 5:39 pm

Love your videos Mark! By the way, ‘Kangkong’ is pronounced ‘kung-kong’ in Asia. I’m from Malaysia and watch your videos daily, always makes me laugh!

17. Jane Doe on February 10, 2021 at 5:41 pm

Dandelion leaves yum ☘️🌷

18. Mike Chapman on February 10, 2021 at 5:41 pm

I have tried to grow sweet potato in NZ for the past 2 summers and though it grew well, I had nothing to show for it when it came to harvest. Any ideas what went wrong? I used a raised bed like yours, plenty of organic matter and water but I literally got nothing. Love the videos. Keep it up. Mike

19. mamia nganu on February 10, 2021 at 5:42 pm

💞😎👍

20. Kirsten Olson on February 10, 2021 at 5:43 pm

Kangkong is also called "kongxin cai" which means "empty-heart greens".

21. Dante Christ on February 10, 2021 at 5:44 pm

Hail to the king kale

22. Mason Finney on February 10, 2021 at 5:44 pm

You know he’s Australian when the first words are: “crikey it’s hot”

23. Artemio Abad on February 10, 2021 at 5:44 pm

"Hale to the kale." Really funny, Mark. And thanks for the video.

24. Brian Bradford on February 10, 2021 at 5:47 pm

It makes me wonder why i watch your videos when the all seeing eye thats screams new world order cause you ruined the earth you trash bag! pops as the main intro.

25. kaveendra Gunasena on February 10, 2021 at 5:48 pm

I’m From Srilanka I can grow everything here triy some cardamom from seed

26. JaySun Awakes on February 10, 2021 at 5:49 pm

Appreciate all your videos fully, I’ve learned a lot watching your channel. Your knowledge about quails and citrus trees is especially helpful since I plan on raising them soon as well as rabbits. Don’t have as much space but been working on being more self sufficient from around September. So far have tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, pumpkins, plantain, bell peppers, scotch bonnet peppers, dill, sweet basil, coriander, thyme and cabbages growing, you’ve convinced me to do some kale… lolz The new trees I put in are java plum, soursop, 2 limes, coconut from seed and a breadfruit from a friend’s tree. Thanks to you my lemon trees and grapefruit are doing much better. Bless up from Jamaica

27. Andrew Yerex on February 10, 2021 at 5:49 pm

Hale the kale …. loveit ur a classic … but in all seriousness we will be trying it during our hot spell aswell

28. Suman Das on February 10, 2021 at 5:51 pm

I’m from India and I love water spinach

29. Jennelyn Manguiat on February 10, 2021 at 5:52 pm

You have kangkong, I suggest pls try to cook Philippines "SINIGANG"…love your videos!!!!

30. Jane Doe on February 10, 2021 at 5:54 pm

Nasturtium leaves the flowers save them for the bees.

31. Fermin Olivera on February 10, 2021 at 5:55 pm

Awsome videos. Custard apples are ready when the become smooth–the rough appearance goes away. The fruit will still be hard n ripen in two to three days. Fruit can be a bit soft on the tree and still be great. I enjoy your videos. Thanks.

32. Thumbalina Dee on February 10, 2021 at 5:55 pm

Yes alot of the Pacific Islanders grow this and taro 💚 have you tried growing taro mark? 😎

33. Hanle de Beer on February 10, 2021 at 5:55 pm

Egyptian onions are amazing. They also become more just by forming new bulbs at the bottom. I use them in stead of spring onions. PS – Love your videos: immediately to the point and focused.

34. Marika Red sailor on February 10, 2021 at 5:55 pm

Hi..one year later..🙄😁
    I’m Swedish and have moved to Dominican Republic 🙄😱
    IM HUNGRY!!😂 I want European or Chinese food in the tropics..This video will help .. Do you have more of this??

35. Jessie Dana on February 10, 2021 at 6:01 pm

I enjoy your lame jokes, they really make the videos funny! You remind me of burkes backyard crossed with Steve Irwin! Very enjoyable content!

36. Michael Pallini on February 10, 2021 at 6:01 pm

what about Mozzarella?

37. Iris Costner on February 10, 2021 at 6:02 pm

You always make me smile with gardening fun. Just as a heads up: #4 Egypt is actually part of Africa. The Pyramids are one of our most cherished gifts to the world. The Middle East is our neighbor.

38. Gordon L on February 10, 2021 at 6:05 pm

Love your videos, they inspire me to grow more veggies.

39. Priya Gautam on February 10, 2021 at 6:05 pm

Has anyone planted mustard greens in the summer before?

40. A BC on February 10, 2021 at 6:06 pm

Another great video mate! Really appreciate your hard work and excellent knowledge and information you put out, over here in London England 👍 Most of these I’m hoping I can grow here next spring (March/April) for us! Lol.. but I never even heard of some of those so really useful, hopefully be some more hardy veg to get me started while I get used to growing mate cheers!👍😎

41. Mark Thomas on February 10, 2021 at 6:07 pm

Thanks Mark excellent information

42. Poupee W on February 10, 2021 at 6:09 pm

you can be silly, but I like silly sometimes.

43. Yuliya Tregub on February 10, 2021 at 6:09 pm

Thank you for the video🥦🥬🥒🫑 I will try to plant sweet potato and spinach in my Dubai balcony🥬 It’s very very hot here 9 month per year☀️☀️☀️

44. Joe Gonzalez on February 10, 2021 at 6:09 pm

I need help. This is my first time growing Japanese eggplant. But I noticed within the same plant the normal purple eggplant fruits are growing, so is this yellow looking one too. Any idea why? Thanks in advance.

45. kayak man on February 10, 2021 at 6:10 pm

do you sell the shirts me and my girl friend want some

46. Benj231983 on February 10, 2021 at 6:10 pm

Sit at home among the palm trees, self sufficient me!!

47. Theresa McCune on February 10, 2021 at 6:13 pm

Do y’all have cicadas in Australia? I’m in Texas, and it sounds like them in the background.

48. Gayatri Sarkar on February 10, 2021 at 6:14 pm

Nice N making me knowledge of beautiful Position with Green singers of singing in love.

49. Isaac Willson on February 10, 2021 at 6:15 pm

Okinawa spinach loves the heat also. Do you sell seeds?

50. Lisa Viliamu on February 10, 2021 at 6:15 pm

Love your jokes as usual. Hilarious bro