Did You Know Potatoes Produce Poisonous Fruit?

The potato we all know it but how many of you can actually say you knew it produced a fruit? There are a few reasons why most people haven’t heard of this fruit, typically they don’t develop during the growing season. In the springtime potatoes will develop pink, lavender or white flowers but almost always these flowers will not get pollinated and fall off as the summer heat comes through. If the conditions are rainy and more mild through the beginning of summer this gives the flowers a chance to set fruit from the flowers.

Deliberate Thought” Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 4.0 License

#potato #fruit #rare

1. Anonymous _ on February 10, 2021 at 5:18 pm

I knew that because my grandpa is a farmer

2. Susan Tyler on February 10, 2021 at 5:18 pm

Interesting

3. Erica Encarnacion on February 10, 2021 at 5:19 pm

My potatoes have those fruits, now I will get rid of them since I do have small dogs. But is it okay to still harvest my potatoes? consuming them won’t be an issue when they are ready, correct? Thanks for the video.

4. Havana Woody on February 10, 2021 at 5:21 pm

I really hope you make an attempt to sprout the seeds, a new variety of potato would be awesome

5. Weednose360 on February 10, 2021 at 5:22 pm

Now I know why the poisonous potato is green in Minecraft.

6. MiraKuru on February 10, 2021 at 5:22 pm

I see purple potatoes at the end of this video. Yup. Very not suspicious to eat

7. mrunal mhatre on February 10, 2021 at 5:22 pm

Well we use patato leavs as a vegitable…

8. StormyStars on February 10, 2021 at 5:23 pm

Wow, Even I didn’t know potato’s grew a poisonous fruit or any kind of fruit. Yet my late Grandperé, when we were all children, were all called to huge crops of potato’s , beats, carrots, etc. We were dropped off at various points, given burlap bags, and we had to start filling them. We had to make sure we got every single one. Of course he’d already have everything kind of like tilled up. We would fill the burlap bags and leave them for the trucks driven by 2, of our uncles to inspect, close and put in the truck trailers. We would all work hard on the weekend he chose. It was always so hot lol. We had hats, gloves, and skins filled with water and a bit of lemon. We were all made to keep our skin covered as much as possible with light clothing. Every evening we’d have Barbecue’s with beef, pork, etc that they had just picked out for the weekend except a few of us had trout or pickerel, and of course BBQ corn, carrots, zucchini, onion, given soft drinks or juices, jello and marshmallows with sticks to roast before we all slept in a trailer of one of the trucks which were covered with tarps in cased it rained during the night. I think everyone of us loved those times. I know I miss those times. I’m not sure if the rest do. My Grandparents had such a huge ranch with pretty much everything. Even an Orchard. Those were good picking times too. At nights, the very musical family would play music, everyone had fun after a hot day of hard work, no alcohol was allowed so there were no grouchy adults with hangovers in the early mornings when we’d start all over again. End of the last day was both satisfactory and kind of sad we were done. It had made us all so close. Wasn’t just 1st cousins, but 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th. We all felt like 1st anyway living in the same area, most going to the same schools, etc. Maybe I saw the potato fruit and maybe one or both of our Grandparents or Aunts and Uncles picked them off. Yet I don’t recall ever seeing any in any of my gardens.
    But this was an excellent video. Thank you David. And you look happy and well. I love the new Earth Titan name. Blessings. Wishing we’d get a bit more rain and cooler weather here lol! 🇨🇦😊🌿🕊🌿😊🇨🇦

9. Mrs. Smith on February 10, 2021 at 5:24 pm

Whaaaaaat!!

10. Jonas on February 10, 2021 at 5:27 pm

wow you look so buff. your pecs though could suckle a child..;)

seriously I love your channel. got a big garden myself, better that than the boring lawn that was there before.

ps aren’t grafted trees neat? my lemon orange grapefruit tree is so lame (grapefruit branch mostly broke of during storm anyways). do an episode about that please

11. Antoni PriCa on February 10, 2021 at 5:28 pm

Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge!

12. Rareș Tudor on February 10, 2021 at 5:28 pm

I want to eat one

13. Zabina Kaulath on February 10, 2021 at 5:30 pm

It’s looking like tiny brinjal…
    Nice version…Viewer from India….

14. Laura Collins on February 10, 2021 at 5:30 pm

So potatoes are grown from poisonous fruit? That shouldn’t be consumed….

15. Stephanie Elaine on February 10, 2021 at 5:32 pm

I’m making potato fruit soup for my in-laws

16. JuliaKittyCatz on February 10, 2021 at 5:36 pm

1:36 one of the potato fruits fell off when he said "Grow"

17. Flavius Nita on February 10, 2021 at 5:38 pm

Everybody knows.

18. Crystal M on February 10, 2021 at 5:39 pm

I actually knew about the ‘don’t eat green potatoes’ toxicity, as well as potatoes that have sprouted as far as I know. I avoided both of these during my first pregnancy, along with all processed foods as well.

No caffeine, no medications (even through bronchitis), and a blood sugar level stable around 5.5 (if I remember correctly, it was over 20 years ago).

I remember in those first few months being able to hear a pop can open 80’ away in a separate room 😱. I kept this up however until I stopped breastfeeding around 18 months.

That child is now 23 and defending her Masters after completing a Double Major in just 4 years with a 4.0 average!
    She made the Dean’s list every year and graduated in the top 5 people at the University.

After a bidding war between Universities she choose the one she liked and they paid her to complete her Masters.
    Now the bidding has started for her Doctorate.

Lesson – it’s only 9 months (a year and a half if you can) out of your life to give someone the best start possible, it’s worth it to try.*

*how do I know? I have a second daughter, but circumstances were very different with me – both babies were always strong and constant. I was on bed rest for the 7 months after I found out I was pregnant. I got a massive viral infection in my ears that ended up with emergency dr.’s drilling holes (YES DRILLING, with an actual drill!!!) in my eardrums – NO painkillers NO freezing!!! 7 HOLES! There are no words for that pain.

I lost hearing, had surgery and was in hospital for a month on IV antibiotics and painkillers.

Both of my children are amazing and beautiful, but there are stark differences h my organic baby and my ‘yes, I will have leftover cheesecake for breakfast’ baby.

Not all relevant to fruit and vegetables, but the ‘green potatoes’ reminded me.

19. ndtbabe taylor on February 10, 2021 at 5:40 pm

I’m 55 yrs old, born & raised in the country, my dad is 95 & has always had a garden, this is the 1st yr he didn’t plant potatoes & I’ve NEVER seen flowers on potato plants… those must be a certain kind of potato 🤔! But that is very interesting!!!

20. Dr MAK on February 10, 2021 at 5:40 pm

Quite informative.

21. Ate V from Vivian C on February 10, 2021 at 5:40 pm

Wow beautiful garden, I like garden, new friend here stay connected.

22. SouthSwedishHighland on February 10, 2021 at 5:43 pm

Oxbow farm shows that tps(true potato seeds)will, if everything is right, produce upto a few pounds of potato first year!

23. internetguy on February 10, 2021 at 5:44 pm

good amounts of Solanine will cause you headaches, stomachaches and powerful diarrhea in short it will give you the stomach flu minus the vomiting

24. Nola Coolsim on February 10, 2021 at 5:44 pm

Great video

25. Rebecca Bullock on February 10, 2021 at 5:45 pm

I thought potatoes grew underground?

26. William Latinette on February 10, 2021 at 5:45 pm

IDK how, with over 35K views, you get only 500 Likes! Ridiculous- your videos are great and I enjoy every one!
    Please continue to impress and inform us with your gardening experiments… and also consider getting Patreon setup, I’d be glad to support these entertaining and educational videos!

27. Roy Mohsin on February 10, 2021 at 5:46 pm

Hannnn… Potato fruit recipe for my Math teacher.
    Good idea.

28. James Jones on February 10, 2021 at 5:48 pm

Great information, I’ve never seen mine get pollinated to ever check, thanks for sharing this knowledge

29. JUST*PASSING* THRU on February 10, 2021 at 5:49 pm

We call those root looking things that grow out of potatoes eyes……eye don’t know why.🤔😁

30. Aaron Sacluti on February 10, 2021 at 5:49 pm

Hi i just wanna know, is the fruit of the fruit of Ixora coccinea (scientific name: Ixora coccinea) flower edible?

31. mss227 rose on February 10, 2021 at 5:51 pm

Wow! You learn something new every day!! This is the first for me. Thanks for the info!

32. ceuceu ellie on February 10, 2021 at 5:54 pm

black nightshade berries, West Java people (Indonesia) very like that

33. Missty Kotha on February 10, 2021 at 5:55 pm

Nice 💖💖💖👏👏👏🍀🍀🍀🤝

34. Mellorock Ò_Ó on February 10, 2021 at 5:56 pm

Fruit?

35. PROSTO MARFA on February 10, 2021 at 5:58 pm

Привет

36. Marvijane Amor on February 10, 2021 at 5:59 pm

Last year my potatoes grew little berry-looking fruits from purplish flowers… I was confused because they never did that the years before, but I guess it makes sense. Great video here!

37. Bhargab Acharja on February 10, 2021 at 5:59 pm

it can be used as seed

38. tushar potdar on February 10, 2021 at 5:59 pm

Very good video I really want to see them cut in half and you showed it thanks

39. Steven Davis on February 10, 2021 at 6:00 pm

Not really a secret, but nice video.

40. cammie mcclure on February 10, 2021 at 6:00 pm

I really like your new name. Great choice. I am actually floored, I have never heard that potatoes have fruit. How interesting. I love your channel, so many interesting facts. I was going to suggest Titan True Facts for your new name, but I never did. You may have liked it.

41. Qucuraba Larahababa on February 10, 2021 at 6:04 pm

Amazing….info ….never even tot that is possible….patato tree with flowers and fruit….how abt that😱

42. DANG JOS on February 10, 2021 at 6:04 pm

That’s weird, because it means there are probably thousands of potatoes that are literally just clones of each other. No genetic variety.

43. John Colley on February 10, 2021 at 6:07 pm

nothing new i thought everyone knew that

44. ShailyPunkajj Dhawan on February 10, 2021 at 6:08 pm

Omg i didnt know that .😱 Thanks for providing such a valuable information 😀

45. Harry Thacker on February 10, 2021 at 6:09 pm

I was surprised to learn that potatoes grow fruits. Thanks for the information.

46. HVideos on February 10, 2021 at 6:12 pm

I remember as a kid we grew potatoes, and I ate one of the fruits out of curiosity, thinking they were edible. It tasted like a raw cherry tomato. Nothing happened to me thankfully, but I soon discovered after that they were poisonous 😱.

47. nyuu Paradise on February 10, 2021 at 6:13 pm

Yes I know at the way make a lot new potato varieties

48. Yonata Kimochi on February 10, 2021 at 6:14 pm

mirip buah pokak/takokak di tempatku

49. burnedbysound on February 10, 2021 at 6:16 pm

consider me learnt!

50. Iam my Forehead on February 10, 2021 at 6:16 pm

You are cute😭
    Well there is no instagram page of your channel tho. why?