Planting Herbs in Containers: Oregano, Chives, Thyme, Mints, Basil, Sage, Rosemary, Lavender

Please Visit The Rusted Garden Seed & Garden Shop:: https://www.therustedgarden.com/

The basics for getting transplant herbs into your containers. It is a great way to get started with container gardening. I talk about fertilizing setup, perennial vs annual, frequency of water soluble feedings and basic planting.

Please Help Support My Channel: The Rusted Garden – Thanks!

Please Visit The Rusted Garden Seed & Garden Shop: https://www.therustedgarden.com/

Here is The Rusted Garden Link to Amazon for Seed Starting & Gardening Supplies
http://amzn.to/2FgufvF Thanks for using my link. It helps fund my garden videos!

Subscribe to My YouTube Channel (800 Garden Videos) – The Rusted Garden: https://www.youtube.com/user/pilarchik

Follow me on Instagram for Harvest Pictures, Updates and Monthly Give-Aways: https://www.instagram.com/therustedgarden/

Visit My Original Blog The Rusted Vegetable Garden: http://www.therustedgarden.blogspot.com

Contact Me at therustedgarden@gmail.com

1. Erieka Dangeau on February 10, 2021 at 5:16 pm

How often do you water?

2. Lolly Schwartz on February 10, 2021 at 5:17 pm

Great job. Sad about basil. Love that herb

3. Cheryl Alvino on February 10, 2021 at 5:18 pm

Yes, I agree you move along quickly and get to the point, will be watching all your videos, loved the herb video

4. my home rumahku on February 10, 2021 at 5:20 pm

5. jaycee157 on February 10, 2021 at 5:22 pm

As usually your videos are intereting. What’s th size of contaners the clay co!ored and the white

6. Groovy plant addict on February 10, 2021 at 5:22 pm

Omg just subbed. Like the video. Def going to be watching your channel ! I recently am doing plants in my YouTube

7. jessica nelson on February 10, 2021 at 5:25 pm

Hi I am new with herbs.. I planted about April .. It’s August. When should I harvest.? Do I do it during that time? Could I pick earlier?

8. June Clarke on February 10, 2021 at 5:27 pm

Hi Gary. I have been trying to grow sage and every time i try they die. I know they don’t like too much water. Where is the best place to keep them in the container. I had mine under a shade cloth then rains started.

9. Leyna Abbey on February 10, 2021 at 5:27 pm

You’re from Maryland?

10. Richard Williams on February 10, 2021 at 5:28 pm

I put my sage in poring soil mix with a little regular soil and it s not doing so good first time growing sage

11. Gary Pilarchik (The Rusted Garden) on February 10, 2021 at 5:29 pm

Seed Starting Supplies: http://amzn.to/2GrGaZ7 Please Support The Rusted Garden:
    Garden Fertilizers: http://amzn.to/2DIQDRY By using these Amazon links, any Amazon purchase
    Garden Disease & Pest Control: http://amzn.to/2Fqvl8e you make returns a % of sales back to TRG.
    Grow Lights:http://amzn.to/2GudeiO I turn most of that back into the garden and videos.
    Amazon General Search Page: http://amzn.to/2DZBzyZ THANKS! Greatly Appreciated – Gary (TRG)

I have Neem Oil, Peppermint Oil, Sprayers, Seeds and so much more at my shop…Please check out my Seed & Garden Shop for your gardening needs at http://www.therustedgarden.com

12. Tsunshine Gal on February 10, 2021 at 5:31 pm

Wow 🤩 lovely array 😊 of herbs 🌿 awesome 👏

13. B M on February 10, 2021 at 5:33 pm

All your videos are so rewatchable.

14. Douglas Crespo on February 10, 2021 at 5:33 pm

Medicine

15. Isha Locke on February 10, 2021 at 5:34 pm

I love chocolate mint and lemon basil – how did your hot basil turn out?

16. Jen Llavore on February 10, 2021 at 5:34 pm

New sub here 😊😊

17. benj amin tim othy on February 10, 2021 at 5:34 pm

What’s the fertilizer did you use?.. please answer this comment

18. Cindy on February 10, 2021 at 5:34 pm

I live on the beach in Daytona. Suggestions for containers of herbs. Can they be outdoors? Which herbs are Salt and heat tolerant? Or do they all have to be indoors?

19. whosedoingwhat on February 10, 2021 at 5:35 pm

I have planted Lavender 2X w/o luck. It’s a sloped garden in front of the Lanai. Fl, full E. sun till about 1:00. The soil is a garden soil + mulch and drk brn bark topper. It does not get over wtrd, but dies out. Maybe with slope it’s running off & drying out too fast, but the Rosemary in same area is thriving. Any suggestions?

20. A Campos on February 10, 2021 at 5:38 pm

What kind of pots are those they are so nice!?

21. Love always Jasmine on February 10, 2021 at 5:40 pm

I’m in zone 7a and I bought potted cilantro, rosemary, mint and basil from the grocery store. I repotted them and have them indoors. Can I put them outdoors?

22. Acorn on February 10, 2021 at 5:42 pm

I can’t even grow mint in containers. Many people consider mint as sort of weed. I bought potting mix bad but my mint plant died after few months. Now I bought a new plant and it was fine until I add Miracle grow (liquid) 1 tbsp/gallon and I fed like half a gallon. Plant is now turning black. Too much fertilizer?

23. MexicanaMeg on February 10, 2021 at 5:42 pm

For rosemary sage and lavender do I need to water daily and how much water? The whole pot or just the plant area? 1st time grower please help.

24. Rose Rizzo on February 10, 2021 at 5:45 pm

Nice video. I usually do cuttings of the mint and put in water glass and I see roots growing:)

25. vBDKv on February 10, 2021 at 5:45 pm

I almost make love to my basil. Indoor 🙂

26. Andrea Orozco on February 10, 2021 at 5:45 pm

My herbs got thrips? How do I get rid of these pests? 🥺

27. Dulce Ramos on February 10, 2021 at 5:47 pm

Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us. I’m a first timer. It’s great to gather insight from people with experience.

28. annu nakki on February 10, 2021 at 5:47 pm

Great video.

29. Jina Lobingco on February 10, 2021 at 5:48 pm

Great video! Informative ! I just started planting veggies and flowers & it’s so fun indeed😀

30. BasicRoots on February 10, 2021 at 5:49 pm

What type of sage is that?

31. Skating Canuck on February 10, 2021 at 5:50 pm

Could you please do a video on how to regrow herbs from cutting? Also could you do one on cilantro please? I bought a seedling that did not transplant well, and I can’t see to grow it from seed either.

32. Bora Corba on February 10, 2021 at 5:50 pm

Cheers for this, I’ve been looking for "starting a garden from scratch organic" for a while now, and I think this has helped. Have you heard people talk about – Nonannah Hanulian Future – (just google it ) ? Ive heard some extraordinary things about it and my mate got cool success with it.

33. Xo Xo on February 10, 2021 at 5:50 pm

Never knew there’s different type of mints. Looks like I got chocolate mints and spearmint in my garden.

34. AwoudeX on February 10, 2021 at 5:52 pm

First and foremost you should explain why you’d be wanting to bother with containers in the first place. Things like not having an actual garden for example, but to be grown indoors or on some balcony. If you do have a garden, i’d recommend that this video is NOT for you. Why bother with buying fertilizers when you can use some self made compost or if you’re lucky to have a source of manure, preferably from cows or horses, let that rest for 1 season before you apply it as fresh manure can harm plants.

Another good reason to plant inside containers if the plant in question spreads itself like mad via a vast root system. Raspberries are one prime example, but mint can spread like wildfire too.

If you can give more reasons for using containers, that’s fine, but begin with that so people can asses if this video is suited to their situation.

35. Ramam Naidoo on February 10, 2021 at 5:53 pm

Do you use ordinary plastic pots or food grade pots

36. Bittersweet Symphony on February 10, 2021 at 5:53 pm

Good video

37. Dancing Calico on February 10, 2021 at 5:54 pm

Here in north Georgia, my mint never completely dies. We pick it all year even when the temperature dips into the teens.

38. kamal bhambhani on February 10, 2021 at 5:55 pm

It is lovely growing ❤️ plants in qurantine

39. Kostina Trnava on February 10, 2021 at 5:55 pm

Winner of a video, I’ve been looking for "best soil mix for flower beds" for a while now, and I think this has helped. Have you heard people talk about – Fonillian Uncomplex Future – (do a search on google )?

It is a great exclusive product for growing up to 10 times more produce using aquaponics without the hard work. Ive heard some extraordinary things about it and my cousin got cool success with it.

40. Philomena Howe on February 10, 2021 at 6:01 pm

fab clear video thank u for sharing your helpful tips!

41. Katrina Catral on February 10, 2021 at 6:03 pm

Can thyme and rosemary "die" bec of too much sun/heat? Say 80 degrees? Or is it most likely because of too much water? And what can I do about this? Each day that I check up on them, it looks like they’re just slowly dying.

42. Fᴇᴜᴇʀʙʟᴜᴛ [RAGEMODE] on February 10, 2021 at 6:09 pm

Beware that not all herbs harmonize with one another.
    Good neighbors are:
    ✅ Dill, cress, marjoram, parsley, borage, chervil
    ✅ Thyme, chive, salvia, tarragon, lemon balm
    ✅ Salvia, oregano, savory
    ✅ Basil, rosemary
    ✅ salvia, rosemary

Never plant together or in too close proximity (they effect one another
    negatively):
    ❌marjoram, thyme
    ❌coriander, fennel
    ❌lemon balm, basil
    ❌ mint, basil
    ❌ mint, chamomille

General tips:
    ◼ salvia and lavender should stay solitary since they need much space. Lavender is the perfect neighbor for roses, though
    ◼ pair annual herbs with other annuals and vice versa with perennial herbs
    ◼ pair plants with similar needs, for example a mediterran patch with moderate water supply and up to 50% quartz/silica sand mixed in for mediterran herbs (thyme, savory, rosemary, curry plant, bay, marjoram, salvia, oregano, lavender, Santolina viridis, wormwood); all these mediterranian plants need a windless, sun-exposed spot and moderate fertilization (every 8-12 weeks)
    ◼ thyme needs a new place every 2-3 years for optimal growth (can become self-inhibitory)
    ◼ Basil, parsley, Shiso, mints, lemon balm, vietnamese coriander (Persicaria odorata), lemon grass, Allium species (incl. chive) need good fertilization (every 4-6 weeks)
    Happy growth everyone! 🍀

43. Cheryl Hale on February 10, 2021 at 6:11 pm

I find all the mints are very easy to grow from cuttings

44. jaycee157 on February 10, 2021 at 6:11 pm

Thanks for responding. Perhaps you can help me with my sage plant. bought one from the nursery and within days it began to dry up. I know sage does not like a lot of watering . It was under a shade cloth so dont know what happened and we had rains one day and I took it inside the house so it would not be soaked. Incidentally I only do container growing as I dont have the space otherwise. PLEASE HELP. I HATE when my plants die

45. Sharell Jarvis on February 10, 2021 at 6:12 pm

Hey, I’m in DC. Where do you find your chocolate mint?

46. Dandelion on February 10, 2021 at 6:12 pm

Please be gentle to your plants 😅

47. Augusta Ugoh on February 10, 2021 at 6:13 pm

Good work brother, are the plastic perforated at the bottom?

48. DeVera Jackson-Garber on February 10, 2021 at 6:13 pm

Super helpful video. Thank you!

49. milling37 on February 10, 2021 at 6:13 pm

Great video..I don’t have a green thumb but gonna try to grow some herbs👍😊

50. Hazel in the Woods on February 10, 2021 at 6:14 pm

Great video!! Love all the plants on your deck…I’ve had to replant so many seeds this year bc of a pesky raccoon in the neighborhood. But it never stops me from redoing my work. I really want to try some potatoes in buckets next year.