THE ORIGINAL Stock Tank Pool DIY

Check out our blog for more details about this DIY!
(http://www.heywandererblog.com/2017/06/diy-stock-tank-pool-everything-you-need.html)
Instagram- http://www.instagram.com/heywanderer
E-mail- heywanderer@gmail.com

MORE STOCK TANK POOL INFO HERE: www.stocktankpoolauthority.com

STOCK TANK POOL SUPPLIES
– Stock tank https://amzn.to/2tlkEiR or get a metal one at your local co-op
– Above Ground Pool Pump https://amzn.to/2H5pUwP
– Weatherproof Silicone Sealant https://amzn.to/2JQSNP9
– Hole Saw with Arbor https://amzn.to/2Xrpc8A
– Plunger Valves https://amzn.to/2IYjdwU
– Second Pool Outlet https://www.intexcorp.com/11235.html
(This outlet is out of stock, so these two pieces will work in it’s place: https://bit.ly/2InHNK7 (You’ll have to close off the hole with waterproof tape, as that part is out of stock) + https://amzn.to/2FvVO6F OR you can purchase THIS SET (https://amzn.to/2IHj8jR) and use only the parts you need from it.)
 – 1-3 Rubber Washers (or Gaskets) https://amzn.to/2WNk6PA
– Strainer Nut http://www.intexcorp.com/10256.html
– Chlorine Tablets https://amzn.to/2qAIFlr
– Floating Pool Dispenser https://amzn.to/2H6EbsP
– Water Testing Kit https://amzn.to/2Hs36uw

Step 1- Find a nice level area to lay the stock tank on. If the area where you have chosen isn’t level, use sand or rocks to build up whatever side needs it. It is very important that your stock tank be level so there aren’t any unexpected leaks.
Step 2- Cut holes in your stock tank. I’m not going to lie- this is a pain in the butt. We bought a hole saw with an arbor and it took two people to get through the metal. You will need two holes, one at the top and one at the bottom. In an above ground pool, these aren’t usually right on top of each other, but ours are. We haven’t ever seen this as a problem.
Step 3- Start assembling the parts. In the pool pump package there is a packet with instructions, warnings and troubleshooting. This packet proved to be vital in the setup of the pool. I did end up getting 2 gaskets for the bottom section (the drain section), one for the inside of the pool and one for the outside. It only says you need one for the inside, but this was causing a drip for us. I also put thread seal tape around the connections that were closest to the pool. There are a lot of connections, and each one has a gasket, so you could probably get away without the tape. I didn’t put it on all the connections, the only ones that really seemed to matter were the ones that are connecting the hoses to the pool.
Step 4- Apply silicone waterproof sealant around all crevices involving the input and output parts. I did this on the inside of the pool and the outside. And I applied it VERY HEAVILY and did two layers, allowing one to dry before the second was applied. Sealing these crevices is one of the most important parts. This is what is going to keep the water in the pool. Well all of these steps are leading up to keeping water in the pool, but if there is any chance that it’s going to be getting out, this is what will save you.
Step 5- Test for leaks. Before I added water to the pool, I took a water bottle and poured a good amount of water on the input and output parts. You could also just use a water hose. I would make sure the hose wasn’t on full blast. You don’t want to accidentally penetrate the sealant.
Step 6- Once you are sure there aren’t any leaks, fill the pool just above the bottom hole/output. Check again to see if any leaks have started. If there aren’t any, fill the rest of the pool up!
Step 7- Turn the pump on. Make sure both plunger valves are open/unlocked. When you first do this water may not come out of the output, but there is a solution! Twist off the knob on top of the filter pump to let some air out. Some water may escape too and that’s okay, just be ready to screw it back on as soon as the water starts coming out.

1. Chase The Horizon on February 10, 2021 at 5:20 pm

Don’t stock tanks rust ?

2. Banjo's Channel on February 10, 2021 at 5:20 pm

Why did she put the intakes over top of the other one? Instead of 2 or three feet away from each other?

3. Jegny Holwijn on February 10, 2021 at 5:20 pm

Life saver my friend! Good details. Definitely going to give it a try.

4. April Slusher on February 10, 2021 at 5:22 pm

What size stock tank is that?

5. Britni Green on February 10, 2021 at 5:22 pm

Will a 2 1/2” hole saw work?

6. Chelsea Stancil on February 10, 2021 at 5:24 pm

Hi, is this super heavy to move around? How did you get it to your house? I plan to do this this summer. Thank you

7. Krystal Snyder on February 10, 2021 at 5:25 pm

Do you know if you have to use the air valve jet? We have a rubbermaid
    stock tank and its much thicker than aluminum. So the air valve jet
    doesn’t fit.

8. Robin Withrow on February 10, 2021 at 5:26 pm

Do you put water into the tall tower of the pump before turning the pump on? I have trouble understanding how to get the pump to pump. It just sits there making noise. I need way more step-by-step clarification as to how to get this pump hooked up and pumping. I finally saw that the tall tower part of the pump is hooked up to the output. Help!!!!

9. carol hankins on February 10, 2021 at 5:28 pm

We had one of those growing up that we used for a pool way back when. Much better then a plastic pool and last for yrs

10. Lonice Manda on February 10, 2021 at 5:29 pm

What if your background is a very dirty but you need the pool without
    expensive things

11. Danny Garcia on February 10, 2021 at 5:31 pm

I heard you can get cancer from the sun???

12. nezih varisligil on February 10, 2021 at 5:32 pm

cool setup!
    If you ever feel like that filter is not good enough, I would highly suggest you to get a "sand filter". You dont have to change filters since it has sand instead of a filter so you will save money and it will clean so much better!

Enjoy!

13. Gladys Rivera on February 10, 2021 at 5:32 pm

Hello I love the video but the link you port it does not take me straight to the stock tank you have

Can you please. Send me the link

14. Abbey Osborn on February 10, 2021 at 5:33 pm

Can I have the link to where you got the filter please

15. Sugar Xyler the blue eyed Cherokee on February 10, 2021 at 5:33 pm

💦💦 Never heard of this. Anything is better than inflatable

16. Bonnie Akridge on February 10, 2021 at 5:36 pm

Just started noticing all kinds of stories on these. We have a huge in ground pool at our house that I am the only one who uses anymore and it’s a lot of work for me to keep up with. This here is as sweet as can be and am really considering this.

17. BD on February 10, 2021 at 5:36 pm

Just pool blast

18. Rey Perez on February 10, 2021 at 5:38 pm

I’ve received a flood of questions lately about painting stock tanks, especially whether the inside needs to be sealed or painted. The short answer is “no!” I’m a recovering house painter, and the number one rule we lived by is to NEVER paint galvanized metal. Ever. EVER.
    The most common (and valid) question is whether stock tanks can hold up to chlorine or salt (if using the ECO salt system from Intex). The short answer is yes they can. While stock tanks aren’t completely immune to rust, the galvanized zinc coating is meant to resist wear and tear, and, so long as the coating hasn’t been compromised (gouged or scratched) a small amount of chlorine should not hurt it. That said, go easy on the chlorine (no more than 1-2 tablets per week). I’m going on 2 seasons of chlorine use and haven’t noticed any rust whatsoever. Stock tanks routinely last for 20+ years on farms, where they’re subject to abuse by livestock, tractors, and harsh elements.

19. Michael Barnett on February 10, 2021 at 5:41 pm

Is the stock tank galvanized? If so does chlorine react to that at all? Absolutely awesome setup!!! Just wondering

20. Mary Daley on February 10, 2021 at 5:43 pm

We appreciate your honest / reality approach…clean & safe…thanks

21. Debbie Fullbright on February 10, 2021 at 5:43 pm

How did you haul it ?

22. Cadence on February 10, 2021 at 5:44 pm

I stayed with my grandparents this summer and we asked for a pool and we got one of these

23. DesertDreams on February 10, 2021 at 5:44 pm

From someone who has had pools for 40 years, I can tell you that filter is junk!

24. Bryan Roupe on February 10, 2021 at 5:46 pm

I made one a few years ago. I put mine up on 8 blocks and put a propane heater under it and used it as a hot tub also. Now it’s cheaper to go buy a pool for $100 that comes with a pump.

25. Adam Luera on February 10, 2021 at 5:53 pm

My dogs love their new stock tank pool,great video thanks

26. runin1wild on February 10, 2021 at 5:54 pm

I would like to know total cost you spent of this ?

27. Max Wolfe on February 10, 2021 at 5:54 pm

No hot water?

28. James Frazier on February 10, 2021 at 5:55 pm

☹️😃

29. Lyndi Lowe on February 10, 2021 at 5:56 pm

Love your videos! Just wondering if you remember, approximately how many cans of the rubber flex you used to coat the inside?

30. Rock Lee on February 10, 2021 at 5:57 pm

Very helpful thankyou

31. Steve Thompson on February 10, 2021 at 6:00 pm

Snowflake alert.

32. Jose Del Valle on February 10, 2021 at 6:01 pm

Also, where can I buy the stock tank pool?

33. Michael Palin on February 10, 2021 at 6:03 pm

Can we get some links to the pool supplies and the pump. Be nice if I could get it all on Amazon. We have a TSC not too far from us.

34. Debra Blalock on February 10, 2021 at 6:03 pm

Where did you buy your Stock Tank Pool from

35. Piet Velkens on February 10, 2021 at 6:03 pm

I heard you get cancer from the oil that drips in the water out of stock tanks.

36. Julie Davis-Dow on February 10, 2021 at 6:04 pm

HELP 🙀 I Love you guys and thank you so much for this tutorial. Unfortunately mine has rusted through the paint and I’m having to remove all of the paint with a pressure washer. I followed all of your instructions very carefully and I’m not sure where I went wrong? I heard somewhere that you were supposed to cure the galvanized steel with vinegar. It started rusting in small areas so I thought I will drain it in the winter and fix it with paint but it started getting worse and now I’m having to remove everything. Fortunately I have a pressure washer and a really good shop vac and sander for the rest of the paint. I’m wondering if I should paint it again or try it without? Any thoughts on where I went wrong?

37. G F on February 10, 2021 at 6:05 pm

Video starts at 2:40

38. Sadye Snaps on February 10, 2021 at 6:05 pm

I am so pissed…INTEX is out of the outlet until "they don’t know when" to attach to the pump! Any suggestions of an alternative or compatible companies that I could use their outlet? I have everything I need except for this for my husband’s 40th birthday next weekend and now I’m SOL

39. sandra harbison on February 10, 2021 at 6:09 pm

i would want the fittings to not be so high up. mid way in case you lose water

40. BLZK808 on February 10, 2021 at 6:09 pm

Talk to much.

41. Isabella on February 10, 2021 at 6:10 pm

Cabe you use it as a saltwater pool?

42. Eric Chapman on February 10, 2021 at 6:10 pm

I got an 8ft wide stock tank for 250$ from local farmers mill

43. Austin Artist on February 10, 2021 at 6:10 pm

Hey ~ when you say “link below” where is that at:D. I just purchased a stock tank and am considering doing flex seal (but then i saw a YOU TUBE suggested not to do that). I am still trying to figure out what i am going to do…even tho my stock tank is new as of a week ago…i put one fill up and now emptying to consider that system you have constructed….filter:)

44. Nicks Daddy on February 10, 2021 at 6:10 pm

I put indoor outdoor carpet on the bottom of mine, and painted the outside

45. Donald Dotson on February 10, 2021 at 6:11 pm

46. Diana Branson on February 10, 2021 at 6:12 pm

You also need to coat the bottom of it or the bottom of your feet will be rubbed raw.

47. Stevie Leeson on February 10, 2021 at 6:13 pm

Do you think 8ft. Wide would be to big?

48. Astrid Gonzalez on February 10, 2021 at 6:13 pm

Your video was soooooo helpful! After seeing all the other videos of painting the inside I went ahead and bought a 1000 gallon plastic 9ft stock tank with a sand filter. It’s been going strong for a year and since it’s blue already the water looks amazing! Thanks for all the tips!

49. Pamela Partridge on February 10, 2021 at 6:13 pm

hi…awesome!!! can you tell us what pump you are using please?

50. Jose Del Valle on February 10, 2021 at 6:16 pm

Where can I buy the filtration system for the stock pool?