Using a Heat Mat To Start Seedlings Indoors

Using a Heat Mat To Start Seedlings Indoors
Do you really need a heat mat to start your own seedlings indoors? In today’s Friday Gardening tip I teach you what heating mats are and why I think you ought to buy one to help you grow your own seedlings.

In the video, I talk about my 2 seed starting videos. Here are the links:

First my Free Seed Starting Basics Course:

And here’s a link to my 3 hours Seed Starting Master Course:

Would you like more of Our Stoney Acres?

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ourstoneyacres/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/OurStoneyAcres/
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/stoneyacres/
More great gardening tips on our website: https://ourstoneyacres.com/

1. Cookies94 on February 17, 2021 at 9:11 pm

How hot does it get? Will it burn my table? Its a wood table

2. Donna Steward on February 17, 2021 at 9:12 pm

Where have you seen a single size heat mat for $12.00-$15.00?

3. Josie Brotherton on February 17, 2021 at 9:28 pm

Y

4. Gretchen Buie on February 17, 2021 at 9:28 pm

The room I start my seeds in is pretty cool (55 – 60 degrees). Is it still ok to remove heat mat after germination?

5. KenjiWatanabe1 on February 17, 2021 at 9:32 pm

I always wondered whether it’s ok to put the pots directly on the mat or you HAVE to use a "buffer" so to speak between pot and mat with a tray of some sort.
    Do you have any info on that?

6. Mr Rivas on February 17, 2021 at 9:35 pm

We’re can I place my heat mat can I place it on top of my rack

7. Rory Siwik on February 17, 2021 at 9:40 pm

From mid February to late may… I know this is odd.. a non running car, with good windows can serve as quite the greenhouse. When the overnight temps are in the low 40s or above.. You can use that clunker as a hot house.. If budgets allow, buy a tote, or even a shoe box and keep your trays/pots watered enough so they don’t dry out.. Growing up with little money didn’t mean I had a reason to lack imagination… Good luck.

8. ZukiGrL1 on February 17, 2021 at 9:42 pm

~ What name brand do you recommend?? Thank you…..

9. BrainStormAcres on February 17, 2021 at 9:42 pm

Great video. The inexpensive heat mats work well, but they can bake your seedlings. We’ve used heat mats for many years with good results, but we’ve had some seedlings killed when we were out for a day and temperatures in the room went much higher than expected. We still don’t have thermostatically controlled mats. We’re just careful to turn off the mats when we’re going to have a lot of solar gain. When buying a mat, you need to be careful that the mat does not require a separate temperature controller. Have a great day!

10. Rebekah K on February 17, 2021 at 9:43 pm

I got one because I’d heard peppers would have much better germination rates with it inside. Haven’t actually used it yet, but hopefully this year will get to.

11. Ellen Robison on February 17, 2021 at 9:43 pm

Hi, I live in Northern MI. I start my seeds in a Sunroom and it gets nice and warm in there during the day, however it is still getting into the 30’s and 40’s at night here. I wonder if I could just use the heat mat at night and shut it off during the day. Also, ever hear of these burning a place down. I would hat to have that happen when my mom and I are sleeping!

12. Gavin B. on February 17, 2021 at 9:48 pm

I bought an inexpensive thermostat ($27) which I’ve plugged my heat mat ($12.78, 25 x 50cm) into to test for the first time today, and that seems to work great at regulating the temperature. Previously I’ve just relied on a sunny windowsill, but the low prices make these things far more affordable.

13. Deborah Tofflemire on February 17, 2021 at 9:50 pm

Thank you from Canada.

14. Gail Greenberg on February 17, 2021 at 9:51 pm

Thank you so much! If I understand, once the seeds have germinated, the heat mat isn’t necessary if the seedlings are in the house?

15. Mastmola mm on February 17, 2021 at 9:52 pm

What degree of heat from bottom tray is required for seedling growth

16. V. V. on February 17, 2021 at 9:55 pm

So can I keep this on the floor on a cardboard to insulate it or is this just asking for trouble ?

17. Ana Madrid on February 17, 2021 at 9:56 pm

I was wondering if I could use an aluminum tray pan on top of the mat?