10 Things I Wish I’d Known Before Starting a New Vegetable Garden

💛 📖 Pre-order the GrowVeg book here: https://www.growveg.com/growveg-the-beginners-guide-to-easy-gardening.aspx. Order before March 2, 2021 and you can register to receive a free bonus chapter!
Growing a garden is equal parts challenging, rewarding, mystifying and uplifting. There’s a lot to learn, but we’re here to help.

Don’t make the same mistakes we did!

In this short video we’ll share our top 10 tips to help you grow a successful garden.

If you love growing your own food, why not take a look at our online Garden Planner which is available from several major websites and seed suppliers:
and many more…

To receive more gardening videos subscribe to our channel here: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=GrowVeg

If you’ve noticed any pests or beneficial insects in your garden lately please report them to us at http://BigBugHunt.com

1. Debbie Thompson on February 23, 2021 at 9:54 pm

How often should you compost?

2. adam on February 23, 2021 at 9:56 pm

This is my first year growing fruit/veg and so far its going good. I have a large raised bed outside with carrots/3 strawberry plants/pea plants and spinach all growing great and my strawberries are nearly ready to be picked.

I also have 20 tomato seedlings 35 cayenne pepper seedlings and 30 spring onion seedlings all grown nice ready to be planted in another raised bed.

I also have a ghost chilli pepper plant in my spare room window that has a 10cm ish chilli growing.

3. Guyla Mullins on February 23, 2021 at 9:56 pm

Don’t buy plants from Walmart or Michigan Bulb and Seed. Privet hedge turned out to be Siberian elm and beefsteak tomatoes cherry tomatoes.

4. My Northern Garden on February 23, 2021 at 10:01 pm
  5. Hayden Lloyd on February 23, 2021 at 10:02 pm

Did you mention bug control? They’re a big deal.

6. Marilia Dalabeneta on February 23, 2021 at 10:03 pm

Omg. He seems extremely friendly. Just subscribed because you seem really nice and super happy.
    I’m on waiting list for an allotment. I’m really looking forward it.

7. fox on February 23, 2021 at 10:05 pm

Those of us with gardens are going to need to grow vegetables this year, as the powers behind the "pandemic" hoax are planning food shortages in 2021 (c.f. U.N. Agenda 21).

8. Giuseppe Valentino on February 23, 2021 at 10:06 pm

My tip is grow as much as you can on in as little space as possible as you will have loss of food due to birds and pests.
    If you start off small you have less to lose and will probably end up with nothing and you will probably not do it next year as you think it is a waste of time

9. Marx B on February 23, 2021 at 10:10 pm

Buy good quality tools. Spades and forks with steel shafts. Will save a lot of disappointment.

10. Rod Mitchell on February 23, 2021 at 10:10 pm

My tip is to spend plenty of time getting rid of perennial weeds before starting your crops.

11. Neal Grey on February 23, 2021 at 10:10 pm

When I was an apprentice gardener, my boss started his 4th of July tomatoes February 20. Of course, as time goes by the tomatoes have to be transplanted to larger and larger pots. After they flower, each day just before lunch, I gave each tomato plant a good shake. This is so the self-pollinating plants will self-pollinate. Yes we had 4th of July tomatoes, but those poor plants were ‘spent’!

12. dj Royal Tee on February 23, 2021 at 10:12 pm

@1:23 Add manure…then 30 seconds later…. Hey I think i’ll cultivate with no gloves… 😲😨😳 lol..

13. Teds World on February 23, 2021 at 10:12 pm

If youre trying to do organic get some chickens in your veg garden to eat all the caterpillars that will surely arrive!

14. RL Crandelli on February 23, 2021 at 10:12 pm

what is the app you used?

15. Der Saa on February 23, 2021 at 10:12 pm

Tip #11:
    Don’t pour lots of water over the leaves of you tomato plants while watering it…
    3:13

16. PJ`s Vlogg on February 23, 2021 at 10:12 pm

your ugly!

17. Unkesernec 666 on February 23, 2021 at 10:15 pm

As long as Deer birds and my dogs don’t kill it I think I’ll be ok

18. Royalty Productions on February 23, 2021 at 10:16 pm

Gematria Search- Yeshua Jerome J Stafford. The Son Of God Is Here. https://youtu.be/ZH5M0p4QxEw Message ♥️

19. Lily on February 23, 2021 at 10:16 pm

I really appreciate videos like this! I am a completely new gardener. I tried last year and failed miserably lol. This year I am going to try again!

20. Smashed Candle on February 23, 2021 at 10:17 pm

I just started off my radishes! Good luck with your crop everyone!

21. Laura D on February 23, 2021 at 10:18 pm

Does the garder planning work on android phones? I would be very interested if it did.

22. TYPO Live on February 23, 2021 at 10:19 pm

Great video! Thank you so much for posting. We’re looking forward to watching more🙂

23. Pera P on February 23, 2021 at 10:20 pm

This is just superb, I’ve been looking for "organic garden plants" for a while now, and I think this has helped. You ever tried – Nonannah Hanulian Future – (do a google search ) ? Ive heard some pretty good things about it and my brother in law got cool results with it.

24. dave courtnell on February 23, 2021 at 10:20 pm

Hi how do I access the garden planer..???

25. S K on February 23, 2021 at 10:21 pm

Radishes and spinach do better in full sun. Especially if you are starting them in cooler weather.

26. Cheyenne Morris on February 23, 2021 at 10:23 pm

This was great! I’m a newbie and the plant community is great!!

27. Punk Nuclear on February 23, 2021 at 10:24 pm

I can SMELL this video and it’s nostalgic

idk why but it’s amazing

28. Eckle Alie on February 23, 2021 at 10:24 pm

Where do I obtain your garden planner from?

29. Gloria Neiswender on February 23, 2021 at 10:25 pm

I am glad I found this video. Thank You for sharing !

30. DS Garden Journal on February 23, 2021 at 10:26 pm

I enjoyed that video very much, thank you for the lessons – there are some i know i wished i’ve known already, but as you say, we can improve…

31. Mary Villegas on February 23, 2021 at 10:26 pm

Plants make me happy ☺☺

32. Kate Williams on February 23, 2021 at 10:27 pm

Thank you for this great advice!
    I’m planning on starting a garden this weekend and I’m apprehensive as it gets incredibly hot here in Miami.
    Here’s hoping! ✨🌿👌🏼

33. CAROLE FREEMAN on February 23, 2021 at 10:28 pm

I am a new gardener, who is limited to planting in pots on my patio. Do you have any advise to add for container gardeners? Please and thank you!

34. Najma Poona on February 23, 2021 at 10:29 pm

great tips we are staring a farm with 10 acres of land in Kenya .
    any advise will be welcome.

35. John Holloway on February 23, 2021 at 10:32 pm

Super video.
    I have a plot out back that I will be planting in a year or so. It is about 50′ by 20′. It is now just some weeds and grass.
    I do not wish to kill the weeds and grass with chemicals or by tilling. I will simply use plain garden soil and cardboard.
    Question:
    Should the cardboard be placed over the weeds and grass first and then the garden soil over the cardboard?
    OR
    should I place the garden soil over the weeds and grass first and then place the cardboard over the soil?
    Thanks

36. olives koster on February 23, 2021 at 10:33 pm

Ok now i learnedca lot thank u sir i love this channel very simple not complecated 👍lerz exchange https://youtu.be/5xEP1XkJjNI

37. Sohaib Romi on February 23, 2021 at 10:33 pm

I m from Pakistan my friend I want talk to you my friend God bless you please count me in WhatsApp number +923166410114 I want there working

38. My Bangla Garden on February 23, 2021 at 10:33 pm

Loved this video many thanks

39. MK TIPS on February 23, 2021 at 10:35 pm

https://youtu.be/W-nWnRbX4Qs 😊😊😊 Sir please support

40. Dougie Mack on February 23, 2021 at 10:37 pm

Great clear, concise advice. Thanks. Keep it up.

41. Magna Communications on February 23, 2021 at 10:37 pm

Awesome! Your videos are rich with easy “how to do” 👍bravo. Usually when I cut fruits, after tasting the quality I keep the seeds, wash it, store it, once the seed is semi Dry, pot it in small containers/ paper cups with garden soil compost, then adequate 💦 water, they germinate in 3 to four days depending on the seed. After the saplings grow around 12 to 15 cm I plant them in to the garden. The saplings grow in pots (incubator, nursery) quick than directly in soil. That’s what I do with kitchen gardening. 🌿

42. C D on February 23, 2021 at 10:37 pm
  43. Rob Michael on February 23, 2021 at 10:39 pm

Yesterday I harvested the first salad from my brand new garden. #WIN

44. o0Avalon0o on February 23, 2021 at 10:40 pm

I appreciate the concise, educational video! I’m not the best student, but you’re advice really helped me in my first garden.

45. Vegetable Growing For Beginners on February 23, 2021 at 10:40 pm

A good watch…….yes, I’ve been gardening(ornamental and vegetable) for many many years but it’s great to see other’s takes on it.

46. rebron on February 23, 2021 at 10:44 pm

You sound like the voice of that pottery throw down show.

47. Brian Daniels on February 23, 2021 at 10:47 pm

I’m just starting out, I mean JUST starting out. I’m building 3 beds (my first ever) in my backyard this weekend and seeds for leaf lettuce, carrots and broccoli are on the way to be planted as soon as they arrive. Wish me luck!

48. Fiona Harvey on February 23, 2021 at 10:48 pm

Great videos I have watched about six this morning, easy to follow and very informative thank you ☘️☘️

49. Eriberto III Beduya on February 23, 2021 at 10:50 pm

what is the name of the planting program? or app?

50. Jan N on February 23, 2021 at 10:50 pm

What organic mulch can you add around vegetables in the UK? I used dried cut grass as mulch will this lead to too much nitrogen when the grass breaks down? Please let me know.