How to Grow Vegetables in Containers // Container Gardening // Self Sufficient Sunday!

This complete container gardening video can help you become more self sufficient even with a small property or bad soil… even gardening on a patio. We will cover size and type of containers and pots, watering your vegetables in containers, fertilizing, how to plant vegetables in containers, money saving hacks for compost and potting mix and dividing root bound plants. How to grow tomatoes in containers is covered as well as how to grow potatoes in containers, corn in containers and much more!

Related Video Links
Strawberry Rain Gutter : https://bit.ly/34U6Zl9
Potato Video: https://bit.ly/2VziJoM
Tomato in Bucket: https://bit.ly/2KgSEWn
Making Teepee Trellises: https://bit.ly/2RPotd8
Sweet potato: https://bit.ly/2VjPqro

Product Links
CaliKim Small Space Kitchen Garden Seed Collection: https://bit.ly/2Vi9sCG
CaliKim Purple Smart Pots: https://bit.ly/3bhCEzk
Neptune’s Harvest Fish & Kelp Fertilizer: https://amzn.to/2XMjbmp

Is your plastic food safe??

1. Maries Joseph on February 23, 2021 at 9:56 pm

Ppp

2. Valerie Sanchez on February 23, 2021 at 9:57 pm

So i had plants for a while now.
    I noticed how slow they were progressing.
    So from other videos i heard soil lacking calcium could precent plants from taking in nutrients.
    So i tried a calcium fix.
    Much to my surprise,
    It worked so well my strawberry plants got overwhelmed and started drinking the built up fertilizer and had burnt leaves.
    Overall though they are speeding up their growth to normal.
    From this lesson has taught me.
    With containers,
    You will need more than npk to be successful.
    I guess it is all trial and error

3. Brenda Dodd on February 23, 2021 at 9:59 pm

I live in an apt but on the North side of the building. How or what can I plant by my door. I do have 1 4×4 raised bed that the complex arranged for those that want it as well but i like to have my mint handy which did well this summer. I live in OK.

4. Leslie Kendall on February 23, 2021 at 10:02 pm

The craziest thing I ever did was use an antique swing set for a grape trellis. And they’re doing great. I also placed it to shade the pond. 👍

5. Marissa Ginn-Davis on February 23, 2021 at 10:02 pm

Can you fill the bottom of pots with pieces of cardboard?

6. John Mathilda on February 23, 2021 at 10:03 pm

Beautiful garden. I admire the Yellow Brugmansia. Thank you for the info. Watching from Malaysia.

7. olives koster on February 23, 2021 at 10:05 pm

Wow this id a brilliant idea i love your film its great 👍lers exchange https://youtu.be/kuA2Qd71ND0

8. Cheeky Nonconformist on February 23, 2021 at 10:06 pm

Some great ideas. I didn’t know that technique on potatoes and tomatoes. That got you a 👍 and a sub. Will look over you library. Nice

9. Rain Rain on February 23, 2021 at 10:09 pm

Is that a datura plant behind you???

10. Jazmine Dickson on February 23, 2021 at 10:11 pm

can we use hay and rabbit droppings for the bottom of tall planters

11. Judy A. Shroads on February 23, 2021 at 10:12 pm

A cloth walmart blue bag (50¢ each) in a baby pool by Larry Hall of Minnesota.

12. mirimi motiff on February 23, 2021 at 10:13 pm

Survivors of the Caterpillar attack, sounds like an old 50’s sci-fi film hehe

13. Don Berry on February 23, 2021 at 10:13 pm

If you put plastic or metal bottles below the potting mix, make sure that they are filled with water for ballast. Otherwise (if no drain holes), water from hose or rain will create a buoyant force that will float up the containers through the potting soil. this is similar to an empty swimming pool raising up when the ground water is high enough.. Simple physics.

14. Lucyna Blacha on February 23, 2021 at 10:14 pm

Super

15. Deshaune Lockett on February 23, 2021 at 10:15 pm

What size pot and depth would you recommend for growing sugarcane? Thanks 😊

16. Dennis J. Varade SR on February 23, 2021 at 10:15 pm

When insects attack plants they do it for 4 reasons. One food, two a drink, three lay eggs, or some (bees, wasps, yellow jackets, and others.) to pollinate. When you find an infestation it’s usually too late like the borers. If the plants are ready to collapse, just salvage whatever fruit that you can, then pull the plants out and do not compost. Send them out in the garbage or roadside pickup with their embedded eggs and next year’s family of bugs. Bees, wasps, yellow jackets, and others are needed in all gardens. On hot summer days the pollinators, Bees wasps, yellow jackets, and others may bite into your plants for something drink. To reduce this put coffee can cover’s filled with water and they will drink that.

17. FortunaCM on February 23, 2021 at 10:18 pm

Gorgeous brugmansia brother! Moving to a mobile home with a small area for a garden…looking for inspiration!

18. yobigobi on February 23, 2021 at 10:19 pm

I really want to know how he knows this

19. Gardening Made Easy on February 23, 2021 at 10:19 pm

16:00 HARSH

20. Сергей Казаков on February 23, 2021 at 10:20 pm
  21. misscomment on February 23, 2021 at 10:21 pm

22. Sarah Rivera on February 23, 2021 at 10:22 pm

Excellent ideas can’t wait live vin Cali

23. Eddie Leal on February 23, 2021 at 10:26 pm

Love the info greatly appreciated

24. Leslie Kendall on February 23, 2021 at 10:26 pm

"And don’t ask me how I know that"
    Sounds like something I would’ve said to my mother in my late teens. 😆😂

25. Suong Tran on February 23, 2021 at 10:27 pm

Thank you,great video!

26. Juan Garcia on February 23, 2021 at 10:29 pm

Can I plant bell pepper indoor during this winter time ?

27. marezeedo on February 23, 2021 at 10:30 pm

Im growing in those fabric grow pots. they’re amazing! I look for containers all the time!

28. beth crist on February 23, 2021 at 10:33 pm

Do you recommend grow bags for containers or do they dry out too fast?

29. Nary Taher on February 23, 2021 at 10:34 pm

The video i’ve been needing

30. jumrat K on February 23, 2021 at 10:35 pm

Thank You! Love your videos.

31. Rumah RasBerry's on February 23, 2021 at 10:35 pm

Thank you for your gardening instructions ☺️
    Watching your garden give me courage to keep on doing gardening.

32. Dusty The ADHD Coach on February 23, 2021 at 10:36 pm

"DON’T ASK ME HOW I KNOW THAT" 😂😂😂

33. Vitthal Shah on February 23, 2021 at 10:38 pm

Do u drill holes in bottom for indoors plastic containers ?
    And metal bed how much place use for potting mix.

34. Benjamin McGillicutty on February 23, 2021 at 10:39 pm

I enjoyed the video but I wish you had spoken more about how often to feed food crops in containers

35. KL J52 on February 23, 2021 at 10:40 pm

my mom used some old rain boots and an old mailbox😝

36. Maria's Channel on February 23, 2021 at 10:41 pm

Wow nice👌 subscribed 😊 please watch my channel videos like, share ,comment and subscribe 😊

37. nlove2k on February 23, 2021 at 10:42 pm

Thank you for this I’m a newbie and learned a lot!!

38. Ony Wahyu Widayati on February 23, 2021 at 10:44 pm

Ribet amat pak.
    Kalau di kampungku, lempar kayu di halaman, bisa jadi tanaman.
    Ajaib hidup di khatulistiwa.
    Masukkan di kulkas umbi kentang, ubi jalar, bawang, biji dan rimpang, bisa tumbuh tunas gondrong. Langsung jadi kebun kulkasnya kekekek..

39. sheiba09 on February 23, 2021 at 10:45 pm

My raised bed my husband built is two feet deep two feet wide and twelve feet long . It has watering pipes that run along the bottom , with small holes through it and covered with pantyhose material so nothing blocks or gets in the pipes . . It has a drainage pipe that was four inches from bottom but we lowered it to two inches as it was retaining too much water . The whole inside was lined with pond liner too . I’m hoping it works well for the garlic we planted in the fall and the onion we will plant in spring 🤞

40. Juan Garcia on February 23, 2021 at 10:46 pm

I’ll going to watch your bell pepper video .thanks

41. Stephen Antonicelli on February 23, 2021 at 10:46 pm

Would using used coffee grounds as bottom fill be ok?

42. teacher Bram on February 23, 2021 at 10:49 pm

craziest thing is my wife … I will be FATHER YAAAY

43. Irene Kapiko on February 23, 2021 at 10:49 pm

What’s the best container garden veggie to start with as a beginner

44. Esther Loske on February 23, 2021 at 10:50 pm

Dude ! You’re the next level !
    SO MUCH awesome ,valuable ,helpful
    gardening tips ! 🖒👏👌

45. GorgieClarissa on February 23, 2021 at 10:50 pm

"these were survivors from the caterpillar attack" whaaaaaat hahaha. just a great quote that is priceless for anyone who hasn’t watched the video LOL

46. YouTube WantsToSilenceMe on February 23, 2021 at 10:51 pm

I’d like to be more self sufficient but I don’t see buying expensive soil to try to grow vegetables which are rather cheap in the grocery store as a worthwhile endeavor.

47. Enid Eckert on February 23, 2021 at 10:51 pm

Brian, how many and what sized holes do you drill in the galvanized containers.

48. Fran Andrews on February 23, 2021 at 10:53 pm

I just bought several planting pots from Dollar Tree. Heads up it says made in China and no indication of a number on the bottom anywhere. Guess I won’t be planting onions in those. I should have looked before buying.

49. Erik Johnson on February 23, 2021 at 10:53 pm

yeah this summer I grew veggies in 14-20inch deep pots and when I pulled them out this year they all had roots at the bottom. I even had a 1 yard long by 20 inch by 20inch pot be completely rootbound by a few tomatoes and cucumbers…