How to Plant a Window Box | Detailed Lesson | For Full/Part Sun | Container Gardening

I’ve had a lot of people very curious about how I start my window boxes, and how they get so big and look so nice. I will teach you how to plant a window box, and show you exactly what I do in a detailed lesson. From start, to finish. I will share what soil I use, a secret added weapon before planting(link below), how to arrange plants, and plants and their variety names included. I’ll discuss fertilizing tips throughout the Summer. So many great added tips that will have your window box being UNFORGETTABLE this Year!
This Combination can tolerate Full to Part Sun. My Window Boxes face East. This can handle South Side and West Side Sun as well. North Side is too shady.
Secret Weapon-Osmocote Time Release Fertilizer. Add in after filling box with soil. Here is a link to purchase – https://amzn.to/2HFncAP
Then for Fertilizing during the summer, use Jack’s Bloom Booster. Here is a link to purchase https://amzn.to/2KlM42n This is a water soluble fertilizer can be used once per week, then twice per week starting mid season.
Container Gardening Lesson
Feel Free to Follow Casey’s Gardens on Instagram @CaseyLynnLawrence

1. Dol l on February 26, 2021 at 10:25 pm

Is there an update video to see it in full glory?

2. Jen Mc on February 26, 2021 at 10:30 pm

Great videos! You’re a pleasure to watch – American as apple pie! ๐Ÿ˜‰

3. Loren Ferruccio on February 26, 2021 at 10:30 pm

Do you have a video on how you built your boxes? or did you purchase them?

4. Tambra Dugger on February 26, 2021 at 10:32 pm

So beautiful I wish I lived closer to y’all where I could shop at your nursery I would love to have some of those flowers. I have to go to several place to find everything here where I live lol

5. Priscilla Sapien on February 26, 2021 at 10:34 pm

Beautiful

6. tulip GB on February 26, 2021 at 10:36 pm

Casey…so happy to see yr video. Just when I am planting my window boxes but they are a lot smaller than yours. I love the idea of putting so many plants in too. Look forward to watching them grow. Planted up my hanging baskets. Had to look back on your videos on how to trim the tops off the petunias ๐Ÿค—let’s hope I did it right!!
    Missed seeing your little gardening helpers. Hope u & all the family are well. Love from across the pond in Wales ๐Ÿ’– xx

7. Sheila Smith on February 26, 2021 at 10:37 pm

What kind of wood are your window boxes made of?

8. Anne Scott on February 26, 2021 at 10:43 pm

๐Ÿ™‹hi from Scotland hi Casey another lovely video thank you take care Anne Scott from Scotland

9. HAVE A MAGICAL DAY on February 26, 2021 at 10:45 pm

Here February 2020!! Watching this has got me ready to plant window boxes and containers. I’m in Zone 6, so I have months to go!

10. G Brown on February 26, 2021 at 10:46 pm

So…to put new potting soil every season…you must empty out and bin last years plants?? Is that right ? You need to empty and reseed every year ?

11. 3pumpkins on February 26, 2021 at 10:47 pm

Hi Casey, just came across your channel. Beautiful window boxes! By the way, what’s the brand of potting soil you use?

12. Gardener Mom in Rawalpindi on February 26, 2021 at 10:49 pm

Water requirements of each plant is different ……guide us about watering too please

13. Roxana Nunez on February 26, 2021 at 10:49 pm

You are amazing ๐Ÿ˜Š๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒท๐ŸŒธyour flower ๐ŸŒธ I ๐ŸŒฟ๐Ÿ’๐ŸŒป๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒบ๐Ÿฅ€bed looks beautiful

14. Antoinette Wyman on February 26, 2021 at 10:51 pm

How do you water?

15. Nancy Proft on February 26, 2021 at 10:53 pm

Hi Casey, just came across your video. I live your window box, Iโ€™m just wondering what is the length of your boxes?

16. Kathleen Murphy on February 26, 2021 at 10:53 pm

Wow what a great hint to bundle your plant tags together and then put them in the corner of the window box thank you so very much for that great idea

17. Kyra D on February 26, 2021 at 10:54 pm

Can’t wait to see the progress. I like the way you gave all the details including how you planted the 4-pack all together. I’d love to see you do a video on a part-sun/shady window box if you have time.

18. Milly Jo on February 26, 2021 at 10:57 pm

Casey, your videos are very easy to follow. Could you create downloadable tutorials, and/or offer cd(s) for purchase? I would pay for either. My succulents are staying alive because of your guidance. I just prefer to have something on CD or downloaded onto my computer into a library I’ve created.

19. Cindy Hewatt on February 26, 2021 at 10:59 pm

Oh so envious of the variety of the plants you have, canโ€™t wait to see it again in a few months, itโ€™s going to be an epic one for sure!!! ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’š

20. William Butts on February 26, 2021 at 10:59 pm

Great job, looks awesome and great tips… Wisconsin has a gem of a gardener! Beautiful!

21. GardensbyJudy Levy on February 26, 2021 at 10:59 pm

You make up the best window boxes, cannot wait to see them filled out…

22. Shadna cameron on February 26, 2021 at 11:01 pm

New subscriber โค๏ธlove your garden and your family. Thanks for all the gardening tips๐ŸŒบ

23. Iris Pierce on February 26, 2021 at 11:01 pm

Beautiful, I love that. Thank you so much for showing us all the steps. My boxes are about 40โ€ long, but, Iโ€™m going to see how many I can get in.

24. Peggy Burress on February 26, 2021 at 11:10 pm

Such wonderful information. Very beautiful.

25. Wandy Gonzalez on February 26, 2021 at 11:15 pm

So pretty.

26. SurvivalAustria on February 26, 2021 at 11:16 pm

That’s an interesting video, thank you for showing us.

SurvivalAustria

27. Holly's Simple Life on February 26, 2021 at 11:17 pm

Love your videos. I always learn so much.

28. shirin20001 on February 26, 2021 at 11:18 pm

Hi! I loved this video! This is a first time I want to plant some flowers in my 3 flower boxes on the deck. I noticed you also added some taller plants in the back. I am just wondering what should I do since mine is not a window box. Should I put shorter plants instead? Any suggestions? I live in Vancouver Canada which has many rainy days. Will I be able to use the same flowers you used? I saw you other video and fell in love with your beautiful flower box after growing! ๐Ÿ‘Œthanks!

29. Gina Friend on February 26, 2021 at 11:19 pm

Dang gir!! You’re very Lucky to have a Dad to have this business, and I Know he’s Proud of You ..and your Mom and sisters as I’ve seen!
    How Wonderful!!! Nice lessons! Thank You! ๐Ÿ’

30. TIERRA Y LOMBRICES on February 26, 2021 at 11:20 pm

I’m copying a lot of your ideas, thank you.

31. Christa Lamia on February 26, 2021 at 11:21 pm

Beautiful. You do have the best window boxes! Canโ€™t wait to see it all grown in!! ๐Ÿ˜

32. Prashant Lohia on February 26, 2021 at 11:23 pm

What is the potting mix, you r using in this, it looks very light and fluffy, I think there is no garden soil in it.

33. Lin chiung-yu Yu on February 26, 2021 at 11:23 pm

๐Ÿ‘

34. Kathleen Murphy on February 26, 2021 at 11:23 pm

I agree with the osmocote because of the experience I had this past summer. Before I used to just maybe use the plant sticks the job’s makes I agree with the asthma coat because of the experience I had this past summer. Before I used to just maybe use the plants sticks the job’s makes and then try to use Miracle Grow. But after watching. But after watching and I hope you don’t mind me mentioning her channel Maria’s Garden she’s a delightful lady that owns her own succulent Nursery and I learned from her to use osmocote. You love succulents so you might enjoy her Channel if you ever have time to watch other people’s videos. This lady even publishes her phone number on a lot of her videos so if you have questions you can call her on Fridays. But she really uses a lot of osmocote in her cuttings of which she reminds me of you because you grow all of your plants and so does she. With That Big Greenhouse you have you might enjoy getting some desert roses what she grows from seeds that she imports from Thailand and she also Imports grafted desert roses. I hope you don’t mind me mentioning her on your Channel she has thousands of subscribers so I’m not trying to drum up business for her in any way shape or form. Back to the osmocote and using it last summer in addition to liquid fertilizer like Miracle-Gro my plants or the best ever and I’m 70 years old almost 71. And if anybody’s interested in using osmocote they should buy the largest package available because it’s much cheaper if you buy the big bag of it rather than just a little jar of it. A question for you after my long comment and I hope you don’t mind long comments because someone really got mad at me the other day and read me the riot act via email so I apologize if my comments are too long. But my question is did your husband make those window boxes and how did you attach them to the house since I’m sure they would be very heavy