What and When to Plant for Your Spring Garden – Planning Your First Garden

In this video, I divide my some plants from my spring garden (2014) into 4 categories.
I use the Square Foot Garden method: Check out my Amazon storefront for the book and more garden related items. https://www.amazon.com/shop/rainbowgardens
As an Amazon affiliate, I will earn a small commission when you purchase through my provided link on qualifying purchases.

NOTE:I direct sow many leafy cabbages, but not heading.

Check your frost date here:

OR here:

Using specific examples from my personal garden, I will show you which ones I direct sow (plant directly into the garden soil), which ones I transplanted (started indoors and moved into the garden soil), what I planted the previous fall and early spring, and which ones are perennials.This should help the beginning gardener, and those experienced, plan their first spring garden. Many people overlook the wonderful growing season of spring and often focus on the summer vegetables like peppers and tomatoes. I hope you find this information helpful and can use it to plan your spring garden. Spring is right around the corner! Yay!

1. Joe Smathers on February 28, 2021 at 10:03 pm

still have the original sq ft gardening book thank you

2. Alan Porter on February 28, 2021 at 10:04 pm

Great job

3. safi456 on February 28, 2021 at 10:08 pm

Do you really talk like that in real life??? Wow, it’s like watching The Help or Gone With The Wind.

4. Lisa D on February 28, 2021 at 10:08 pm

Hello, great video so much information, really enjoy watching your videos! I noticed you have a plastic jug buried in your bed, how is that working for you?  I  use the bottles throughout my gardens but I can’t get the holes small enough for just a dripping. I put the holes in with a safety in, what are your using to make your holes?

5. Iron Arrows Homestead on February 28, 2021 at 10:10 pm

We are in zone 7, which might be close to yours?! When do you plant potatoes?

6. Keyplayr61 Greenhouse Hydroponics And Gardens on February 28, 2021 at 10:12 pm

Good info, Donna! Thanks for sharing!

7. Sonnie's Garden on February 28, 2021 at 10:13 pm

Great info!

8. Permaculture Homestead on February 28, 2021 at 10:18 pm

your awesome, thx for the share, really good info and great suggestion on the square ft. gardening book.

9. timshel Leo on February 28, 2021 at 10:18 pm

Nice video (as always)
    I’d like to grow some French Tarragon. I tried starting from seed but no success. Did  you get yours locally or mail order? I found the shipping price to be too costly.

10. Mimit Primyastanto on February 28, 2021 at 10:19 pm

45. "Truly! The Muttaqun (pious and righteous persons – see V.2:2) will be amidst Gardens and water-springs (Paradise).

46. "(It will be said to them): ‘Enter therein (Paradise), in peace and security.’

47. "And We shall remove from their breasts any sense of injury (that they may have), (So they will be like) brothers facing each other on thrones.

48. "No sense of fatigue shall touch them, nor shall they (ever) be asked to leave it." (Q.S. 15 : 45-48)

11. Camila M. Irwin on February 28, 2021 at 10:20 pm

I have the old version of the book which I picked up for $1 used. But I’m new at this and I’m intimidated by the rotation idea. In his book he says to replant at a particular time for a constant harvest. Does this mean in the same square? How do I know what to plant in a new square or when to take out the harvest?

12. Dovey C on February 28, 2021 at 10:20 pm

i love ❤️ your southern accent

13. Hope's waking UP on February 28, 2021 at 10:21 pm

spring 2019 I am in Atlanta Georgia. last year I did a container garden, this year my husband dug me 5 "burial plots" LOL I’m jumping in I appreciate your video So i really need to learn what i can grow

14. TGSureal on February 28, 2021 at 10:24 pm

Is that a burp mid sentence @3:59-4:00?

15. Dee bermudez on February 28, 2021 at 10:27 pm

I love watching your videos . you are very thorough and detailed. you explain every process from seed to harvest which helps me so much since I am a new gardener . thank You so much I have learned so much. you are creative and bring something new each time

16. MyHeadred on February 28, 2021 at 10:29 pm

I don’t think I would have my garden without all your great videos. This video is especially  helpful to me and I very much appreciate all your hard work.

17. Sarah the Gardener on February 28, 2021 at 10:29 pm

Great tips Donna.  I love watching your garden, it is beautiful.  Cheers  Sarah  : o )

18. Noreen's Kitchen on February 28, 2021 at 10:30 pm

You and I think alike!  I am getting ready to upload a similar video on the garden channel as well!  Time to think about all this goodness!  I love winter, and my dirt finger hasn’t started itching quite yet.  But soon it will.  Today it is 68 degrees outside and I can feel it starting to well up!  LOL!

19. Anastasia Clendaniel on February 28, 2021 at 10:30 pm

Revisiting this video as were already having spring weather here in Phoenix! It’s going to be blazing hot in a month so I hope I have time

20. Iron Arrows Homestead on February 28, 2021 at 10:33 pm

Thanks! We have our nightshades growing indoors (and a few other random things),  but we planted lettuce, cabbage, beets, rutabaga and kohlrabi outside today. Hubby is tilling the soil right now for sugar snap peas, carrots, radishes, cilantro, spinach, more beets, more lettuce, onion sets, dill, parsley, kale, etc. to plant tomorrow. Thanks for you great video! We are trying to learn as much as possible! This is our second year with a garden.

21. theIAMofME on February 28, 2021 at 10:39 pm

Hi there! Loved your video. May I ask what zone you are in?

22. Greg Bashaw on February 28, 2021 at 10:46 pm

Hello, I was just wondering what you program you use to edit your videos. They are so professionally done! 🙂

23. iLeaRDGZ on February 28, 2021 at 10:47 pm

Kudos for the video content! Excuse me for butting in, I would appreciate your opinion. Have you researched – Parlandealey Impetigo Goodbye Process (Sure I saw it on Google)? It is an awesome one of a kind product for finding some amazing landscaping designs for your home minus the hard work. Ive heard some incredible things about it and my friend Sam finally got cool success with it.

24. Donna Smith on February 28, 2021 at 10:47 pm

I appreciate all of your information–thank you!

25. Brandon Grennan on February 28, 2021 at 10:47 pm

Amazing video! Thanks a ton!

26. Patrick Meehan on February 28, 2021 at 10:47 pm

Thanks for that useful information. Its good to have guideline as and when to grow

27. Truth Seeker on February 28, 2021 at 10:48 pm

Thank you so much for your advice and gardening tips; they are greatly appreciated. Can I please ask you your opinion on planting "late". so I decided to make a raised bed garden and grow my own veggies, problem is this all should have been done in December and January. I think the main concern is if the temperature gets too hot. I live in the Central Valley of California and it gets into the 100s in summer. Can my squash, tomatoes, peppers, bell peppers, cucumber, cilantro, turnips, lettuces, and some others survive. thank you so much.

28. Suzanne Ramoundos on February 28, 2021 at 10:51 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  All these years I have missed the problem.  In the mountains of W. Md near W. Va we have a late start, and very short cool time before the blazing summer sun hits with nights that are still too cold.   Yikes, I have had early green failure forever.   So, last year, hoops and self watering short tubs helped but your info about starting indoors just unlocked the whole thing.  I would love to hear any tips you have for growing spinach and a while back you had some advice for me on Ollos(sorry, my spelling stinks) but do you still use them or have you modified that idea in any way?  I see the sunken gallons in the garden, are those the same ones?   Mine seemed to stop draining as the level of water went down a little.   One more time, thanks so much for your video and the AHA moment.

29. Sher Bear on February 28, 2021 at 10:52 pm

I really loved this video!  It is a great reminder of what to do when.  A little early for me to start transplants, but not to early to dig out my Mel book and order a few "must have" seeds!  lol  Again, a great job Donna!  My first year, in many years, starting seeds indoors.  I will need all the "schooling" I can get!

30. Gardening With Puppies on February 28, 2021 at 10:55 pm

With all the choices it can even be overwhelming to we old timers. Good tips, Donna.

31. FREE YOURSELF on February 28, 2021 at 10:57 pm

i’ve been trying to plant a garden for 5 years and basically i stink at it so i’ll take any tips i can get my hands on    thank you   brian

32. D Mac on February 28, 2021 at 10:59 pm

This was so helpful!!!

33. Shaken Grain on February 28, 2021 at 11:00 pm

Parsley? Do you start parsley from seeds or transplants? Annual or perennial? Overwinter? PS: Really wish PBS would re-release Mel’s old shows. Very few cameos carried over to youtube. Miss them!