Garden Tour (This FEEDS a Family of 4 for a Year)

Join our homestead garden tour for spring 2019 where I show you how we raise a year’s worth of food from our herb garden, fruit and mini orchard, and our main annual vegetable garden in foothills of the Pacific Northwest (gardening zone 6). ๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿ‘‡Click to see more goodies

We raise over 55% of our own fruits and vegetables in our backyard.

Sign up for our FREE Pressure Canning Series here https://melissa-norris.mykajabi.com/pressurecanning

Vertical Gardening – How to Build a Teepee Trellis & Save Space https://youtu.be/ZtIC5jGrxek

Homestead Pantry Tour 2019 [Year’s Worth of Food Storage w/out a Root Cellar] https://youtu.be/TvpExT_1Zu0

How to Plant Raspberries – Soil Prep, Growing & Caring for your Raspberry Plants https://youtu.be/aGIyGVwkR6E

High Tunnel Greenhouse DIY 6 Years Later!! https://youtu.be/CYGNy65JQRY

Listen and check out the Pioneering Today Podcast here: https://melissaknorris.com/podcast

My BOOKS (affiliate links):
The Made-from-Scratch Life: Simple Ways to Create a Natural Home https://amzn.to/2E95nIE
Hand Made: the Modern Guide to Made-from-Scratch Living https://amzn.to/2GFIBcR

Let’s get social:
Pioneering Today Homestead Blog https://melissaknorris.com/blog/
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/melissaknor…
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/melissaknorris/
Pinterest https://pinterest.com/melissaknorris

Garden Tour Grow A Year’s Worth of Food for a Family of 4 https://youtu.be/hqrtls8NcCI

1. Scott Deason on March 4, 2021 at 10:08 pm

Didn’t take long for you to become a favorite. Intelligent, well spoken, knowledgeable, and lovely.

2. Chelsea Dozois on March 4, 2021 at 10:10 pm

I think that’s catmint not lavender in your garden!

3. LARK'S GARDENS on March 4, 2021 at 10:11 pm

Good morning Melissa. I am new to your channel. I enjoyed your detailed garden tour. I have recently moved into a senior living community where I have two raised beds. I am very thankful for being able to continue my gardening. At 24:22 I noticed you had purslane and it looked like the start of lamb’s quarters. Do you eat them? My new senior friends think I am a little strange in harvesting ‘weeds’ but I am very happy to continue my forging harvests at my new home. I look forward to watching many of your videos. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and time. Lark

4. Caitlyn mayrand Caitlyn mayrand on March 4, 2021 at 10:11 pm

what can I do with black berry

5. V Gil on March 4, 2021 at 10:12 pm

Handsome doggo.

6. FirstTime Farmer on March 4, 2021 at 10:12 pm

โฃ๏ธ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿพ

7. James Gaul on March 4, 2021 at 10:13 pm

Wonderful video… Blessings & Peace.

8. Al Caton on March 4, 2021 at 10:14 pm

Do you have a root cellar?

9. Back to basics Now on March 4, 2021 at 10:14 pm

Can you list how many plants of each you generally plant for your family of 4?

10. Srilankan Travellingchef on March 4, 2021 at 10:16 pm

Very Educational & helpful .

11. Elvis Manforyou on March 4, 2021 at 10:19 pm

Nice orchard, please what is the spacing for your fruit trees?

12. jesse sisson on March 4, 2021 at 10:19 pm

I love your videos, I’ve learned so much and still have so much that I want to get done! And you are absolutely GORGEOUS!

13. Chris Sede on March 4, 2021 at 10:20 pm

Nothing like mixing peppers together. Going to end up with some interesting hybrids if you reseed from your peppers which I assume you do.

14. Algeria icook on March 4, 2021 at 10:20 pm

My sage, basil and rosemary have so much white spots that they look diseased!

15. K L on March 4, 2021 at 10:20 pm

This channel should be part of the curriculum in schools.

16. John Orr on March 4, 2021 at 10:21 pm

Backyard farming should be taught in schools today. Also, "Victory" gardens should be encouraged in suburban and rural areas.

17. CMDR Josky on March 4, 2021 at 10:26 pm

wow ๐Ÿ™‚

18. Melissa K. Norris - Modern Homesteading on March 4, 2021 at 10:28 pm

With growing all this food, you know preserving the bounty to store it over the winter months is a must. I’m doing a free home food preservation video series here, kicking off next week. Make sure you snag your seat for it https://melissaknorris.com/food-preservation-video-series/

19. Ron Selliers on March 4, 2021 at 10:29 pm

Since you like medicinal and tea plants you might want to try some stinging nettle seeds to see if they will grow around fence rows or tree lines in your climate.

20. Cable Salad on March 4, 2021 at 10:31 pm

How big is this land plot? How much land do you need to feed a family of 6?

21. Kit DuBhran on March 4, 2021 at 10:33 pm

Iโ€™ll probably add more comments later, but starting on a comment about your herbs. Winter savory is incredibly flavorful not all that well-known and grows really well as a low ground cover, even amongst grass.

22. Nexington Caldwell on March 4, 2021 at 10:34 pm

Do you ever prune your grapevines

23. Vanessa C on March 4, 2021 at 10:37 pm

How do you get oregano and lavender so large? Mine always die and they are always so little and grow separate from each other instead of forming a bush type plant.

24. AthennaPierce on March 4, 2021 at 10:37 pm

Would love to hear the update on your experiment! Iโ€™m getting ready to prep a garden area at my soon to be home !

25. Kristy D on March 4, 2021 at 10:40 pm

How did the cardboard/wood chip mulching process end up impacting your soil levels??!

26. Phyllis McCall on March 4, 2021 at 10:40 pm

I find that if I plant my different kinds that close to each other, they cross pollinate. Then I get Frankenstein squash. I live on Vancouver Island.

27. David Thompson on March 4, 2021 at 10:41 pm

I just found your channel and I love it! Your gardens are gorgeous and I Love how you incorporate herbs into your beds. Functional and aesthetic, which is also my preferred approach to garden design. Thank you for sharing your lifestyle. Very inspiring!

28. Charles Bale on March 4, 2021 at 10:42 pm

Always enjoy your videos, great information.

29. dalepres1 on March 4, 2021 at 10:45 pm

Just curious; have you considered any more intensive gardening methods or mulching? Or both? As beautiful as your gardens are, I don’t think I’ve seen so much exposed topsoil in a garden in decades.

30. Gina Jeffries on March 4, 2021 at 10:45 pm

You must be in W. Washington. My main crops are blackberries and morning glory. I’m an expert, no effort at all, don’t have to raise a finger! Thankfully, my goats are excellent at keeping them under tight control!

31. Hop Lam on March 4, 2021 at 10:46 pm

Like Beaty gardener, I too love gardening. I feeling relax, relief stress after long day at work.

32. SimplyPatti on March 4, 2021 at 10:47 pm

I love the views around your home! I canโ€™t imagine waking outside my house and seeing mountains. You are so blessed your fatherโ€™s family migrated to the PNW. Itโ€™s such a beautiful area.

33. Tony Canaris on March 4, 2021 at 10:48 pm

I cant grow anything on my garden plot where bindweed has taken over . I cant get rid of it . I tried everything.

34. lisa lackey on March 4, 2021 at 10:48 pm

Hi- Thanks so much for showing us your garden! It looks beautiful. Something I’d like to know more about: I heard you talk about saving seeds on your carrots, but how do you get seeds for all your other crops (you talked about pulling all your lettuce before it went to seed, for instance)?
    A few things I am growing that I didn’t already see in your garden- 3 types of perennial kale. (They just keep growing without ever having to replant for years now.) Purple broccoli is still putting out shoots in July. Tranco del Zapallo squash, which can either be eaten as a summer squash, if harvested young, or as a winter squash, if harvested late. Lots of flowers for the native bees… Turns out native bees prefer native plants flowers.
    Thanks again for your lovely video.

35. Raheel Jamil on March 4, 2021 at 10:48 pm

How much land is that?

36. neal tran on March 4, 2021 at 10:48 pm

how do you pay for utility like electricity, water/sewage?

37. Melissa Nielsen on March 4, 2021 at 10:49 pm

Thankyou very much .Very good ideas .Thanks for explaining so much.

38. John Orr on March 4, 2021 at 10:51 pm

In 2020, I planted 5 tomato plants. I also have a Concord grapevine. The birds "harvested’" all the grapes, and the squirrels "harvested" about half of the tomatoes. This year, I have enough tomato seeds to start my own tomato cartel.

39. Cindy Stevens DIY on March 4, 2021 at 10:52 pm

Lavender.. do you treat the roots from a rot that affects so many lavender plants? If you do what do you use.. I do organic gardening and have had 20 lavender plants at one time with about 5 plants not making is due to the root issue. I dont want to add harsh chemicals.. would love great advice…

40. Ferenc Fajkusz on March 4, 2021 at 10:53 pm

Having a homestead, or a small scale farm is about the life style and not about the economics. Why? The infrastructure is just way to expensive to set up and maintain for a small scale so it only makes itself paid for over generations. But if the life style that you are looking for and to eat what you produce and to know what you eat and not relying on governmental policies and stuff while surrounded by nature, animals, then boy oh boy it is worth the investment. You just gonna enjoy a different aspect of life. So just enjoy whatever you enjoy! Just don’t do drugs, that’s still bad.;))

41. KarlGPhoto on March 4, 2021 at 10:55 pm

We love watching your videos! Where did you get that great fire pit?

42. BC Lewis on March 4, 2021 at 10:55 pm

Having been a year from the making of this video, were you able to control the weeds using the cardboard/wood chip method?

43. Brenda Johnson on March 4, 2021 at 10:56 pm

Thanks for taking the music away. Much better! ๐Ÿ™‚

44. Brenda Johnson on March 4, 2021 at 11:01 pm

How do you root rosemary?

45. Katrina Lewis on March 4, 2021 at 11:01 pm

what kind of dog is that?

46. Phathiswa Moyo on March 4, 2021 at 11:02 pm

Hi Mellisa. Great video. Don’t you have snake problems in your yard?

47. Valerie Castleberry on March 4, 2021 at 11:05 pm

How do you store your produce

48. wizard1399 on March 4, 2021 at 11:05 pm

If you want to see a true blessing from that elderberry bush, wait till the 5th year to harvest it. It may look like it can be harvested in earlier years, but some patience will give you great returns.

49. William Lopez on March 4, 2021 at 11:05 pm

Camera person breathing heavy is very creepy

50. A B on March 4, 2021 at 11:05 pm

How big of a garden do you need to feed a family of 4(mostly vegetables)?