8 Keys to Growing in Winter in an Unheated Greenhouse (Hoop House)

Today I share our 8 keys to growing in winter in an unheated greenhouse. Though there are other methods that also work well, I’ll focus specifically on what we do.

“Four Season Harvest” by Eliot Coleman: http://amzn.to/2a7jV9R
“The Winter Harvest Handbook” by Eliot Coleman: http://amzn.to/2ahjPiR
“The Year-Round Vegetable Gardener” by Niki Jabour: http://amzn.to/2a7ksbJ
6 mil Greenhouse Plastic: http://amzn.to/2a7jxIl

If you shop on Amazon, you can support OYR simply by clicking this link (bookmark it too) before shopping: http://www.amazon.com/?tag=oneya-20

1) Grow with the Season 0:16
2) Grow in the Sun 1:00
3) Grow Under Cover 1:37
4) Grow in the Ground 2:30
5) Grow in Sucession 2:59
6) Vent to Avoid Overheating 3:40
7) Water Only When Needed 4:59
8) Don’t Harvest Greens When They’re Frozen 5:37

Crops we’re growing now for a winter harvest:

Under One Layer of Protection

Egyptian Walking Onions
Endive
Garlic Chives
Georgia Collards
Giant Red Mustard Greens
Italian Dandelion Greens
Lettuce (Black Seeded Simpson)
Lettuce (Romaine)
Mache
Minutina
Mustard Greens
Parsley
Perpetual Spinach
Fordhook Giant Swiss Chard
Red Veined Sorrel
Spinach
Tatsoi
Tree Collards
Vates Kale

OYR is all about growing a lot of food on a little land using sustainable organic methods, while keeping costs and labor at a minimum. Emphasis is placed on improving soil quality with compost and mulch. No store-bought fertilizers, soil amendments, pesticides, compost activators, etc. are used.

Hoop House Build: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLApXYvbprElxOaGPGhTZIKALdP29uH2eY

1. Kosta Leotta on March 10, 2021 at 10:50 pm

I think your plants are dead and how did the snow get in to your green house don’t you have a tarp

2. New World Garden Tour on March 10, 2021 at 10:50 pm

fabulous thanks

3. Donna Leveron on March 10, 2021 at 10:51 pm

Glad to see your kitty helping out, what would we do without them?

4. Mark PNW on March 10, 2021 at 10:52 pm

This was good timing, going to try winter gardening in the PNW, 60 miles north of Seattle.

5. Ce K on March 10, 2021 at 10:53 pm

I felt for the cat! I can’t ever trip without an audience either 🤓 thanks for the great information, I’m on two acres now and in student mode! For the winter, looking forward to putting all this knowledge into practice come spring. Blessings to you and your garden

6. Amethystic95 on March 10, 2021 at 10:54 pm

So glad I stumbled across this video!
    I live in an area that teeters between zones 3 and 4, and I want to find a way to cultivate perennials that might otherwise not survive the winters here, like blueberry plants. I don’t even care about whether I can grow plants during the winter; I just want them to be alive when spring comes!
    It’s definitely colder up here, but hopefully your tips will still come in handy.

7. Branden Visser on March 10, 2021 at 10:56 pm

How many hours of sun do you get in your hoophouse in the winter?

8. Jay Harry on March 10, 2021 at 10:57 pm

Hi, thank you for sharing your passion. What brand of pvc sheet do you use to cover the greenhouse? How long it can last? Mine is last only few month that I bought from HomeDepot 6mil 20×100’. Thanks you

9. Hilt Tilt on March 10, 2021 at 10:58 pm

So even in the greenhouse the ground can to a degree and it won’t harm the plants?

10. Jim Jones on March 10, 2021 at 10:59 pm

Big

11. timothy harris on March 10, 2021 at 10:59 pm

1 Grow with the Season
    2 Grow with the Sun
    3 Grow under Cover
    4 Grow in the Ground
    5 Grow in Succession
    6 Vent to Avoid Overheating
    7 Water Minamilly
    8 Dont Harvest Frozen Greens
    Best of luck everyone great video

12. Kaitte Murry on March 10, 2021 at 11:00 pm

What zone are you in.. can you over winter basil and other herbs in a hoophouse

13. Nexus on March 10, 2021 at 11:01 pm

Thank you so much for including centigrade, it’s the only thing I’m metric on 😊🙏. Awesome video and channel. I’ll need to rewatch this a couple of times. Your hoop house is beautiful and so well kept 😊

14. AA Home Gardening on March 10, 2021 at 11:01 pm

Lovely information as usual
    Can you do a favour and subscribe to my channel as well please
    That would help me a lot
    Thanks

15. Hidden Blessings Homestead on March 10, 2021 at 11:02 pm

Thank you we are trying to get the hang of using our greenhouse in all seasons, and I found your video helpful. I am subscribed now.

16. Brownbluegreen on March 10, 2021 at 11:02 pm

Love your videos very helpful. I just bought a poly carbonate greenhouse and am looking for someone who knows when I should start perennial seeds and veggie seedlings to sell May 24 weekend here in Ontario Canada? Beginning of April?

17. Beauty Boss University -Business success training. on March 10, 2021 at 11:08 pm

Thanks for sharing

18. Kaitte Murry on March 10, 2021 at 11:09 pm

What zone are you in

19. Two Turtle Garden & Outdoors on March 10, 2021 at 11:10 pm

I am learning from your experiences Patrick I have started my broccoli two weeks ago for my Wintergarden and I am starting some of the lettuces now I’m just looking at what varieties that would be good here in eastern Ontario our climate is pretty much identical to yours in Chicago

20. The Adhd Gardener on March 10, 2021 at 11:12 pm

Super informative that I didnt get from other videos..building a greenhouse now (almost done). The plastic wont be permanent cuz I’m using my cattle panel as a trellis in summer so the extra layer of plastic would def be a help..in zone 6b

21. Paul Swarthout on March 10, 2021 at 11:14 pm

Thank you. I’m new to this idea of growing over the winter. My wife and I bought an inexpensive 5′ x 5′ x 6′ greenhouse with a polypropylene PE cover to get started with. But the more I learn, the less I know. The only ventilation that’s available in my greenhouse is to roll-up the door, so I’ve added an electric ventilation system that will exchange the inside air every 12 seconds, once the temperature gets above 85 F (29 C). I’ve got a small amount of water (10 gallons) to store some of the heat, but I don’t think it’s enough to make a difference. But there’s a new product that I’ve seen, perhaps you’ve heard of it, or know where to buy some….bioPCM. I’ve got my north wall insulated with a double layer of canvas, but I think replacing it with bioPCM would be a better solution. Or at least putting the bioPCM inside the canvas so it’s exposed to the sunlight.

22. Shrimpy Australian Shepherd on March 10, 2021 at 11:15 pm

Will watch again when I have house 🙂 very helpful. Thank you so much

23. Jeffery Mitchell on March 10, 2021 at 11:15 pm

This is exactly what I needed to see today. Thanks

24. Karen Stewart on March 10, 2021 at 11:16 pm

I enjoyed this very much. It is hard to find greenhouse tips that work in Canada!

25. RAMON TITO on March 10, 2021 at 11:16 pm

Hi whow can I keep the temperature warm thank you

26. Protect the children on March 10, 2021 at 11:24 pm

We’ve just moved and I’m waiting to see where the sun is here with our new surroundings. I watched this b4 but came back for a refresher to show my husband exactly how I want mine to be done. Thank you.

27. sheraleethomas on March 10, 2021 at 11:25 pm

Such great information. Watching again to learn even more. Wish you were still posting!

28. sheraleethomas on March 10, 2021 at 11:26 pm

Hi! Missing your videos! Will you be making more some time?

29. Rupert Baresall on March 10, 2021 at 11:28 pm

30. Dana Malcova on March 10, 2021 at 11:29 pm

LOVE your cat!!! 🐱 – and the vids 😉 This one is FANTASTIC!!! Never grew anything in freezing winter – will definitelly gove it a try! Thank you so much for the amazing handy tips!!!

31. Knuckle Head Aquaponics on March 10, 2021 at 11:29 pm

I am in Zone 7B 5 deg F to 10 deg F. Do I need to heat or cool my green house. I plan on doing a Aquaponics greenhouse.

32. Dejavu Psychic Speaks on March 10, 2021 at 11:29 pm

Very helpful!

33. clarissamiles on March 10, 2021 at 11:29 pm

Thank you for your info! My son and I are growing in a low tunnel with 6 mil greenhouse plastic! I didn’t even think about doubling up.

34. Bash Halow on March 10, 2021 at 11:30 pm

Excellent video. You get right to the point and not a lot of chit chat. You’re also very knowledgeable. Great job!

35. g cole on March 10, 2021 at 11:31 pm

Thank you for the great video! I am having trouble with pests in my fall garden. Do you have any suggestions or ideas to help?

36. TheTrock121 on March 10, 2021 at 11:33 pm

I did a Fall Planting for the first time this year in an open raised bed. The Carrots and Kolrabi did well and don’t seem to mind freezing. I just push back the snow to harvest some – also have some Beets that seem to keep better outside than in the garage. I would love to build a hoop house, but in the meantime some veg have extreme cold hardiness.

37. roy hoco on March 10, 2021 at 11:36 pm

good video
    venting in zone 8a – I installed 4 automatic temperature operated foundation vents in the front and back of my greenhouse, down low in front – up high in back. these open above 45 degrees and allow air to flow through the green house. I also have a small fan on a timer that comes on in the afternoon to help with venting on warmer winter days. I heat with a timer activated ceramic heater on cold nights. I monitor 10 day forecasts and set the timers accordingly.

38. Stacy K. on March 10, 2021 at 11:38 pm

Extremely helpful. We are building a greenhouse from old windows and using raised beds inside so I can grow year round. I definitely would have overwatered.

39. Auto Worldzz on March 10, 2021 at 11:40 pm

Nice and creative Videos,I can see A lot of thought has been put into the content and editing of the video, This is really my favorite channel.:) .🌴🌴🌴excellent 👍👌👍👌👍 🌴🌴🌴 🌴🌴🌴 🌴🌴🌴 🌴🌴🌴 Pastoria Virginia 2,020

40. Joe Stro on March 10, 2021 at 11:42 pm

Thank you for details! Looking forward to move videos.

41. Gina Friend on March 10, 2021 at 11:43 pm

Nice setup. Good information. Thanks

42. Steven Feil on March 10, 2021 at 11:43 pm

You mentioned a video about tracking temperature but did not link to it?

43. Amy Samida on March 10, 2021 at 11:43 pm

Great video. Thank you. Going to get some stuff started tomorrow after watching this since we’ve just ordered the greenhouse. Looking forward to watching more of your videos.

44. me riding on March 10, 2021 at 11:43 pm

how deep are your beds? Are they insulated?

45. A Hickethier on March 10, 2021 at 11:43 pm

is it too late in green bay to plant anything for under a few cold frames? (it’s oct 3)

46. retusaforce on March 10, 2021 at 11:44 pm

This was very educational. How can 66 people not appreciate it?

47. Saharin Cuker on March 10, 2021 at 11:44 pm

interesting points ,if anyone else trying to find out
    university of hawaii aquaponics
    try Proutklarton Surviving Instruction Plan (do a search on google ) ? Ive heard some great things about it and my partner got amazing results with it.

48. Raylin Gomen on March 10, 2021 at 11:45 pm

It is winter and we have several inches of snow, I didn’t get to planting a ton in my greenhouse in the fall, can I start plants inside and move them into the greenhouse once they are more mature? Obviously hardening them off would be necessary so it wasn’t a big shock, but would this be a good way to get more going before spring?

49. Mildred Arnold on March 10, 2021 at 11:46 pm

Are you ok?? Have not seen you online for a very long time. Miss your video’s!!!

50. Ryan Daffinee on March 10, 2021 at 11:47 pm

Have a hoop house. with mini hoop inside. self wicking pots. 2 nights at 19F in new england and all my big squash and cucumber died. some greens and carrots look bad. I got lettuce and chard left