How to Grow an Indoor Survival Garden

Growing our own fresh fruits and vegetables is one of my favorite pastimes. Sometimes growing your own food is a requirement for survival and not just a pleasant hobby.

Tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, herbs, lettuce, and greens can all be grown inside of your home with a little bit of knowledge, the right supplies, and some tender loving care.

My adventure in growing food indoors began this year when the pandemic hit, and I realized that I needed to up my game when it came to growing our own food. I am not new to the home production scene, but suddenly I was driven to make food production more than a hobby.

In this video, we review the basics of indoor gardening, setting production goals, and give you a feel for our progress growing food inside of our home.

Learn more about growing a survival garden in this article:

How to Grow an Indoor Survival Garden

How to Grow an Indoor Survival Garden

You may also find these posts interesting.

How to Grow Fresh Greens Inside Your Home All Year Long

How to Grow Fresh Greens Inside Your Home All Year Long

Inexpensive Grow Lights to Jump Start Your Garden

Inexpensive Grow Lights to Jump Start Your Garden

Products that we recommend:

Trinity 5-Tier Indoor or Outdoor Wire Shelf – https://homedepot.sjv.io/DooMy
Fluorescent Residential Shop Light – https://homedepot.sjv.io/2DD77
Grow lights should be at least 2500 lumens and between 5000K to 6500K – https://amzn.to/2Kx2Mue
Surge protector – https://amzn.to/3avbXGl
Automatic timer – https://amzn.to/2VC50iB.
Neptune’s Harvest Fish Fertilizer https://amzn.to/3ccjE6N –
Dr. Earth Organic 5 Tomato, Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer – https://amzn.to/2RJ1Ruw
Jobe’s Organics Vegetable & Tomato Fertilizer Spikes – https://amzn.to/2ZTS49c
Miracle-Gro Performance Organics Edibles Plant Nutrition Granules – https://amzn.to/3mzA6CI

Thanks for being part of the solution!

TheProvidentPrepper.org is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This site also participates in other affiliate programs and is compensated for referring traffic and business to these companies.

1. Hippie Homesteader Wannabe on March 12, 2021 at 10:57 pm

Just beautiful! Thanks for the great tips. Have you thought about trying a hydroponic system? That’s something I want to try. I have grown lots of sprouts. Had less success with microgreens, but I did have some. And I regrow anything from the store that has the capability. Sometimes I buy a turnip just for the potential to regrow turnip greens. Plus I like the taste a turnip adds to a pot of vegetable soup. Best of luck to you!

2. Star Glitter on March 12, 2021 at 10:59 pm

I wanted to share this video on my Facebook page for Indoor Gardening on a budget. But I cannot figure out how. I can only share it on my basic page. Could I have a link to share so that people can see your video for tips? Enjoyed your video. Bright & cheerful!

3. Huw Kelvin Morgan on March 12, 2021 at 11:01 pm

======== May i ask a question ========== Have you calculated how much ( all ) those’s shop lights cost to run per month i estimated $90 is this correct ? ( per month )

4. Brittany Elaine on March 12, 2021 at 11:02 pm

You can get sunlight light bulbs on Amazon

5. Guten Yardening on March 12, 2021 at 11:04 pm

Hello from zone 5. We love growing throughout the winter! Fresh cherry tomatoes in the winter is priceless.

6. Carrie M on March 12, 2021 at 11:05 pm

You are growing in plastic that is not food safe….doesn’t it worry you…..just asking not criticizing……😄

7. Wascaly Wabbit on March 12, 2021 at 11:05 pm

Whoa… Hold up… Im gonna grow vining squash,cucumber,beans and tomato around 3 of the walls and a zucchini plant as the centerpiece of a 2x4x8 cabinet split into two tiers.. that’s just planting the top… The bottom is going lettuce,onions spinach and some micro greens..
    A good pair of Clippers..
    A good training.
    And general hydroponic 3 part
    For me.. A single person… Plenty of room to grow it all..

8. Debra Jones on March 12, 2021 at 11:08 pm

You are so encouraging. I’m thankful for you. Great information as usual!

9. The Adhd Gardener on March 12, 2021 at 11:09 pm

Good job..anyone can grow some veg indoors💯🌱

10. Floreypottery on March 12, 2021 at 11:10 pm

Wanna grow tomatoes indoor the determine tiny Tim etc plants put out a lot of tomatoes theirs a few mini sized plants getting ready to start some again mine got maybe 16 inches tall

11. chrompoised on March 12, 2021 at 11:11 pm

This is so smart. I have two entire bookshelves who are empty because I apparently don’t own enough stuff 😂 an indoor garden would be the perfect project!

12. Jacob Fleener on March 12, 2021 at 11:12 pm

I would like to grow inside but electricity is very expensive in my area so it would be diminishing returns for me.

13. Cynthia Jones on March 12, 2021 at 11:13 pm

Something else for you to consider.
    If you die today will you go to heaven? Have you ever lied, stolen, used God’s name as a curse word (O-M-G)? According to God’s law, you’re guilty, your headed for hell, ignorance will not be an excuse… But wait, God loves you, he made a way out for you, God’s son Jesus died paying for your sin.

God so loved the world that he gave his only son that whoever believes in him will not die but have everlasting life. John 3:16

God is warning the world. End Time prophesies are jumping off the pages of the Bible, plagues, violence, scoffers, government control, earthquakes, fires, floods, people will be lovers of themselves, money, lovers of pleasure rather than God, evil will be called good and good called evil, sexual immorality rampant adultery, fornication, abuse… the ultimate in child abuse mommies killing their babies in child sacrifice (abortion), World leaders are prepping for a One-World order, government, religion (please don’t take a number on your forehead or right hand, read Revelation a number means no heaven, and there’s only one alternative) The government is also prepping to have you believe that UFO’s are real… Soon the antichrist will come and fix everything, everyone will love him, he will deceive many… then the tribulation will start, life on earth will be horrific. Today if you hear God whispering to your heart please respond before it’s too late. Say a humble prayer, pour your heart out to God, receive Jesus as your savior, believe God raised Jesus from the dead, and repent of your sins.

14. Cherokee Rose on March 12, 2021 at 11:14 pm

That is just like mine. Your garden is amazing…You have a much larger amount but I am alone and I grow enough for me and my 2 dogs, they love greens. I want to expand. I grow on shelves and in window sills. I grow Tatsoi, Chinese cabbage, swiss chard, perpetual spinach, cherry tomatoes, Gynura procumbens, water spinach, tree collards, and more. I knew about cutting tomatoes but never thought to take cutting of my Armenian cucumbers.. interesting. I have 4 Aero gardens that work nice. I have an entire room but not full… I grew potatoes in a small bucket I got 3 great potatoes. Thanks for being an inspiration to do more. I have a huge outdoor winter garden that give me a lot also… I also harvest edible weeds that grow all over my yard like chickweed and purple dead nettles. Thank you….

15. xXFoodxslayerx2000Xx on March 12, 2021 at 11:14 pm

Is this ideal for people that want to start gardening with no prior knowledge also what do you recommend before starting one

16. hildeberto carreiro on March 12, 2021 at 11:16 pm

Use mirrors cut electricity cost

17. Renee Smith on March 12, 2021 at 11:16 pm

🥰

18. sebastien smarth on March 12, 2021 at 11:16 pm

Praise God my sister, you are doing the LORDs work preparing thise that are watching and waiting for it is written:

"And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name." Revelation 13:17

19. Garden Things-Jill on March 12, 2021 at 11:16 pm

Those little flies are usually because there’s too much water. For lighting, you can get those shop lights that you screw bulbs into. You can get converters so that you can use 2 or 4 bulbs in each socket and then you use LED daylight bulbs. Not expensive to do. An added benefit is they clamp on wherever you need them and they rotate.

20. Michael Pallini on March 12, 2021 at 11:18 pm

Holy Methlab Batman!

21. Ten Lamps on March 12, 2021 at 11:20 pm

Sprinkle cinnamon on top of soil around plants to get rid of bugs

22. Beth Young on March 12, 2021 at 11:20 pm

great

23. Mark Reaves on March 12, 2021 at 11:21 pm

6:45 Don’t tell me what to do, I’ll grow whatever I want indoors lol (I have a 15×15 spare room that is literally not being used for anything that would do well for this, and the cost of electricity is not a big limiting factor from my calculations).

24. Aleksandar Mistopoljac on March 12, 2021 at 11:25 pm

10+

25. Carolyn Vines on March 12, 2021 at 11:26 pm

I love how wonderfully informative this video is.

Are you concerned at all with the chemical content of the containers you’re using? We have avoided an indoor garden because of the bpa and other chemicals in most plastic containers.

26. G B on March 12, 2021 at 11:26 pm

I’m wondering if that plastic is safe for food growing?

27. Cheddy Do it on March 12, 2021 at 11:26 pm

Taking plants in and out everyday could stress them out

28. Dave Bezo on March 12, 2021 at 11:27 pm

Check out @farmersaredope on instagram for tips and tricks on indoor/outdoor gardens and remember always support your local growers #staylocal #supportyourfarms

29. Matthew Bainbridge on March 12, 2021 at 11:27 pm

This is awesome! Ill also recommend (if you havent tried it) foraging! You would be surprised how many tasty foods you can find nearby with the required knowledge, even your backyard is bound to have a few, like dandelions, mallow, purslane, etc.

30. icecreamlady driver on March 12, 2021 at 11:31 pm

This is a great idea. How is the garden doing today? Please let us know as I have thought about it but didn’t know there were people already doing this.

31. red eye on March 12, 2021 at 11:31 pm

lol blackout good luck

32. dan wheeler on March 12, 2021 at 11:32 pm

I love your videos, I love your passion and expertise. Where I get hung up is with prepping you are concerned about survival (i.e prolonging your life), yet you use the cheapest of Chinese BPA materials, known cancer causing carcinogens to hold your food. I get that money is tight for everyone, but the cost for your whole set up why not spend a few more dollars and get something BPA free? Its like going for a mile long jog and then having a cigarettes’ at the end of the jog.

33. rltreasure on March 12, 2021 at 11:32 pm

Mold?

34. A sister in Christ on March 12, 2021 at 11:32 pm

Would it be better to use a power strip or surge protector for the shop lights?

35. Kelley Jerred on March 12, 2021 at 11:34 pm

BABYPOOLS i have baby pools even though I have a garden. So I get these baby pools out of peoples trash which is better. I grew lots of peppers.

36. spirit on March 12, 2021 at 11:36 pm

h.e.p.a filter your garden. Chemicals in the wind.

37. Andre D on March 12, 2021 at 11:36 pm

How would you have electricity in an emergency situation?

38. montedreams1 on March 12, 2021 at 11:36 pm

Hello, Thank you for sharing. Could you please tell me what you are using for pests indoors? Have a wonderful day! Monte

39. Milaiza Libscan on March 12, 2021 at 11:36 pm

hello. Can you tell me where did you buy the trellis for vines, please?i want to buy solid kind of trellis for vines

40. K It on March 12, 2021 at 11:37 pm

I love your enthusiasm, it’s contagious!

41. Travis Bohanan on March 12, 2021 at 11:38 pm

Get actual LED grow lights… they use less energy, and grow better plants.

42. willofdodge1 on March 12, 2021 at 11:40 pm

Electricity cost?

43. Brandon Bee on March 12, 2021 at 11:41 pm

Vegan prepping with fruits and veggies is the best prepping. Gotta be Healthy in the apocalypse.

44. Tricia Brooks on March 12, 2021 at 11:41 pm

What are you growing so you can make your bread. (In the sandwich)

45. x X on March 12, 2021 at 11:43 pm

I grew organic blue oyster mushrooms from a little kit box but I let them grow to long and they became a little hard and dry even though I watered them plenty. Still a fun experience… if you do it right and know how to make a sterile substrate you can have a constant supply of mushrooms! Only thing is that for survival, you burn more calories eating mushrooms than they give you, so typically they are avoided unless you’re just trying to have the flavor.

46. UNDERSTANDING PEACE on March 12, 2021 at 11:43 pm

47. Shelley Watson on March 12, 2021 at 11:44 pm

❤💋💐

48. Tiffany Patton on March 12, 2021 at 11:46 pm

KRATKEY works for us. We grow greens, lettuce, peppers, peas, green beans, eggplant and corn inside and it’s freaking awesome.

49. BlackCanvas AT on March 12, 2021 at 11:49 pm

I will do that too in 2021. But with a closed shelf.

50. Tiger Lilly on March 12, 2021 at 11:49 pm

Thank you. I’ve got a garden out doors set up for next year but the problem is the long winter months… so I bought a small green house that I can put in the basement which is warm because I’m really tired of eating GMO crap veggies from the store… or organic that I’m not entirely sure is organic… and I love the idea of growing grains… spinach and beetroot (which the greens are great to add with the spinach for salad btw) – a question — what do you think of strawberries or raspberries?