5 Super-Early Vegetables to Start in Winter

💛 📖 See the GrowVeg book here: https://www.growveg.com/growveg-the-beginners-guide-to-easy-gardening.aspx.
Winter can be a frustrating time for us gardeners. If you’re missing some fresh homegrown produce, we’ve got you covered…

When choosing plants that can be started early, follow our simple criteria to ensure you start harvesting in just a few weeks.

In this video we identify 5 vegetables that you can start growing now and demonstrate how to get the best return from these early season crops.

If you love growing your own food, why not take a look at our online Garden Planner which is available from several major websites and seed suppliers:
and many more…

To receive more gardening videos subscribe to our channel here: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=GrowVeg

1. Tito's Training Tips on March 14, 2021 at 10:29 pm

Good stuff. Thank you

2. Cole van dais on March 14, 2021 at 10:29 pm

Thanks

3. Keshav Vishwakarma on March 14, 2021 at 10:30 pm

Thanks for explaining sir.

4. Jan N on March 14, 2021 at 10:31 pm

What’s the best organic mulch to use on vegetable beds to avoid weeds ? Please advice

5. Nancy Webb on March 14, 2021 at 10:32 pm

I have 4×8 raised beds. I use hog wire to make covers and can use plastic, row covers or netting depending on the need.

6. DjRenaArms Speaks on March 14, 2021 at 10:33 pm

Thank you!

7. Julie Gogola on March 14, 2021 at 10:35 pm

My first comment hadn’t mentioned that I want to start my early crops in my greenhouse BUT inside a small greenhouse/shelter INSIDE my BIG greenhouse, NOT, in the ground. I can keep THAT at a low of 39F. I use incandescent Christmas lights to add heat, they go off when it reaches about 49F. I have a pipe heater plug in device that comes on when it gets about 38F. I also have a "thermocube" that comes on when it goes down to 35F and most likely will turn off once it gets a bit warmer than 35F.

8. GFK GFK on March 14, 2021 at 10:38 pm

4 degrees Celsius is mid summer for me. Lol great video though. Thank you

9. Leo Walsh on March 14, 2021 at 10:39 pm

Great vid, as usual. Practical and inspirational, a rare combo. Sad to say, we live in a condo so cannot have any sort of row cover outside. BUT, I grow small takeout-trays of pea and radish microgreens under the grow-lights we use to start early spring lettuce, kale, and spinach. I’m also going to try starting several plugs of peas inside during late February to get a month’s jump.

10. Lorna Maza Photography on March 14, 2021 at 10:40 pm

This is a very nice video I love it!

11. Shaken Grain on March 14, 2021 at 10:41 pm

Ooooh all the cold zone growers below talking of avoiding slugs. Here in Southeast USA Zone 8A, fire ants are the big pain in the behind. Don’t know anything but poisons to get rid of them. Very tricky around food garden beds! But winter garden/greens/onions doing ok as the ants hibernate thru winter. Covers are needed here more for moth worm prevention on the greens than cold protection. It’s mid-January and I caught a moth trapped under my net just last week. Collards, multiple kale varieties, salad lettuces chard, radishes, turnips, carrots, all doing well mostly without cover. Could not germinate spinach – I think it was bad seeds or else wrong temp, but everything else did ok. Pea shoots not known around here, but from watching here, I can’t wait to try! They sound delicious for salads? Can’t wait for tomatoes, cucumbers and squashes! Good while yet, and February looks colder/more frost than Dec/Jan had. On the bright side, we’re all halfway to spring. Good luck all, and never give up 🙂

12. Stacey Here We Grow Again on March 14, 2021 at 10:44 pm

Great video🌻 Thanks for sharing!!

13. Jacqueline Mann on March 14, 2021 at 10:44 pm

How do I get your garden planner?

14. Charlie Tallman on March 14, 2021 at 10:44 pm

Most years Spinach will over winter here in Indiana. 20 inches of snow on top of it this year and it is doing fine.

15. layton7430 on March 14, 2021 at 10:46 pm

Subscribed, I’ve only recently started to think about a raised bed for vegetables that I can eat all year round, seasonal, thoughts today were mainly on protecting against frost, I’m thinking heating cables? Poly tunnel as well for protection, any recommended vegetables? I want potatoes, carrots, sprouts, cabbage and onion as the minimum and anything else?

16. Pier Luigi Redigolo on March 14, 2021 at 10:46 pm

17. Lucky Penny on March 14, 2021 at 10:48 pm

☀️☀️☀️advise in grow lights to buy?

18. Elvira Florence on March 14, 2021 at 10:48 pm

So, we can farm anytime, just use all technology like solar things or anything

19. Quattour tempora on March 14, 2021 at 10:50 pm

I put in leeks and also onions which will be ready in Spring. Also you can leave potatoes in ground over winter and pick as needed. Chard and mustard leaves are other good veg leaves to try as well as raddish

20. melvin mcmanus on March 14, 2021 at 10:52 pm

THANKS , GROWVEG ……

21. Anne Norris on March 14, 2021 at 10:52 pm

I want to know where you got that cabinet behind you? What is it called?

22. Horta e Vida Simples on March 14, 2021 at 10:55 pm

Seu canal é muito bom, parabéns e sua horta tá muito bonita, tenho um canal da uma olhada e se increve pra ajudar

23. 1890 Media on March 14, 2021 at 10:55 pm

If you don’t have containers you can use chicken wire below the surface to deter mice. Thank for the viddy!

24. Got Pho? on March 14, 2021 at 10:55 pm

I like your video. But God dam please stop advertising about your garden planner. I could careless

25. Marias Have on March 14, 2021 at 10:58 pm

My peas wont grow in the windowsill.. could it be lack of sun?

26. Murad Miriyev on March 14, 2021 at 10:59 pm

Hi. ı use the product at the link below to protect my plants that do not tolerate frost in winter. this product is great for my work, so ı recommend it to you. https://amzn.to/36o8maU (ı know english very poor so ı apologize in advance that there may be errors in sentences ^_^ )

27. Annemarie May on March 14, 2021 at 11:03 pm

Thank you. I live in southern coastal Australia. No Frost’s but we basically get 6 months of winter, the sudden hot summer for 6 months and hardly any spring or autumn. So you need to plan planting time very carefully to ensure some veggies don’t bolt to seed if you plant them too late eg start of summer, when they look like they are doing well, but stuff like silver beet, lettuce etc quickly goes to seed before you get to pick any to eat. So, finding some clever way to germinate seeds in late winter can avoid this problem. And your techniques help. But there also a few I decided which work if you do not have a cold frame and such useful things. Eg I used a few tricks I devised, involving normal household things, like aluminium foil, empty glass or plastic bottles, old electric blankets which still work etc. Use your imagination and ingenuity. I like to plant crops of broad beans in winter, ready for early summer harvesting, mainly because I am country raised and expect to be able to just go out and pick straight from nature whatever I want to eat, instead of enduring the yuk of "shopping", people, supermarkets, checkouts etc and now, worse still in Australia, no plastic bags to carry your shopping, no service, just automated checkouts. One of the things I like to walk around to just pick and eat are raw broadbeans, ripening nice and tender and juicy, in early summer, if planted in mid Winter. Just ensure there is enough sunlight where you plant them. No cold frames or special insulation required. Straight into the ground, unless it is frozen. Germination is aided by soaking seeds overnight in like warm water before planting ie similar to the principle that applies to growing many Australian bush native plants, many of who need to be soaked in boiling water a while to enable them to germinate. This is to replicate their conditions growing wild in the bush, where they need bushfires to burn through the ground so they can then germinate or they need the heat. It’s great knowing some of these clever horticultural tricks.

28. Seamus on March 14, 2021 at 11:04 pm

Great video. And thank you for saying the temperatures in Fahrenheit and Celsius, just for us Yanks!

29. Tin Whistle on March 14, 2021 at 11:07 pm

I grew spinach in July, an the remaining are still green outside by cold weather while many species have lost their leaves

30. Julie Gogola on March 14, 2021 at 11:08 pm

Your voice tells me that you are in the Uk, and most likely at LEAST a zone 7 or 8 and I am in the USA in zone 6a. I have a greenhouse, BUT, I will need to add some heat to start plants even in March. I do wonder that IF I keep a small mini greenhouse at a minimum of 39F, could I start some of the cool weather plants that you have shown here? My GH will be warm most of the time, BUT, may get down to 39F on the coldest nights. I have had a zone 7 winter so far, BUT, it COULD change. BUT, our last frost date is about a week after Mothers Day or May 17th ish. Lasy years we had our last frost MUCH sooner, BUT, you still must wait since you never know when it MAY be a later frost or earlier frost, sorry, I see this video is about 5 years old.

31. Daniel McCann on March 14, 2021 at 11:08 pm

Great video, thanks.

32. John Woodhouse on March 14, 2021 at 11:11 pm

Peas are 4 inches now

33. Partiesbyp on March 14, 2021 at 11:12 pm

Great info…lot of tips I can use. Thx!

34. Geri Reski on March 14, 2021 at 11:12 pm

I have a greenhouse made from a single car garage. Have been growing radish, peas, lettuce, carrots, spinach, green onions, cilantro, broccoli, celery, and herbs. Wonderful flavor, no pesticides, just home grown goodness! We just received 33” of snow this week and greenhouse has a small heater and I use Temp Stick to monitor inside temperature. This spring will use a small AC unit to cool down the GH because it can be very warm inside. Zone 7, mountains of AZ.

35. Kip Strange on March 14, 2021 at 11:13 pm

Just sowing my brassicas today but it’s cold in Scotland.

36. Donna Kincade on March 14, 2021 at 11:13 pm

Love the accent my friend

37. Steve Wiseman on March 14, 2021 at 11:16 pm

During the winter I use a composting enclosure to Hot Compost in my Poly Tunnel, the surface temperature can exceed 20 Deg C and and I can place pots and trays on the surface of the compostr

38. A Rhodes on March 14, 2021 at 11:17 pm

Don’t suppose you have a fix to stop deer eating the plants. They have found tasty snacks this winter and totally trashed my bird netting 😆

39. Legend0222 on March 14, 2021 at 11:17 pm

We had a garden when i was growing up but this will be the first time i have one by myself, thanks for all the tips!

40. GloriaHathor on March 14, 2021 at 11:18 pm

Thanks!

41. Robert Payne on March 14, 2021 at 11:18 pm

I’m going to try using a large clear plastic bag, cut allong two sides, to make the plastic cover of a polytunnel.

42. Suzanna Temov on March 14, 2021 at 11:19 pm

Thanks for giving us the US and Australian measurements and weather temperatures.

43. william bennett on March 14, 2021 at 11:20 pm

looking forward to trying the garden planner

44. SML on March 14, 2021 at 11:23 pm

Who’s ready for the 2021 season 😎

45. Green Media on March 14, 2021 at 11:25 pm

Subscrubed your channel.. please subscribe my channel too

46. DatCamp G on March 14, 2021 at 11:25 pm

Very Nice ~ Thank You! 🌱

47. ugh gross on March 14, 2021 at 11:25 pm

"Protect them from the cold"
    Me in southern california: Cold? Who’s he?

48. Hilt Tilt on March 14, 2021 at 11:26 pm

Plan to put my fruiting tomatoes and other veggies growing under grow light into the ground after the last frost. I’ve been growing indoor this will be the first time I’ve had property to grow outdoors on besides a patio! Hyped

49. Steven Cameron on March 14, 2021 at 11:28 pm

iv got far too much concerns over what is going into growing food in the Global food chain.https://youtu.be/wXyKHgH_4t0

50. Basil Mc on March 14, 2021 at 11:28 pm

If you pick the lower leaves of the pea shoots, will they still fruit later?
    Does this work for broad beans? Thanks for the video!