Garden Tools Rack – How To Build An OldSchool Organizer

Easy shop project for home or school : build a garden tools shelf to organize your tool shed, garage or basement. Watch how I turn a couple of salvage boards and some screws into a handy storage rack perfect for hanging large/long gardening tools out of the way.

Transcript provided for the hearing impaired:
Alright so today on Repairs101 I’m going to show you how I made this handy garden tool organizer out of a couple of boards and a handful of screws.
So I decided enough was enough and that I wasn’t going to store my garden tools in a garbage pail anymore. I still had a couple of salvage boards left and I cut some triangle braces out of scraps. Then I measured and marked to fit the gussets.
Use your speed square to draw parallel lines quickly. Next I found the points on that line to drill my holes.
You know, I chose to use the hole saw and table saw for this project because they make clean and uniform cuts.
You can do all the cutting for this project with a hand saw and a coping saw or with a jigsaw.
Normally I would use a more sophisticated joint like a dado or a mitre joint but for this I thought a simple butt joint clamped with glue and screws was exactly what we needed.
Clean up carpenter’s glue before it cures with a clean damp cloth.
Then I glued in all the gussets and drew them together using the woodscrews.
Always drill out holes before you drive in screws, otherwise you end up with pieces that won’t mate together, split wood and broken screws.
You see I put most of the evidence it’s salvaged wood here on the back where no one will ever see it.
Alright, thanks for watching and don’t forget to subscribe!

1. Kansas City Shuffle on March 14, 2021 at 10:45 pm

Any plans??

2. cosmo103 on March 14, 2021 at 10:46 pm

Thanks for the video.

3. Frank Gonzalez on March 14, 2021 at 10:47 pm

Thanks for this great Idea It came out really good just what I was looking for …

4. Nicholas Jude on March 14, 2021 at 10:48 pm

What kind of wood do u use ! cos i have mostly used plywood and the the normal plywood are quite dark and pricky and i see yours to be of a lighter shade a beige color ! +Repairs101 @Repairs101

5. Shiro Campos on March 14, 2021 at 10:50 pm

If you don’t mind me asking, how much space did you use between center to center of holes? Or to space the tools? Thanks in advance!

6. BD Ciimo on March 14, 2021 at 10:52 pm

LookS good, but couldn’t you get a jigsaw to do the cuttingnh work for that?

7. rahman Yb on March 14, 2021 at 10:52 pm

Hi can share the measurements of the holes and size of the board

8. Pam S on March 14, 2021 at 10:55 pm

Please pardon me if this is a stupid question but is there any place I can find actual instructions for how to build this? I think it’s fantastic but I’m a total newbie. Thank you

9. Greg Cremer on March 14, 2021 at 11:00 pm

Nice idea. I was searching the web for a tool holder and found your video. I’m definitely going to make my own and save some money. Great idea and video. Thanks!

10. Mary Beard on March 14, 2021 at 11:01 pm

no saw,  sunk.

11. Bob Anderson on March 14, 2021 at 11:01 pm

Ironically…. I had same idea in my mind and built a very similar unit like yours out of scrap as well. Weird…almost identical. I wanted to add this little tip. Since mine is perhaps a little deeper and can hang several tools in a slot…I added something to keep the rakes and shovels from getting bumped and perhaps falling out/down. I took small hinges and attached small blocks of wood that fit in slot and then hang a yardstick nearby. Then I take yardstick to push up block…place tool in slot…then use yardstick again to “flip” wood back into slot to keep tool from being bumped out. Works great!

12. steven vi on March 14, 2021 at 11:05 pm

Many thanks! I made an organizer based on your video and it worked perfectly. Tips such as using glue as also drilling the holes before screwing the screws were very useful. Greets!

13. Joe joe Brown on March 14, 2021 at 11:05 pm

fuck you

14. theshuman100 on March 14, 2021 at 11:05 pm

H
    Speed square

15. K vlogs on March 14, 2021 at 11:07 pm

Great video, bought 10 ft 1x 8 pine board today. You should include the dimensions of the triangles, size screws, and where you placed triangle braces on the board. Lettered messaging overlying the video with these so people know exact dimensions. Some of the questions I had were in comment section but please be more specific in future

16. Harlan Taylor on March 14, 2021 at 11:08 pm

U a Freemason?

17. Emiro Miranda on March 14, 2021 at 11:11 pm

Simple u-hooks will do

18. gtdodgeviper on March 14, 2021 at 11:12 pm

All you really need for cutting the board is just a jig saw.

19. Shelli on March 14, 2021 at 11:12 pm

No measurements provided 🙁

20. Hiren Patel on March 14, 2021 at 11:13 pm

21. Lass-in Angeles on March 14, 2021 at 11:14 pm

Simple and effective and very timely since I need to make one tomorrow. Organizing my garden shed and never thought of making something like this with my scrap wood. Instead I was counting how many hooks and brackets I had for the tools. This solves it. Many thanks!

22. Stuart Lee on March 14, 2021 at 11:15 pm

I have young grand kids!! The pitch fork and ax caught my attention immediately. Like your video! Likely be building a couple of these minus sharp or heavy tools on-board. The 16 lb maul in the axes will have to go in a special location.

23. Imrich Pinter on March 14, 2021 at 11:16 pm

LP

24. BigJimboSlade on March 14, 2021 at 11:16 pm

Thanks for the video. It was perfect for my first real project. I made some small mistakes, but practice makes perfect. Now my shed looks a lot more organized.

25. superholly on March 14, 2021 at 11:17 pm

I need this! haha don’t have the tools though 🙁

26. Tran The Clever on March 14, 2021 at 11:18 pm

I’ve been binge watching your channel all day. So talented and inspiring. 2:52

27. qzetu on March 14, 2021 at 11:19 pm

No miter and your blade is way too high. You are asking for a accident.

28. paulsjunkcars on March 14, 2021 at 11:21 pm

Great idea! Thanks

29. SEV7N BAITS on March 14, 2021 at 11:23 pm

I’ll be making me on day so pump to do it 💪

30. Shem Mac on March 14, 2021 at 11:25 pm

i think ill have to do something like this for my mess of garden tools

31. Aidan Gribbin on March 14, 2021 at 11:25 pm

excellent; i need and AM going to make at least three of these! im fed up with garden tools sprawling over the place and i just built a new garage. great timing! and many thanks.

32. Gary C. Mercer on March 14, 2021 at 11:28 pm

10K subs and you got game! Great video.

33. Repairs101 on March 14, 2021 at 11:31 pm

Fact: #Christmas is 2 WEEKS from #TODAY!
    Fact: #making one of these only takes a couple of hours.

34. Edmund Mendez on March 14, 2021 at 11:33 pm

That’s a nice project to do

35. irish89055 on March 14, 2021 at 11:35 pm

Brackets…
    Nicely done

36. Gary Odom on March 14, 2021 at 11:36 pm

I would recommend that the blade on your table saw be properly adjusted to extend no more than an 1/8" beyond the top of the material. Sawing with the blade extended at the height shown in the video is a very unsafe practice.

I have found that the process of placing or removing the tools sometimes causes the other tools to move. In fact, I have had one fall on me. To prevent that from happening again, I added a bit of trim on each side of the slots on the upper front edge of the board. Now the tools stay in place even when they are jostled about. In addition, I cut the board with slots into short sections and set them to the requirements of the width of the tool. A rake for instance is wider than a hoe or shovel and thus I was able to make best use of the space available. It does require additional support. but it also allows me to store more tools in the same space. You only need one per tool.set close to the slot.

On the second one I built, I fastened a strip of T-slot and used toilet bolts to secure the tool supports to the t-slot strip allowing me to adjust them as required. They simply slide left and right as required. The support holds steady without being fastened to the 2×4 since gravity works. Use plenty of screw in the T-slot to ensure it stays put.

37. Teddy Salad on March 14, 2021 at 11:36 pm

Wait…he hung an ax from the shelf? Many carpenters are missing fingers due to projects, but this guy is going to be missing a foot.

38. Kayinfso Here on March 14, 2021 at 11:38 pm

Great video and idea!!

39. Rikk Kazz on March 14, 2021 at 11:39 pm

Well done video! No bs. Just the important info without all the unneeded blah blah. Good job! 👍🏼

40. Zach Baird on March 14, 2021 at 11:41 pm

What size hole saw bit?

41. Per Shop on March 14, 2021 at 11:44 pm

I like the idea that it could also fit more than 1 tool per hole as well. Thanks for the video!