Complete Guide on Starting Seeds Indoors ~ What to Plant & When

I get asked all the time from beginning gardeners what can be started
indoors, how long till the seeds can be started indoors, when can the
seeds be started, if the seeds can even be started indoors, when the
seedlings should be safe outdoors, when is the best time to start
seeds, and a billion other questions all the same. So this video will
hopefully help you grow big this year, and get your garden going
successfully!
Send mail to:
PO box 131
Marysville, MI 48040

450+ varieties of Heirloom & Non-GMO Vegetable seeds .99/pack, fertilizer, garden tools, blog & More: http://www.MIgardener.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MIgardener
Instagram: http://instagram.com/MIgardener
G+: http://plus.google.com/+MIgardener
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/MIgardenerYT/ Twitter: http://twitter.com/MI_gardener
Tumblr: http://tumblr.com/MIgardener

1. Cark on March 16, 2021 at 10:33 pm

We need to get you a better microphone friend.

2. Deccom on March 16, 2021 at 10:34 pm

Hi I have been growing my own fruits and vegetables for the last couple of years now and love it but there are a few things I would like to grow but have no idea on how to get started on these the first one I would like to start growing is grapes from a vine. The main reason for this it is nearly impossible to but seeded grapes over here in Ireland.I have my own theories on how this has happened but it now seems that the only grapes that you can buy are seedless grapes which are genetically modified to produce a grape with no seed only GOD knows what this will do to the human mankind we can only speculate on.But for now I would like to get back to growing a real grape with a seed in it so it can carry out all it’s wonderful powers of curing most of the known cancers in the world as wall as being the producer of some of the most magnificent wines in the world which my wife like sometimes I am a lager man but I would like the seeded grape for it’s medical properties so any ideas would be welcome.Thank you in advance .Mr Michael Morgan Dublin Ireland.

3. Dan S on March 16, 2021 at 10:36 pm

You take too much time to explain anything.

4. Lynnsey P on March 16, 2021 at 10:41 pm

Super simple "duh" tip that I had never thought of. My method of when to start is much more complicated and time consuming. Thank you so much!

5. Kay Mack on March 16, 2021 at 10:42 pm

I am shocked that MI has an earlier last frost date than MA. Jealous…and shocked.

6. Erica on March 16, 2021 at 10:42 pm

Great video! Love that calendar ๐Ÿฅ• ๐Ÿ…

7. SusieQ on March 16, 2021 at 10:43 pm

Perfect

8. Maria Wilson on March 16, 2021 at 10:44 pm

Hey, MIgardener…what about OKRA. how many wks on that??

9. Kat's Eye View on March 16, 2021 at 10:45 pm

i have to wait till april. but i have a new greenhouse up! so i will start in march!

10. Linda Petersen on March 16, 2021 at 10:45 pm

do you sell Alice’s Dream tomato seeds ??? am interested in growing these please I wish to grow them!!!

11. Energy Divine-El on March 16, 2021 at 10:46 pm

i started some things weeks ago. nothing survived. ๐Ÿ™

12. Ty Lee on March 16, 2021 at 10:46 pm

Great video. Does swiss chard fall under direct sow?

13. Joey Farley on March 16, 2021 at 10:47 pm

5 years late but still a very informative video.

14. Jessica Dolan on March 16, 2021 at 10:47 pm

Shoot! I JUST sowed beets for indoors, hahaha

15. Kay Vallance on March 16, 2021 at 10:50 pm

thanks for the list with the color code – that helps a whole lot and maybe explains why some stuff never grew last year. here’s to planning my second attempt!

16. Julie Kraft on March 16, 2021 at 10:53 pm

Excellent video tyvm!

17. Christine B on March 16, 2021 at 10:55 pm

As of 3/16/21 they changed growing zone map.

18. Jason Lieberman on March 16, 2021 at 10:55 pm

When I saw your channel name, I wonder if the MI meant you’re in Michigan.

Then when I heard how you said "Minnesota", I didn’t really have to wonder anymore ๐Ÿ˜‰

19. Wandzetta Darey on March 16, 2021 at 10:57 pm

Hi I live in Michigan

20. Sasha Kim on March 16, 2021 at 10:58 pm

Thank you so much for this!!!

21. Rachel As She Paints on March 16, 2021 at 10:59 pm

The โ€œthumbโ€ of Michigan ๐Ÿ˜‚ adorable. As a knitter, I can appreciate a state that looks like a mitten.

22. js whosoever on March 16, 2021 at 11:01 pm

I’m wondering how he got a last frost date in Michigan so early…I’m in Gladwin and it says not until June!

23. bobby hull on March 16, 2021 at 11:02 pm

Hello Luke watching you from Newfoundland Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ so way up north ๐Ÿ˜‚

24. Aaron on March 16, 2021 at 11:03 pm

You can get high on 420 and just plant all day ๐Ÿ˜‰

25. Stephanie Pikulski on March 16, 2021 at 11:05 pm

I always get too excited and plant indoors way too early. I may have some tomatoes going now and my last frost date is June 1 ๐Ÿ™ˆ

Oh well, itโ€™s a good learning experience!

26. Emily Knetzer on March 16, 2021 at 11:06 pm

Ooo Iโ€™m jealous of those botanical prints! ๐Ÿ’š

27. yankee way farms on March 16, 2021 at 11:06 pm

I’m in southeast Massachusetts zone 7a. Decent growing season here about 7 months long.

28. marezeedo on March 16, 2021 at 11:06 pm

I sure appreciated this video, as Iโ€™m just getting things ready for organizing my planting. I also want to plant kohlrabi?
    When do I start that? My last frost date is Apr 28, Iโ€™m in zone 9-9a. Also does zucchini fall in with the other squash?
    Love your videos!

29. eldiaz on March 16, 2021 at 11:07 pm

Rewatching this again, I swear everything seems to slip out of my brain over winter!

30. Richard Lesly on March 16, 2021 at 11:07 pm

Who made your wall calendar? It’s pretty nice.

31. Karie R on March 16, 2021 at 11:09 pm

I have always started my tomato seeds 4-5 weeks before last frost and that is what your saying to do in this video. So I ordered all my tomato seeds this year from you and every single one of my tomato packets say to start indoors 8-12 weeks before last frost date. Can you help explain this Luke??

32. ExecratedPlays on March 16, 2021 at 11:10 pm

What about cannabis?

33. Chantal Lachance on March 16, 2021 at 11:10 pm

I use the full moon of the month for the date

34. sbayles on March 16, 2021 at 11:10 pm

Needed this. Thx

35. Jeaniej Butler on March 16, 2021 at 11:12 pm

awesome info.. I am getting a late start, but better late than not at all. I am in central Calif, and am going to grow tomatoes, lettuce, garlic, green onions, squash, cucumbers, bok choi, spinache, swiss chard, beets and maybe bush beans. In addition i will be container growing, chives, and basil. This will be my second yr growing but I am battling mice and gophers since i live by a canal and the county has been working on it for months and I guess the critters relocated to a better local. Havent found anything to really get rid of them yet. Any suggestions ANYONE. I am not sure my garden will survive if I cant get rid of them, but I have to try since I am disabled and on a very limited income, so without a garden I will not be eating many veggies.

36. Saturday Projects on March 16, 2021 at 11:13 pm

Great info! I liked how you showed and talked about the planting map and why to make a list.

37. Deb Briggs on March 16, 2021 at 11:16 pm

But what if you have a tomato variety that takes longer than others normally grown in your area and They need sewn sooner.

38. Growmance on March 16, 2021 at 11:17 pm

I started lemon basil and sweet basil ,cumin and sweet alysium along with Calandula

39. yooperlooper on March 16, 2021 at 11:18 pm

According to the noaa map, I’m in a zone too cold to compute! Guess I’m SOL

40. Annette Murray on March 16, 2021 at 11:18 pm

Please comment on Canadian gardeners. Thank you

41. Deonna Daniels on March 16, 2021 at 11:22 pm

Thank you soo much this was very helpful to me!!!!๐Ÿ’—

42. yeahdude1986 on March 16, 2021 at 11:22 pm

in theory, can i grow a watermelon in a container and let it vine over on the cement patio?

43. Dee Dee on March 16, 2021 at 11:22 pm

I love that artwork! ๐Ÿ˜„ whereโ€™d you get it?

44. candice pettrey on March 16, 2021 at 11:25 pm

Wow! This is by far the best and most informative video I have. Ever seen… Iโ€™m so happy to have come across this๐Ÿค—thank you so very much for putting all of this together, you have definitely helped me alot

45. Sandy McClure on March 16, 2021 at 11:26 pm

Yep! You’re the only one who has explained ‘what and how’ with a pinch of caution. thnx

46. Anna Chico on March 16, 2021 at 11:27 pm

Iโ€™m ashamed to say that I donโ€™t own a calendar anymore Iโ€™m buying one tomorrow ๐Ÿ˜‚

47. OldSquishyGardener PDX on March 16, 2021 at 11:28 pm

Beets are great to start indoors…been doing it for years and getting two crops out of same bed in one season by doing so…

48. sam sloan on March 16, 2021 at 11:30 pm

Thanks so much for your help starting my large garden in Michigan

49. Random Salty Person on March 16, 2021 at 11:30 pm

Extremely helpful…simple…brilliant! Thanks!

50. smhollanshead on March 16, 2021 at 11:31 pm

I sprout my beans at home and place the beans in 20 once solo cups. I transplant my beans within 7 to 10 days. Beans are cold sensitive, so I plant them after my frost free date. But, by transplanting I get a jump on the season. My beans do well. You can transplant beans.