9 Types of Berry Bushes to grow in your Garden

Probably the easiest thing to grow in the garden are berry bushes and plants. They’re mainly perennial, meaning they re-grow every year, and most are relatively low maintenance. The main thing you really need to worry about is picking the fruit before the birds get them.

In this film I introduce you to nine different berries that I grow in my allotment garden. Some may be familiar but I’ll bet there’s at least one type that you’ve not seen before. Let me know which one it is for you as a comment below. Or if you knew (or maybe grow) all of them let me know that as well.

More questions for you:
1. Do you have any further information on Jostaberry Leaf Netting? Or do you think that the leaves infected might be White Pine Blister? I’m finding it difficult to ID the issue.

2. What are your thoughts on the simple raspberry support system?

Recipes & Ideas mentioned:
Blackcurrant liqueur: https://lovelygreens.com/blackcurrant-rum-infusion-recipe/
Redcurrant Jelly: https://lovelygreens.com/making-redcurrant-jelly/
Growing Pineberries: https://lovelygreens.com/grow-pineberries-white-strawberries/

Interested in how I make videos? Here’s my essential equipment*

Main camera https://amzn.to/2HHa3bp
Main camera lens https://amzn.to/2UUlbF7
Secondary camera https://amzn.to/2YgcUgC
Secondary camera tripod https://amzn.to/2JGxDqE
Microphone https://amzn.to/2Uh0fLv

*Lovely Greens is a participant in Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Basically I make a small commission if you end up making a purchase. Thank you for your support.

1. If you enjoyed this video please give it a thumbs up and subscribe over here: https://www.youtube.com/user/lovelygreenstv?sub_confirmation=1

2. Remember to TURN ON notifications to know when new videos are out

3. Subscribe to my free weekly newsletter: https://www.subscribepage.com/lovelygreens

4. Have a question or comment? Please leave them below — I love to hear from you!

ABOUT LOVELY GREENS

Tanya Anderson of Lovely Greens: Live simply, grow your own, make natural things

#backyardgardening #allotment #vegetablegarden

1. Julianna Carlson on March 17, 2021 at 11:03 pm

Your missing out on the honey berry!!!!

2. darklordmenet on March 17, 2021 at 11:03 pm

what is your growing zone??? i’d really like to know because i live in a high desert, but the weather here acts like 4a to 7b in 1 years, however it can also act like that in 1 day…so…if i know what growing zone you live in i can see if these plants will grow in my area

3. rain3906 on March 17, 2021 at 11:03 pm

yellow raspberries oo

4. Elizabeth Herschleb on March 17, 2021 at 11:08 pm

Never heard of pine berries

5. Ano Nymous on March 17, 2021 at 11:15 pm

Sorry, I knew all of them 😉

6. Camesha Anderson on March 17, 2021 at 11:15 pm

I live in jamaica. How can I get berry seeds?

7. Elizabeth Posivio on March 17, 2021 at 11:15 pm

What zone are you in that you can grow so many varieties I’m in a zone 4-5

8. Ray Kemry on March 17, 2021 at 11:15 pm

I actually took notes as it played . Wish you could have posted names of all the plants as you go .I am a bad speller and also have trouble hearing what’s said. Typed on screen I could copie..

9. Lauren Shea on March 17, 2021 at 11:16 pm

sunscald. in english pronounced Yostaberry

10. Ian Foote on March 17, 2021 at 11:18 pm

I didn’t know pine berries were called pine berries. But, no, no surprises.

I’m not growing anything at the moment, still saving up for land, but I used to be the coordinator of the local urban garden society, and I’ve done a lot of research.

Are you familiar with these?

Elderberry, Goji Berry, Haskap, Thimbleberries, Nannyberries, Serviceberries, Aronia Berries
    , Boysenberries, Loganberry, Dewberry, Lingonberry, and the nitrogen fixers: Autumn Berries, Buffaloberries, and Sea Buckthorn

11. Christos Lygd on March 17, 2021 at 11:19 pm

spray copper liquid and smashed aspirin in water , do it in different times (for the desease)

12. Robert Buck on March 17, 2021 at 11:19 pm

I liked watching this video it was berry interesting

13. We Don't Have Cookies on March 17, 2021 at 11:20 pm

I was hoping that there would be one that I haven’t heard of but thats okay. I absolutely love your fencing and plan to copy that in my berry patch. As of right now I have 2 varieties of gooseberry, 2 varieties of honeyberry, 3 varieties of blackberry, 2 varieties of white blackberry, maionberries, boysenberries, loganberries, tayberries, dewberries, huckleberry, pink and blue blueberries, red & black elderberry, 7 varieties with 5 different colored raspberry and prunus maritima. I may upload a video of it this spring or summer.

14. Itznun Yabizness on March 17, 2021 at 11:21 pm

I knew all of those. Curious if anyone has tried growing salmon berries?

15. Cee Park on March 17, 2021 at 11:23 pm

You sure have a green thumb. Such a lovely garden. I had never heard of the pineberry. You should get a couple Elderberry bushes.

16. Anonymous on March 17, 2021 at 11:28 pm

My biggest strawberry problem last year were bees. They came along and ate out the inside of at least half of them.

17. Mickey Zixn on March 17, 2021 at 11:29 pm

holy shit shes growing fucking pinnap berries

18. Kevin on March 17, 2021 at 11:30 pm

I knew all of them, and thought you forgot Goji berries, Aronia, Kiwiberry which are all in my new established fruit forest

19. jeffersdom on March 17, 2021 at 11:30 pm

I had no Idea …. I’m working on Meekers and Triple crowns in California West

20. Charles Bale on March 17, 2021 at 11:30 pm

Wonderful information, thank you.

21. William Berry on March 17, 2021 at 11:33 pm

My last name is Berry and you like eating berries so much 😉

22. passiv inkomst on March 17, 2021 at 11:34 pm

i have actually all of the berries you presented in the video, it is so wonderful with all this berries, so tasty.

23. Bob Ross on March 17, 2021 at 11:38 pm

I loved this video, I really want to start my own garden 😊

24. Estela Nuñez on March 17, 2021 at 11:38 pm

can you show us how to plant blueberries, i seam to kill mine every time i try ,thank you ❤🙂

25. Backwoods Baby on March 17, 2021 at 11:38 pm

1. Black currents
    2. Jostaberry
    3. Blackberry
    4. Red currants
    5. Strawberry
    6. Raspberry
    7. Blueberry
    8. Gooseberry
    9. Pineberry?? Although i thought she was categorizing it as a strawberry.

Geeze she was long-winded and didnt put up headings

26. Connie Davidson on March 17, 2021 at 11:39 pm

I got some huckleberry seed to try this year.

27. Andy Hemmings on March 17, 2021 at 11:39 pm

Just had to say the blackcurrant rum is a great liqueur. Not so good if you get drunk on it. Rum and black was popular when I was an underage drinker last century 👍 but also try your same recipe using the other fruits. Gooseberry gin, vodka or brandy. Damson gin vodka or brandy etc etc if you follow my alcoholic journeys 😉 enjoy.

28. Corrin Jade on March 17, 2021 at 11:41 pm

There was quite a bit of berries I didn’t know about. The only ones I knew were strawberries, black berries, raspberries, and blueberries. I’d heard of gooseberries but I’ve never seen or tasted them. The rest I had no idea about so this was a cool informative video. Thank you very much.

29. Robert Dubuc on March 17, 2021 at 11:41 pm

thank-you so ,so much ..very informative.Never heard of the pineapple strawberry ,and the currant update was very informative

30. Hedy Karim on March 17, 2021 at 11:41 pm

You can’t do this in the southern US , can’t legally grow currants or gooseberries

31. dahanks1 on March 17, 2021 at 11:42 pm

I love your dialect! I’m an actor, and I do a lot of voiceovers. I hear what sounds like a bit of a Northern Irish brogue, but a tinge of the South, and then something else I can’t identify. Where are you from? I love your voice!

32. Sylvia hildebrant on March 17, 2021 at 11:42 pm

Envy!! Grew up on a farm in PA where we had berries galore. Loved gooseberry jelly!! Now live in FL/zone 9 so gooseberries and currents won’t grow. We have to be careful of which blueberry plants to get. BUT I do have a peach tree,pineapples, and bananas. Truly enjoy growing fruits and berries more than veggies ~~ and, yes, I grow veggies.

33. julie gorter on March 17, 2021 at 11:42 pm

The jostaberries are new to me, I’m going to order a shrub and try them as I love gooseberry and black currants 🙂

34. Joanne Adah K on March 17, 2021 at 11:42 pm

I mulch my blueberries with fallen needles from my evergreens. They love it, they break down into good acidic food. I wish I could say I don’t know all the berries. But I’m in NW USA so I did… but being a Kansas native my great grandmother used to make gooseberry pie. I have for years wanted to do the same. Now, thanks to you. I know how to ready myself. I had no idea when to pick. What a "ripe" goose looks like. I also planted a black currant the same year so now maybe there will be a treat for Dad in the near future ♥️♥️♥️ how many years did it take to establish the currants in your garden?

35. Not Really on March 17, 2021 at 11:45 pm

"rock hard" Giggidy

36. Helen Keating on March 17, 2021 at 11:46 pm

I loved seeing your berries. I didnt know pine berries or the blackcurrant/gooseberry cross.

37. Culturally Different on March 17, 2021 at 11:46 pm

Black currants and gooseberries are my favorite…but they are banned from growing in Ohio

38. 1805janine on March 17, 2021 at 11:47 pm

Know all of them, but love the video. I have one berry for you to plant if you can… the kiwi berry. It’s absolutely delicious😋 …

39. visar brestovci on March 17, 2021 at 11:48 pm

great video. I grow many berries myself and I enjoyed watching this video so much.

40. Sheenhayat Awan13 on March 17, 2021 at 11:50 pm

Impressive

41. su p on March 17, 2021 at 11:51 pm

how to make soil acidic naturally to grow blue berries?

42. April Roa on March 17, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Yep i know them all. Im obsessed with berries

43. do sian on March 17, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Thanks a lot. I know blueberry ,strawberry and rasberry. How can I have all these seeds? From where the seeds available.

44. STEVEN HOLTON on March 17, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Didntknow the Jostaberry! The blackberry and raspberry make the best fruit wines along with blueberry and gooseberry second place.

45. Sanjay Joshi on March 17, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Yes the hybrid between red currant and goose berry

46. Shelburn James on March 17, 2021 at 11:52 pm

I thought current were tomatoes maybe that’s why some consider them a fruit?

47. John Peterson on March 17, 2021 at 11:58 pm

Lovely setting and delicious fruit. – my new garden here in South Australia is planted for a hot ‘Mediterranean’ climate with cool wet winters and hot dry summers up to 48C – my blueberries died but the strawberries seem OK – I use horse manure, blood and bone and pea straw mulch as my gardening regime – also have loganberries and thornless raspberries – I put white bird netting over the raised beds but most of the berry plants started to dry out despite daily Summer watering here – so I think the netting raised the temperature underneath – I might try building a large structure and find a way to allow the bees to get in and pollinate them – John in SA

48. Ernie Saavedra on March 17, 2021 at 11:59 pm

I never heard of White (pine) strawberries before 🙂 I wonder if I can plant it here in Charlotte, NC

49. Karolina Krysztofiak on March 18, 2021 at 12:01 am

In Poland, we like to grow wild strawberries in our home gardens, which cannot be bought in stores. They are delicious and bear fruit all season long.

50. Teresa Horn on March 18, 2021 at 12:02 am

Yes knew about them all, and know many that you don’t have. One that you need is definitely a dewberry. Thank you for your videos.