Starting Summer Vegetables – A Complete Guide To Starting Vegetable Seeds – Tomatoes, Peppers etc.

It’s THAT time of the year when you start your summer vegetable seeds for the next growing season. In today’s episode we look at how to start vegetable seeds indoors. We begin with how to choose a seed starting kit or build you own seed starting mix and use hex trays or small pots or small containers to start your seeds. Once you start your vegetable seeds 6-8 weeks before your frost date, you will be well on your way to grow some great fruits and vegetables in your garden.

Starting a vegetable garden for beginners is no easy task so we look at all aspects from starting seeds with your own seed starting mix or soil and then how to provide nutrients for seed starts and finally to transplant them in your garden.

1. Shady Character on March 19, 2021 at 10:41 pm

My tomatoes never died lol. I still have tomatoes growing.

2. Midd Grow on March 19, 2021 at 10:41 pm

Im in Socal , i started my seedling about 2 weeks ago there doing great . Giving them about two more weeks then they going outside. Peppers, tomotoes , peanuts etc

3. DesiPR on March 19, 2021 at 10:41 pm

Help! I’m so sad. I’m in Zone 9b in Florida, and started my seedlings inside because it’s been cold (as low as 30’s) at night for the last month. I tried growing them first in a heating mat on peat pods and after they had all sprouted they succumbed to damping. So threw everything away, bought new trays, put soil , had them on heating mats and UV lights.. they still mostly succumbed to damping. I was only watering them once every other day… I’m sooo sad! Is it because they were heirloom varieties?

4. Celeste's Nest on March 19, 2021 at 10:42 pm

We are still 11 days from our last frost date. Can’t wait to get these seedlings in their permanent home in the garden 🤗.

5. NIGEE K on March 19, 2021 at 10:43 pm

Your video has inspired me to try gardening in my apartment patio! A clear beginner to gardening. Can i grow tomatoes and asian peppers in a container in my apartment patio (Southern California) which receive 50% sunlight ? I am skeptical if I could try anything other than cilantro and mint in the partial shade of my patio.

6. Sushant Rane on March 19, 2021 at 10:44 pm

Hello Sir, I Am From Maharashtra, India.In My Area Temperature Is 17-26°c. Can I Transplant My Tomato, Eggplant Outside. Give Me Your Valuable Suggestion Sir.

7. WhyNotTruth on March 19, 2021 at 10:46 pm

I give this video a tums up

8. Sj Smith on March 19, 2021 at 10:46 pm

Love your seed storage! I have a couple tomatoes that volunteered in my broccoli bed. So far, it’s competing with broccoli for light and so they’re leggy…. but thriving. So far, the broccoli leaves have sheltered them from frost. When it warms up, I’ll remove broccoli and tie up the tomato…. if frosts don’t get em. Riverside County, CA.

9. Gillian Gare on March 19, 2021 at 10:47 pm

I love your videos! I’m in southern Ontario and our frost date is a while away. I won’t be able to start seeds until mid March…but until then I can dream and enjoy your videos. Thanks!

10. Shaeda Bhagan on March 19, 2021 at 10:49 pm

The links please….thanks

11. Rashmi Patel on March 19, 2021 at 10:50 pm

Hello Sir, Do you have curry leaves plant seeds? if you do can I purchase from you?

12. Saroja Jayaraman on March 19, 2021 at 10:51 pm

Very informative video-a big thank you

13. T-life on March 19, 2021 at 10:52 pm

thank you for share. Good lucky channel

14. Papi Rojo on March 19, 2021 at 10:52 pm

I’m down in Anaheim. I just started my seeds in a 72 cell jiffy greenhouse. Still not enough. Someone at Laguna Hills Nursery suggested to start seeds using k-cups and acidified mix too.

15. C sands on March 19, 2021 at 10:54 pm

Like the way he says veztabells

16. Althea McDougal on March 19, 2021 at 10:55 pm

Hi CG, I actually started some of my seeds in December they’re still in the house and thriving, we had an unusual cold snap here in Florida so they’ll be in the house for a bit longer. I’m actually eating tomatoes from my fall planting, they did very well this fall for me happy gardening

17. Carmen Greer on March 19, 2021 at 10:56 pm

Yes. We have started seeds. I am using the same peat pellet modules. We have started tomatoes and peppers. Some were started by sprouting the seeds, others are in pellet trays with heat mat.

18. ramya chandra on March 19, 2021 at 10:58 pm

Thank you for all the informative videos, they are really detailed yet simple to follow. My question is about growing vegetables from seeds. I started seeds indoors ( zone 9b) , they all have some true leaves, but they are not tall and sturdy like you show in your videos, its been 6 weeks , they are in the tiny containers, 1) can I transplant them( Apr 15) outside on the ground now?
    2) if not should i transplant into next size pots and then move to ground..? That seems like a long time and i might not have plants ready by end of May, at this rate. What am I doing wrong ?

19. Jessica Wu on March 19, 2021 at 10:58 pm

Being in the San Gabriel Valley, CA, weather hasn’t been too bad, especially with the warm weather as of late (Though, the temp difference is really huge, from low- to mid-80s in the day to mid-40s at night). Currently, I already have sprouts for 9 Japanese cucumbers, 6 Cherokee Purple tomatoes, I think 1 Cherry, Tomato, 1 Husky Cherry Tomato, 36 Radishes, and 6 Sugar Snap Peas. I’ll need to start adding a bit of liquid fertilizer now that I’ve been reminded by your video. Though, not sure if our Beefsteak Tomato will survive though. It looks really weak and I don’t think it’s going to make it… X_x Can’t wait for the rest of the tomatoes be ready for transplant into the boxes in the front. Just need to clean up the back porch and find a way to reflect some sun to the plants since the house faces South and there’s nothing but shade in the back, especially the back porch.

Oh yeah, have a question for you, California Gardening. Have you had any success with the ‘chocolate’ variants for cherry tomatoes? I know Lowe’s carries it and I tried it out last year, but the main issue I had from all three I had picked out was that they, and the two golden pear cherry tomatoes I also bought also from Lowe’s, were really prone to white flies while the rest of my tomatoes, different sizes and varieties but all red, were ok. Have you ever encountered this issue?

20. Aklima Khatun on March 19, 2021 at 11:00 pm

Hi your gardening always inspire me. Can you please tell me ,frome where I can buy hyacinth bush bean variety seed.From Toronto

21. Pankaj Chaddha on March 19, 2021 at 11:01 pm

Sir My eggplant is flowering and growing well but no fruiting what could be the reason please guide me

22. Gabriel Gonzalez on March 19, 2021 at 11:01 pm

After you put the seeds in the pellets ware do you put your seed trays? Outside, under a grow light, or a light schedule? Thank for your help.

23. Calla Lily - From California on March 19, 2021 at 11:03 pm

😘👍👍👍👋✌

24. Sak Kasper on March 19, 2021 at 11:03 pm

Where’s the link?

25. Kitzia- Margarita I. Herrera G on March 19, 2021 at 11:05 pm

I’m loving your videos! I was hoping you could tell me where you buy your compost and your peat moss. I need them in large quantities and only find peat moss in small quantities at Home Depot and I don’t know how I feel about the compost at the landfill thank you

26. Gogo Gogo on March 19, 2021 at 11:06 pm

Thank you. Your videos are teaching me so much.

27. Javed Iqbal Mirza on March 19, 2021 at 11:07 pm

Many Thanks

28. Carmen Greer on March 19, 2021 at 11:07 pm

When did you start sowing seeds?
    The videos are great!
    Happy gardening!

29. Shweta Desai on March 19, 2021 at 11:08 pm

Where can I buy bottle guard seeds

30. Ar Vel on March 19, 2021 at 11:09 pm

Hi, when you say you transplant them to a slightly larger pot, so you still use the coco coir and peat moss mix, or its something different? Thanks

31. Susan Backus on March 19, 2021 at 11:10 pm

I love all your gardening videos! Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge… very detailed and clear. In Arkansas I started kale, collards, onions, spinach, radishes and marigolds under grow lights for container planting. I have hardened them off, but it has been in the 20’s at night so I bring them in. I started my seeds as early as Feb. 4th and they are doing beautifully! So glad I got this early start! Happy growing to all!

32. Shashank's Garden on March 19, 2021 at 11:11 pm

Sir i planted tomatoes and chilli seeds.
    after 10 days i got small plants.
    Now i want to grow Okra can i grow now.

33. Sateesh Surampally on March 19, 2021 at 11:11 pm

How long does the seed take to sprout in coco coir?

34. Kirk on March 19, 2021 at 11:13 pm

Awesome video! I too start a lot of plants with seeds. I made a new seeding tool just for gardeners. http://www.sowperfectseeder.com I,m sure you would love it very versatile. Thank you for your video!

35. Wanda Wilson on March 19, 2021 at 11:14 pm

2019.i live in ontaio.will be starting my plants indoors this week
    End of March.cant wait to get outside.
    Still have lots of snow here.

36. Denise maloney piren on March 19, 2021 at 11:15 pm

I’m in northern NY, it’s still snowing today in fact. I love getting my garden fix watching your videos before I can start my plants. (I’m in a zone 4 area) Thanks and keep it up!

37. Karla Janeth Olivas on March 19, 2021 at 11:17 pm

I plant some peppers and arugula from seeds and they grow but before the real leaves star growing the two leaves that they already have just dried and start dying, I don’t know what’s wrong help!

38. raquel quiles on March 19, 2021 at 11:17 pm

Hi  my mane is Roxy I like that you are so informative. Can you tell me when is a good time of the year, to plant my peppers and tomatoes. Were I live now is very cold 30s and 40s.

39. Ankush Kaistha on March 19, 2021 at 11:17 pm

Hi CG, can you please post some links of containers that you use? Thanks!

40. Isiah Ramlakhan on March 19, 2021 at 11:18 pm

41. Alma Rodriguez on March 19, 2021 at 11:21 pm

When starting seeds do you put them in your greenhouse or start them indoors? Can you do video please?

42. food vibes on March 19, 2021 at 11:23 pm

good

43. Stan Everglow on March 19, 2021 at 11:25 pm

Can I start seeds in March?

44. Alma Rodriguez on March 19, 2021 at 11:26 pm

When you transplant into a bigger container to extend growing what soil are you using?

45. JagannathaReddy PochimiReddy on March 19, 2021 at 11:27 pm

I am San Diego, looking for Tindora cuttings . Do you have for purchasing couple of them ?

46. Janice B on March 19, 2021 at 11:28 pm

Just seeing those tomatoes makes me excited for spring. I’m doing prep and beginning some seeds indoors now. Got a heating pad and need to get a grow light. Also, put some seeds in the fridge to stratify: lavender, berries and comfrey.

47. komal meharchandani on March 19, 2021 at 11:30 pm

Hi, I have started sending for tomatoes and it has grown nearly 5 to 12 inches but some of leaves are snake marks on it.
    What it can effect on my plant? Which fertilizer should I use?

48. I. Ma on March 19, 2021 at 11:31 pm

Thanks for the video. I had some tomato in pots. I watered them too much,and they came rotten from bottoms. I trew the plants. My question is : shall i get rid of the dirt, or is there someting to use in it ,so i can plant in it again ? Thank you so much

49. Lady Gardener on March 19, 2021 at 11:33 pm

Hey you are very inspiring and because of you i m making my own youtube video please follow me and support me, I just made a new youtube video please subscribe and support me please highly highly appreciated 🤗🤗🤗

50. toriamonkey11 on March 19, 2021 at 11:34 pm

Where do you find the big bags of perlite?