How To Build A DIY Walk In Fruit Cage

In this video, I show my DIY solution to how to build a walk in fruit cage. It is a durable walk in fruit cage made from galvanised steel and joined together using the Kee clamp system, that hopefully will last for many years.

For more allotment tips, please see my website:

Garden Allotment Website

Walk-in fruit cages are permanent structures, designed to protect the fruit harvest, while making it easy for a gardener to move around in to care for the plants. They can be found in gardens or on allotment plots. Fruit cages can be expensive to buy as kits, especially when made to measure.

I wanted a walk-in steel fruit cage, made to the exact size for my plot, and at an affordable price. In this video I share the principals of how to create a fruit cage, and what to consider when making one. At the end of the video there is a summary of all the materials I sourced, and how I made the fruit cage step by step. What I really like about this approach, is that if in the future I want to expand the fruit cage, it will be easy to extend by changing the clamps used and buying more steel tubing.

1. Daniel Sidi on March 23, 2021 at 11:41 pm

Very helpful, thanks for making this video. Please can you share where you sourced the tubing and clamps from. Thank you.

2. Jan Knapp on March 23, 2021 at 11:45 pm

Great tips, thanks very much for sharing

3. Leslie Beaumont on March 23, 2021 at 11:53 pm

Very helpful!

4. Kevin Williams on March 23, 2021 at 11:53 pm

Thank you very much for your video, I intend to follow your suggestions. Would you be so kind as to tell me what kind of key clamp fitting your used at 2, 4, 7, and 8 (on your diagram). I am thinking that possibly two may be need at these points; a long tee and a short tee, as I cannot find a design that will join all 4 poles. Thank you!

5. richard wilson on March 23, 2021 at 11:57 pm

This looks like a good plan for me. How many fruit bushes do you have in your cage and of what type?

6. gaffer2009 on March 24, 2021 at 12:08 am

Useful video but a little more information regarding tube dimensions and fittings would be good. Did you use Kee Clamp/Kee Lite? From where did you source tubing? Approx cost of your project?