Should I Use Cow Manure in My Vegetable Garden? & More Organic Gardening Q&A

Should I Use Cow Manure in My Vegetable Garden? & More Organic Gardening Q&A

John from http://www.growingyourgreens.com/ answers your organic gardening questions. Help John to close caption his videos and get your questions answered with the links below:

John will personally call you and do a 10 minute garden coaching session:

In this episode, John will answer the following questions:

02:20 Where can I get the Happy Frog Soil Conditioner for my Container Garden? What is a good mix for a potting soil available in Sonoma County?
05:12 Would Recommend using Cow Manure from Next Door?
13:05 Is there a page that shows all the discounts for GYG viewers?
18:02 Any advise on purchasing soil for my vegetable garden?
21:10 How can I identify sprouts that are coming up in my garden?

After watching this episode you will learn John’s answers to these organic gardening questions and probably learn a few other things at the same time.

City Pickers Container garden:

Tips for growing your garden for free or cheap:

Best Organic Compost in Texas:

1. Bro Kinglet on March 24, 2021 at 10:53 pm

“Growing the cows”
    We raise cows not grow them they’re not plants 😂

2. KayLee Haw on March 24, 2021 at 10:54 pm

I’m in Sacramento area (9b). We have raised cinder block garden beds. We’re having a really hard time with Squash and Zucchini. Even our peppers are not great. Was doing great with cucumbers, but it appears they have started to slow down. We used to have a hard time with Basil, but this season we’re doing good. We get everything from Green Acres in Roseville. Aphids are one of our problems. Any suggestions on how to help my zucchini?

3. DF USA on March 24, 2021 at 10:56 pm

Gosh get to the point

4. Masuda Ulde on March 24, 2021 at 10:57 pm

Aur ab seeds konse le sakte ye season k liy

5. lenny108 on March 24, 2021 at 10:58 pm

people mainly are not informed what is cow dung. Cow dung is not like dog stool or any other feces. Cow dung is pure. If you have a cut in your leg and put a bandage with cow dung on it it will heal quickly without infection. Cow dung is antibacterial so to speak

6. Cow Manure on March 24, 2021 at 11:01 pm

lol

7. Tonio Yendis on March 24, 2021 at 11:02 pm

This guy talks way to damn much in all his eff’n videos. He loves to hear himself! He baits you in with a good title, then bumps his damn gums through 3/4 of the video before he gets to the subject.

8. stephencarlsbad on March 24, 2021 at 11:03 pm

Herbicide transfer from cow manure is a myth. If herbicides were a problem in commercial manure then Commerical farmers that produce most of our food would stop using it.
    Further, Chemical fertilizers are not any less safe than organic fertilizers. The chemical composition of the nutrients in both are exactly the same.

9. Donamtrx on March 24, 2021 at 11:03 pm

WHOA SPEED READER!! HUH?! WHAT?!😯😯😯

10. Chibuikem Nzerue on March 24, 2021 at 11:04 pm

i don’t like how this guy is shitting on manure (get it ?) but fr it actually annoys me a little

11. James Evans on March 24, 2021 at 11:05 pm

SUGAR AN POO

12. theresa94010 on March 24, 2021 at 11:07 pm

Way too much talking, get to the point already.

13. Bryce on March 24, 2021 at 11:11 pm

You do not have to get cow manure. There are tons of others. This guy is a joke.

14. Tall Cedars on March 24, 2021 at 11:15 pm

We use only our cattle & sheep manure compost, it’s organic, no fertilizers etc. People all want organic and that’s simply not possible. I would not buy corporate or anyones manure as honesty today is gone by the wayside so I recomment, when possible, people move to rural areas and grow and raise their own animals for organic food. Our health is being severely compromised and having a small farm is safest & not much money is spent growing with it.
    One thing I don’t understand is that our yields are smaller than what I see on yt organic gardening. Then I see most are adding store products…bonemeal…bloodmeal, um, that’s not organic as again, it’s a trust issue. I’d rather go to the forest and collect compost there than buy anything, but that’s just me.

15. Branielle Heddings on March 24, 2021 at 11:16 pm

Will the peppers cross pollinate or whatever its called lol and possibly get hotter from the world hottest pepper?

16. crazycloud2 on March 24, 2021 at 11:16 pm

I started putting my kitchen scraps directly on the soil under my mulch. I have so many worms that they process and break it down super fast. My compost never really turns out right and this works great.

17. Melanie Myers on March 24, 2021 at 11:16 pm

Hi John, Luke from MI Gardener is trying to get with you and a lot of us are hoping you two can get together to do a video. Would appreciate it if you would consider it! Super Siked about this idea! you both have great information and share much of the same ideas.

18. Kirk on March 24, 2021 at 11:18 pm

Great explanation of the source of manure. I am guessing on a lawn would be OK, but not on a garden of food source.
    Kirk

19. mplslawnguy on March 24, 2021 at 11:18 pm

The reality is most contaminated produce is from the field workers pissing and shitting out in the field, not from composted manure. Manure has been used for centuries to grow plants, its fine. You just don’t want to use hot manure, which you wouldn’t get anyways unless you lived on a farm. I get wanting to grow organic, and I do enjoy some of the videos on this channel, but a lot of the things this guy says are outright lies and totally uninformed, lazy misinformation.

20. CMTC on March 24, 2021 at 11:21 pm

& i quote in nature theirs no gardens growing in raised beds of cow shit…😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 #done

21. Trevor Mandra on March 24, 2021 at 11:23 pm

Awesome looking pepper patch ya got there! I am happy to see that you have them so closely together, I have about 72 peppers to plant this year I am going to try and jam as many in as I can!

22. Back Garden - Reggie A on March 24, 2021 at 11:25 pm

Great information that I did not know about manure! Thank you.

23. Saint Michael on March 24, 2021 at 11:26 pm

There is a very, very big difference between Dairy Cow manure and Steer manure. Steer manure is a low quality fertilizer that is very high in Nitrogen and often burns plants. Dairy Cow manure is much more mild and higher in organic activity. The dairy cow is properly hydrated and fed with the quality of milk in mind. It’s quickly gaining popularity in the cannabis growers world even more so than gaunos. One of the leading potting soil amendment brands in the hydroponic store boast the benefits of Dairy cow manure along with some other common ingredients like perlite. Talking 50 dollars for a 2 cu ft bag. I just go to the dairy farm and get it for free.

24. sawadikin on March 24, 2021 at 11:26 pm

grow fruit thing chicken is the best. cow for leafy greens. need more other sources for boosting fruits plant if useing cow.

25. Constantine on March 24, 2021 at 11:27 pm

guy, you give good info but please try to stick to the point !!!!! thanks

26. Ranjit Samra on March 24, 2021 at 11:29 pm

What happened if plant grows very nice and after stop growing I put new soil and putting on enough water but still not working all cilantro and basil and other all herb not growing please give me advise but I m doing wrong

27. Masuda Ulde on March 24, 2021 at 11:30 pm

Sir hum odr dale but neem oil nahi hai

28. Raymond Head on March 24, 2021 at 11:32 pm

I have been composting for 50 years. Started at 26, Am now 76. I have heard the term, Killer compost only in the past 6 months. Is this some collage kids NEW term or have I just been out of touch with the rest of the world for a while. Herbicide, Sprayed on a grass pasture then later eaten by animals . And, or cut for hay and fed to animals, contaminating the manure to make “KILLER COM{POST”. SO !! Everyone believes this B/S , Because it’s on the internet. And everyone KNOWS , “IF IT’S on the NET , it HAS TO BE THE TRUTH”
    Herbicides, creating KILLER COMPOST is a B/S advertising gimmick. Thought up by the advertising Co. for a commercial composting Co. to get people to buy their product. All you need to do, is use a little common sense. And think for ONE minute. “IF” A Herbicide Co. WERE to be Stupid enough to make a Herbicide that lasted. HOW MUCH Herbicide, would they sell ??? Most Herbicides are designed to neutralize in one week to ten days. Any thing that lasts over two weeks is Highly controlled. You have to fill out forms proving you need it for a special reason. Other than farming. . . .K I L L E R , C O M P O S T . Sounds like the guy that poured salt around his watermelon plants , thinking he would not haver to add salt when he eat the melons.

29. MostlyWeed on March 24, 2021 at 11:32 pm

uncomposted manure (and I mean composted properly is bad enough without herbicide

30. Quantum Chang on March 24, 2021 at 11:32 pm

I’ve known people who uses their own urine as fertilizer and their plants are lush, healthy and green. I think that’s that safest form of animal based fertilizer you can get. After all, it is human urine and human foods and water has way less toxic chemical contaminations than farm animal feeds and water. Never use farm animal manure as fertilizer.

31. James Evans on March 24, 2021 at 11:33 pm

GGREEN COWW CHIC POO WWOORM HOWWW DDDDO U MAAKE MONEY TO PAAAAY 4 IT

32. Indira G on March 24, 2021 at 11:34 pm

What we do is we put all cow poos in one spot and over a time like 2 years fertilizer is ready, we mix them with soil and veggie grow well. By the way our cows eat only grass😝

33. John Ware on March 24, 2021 at 11:34 pm

Monsanto black ops helicopter coming for ya!

34. Oh Boy on March 24, 2021 at 11:34 pm

i use juicy pig shit bec i have farm ,and believe me tomatoes grows 3 times faster! 🙂

35. Felicia Vidal on March 24, 2021 at 11:36 pm

Do you want the answers?

36. Francine Flannery on March 24, 2021 at 11:38 pm

I don’t usually leave negative comments but he said so much at the beginning that had nothing to do with the title of the video.

37. Nancy K on March 24, 2021 at 11:38 pm

You can go 100% organic but man, the planes and helicopters you’ve got going on over you sounds like a war zone. But… You gave me a lot to think about. I just bought cow manure today and it’s going back. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

38. David Fullard on March 24, 2021 at 11:38 pm

Why cant Americans speak proper English????

39. Todd Walker on March 24, 2021 at 11:38 pm

Plant compost is just insect manure. I agree with your contamination concerns, but I don’t think worm droppings are that different from cow, chemically.

40. Jamila Ekukpe on March 24, 2021 at 11:38 pm

Thanks Bridget..jee wiz

41. James Evans on March 24, 2021 at 11:40 pm

I WILL HELP NO CUNNTIMAASIION

42. bryanbatton01 on March 24, 2021 at 11:42 pm

Can I use cow manure for my cannabis growing super soi mix

43. Joanne Lopes on March 24, 2021 at 11:43 pm

Love your videos! How often should I apply cow dung to my vegetable garden?

44. bryanbatton01 on March 24, 2021 at 11:43 pm

Can I use cow manure for my cannabis growing super soi mix

45. Lindsey Hardy on March 24, 2021 at 11:44 pm

Hi John. You mentioned about a diet very quickly that helps with cancer. Could you please explain what diet it is. My mom has terminal cancer and I would like to get the diet that would help her.

46. James Erbe on March 24, 2021 at 11:44 pm

Do you use biological pest control? Nematodes, encarsia, ladybird’s etc?

47. Happi on March 24, 2021 at 11:45 pm

Rambling guy can’t get to the point or answer concisely.

48. myxer516 on March 24, 2021 at 11:46 pm

I plan on growing in 100% worm castings do you think i will need to add anything else. The casting are from my own worms btw.

49. Felicia Vidal on March 24, 2021 at 11:48 pm

Depends on what vegetable it is but it’s more for grass

50. Donald Smith on March 24, 2021 at 11:48 pm

after the cow pies have set out in the sun and dryed out they are safer. ALL DROPPING HAVE MANY DIFFERENT THINGS THAT CAN MAKE YOU SICK! But most are OK after set in the sun and dryed. But if you get it when fresh and put in your garden you can get sick. The sun kills most of the bad things.