Top 5 Greenhouse Covering Materials

Top 5 materials used to cover greenhouses today.

Some Youtuber’s who made greenhouses:

@Bigelow Brook Farm (Web4Deb)
@BuildingaGreenhouse
@Shipman Farm – Home and Garden
@LDSPrepper

http://solexx.com – incredible covering material

I made a mistake. at 8:12 I’m featuring a covering from https://www.solawrapfilms.com – called Solawrap – it’s not Solexx. sorry folks and sorry Solawrap, other pictures do feature Solexx though….. looking into it more it seems solawrp is also a fantastic product and VERY affordable – I highly suggest looking into it.

Background Music – https://app.soundstripe.com/referrals/75481
Tropic like it’s hawt -Mikey Geiger
California Valley – PALA
This City Never Sleeps – PALA
Avantageous Alligator – Mikey Geiger

Simple Tek Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/SimpleTekVideos

SUBSCRIBE to Simple Tek – https://www.youtube.com/c/SimpleTek?sub_confirmation=1

1. Stephen Hill on March 27, 2021 at 11:28 pm

Thanks,now I have a hunny to build list 😂🔨

2. Steve Jacobson on March 27, 2021 at 11:28 pm

Hello there love your Greenhouse material video

3. Thomas Tucker on March 27, 2021 at 11:29 pm

Corrugated panels discoloring and brittle in 5 yrs in south Texas, hail storm shredded it.

4. geronimo on March 27, 2021 at 11:30 pm

Hi there I suggest doubling up corrigated sheets using rolls of self adhesive neoprene which can be bought in a variety of widths and thicknesses. small pieces off the roll could be used as spacers mid sheet and run the roll full width to end seal the doubled sheets

5. Surinder B on March 27, 2021 at 11:32 pm

I used corrugated fiber glass panels from Home Depot. Inside the greenhouse I put layer of pool covering from Amazon. Pool covering is cheap because its not though to be used for a greenhouse. Anything for greenhouse is expensive. It’s very durable too. There’s 4 inch gap between the panels and pool covering since the greenhouse is made with 2×4 lumber.

6. Paul Capell on March 27, 2021 at 11:32 pm

i built a dyi 8×20 greenhouse .I bought a ”used” 30′ clear pool cover , its like buble wrap and Its strong. I also used , ”used” patio doors as the window around the sides. Last summer and into January the plants were great. How long it will last here in Canada is yet to be determind.

7. Sunny Day on March 27, 2021 at 11:32 pm

2 years ago I used the corrugated panels on the outside of a framed greenhouse. Sealing all seams with silicone. The first summer day with low humidity, I used insulating 3 mil clear plastic and stapled to the inside of the frame. with the clear tape to seal all edges. I used a clear silicon exterior caulking adhesive and staples to attach. This seems to be working well. The air gap is the width of the 2×4 I have no idea what the R value is. I think because there is no wind stress on the plastic, it still looks brand new. Because I waited for the low humidity, I am not having any discoloration between. This is only on the sides, as I use the ends for ventilation. I am still working on having both on the ends. Hope this helps. BTW it was tedious to build, as I matched the hills and valleys carefully on the ends, so they could be completely sealed with the silicone and not allow moisture between the layers.

8. Science Troll on March 27, 2021 at 11:33 pm

This is an ad, isn’t it.

9. Jules Servin on March 27, 2021 at 11:36 pm

First off, I think I’ve learned a thing or two watching your videos. Thank you. I am wondering if it is possible to lay fiberglass over a geodesic dome and sand and polish smooth to a close to glass like transparent finish. I would really like to hear your thoughts on the possibilities if it’s possible.

10. 2TaYe. Ru on March 27, 2021 at 11:37 pm

Interesting, thank you

11. Niall Wildwoode on March 27, 2021 at 11:39 pm

Additional info : polytunnel/hoophouse polythene can last 10+years if researched. I had some that lasted 15 years before I dismantled the structure. Also, never use corrugated plastic panels in areas of extreme cold or high winds. This stuff is really brittle if hit by flying debris, or flexed in sub-zero temps. The best bang-for-your-buck is the inflated doubled polythene. A high tec example is The Eden Project, Cornwall, UK, where their laviathan greenhouse domes hold rainforests and savanas. Well worth a visit.

12. Lone Forest on March 27, 2021 at 11:43 pm

nice details

13. Trudy Schwartz-Burrill on March 27, 2021 at 11:44 pm

Good video. Need to learn how to keep plants in winter. Moved from CA to Texas. It’s a lot different and I hate when my plants die. So this information is very needed currently.

14. Randy Clark on March 27, 2021 at 11:45 pm

Your last thought about adding an air gap with currogated. why not just put it over the poly?

15. robert Ralston on March 27, 2021 at 11:45 pm

Putting a heavy clear plastic down on the framing before putting the rezalite panels down would give you some air space.

16. Mary-Lou Robb on March 27, 2021 at 11:47 pm

Great video, excellent informaton. Thank you!

17. Vee Solo on March 27, 2021 at 11:48 pm

Now this is what I like to see, everyone can get behind this and construct their own greenhouse 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

18. Adarsh GUPTA on March 27, 2021 at 11:48 pm

Music was more informative than the commentary.

19. Mike Montrose on March 27, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Don’t know why I watched this, not my interest. I use many different substrates in my work. From what you are saying I would go for 0.9mm PET sheeting. Relatively cheap, easy to work with even for an amateur, very tough, very durable, completely recyclable, easy to bend , scew, nail or glue to a surface. It does have a tendency to scratch. If I was building a greenhouse that has to be long lasting and on a budget , I would use PET 0.9mm as the outer layer and 0.5mm as the inner layer. Yes that is half of a millimeter and 0.9 of a millimeter. It will withstand goofball sized hail. I purchase 0.9 sheets 2500mm x 1250mm for R 325.09 (roughly $ 20.00 USD) . Easily cut with a box-cutter

20. Saddam Mall on March 27, 2021 at 11:53 pm

What about using net as covering,

21. Don Quixote on March 27, 2021 at 11:54 pm

Double up the corrugated plastic and offset the ripples to make tubes for air gaps

22. Firelake100 on March 27, 2021 at 11:55 pm

Why can’t you double up on the corrugated material? They have spacers which you can double up on, front to back and then have a nice air chamber.

23. navywife4evr on March 27, 2021 at 11:56 pm

Thank you!

24. ZoeBios121 on March 27, 2021 at 11:57 pm

With double Poly inflated the inner poly lasts a long time, right? Inflate a Poly sheet inside the corrugated panel for diffusion and insulation and I think you have something rigid, lasting and insulating for cheap.

25. Beverly Anne on March 27, 2021 at 11:57 pm

Great video. Can you try to get a microphone though? I found your voice inflects barotone and with the background music, it seems garbled. I think your research and personality really deserve the best presentation.

26. oilspeculatorhater on March 27, 2021 at 11:57 pm

Very informative. Thank you for sharing!

27. Art Bargerstock on March 27, 2021 at 11:59 pm

Great content but you sound like you are completely competing with your background music which is way too loud

28. Patrick Sullivan on March 27, 2021 at 11:59 pm

Good information

29. Brian on March 28, 2021 at 12:00 am

I assuming you want more UV rays for better growth, if your growing food, no?

30. Richard Sims on March 28, 2021 at 12:01 am

Why not space two fiberglass panels?
    Dab of silicone and a spacer every so often.
    I don’t want to redo polly when I’m in my 70s but I will still want to garden.

31. Jo Wi on March 28, 2021 at 12:04 am

I’m just planning on building a huge Greenhouse this here so perfect timing thank you.

32. TheRoon4660 on March 28, 2021 at 12:05 am

I found your video very interesting and informative as well as very well laid out. I wish more documentaries that try to teach you something were so well done. I just subscribed.

33. Wayne Smith on March 28, 2021 at 12:08 am

Air gap for corrugated plastic? Try bubble wrap maybe?

34. Michael Bucci on March 28, 2021 at 12:09 am

Thank you for the information.

35. Frank Tennyson on March 28, 2021 at 12:11 am

thanks —- I learned about polycarbonate from you … Think I’ll use it… & get a blower…

36. Eugene Lynch on March 28, 2021 at 12:11 am

I just watched this video today. I’d like to add to technosarus’s comment, which by the way is an excellent idea. In addition to adding corrugated plastic on the roof, install a layer of plastic film 1st on the roof top, then install corrugated plastic on top of plastic film.Then drill 1 inch holes thru the roof trusses and side walls, install another plastic film layer inside for the roof and side walls, finally install blowers thru-out to add a layer of air to blow thru drilled holes similar to a double wall poly plastic film. Just a thought as I just bought an 20.5 acre property here in Monarch, MT and plan to build solar for my all year round 3 bedroom cabin which I will have 2 DIY Mr. Cool 24,000 BTU units for heating and cooling, 2 Mr. Heater propane wall mounted units kicking out 30,000 BTU for upstairs and downstairs, tin roof, gutters and downspouts for a rain water catch system. I will also instal in the green house geothermal & another DIY Mr. Cool 24,000 BTU dedicated to a solar system. Probably be in the summer of 2022 for the greenhouse build. I really have enjoyed this video and if anyone has any suggestions that would help me for my build I would love to hear them because I want to be able to grow year round vegetables and cannabis. Thank you.

37. Simple Tek on March 28, 2021 at 12:12 am

Let me know what kind of greenhouse covering you are using or planning to use and why!!!!!!

38. Tran Vien on March 28, 2021 at 12:13 am
  39. politiv nhaluoi on March 28, 2021 at 12:15 am

Dawn company is the exclusive importer and distributor of Israel polymer membrane in Vietnam-http://mangphunhakinh.vn/

40. Kristine Kosmides on March 28, 2021 at 12:17 am

I always wanted to live in a Greenhouse. From this video I learned glass is best.
    Polycarbonate sounds 2nd best along with corregated panels or double layered poly.

41. John Weiss on March 28, 2021 at 12:18 am

7:08 How about double-layer corrugated, to create insulation air-pockets? Oh, 9:12 maybe you’re thinking of that!

42. David Fuller on March 28, 2021 at 12:18 am

Commenting! Like it diy! Great information! Thanks!!!
    Sub’d &Bell’d

43. OneTribe HMU on March 28, 2021 at 12:23 am

Thanks!

44. J Wilson on March 28, 2021 at 12:24 am

Excellent explanations!

45. Keith Lawson on March 28, 2021 at 12:25 am

good info, thx

46. Joan Smith on March 28, 2021 at 12:26 am

Solawrap?

47. O.V.M on March 28, 2021 at 12:26 am

Thank you for helping me with my school project, and your videos are enjoyable to watch

48. Kathie Swan on March 28, 2021 at 12:27 am

Thank you for the video. Very interested in various greenhous/year round growing options.

49. Jarjarjar21 on March 28, 2021 at 12:27 am

Wondering about combining corigated and polywraps ( the cheap roller stuff)…

50. Deyanira Fondeur on March 28, 2021 at 12:28 am

just what I needed. thank you