Watch This BEFORE Buying Garden Soil for Vegetable Patch

Buying garden soil for your vegetable garden? Watch this video first to find the best garden soil to buy!

Support me on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/selfsufficientme

Help support the Channel and buy a T-shirt/Merchandise from our Spreadshirt shop: https://goo.gl/ygrXwU

Shop on Amazon for plants: https://bit.ly/2yRFNGQ

Shop for plants on eBay Australia: https://bit.ly/2BPCykb

Blog: http://www.selfsufficientme.com/ (use the search bar on my website to find info on certain subjects)

Forum: http://www.selfsufficientculture.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SelfSufficie…

Twitter: https://twitter.com/SufficientMe

Subscribe to my channel: http://goo.gl/cpbojR

Self Sufficient Me is based on our small 3-acre property/homestead in SE Queensland Australia about 45kms north of Brisbane – the climate is subtropical (similar to Florida). I started Self Sufficient Me in 2011 as a blog website project where I document and write about backyard food growing, self-sufficiency, and urban farming in general. I love sharing my foodie and DIY adventures online so come along with me and let’s get into it! Cheers, Mark πŸ™‚

1. Lady Arugula on March 27, 2021 at 10:55 pm

G’day!

2. Dawayne Duffy on March 27, 2021 at 10:56 pm

Mate one of your best videos. A great garden always starts with the great soil πŸ‘

3. Jennifer Bishop on March 27, 2021 at 10:57 pm

i live in literally the opposite environment/climate as this man and yet i’ve been binge watching his videos for three days.

4. AO on March 27, 2021 at 10:57 pm

Observation trial and error sounds like a scientist to me. Much better than the center for the disease control of the United States talking crap about how virus controls us

5. David Schmidt on March 27, 2021 at 10:58 pm

I really enjoy listening and learning from you Sir….I am a subscriber…but at around 13 minutes in you said to make sure the soil you gets screened…how do you do that????
    Truth be told I hate big box stores anymore, sure I’ll go there from time to time but to me they’re for weekend warrorers ( can’t spell I know and I’m not trying to offend anyone, sorry if I did) but yeah…how do you screen, also friend it would really help me if you could do a video on composting and how to keep rodents and such away….more in particular….I have a fungus gnats investation on my compost already…any ideas would be appreciated…. PS….your help is not for nothing…. anytime someone weather it be FB or a next door neighbor really wants to get into gardening…. it’s guy’s like you and Shamus O’Leary and Jake the mase that I reference them too…..word of mouth, best advirtisment right????
    Thank you so much for all the videos….I have addddddddddd…. LOL, my brain just can’t process things like normal people can…. I’ll think " what about this or what about that" so being able to get hands on and explaining along the way helps so so much, especially when I can connect to your style of teaching, which with you is easy….anyhow thank you friend……you guy’s are my heroes πŸŒ»πŸ“πŸŒ½πŸ»πŸ€ πŸ₯¦πŸ₯•πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘

6. Donna Brenneman on March 27, 2021 at 11:00 pm

WE built a raised bed garden last year and we made this same mistake. We bought the high quality garden soil from a landscape company. We did add some cow manure to it . It took all summer to produce a crop. We live in Oregon and we have good soil here but we live on a river so we have lots of river rock in our soil so its hard to dig up good rich soil without rock. This year we have to fix the soil. Thanks for all your tips. I love your garden and all your videos. Winter is killing me and I just can’t wait to get my hands in the soil again. Gardening feeds the soul!

7. David Watson on March 27, 2021 at 11:02 pm

I made the same mistake last year.

8. Adnit Kadrii on March 27, 2021 at 11:04 pm

I just get the soil from the local forest, top layer is black full of organic materials, leaves etc, and beneath that is a red soil which has all on the inorganic components. I mix it 50 50 and voila the best soil you can get and it’s all for free.

9. Mereana Kopa on March 27, 2021 at 11:05 pm

Fantastic blessing of information regards pest control throughly a encrease of knowledge. May l please purchase some Astic 🌽 from you as l feel mine have been stolen from a two legged human pest. Black and the red seeds if l may please πŸ™. A wonder job l must say…From your fruits of your labor you will be known . God Bless

10. Neilo Mac on March 27, 2021 at 11:06 pm

Your enthusiasm is legendary we have 6 weeks before I can really β€œget into it” πŸ‘

11. JESSICA ELIZABETH FULLER on March 27, 2021 at 11:06 pm

You’re a legend! Love your videos – educational, helpful and entertaining! much love from SA πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡¦πŸŒ±πŸ’š

12. .7mm-08 flat on March 27, 2021 at 11:06 pm

πŸ‘

13. Precious Hernandez on March 27, 2021 at 11:10 pm

Them: Watching Tiktok
    Me: Watching this guy teach about gardening

14. Derek Thompson on March 27, 2021 at 11:12 pm

The same thing happened to me on my first load of bulk "garden soil" for my raised beds. It looked good and felt good, but as soon as it rained, the "soil" turned to dirt and all the rocks seemed to float to the surface. Unfortunately, I have few options other than buying dozens of bags, so I worked with the company to blend a soil for me that has a higher ratio of leaf compost to "screened topsoil." Saves me money to buy in bulk, and saves my back from lugging bags from Home Depot.

15. Yellow Status on March 27, 2021 at 11:12 pm

Thanks sound advice

16. Ted Weddell on March 27, 2021 at 11:12 pm

I’ve been watching your videos from my inner city apartment. Oh, how I want to get a big plot of land and get into gardening. I would be so happy there.

17. IRAdulting on March 27, 2021 at 11:13 pm

I watched this before finishing my raised beds….STILL got duped into poor soil. It was cheap at least and over a year of "treating" with a lot more organic matter has now started showing a lot more success by the end of last year. This year I’ve stepped up my game and my family gave me X-Mas gifts of manure and vegetable seeds. I Was beside myself with joy.

18. Catherine Grace on March 27, 2021 at 11:13 pm

We bought soil and it is great except it doesn’t hold water the way I needed for it to. I added worm tea and castings and it has acted as a binder. It has softened the soil right up. Beautiful looking mushrooms start popping too. The soil we bought has a good proportion of mushroom spore.
    Soil is everything. Good soil is everything.

19. Lindy Coop on March 27, 2021 at 11:16 pm

Thanks Mark for a simple and straight forward direction about buying and improving garden soil. It has been a mystery to me for years.

20. dominichokage on March 27, 2021 at 11:16 pm

I’m no gardener but this topic is just fascinating and I’m binging through so many videos learning about how to grow plants.

21. Robert Maynard on March 27, 2021 at 11:17 pm

Ps..1 compost bin per tree…the 200ltr bins…πŸ‘Œ

22. Byron Edgars on March 27, 2021 at 11:18 pm

The silent swallow karyologically chase because yew minimally remember around a past mall. adhesive, flat committee

23. Raymond Coghlan on March 27, 2021 at 11:20 pm

I have very much appreciated all the insights gained by subscribing. Each of your casts are inspiring. The various containers amaze me. Some look like you have bought others appear built. I decided to use galvanized water troughs as my climate!, what veg can be planted together and which not at allnew raised garden. I live in north west Louisiana, a completely different climate than New Orleans. And not sure of the comparison with your climate!!
    Please advise

24. Robert Maynard on March 27, 2021 at 11:21 pm

Totally agree Mark, being a natural gardener myself and did the shovel bit like you…being only 68, I know,doesn’t matter how Young you are🦧, we are always learning…I have placed a couple of upright compost bins next to my fruit tree’s, about 3metres away, as a way of naturally enriching the soil next to my dwarf orange tree’s, they are pumping…Thanks for your informative and clear videos Mate,…Keep Living Your Dream…πŸŒˆπŸŒ„πŸ¦œ

25. Chris Whitton on March 27, 2021 at 11:22 pm

Brilliant advice as always. Thanks Mark

26. Phahel7 on March 27, 2021 at 11:23 pm

8:24 I spot an ET! Love my entrenching tool. Going to be so bad if they want it back when I discharge from the military. I’ve had it for 13 years, it’s basically a part of me now and even my neighbours love borrowing it

27. Kiros on March 27, 2021 at 11:23 pm

This is why i don’t trust sales people.

28. Ian Manson on March 27, 2021 at 11:25 pm

Very good video.
    This guy makes the best videos with excellent advice πŸ‘
    Much love

29. Shannon Lowe on March 27, 2021 at 11:27 pm

Have you ever added molasses to your soil? We have with great success. The bugs in the soil love it, in my humble opinion.

30. BLURRED GLASSES on March 27, 2021 at 11:28 pm

So many things to do, so little time. Let me help 😊

31. Letmegiveyouhell on March 27, 2021 at 11:31 pm

Where do I get containers like the ones you use for growing different fruits.

32. Gene Wells on March 27, 2021 at 11:31 pm

Good morning my brother this is the prayer Warrior I wished I had watch this video before I went and bought soil thank you so much for your knowledge and I will be praying for your great success in your business and on YouTube this YouTube thing is new to me I’m old-school just learning how to use this phone just remember you got someone praying for you Jesus nameπŸ˜‡

33. Matthew Soukup on March 27, 2021 at 11:32 pm

The intro was legend. Well done, I love the two handed toss as you were walking away.
    Love the channel, love the info. You are the best.

34. A N on March 27, 2021 at 11:32 pm

My dad had Chickens and roosters in the backyard all my life, now that he moved them to his farm, I am enjoying the richest garden soil.

35. Solo Aussie Off Grid Living on March 27, 2021 at 11:33 pm

how long do those corrugated steel garden beds last. I want to put a heap of new beds in and looking for something that will last. I have termites in my area (east of Perth) so wooden beds need to be treated wood.

36. My personal life Al Habsy on March 27, 2021 at 11:34 pm

Animals are expensive who will compose it free for you in the soil..

37. m on March 27, 2021 at 11:34 pm

I have learned so much from watching just a couple of your videos that I have subscribed. Thank you.

38. Yantan Tethera on March 27, 2021 at 11:34 pm

This is exactly what I wanted info on!

39. Delia Chitts on March 27, 2021 at 11:35 pm

Thanks Mark as usual have learnt so much have shared with my garden friends .

40. Humbug Homestead on March 27, 2021 at 11:35 pm

Hi Mark,
    We are starting our channel in a couple of weeks when we move to our new property.
    What are your thoughts about purchasing soil from supplier and the adding your own organic material as a quicker start to improving the quality of the soil as opposed to making comete compost.

41. Laura Holzler on March 27, 2021 at 11:36 pm

Thank you, this video was super helpful. This explains a few things I had been wondering.

42. Thumbalina Dee on March 27, 2021 at 11:38 pm

This guys DOPE! definitely a new passion I’ve always loved gardening just haven’t done so in ages – and good for mental health ..πŸ˜€

43. Matthew Coleman on March 27, 2021 at 11:42 pm

Love your work

44. Campbell Rhodes on March 27, 2021 at 11:43 pm

The gullible gusty lawyer explicitly admire because respect micrencephaly replace till a jobless decade. massive, heavenly heavy hellish dry

45. rholdnr on March 27, 2021 at 11:44 pm

Love your channel! Keep it coming!

46. Bee Music on March 27, 2021 at 11:48 pm

3:44 Self Suffficient Me has Observation Haki πŸ‘€

47. JAHANGEER MOHAMMED on March 27, 2021 at 11:48 pm

He is the Professor of Garden. Where you want to watch his video again and again and more and lectures we learn and we enjoy at the same time. Ton of useful information with fun.

48. Alan Hill on March 27, 2021 at 11:50 pm

So many projects, so little time. That sounds just like me. Because I am doing so many projects. I need to listen in the evening to your advice, so I don’t ruin one project because I wanted to get on with the next project too quickly. I will stop rushing around so much, especially in the garden. Thanks for the many tips.

49. Sky Leonidas on March 27, 2021 at 11:51 pm

why dont you fill the thing with cow shit and put worm eggs in there?

50. Steliana Petronela on March 27, 2021 at 11:51 pm

That’s exactly what happened to me – I started thinking I am a bad gardener, but it was the soil …I struggled a lot with growing anything with that garbage