How to grow Greenhouse Tomatoes

How to grow Greenhouse Tomatoes

After sowing tomato seeds, pricking the seedlings out, and growing the plants on, it’s now time to plant in the greenhouse. In cooler climates, or places that suffer Blight, it’s better to grow tomatoes under cover.

In this video I share my tips on growing tomatoes in the greenhouse including how to plant them, training them to grow up a string, and how I use clay pots, called Ollas, as self-waterers.

Along with growing my tomatoes in a long planter using organic compost and composted manure, I’m also growing two in a conventional grow-bag. Over the summer we’ll be comparing how the tomato plants do and any differences between the two growing mediums.

Questions for you:
1. Are you growing tomatoes this year? If so, what’s your set-up like?
2. Have you ever tried using an Olla before?

See the other videos in the tomato growing series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvcIjhASxid4KmtwcIhz9D4c0Ov2_tuLL

Interested in how I make videos? Here’s my essential equipment*

Main camera https://amzn.to/2HHa3bp
Main camera lens https://amzn.to/2UUlbF7
Secondary camera https://amzn.to/2YgcUgC
Secondary camera tripod https://amzn.to/2JGxDqE
Microphone https://amzn.to/2Uh0fLv

*Lovely Greens is a participant in Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Basically I make a small commission if you end up making a purchase. Thank you for your support.

1. If you enjoyed this video please give it a thumbs up and subscribe over here: https://www.youtube.com/user/lovelygreenstv?sub_confirmation=1

2. Remember to TURN ON notifications to know when new videos are out

3. Subscribe to my free weekly newsletter: https://www.subscribepage.com/lovelygreens

4. Have a question or comment? Please leave them below — I love to hear from you!

5. Support Lovely Greens https://paypal.me/lovelygreens — thank you so much for helping make Lovely Greens happen.

ABOUT LOVELY GREENS

Tanya Anderson of Lovely Greens: Live simply, grow your own, make natural things

#backyardgardening #greenhouse #vegetablegarden

1. Gigi on March 30, 2021 at 11:37 pm

They look great!

2. Missouri Girl on March 30, 2021 at 11:37 pm

So glad you ordered the sun gold. You will love them. I grow one sungold, one sweet 100 and one yellow pear all together on a teepee. They look so beautiful growing together and so fun to eat together, all different colors. I don’t know how you did it but you did a super job cleaning the stains off that glass and floor of the greenhouse!!

3. Sherry 2 on March 30, 2021 at 11:37 pm

I have used string trellis method for my tomatoes for several years but mine are outside. I have found it so much easier to prune, water, maintain and harvest the plants. I like the idea of the clay pots but my plants are in containers. Your plants look great! Good luck to you in the first garden in your new home!

4. David Richardson on March 30, 2021 at 11:40 pm

Great video. I just built a greenhouse and added some tomato plants. They look terrible. I suspect I was watering too liberally on the leaves themselves and caused fungi or something? They’re curled up and browning. I’m watering every 2nd or 3rd day depending on how hot the day gets. thoughts? Thanks for any suggestions. (by contrast, my bell peppers and jalapenos are doing great).

5. TheWicklunds25 on March 30, 2021 at 11:41 pm

Just for the record it’s TOE MAY TOE not TOE MOTT TOE. Just like it’s POE TAY TOE not POE TOT TOE. But who really cares right? 🙂

6. Stacy Ann Walker on March 30, 2021 at 11:45 pm

Another great video very informative thank you 😊

7. najlaa al-sayigh on March 30, 2021 at 11:45 pm

8. Samina Irfan on March 30, 2021 at 11:45 pm

Do you put holes at the bottom of grow bags for drainage?

9. Aklima Khatun on March 30, 2021 at 11:45 pm

I love your gardening. Thanks from Canada.

10. Mark Peacock on March 30, 2021 at 11:50 pm

I put my growbags on their sides, so you can plant deeper and put two side by side .

11. Peter Goulding on March 30, 2021 at 11:50 pm

I have been using the quadgrow self watering system for the last couple of seasons & found it to be really good. You will like the Sungold very sweet cherry toms.

12. Kenneth Gourley on March 30, 2021 at 11:50 pm

The worst that will happen to the fruits with the exposure to cold temperatures is cat facing.

13. EcoCentric Homestead on March 30, 2021 at 11:54 pm

Hmmmm….. With that string idea, I am going to modify the supports I put in my tomato planters! Thank you!
    Growing outside…. Yes I had tomato seed sprout, grow a plant, and even got green tomatoes off it in the garden last year! And I live in Newfoundland!!!!
    Against a south facing wall or in a built sun trap is a good idea to try. A sun trap is a curved wall with the inside of the curve facing toward the midday sun.

14. Jackie Horsley on March 30, 2021 at 11:56 pm

enjoyed your video I am glad you were able to safe your tomatoe plants that would of been a shame to lose out on all your hard work and thank you for all your tips as well well take care and god bless

15. Daniela Rouge on March 30, 2021 at 11:56 pm

Wonderful! Splendid! I have arranged my greenhouse in your manner, but put the boards on kind of tables, should I make holes in the bottom boards? The boards are 20 cm deep, I mean the tomatoes will have 20 cm deep of compost and manure,should that be enough? On the floor of the greenhouse I poured concrete. Thank you so much!

16. birdiepro1 on March 30, 2021 at 11:57 pm

do you heat your greenhouse or do you grow your tomatoes during the winter?

17. Annemarie Büschkes on March 30, 2021 at 11:57 pm

Hi Tanja, thank you for this wonderful video. I did have problems too with my tomatoes. Finally I bought tomato plants and planted them in my greenhouse. Now we’ll wait and see what the year will give. But never give up.

18. double ooh 7 on March 30, 2021 at 11:57 pm

you can buy organic soil on ebay theres 56 organic nutrients in organic compost

19. Donald Ash on March 30, 2021 at 11:59 pm

I have been gardening for about 45 years and i still learn something new on all your videos !!

20. Treina Densley on March 30, 2021 at 11:59 pm

Do you need rotate your tomato crops? I thought you said you grow tomatoes in the same bed.

21. D N on March 31, 2021 at 12:00 am

I grow tomato plants outside in the UK. I have mesh 7ft with bean, nasturtiums and sweet peas. Then tomato plants 18 inch in front. This helps with heat and cold to protect the plants. All top 8ft tall. Sungold take the weather well. Better each year if from own seeds. They retain soil and weather for your garden.

22. Vicki Takacs on March 31, 2021 at 12:03 am

How is that bag deep enough to support the roots a tomato has to have and the support tomatoes need because their tops get so high and heavy? That sunny wall should work like a charm as I’ve seen others do that, have other plants die nearby from the cold, but actually overwinter the ones on the wall side.

23. Grow Your Own Food on March 31, 2021 at 12:03 am

I am using the aeroponics method with my tomatoes and the results are amazing!.

24. Mr. Robot on March 31, 2021 at 12:10 am

the stems on my tomatoes expand a fair amount, so instead of tying the string to the base i just make a large knot on the end and place it under the root ball making a "U-shape".

25. NYORAI HOTONDO on March 31, 2021 at 12:10 am

凄く参考になる動画ですね、コルクの保湿からの水分補給とか目からウロコでした!thank you😊

26. Castulo Rivera on March 31, 2021 at 12:10 am

I love you and the tomatoes.

27. Andy Watson on March 31, 2021 at 12:11 am

Absolute superb video with some great ideas, at the moment my tomatoes have just germinated and been pricked out. I will be putting mine in PB bags

28. Ollie Broadie on March 31, 2021 at 12:11 am

I love your show. Looking forward to the update in these tomotoes. Wishing you all the best for your channel.

29. Kelly's Kitchen Garden on March 31, 2021 at 12:12 am

There are a number of blight resistant varieties of outdoor tomatoes available in the UK. Crimson Crush being a very popular variety. Cherry tomatoes grow fantastically well outdoors and are less likely to be affected by blight, as they’re quick to mature. I’m growing a number of varieties outdoors here in Scotland this year and next year I have my eye on lots of short season heirloom varieties. Great video as always. Hope you’re well and enjoying the warmer weather 😊🌱

30. TheWicklunds25 on March 31, 2021 at 12:14 am

I can tell you’re not from England OR New Zealand. So, where do you call home?

31. double ooh 7 on March 31, 2021 at 12:17 am

air prunning would eat beat one planted in the grown in size

32. Grow Your Own Food on March 31, 2021 at 12:17 am

This is awesome! I am using the aeroponics method and my tomatoes are going crazy!

33. JayneMarie on March 31, 2021 at 12:17 am

The greenhouse looks wonderful!
    Really cleaned up nicely!

34. Hand to Spoon- Garden KH on March 31, 2021 at 12:18 am

I am so delighted to seeing your videos and now I am starting to love growing plants at my home too.

35. Patricia Hoerger on March 31, 2021 at 12:18 am

Hi I live in the states I’m originally from New Jersey the home of the famous "Jersey" tomatoes, I moved to upstate NY about 10 years ago and have been trying to grow tomatoes ever since. There is a 10 degree difference in the weather even though it’s only a state away. Most times I can get a plant to grow around 6 or so tomatoes that’s it all season unless they are the cherry variety.
    My dad used to grow as many as 75 plants at a time we had tons of tomatoes and there is nothing that can compare to a sweet Jersey tomato! Which I so easily took for granted until I moved. They love heat and humidity. Good luck with your tomatoes, I would definitely grow them along that wall they will love that.

36. Donald Ash on March 31, 2021 at 12:20 am

Love your videos !!!!

37. Dualpaladin on March 31, 2021 at 12:20 am

just saw your mushroom log vid how are they going

38. TheWicklunds25 on March 31, 2021 at 12:21 am

Wow, a plastic pot cover that was actually made in England… Not in China? Maybe that’s only a US phenomenon… Trading… Who can know the ins and outs except maybe those in the NWO.

39. Mary Phillips on March 31, 2021 at 12:21 am

When we have our polytunnel finally erected and covered I intend to grow my tomatoes like this, in raised beds in the greenhouse. Thank you for sharing your video… I can’t wait to make my terracotta self watering pots 😊

40. TheWicklunds25 on March 31, 2021 at 12:21 am

The hottest ladies in the world are greenhouse gardeners. Right? It must get to 40+ celsius in there!!

41. barb smyth on March 31, 2021 at 12:21 am

nice to see the tomatoes came back strong…those grow bags are different from the ones i’ve seen…i once grew pumpkins in a bag of potting soil (because i didn’t have an established garden) and they came out beautiful…enjoy the beautiful weather…

42. cm5238 on March 31, 2021 at 12:25 am

Maybe a silly question but do you also water the tomatoes in the beds and the olla is a back up or is the olla the sole water source and you just make sure that its topped up regularly?

43. James Lewis on March 31, 2021 at 12:26 am

Z

44. Chappaz03 on March 31, 2021 at 12:27 am

r u british or american

45. Nick on March 31, 2021 at 12:28 am

46. Jim M on March 31, 2021 at 12:29 am

You say ‘tomarto’, fantastic!! Do you adjust to ‘tomayto’ when you visit the folks? 😀

47. PrettyAliceMoon on March 31, 2021 at 12:29 am

I’ve never heard of that type of grow bag. Usually when I hear the term grow bag it’s referring to those fabric pots.

48. Deep Water John Rask on March 31, 2021 at 12:30 am

Thank You!

49. celestialdream49 on March 31, 2021 at 12:32 am

I love the way you say "Tomatoes"… 😀 Great Video – keep posting updates.

50. 1jw2 on March 31, 2021 at 12:32 am

You are absolutely adorable! I need a woman like you in my life!