Jackfruit is Fruiting 18 Months From Seed!

We are in Zone 9B, just 30 miles north of Tampa, FL & are now fruiting Jackfruit at only a year and a 1/2 in our High Tunnel Greenhouse. We are obsessed with a good jackfruit & over the last few years we’ve been propogating out all of our seeds from the best fruit we eat. (We don’t save the seeds if the specimen is less than desirable: Our favorites are the super fragrant, semi-firm to firm with low latex.)

If you want to see our other videos about Jackfruit:
Hunting for Easy-Peel JACKFRUIT at the USDA Tropical Research Center – https://youtu.be/ifn1-Ti65hE

Queen of Fruit Hunting Loves Jackfruit + Tropical Fruit Rooms at Fairchild Gardens – https://youtu.be/JONnlRFTu-o

How to OPEN & EAT A JACKFRUIT, Plus Saving Seeds for Growing Trees – https://youtu.be/OLtnKiavjqs

1. Vegas on March 30, 2021 at 11:32 pm

Awesome video..what would you recommend if a small jackfruit tree is yellowing and the leaves are drying up?

2. Geriann Roth on March 30, 2021 at 11:33 pm

Gosh Pete please send me some suggestions of select fruit & flowering trees your nursery has that i can grow here in the tropical island of Barbados West Indies. I will find out the necessary documents we will need to ship obviously when Covid 19 issues settles.
    I just learnt about the Pulasan it looks delicious

3. Momma Jen on March 30, 2021 at 11:33 pm

I’ve got one in the ground in FL going on 3 years now, and it’s half the size!

4. Santhosh Kumar S on March 30, 2021 at 11:35 pm

It has to be grafted, jackfruit from seed takes more than 10 years to fruit.

5. Zippy Cohen on March 30, 2021 at 11:37 pm

lololol

6. All about life 22 on March 30, 2021 at 11:38 pm

I’m South Indian and I wanna grow jackfruit and banana tree in Canada. That’s y im watching this video. But im in doubt whether the snow could ruin the plant

7. Lady Skywalker on March 30, 2021 at 11:39 pm

Can you send me some cuttings of your jackfruit?

8. Garotti Garotti on March 30, 2021 at 11:40 pm

What plastic to use on a greenhouse?

9. Anji Chitti on March 30, 2021 at 11:43 pm

How many years required to give fruit…this seedlings

10. ajmal31 on March 30, 2021 at 11:46 pm

Awesome!

11. Alicia on March 30, 2021 at 11:49 pm

Do you know what variety the seed came from?

12. Jepoy32 on March 30, 2021 at 11:50 pm

New friend lodi,m8
    … ..
    Ganyan din me ,tulungan t u
    ….. …. ….

13. Nick Diesslin on March 30, 2021 at 11:51 pm

What kind of wizardry did you use to make a jackfruit tree grow that large in 18 months?

14. Andre Langston on March 30, 2021 at 11:52 pm

I’ve seen you talk about the jack frost jackfruit you have outside, where can I get one?

15. ShariqXYZ on March 30, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Thank your for documenting this success story about Jackfruit. I am based in Lahore, and we have plenty of fruits that grow here (citrus, mango etc, many of which grow in Florida as well). Do have a view of our work: http://www.facebook.com/FruitTribe

16. Linh N. Vu on March 30, 2021 at 11:53 pm

Jackfruit: king of the fruit. I grow up with south east asian fruit, just by looking at the jackfruit tree with its jackfruits makes me feel so happy!!

17. David Dsouza on March 30, 2021 at 11:54 pm

R u in Florida .USA?

18. JesusReallyDoesLoveYou dot com on March 30, 2021 at 11:56 pm

That is so exciting!!! http://www.JesusReallyDoesLoveYou.com

19. Thomas Sutherland on March 30, 2021 at 11:56 pm

Thanks for Sharing. found your channel through Justin Rhodes. my girlfriends son has some Jackfruit seed that are sprouting and I know nothing on how to plant them. could you give me some more info on how to plant, spacing, soil prep. etc. you may comment, or email me at Tsutherland74@gmail.com. I just moved from Asheville, back down to central Florida recently. and I am learning the new climate and growing food. Thanks.

20. JoAnne on March 30, 2021 at 11:58 pm

What are you going to do when it wants to grow 70 feet?

21. Ken Brown on March 30, 2021 at 11:58 pm

Could I grow mango and jack fruit in Sacramento , California !!!!???? Palm trees make it through the winter , here !!!!

22. Andre Bell on March 31, 2021 at 12:00 am

2:17 shows the flowers. Will be planting my first seeds this week. Thx for showing the potential of sooner than three years fruiting

23. chefdagga RASTAFARI on March 31, 2021 at 12:01 am

Greetings.. I’m growing jackfruit frm seeds myself for fun…how long does it usually take before it fruit? Great information and thanks for sharing

24. Bonduren on March 31, 2021 at 12:03 am

Have You ever met snake on your greenhouse?

25. Zedian Zediessi on March 31, 2021 at 12:05 am

I’m here from the agroforestry video. I’m really inspired and trying to grow jackfruit in California thanks for great videos any information helps especially on soil and fertilizers

26. Waterlily pond on March 31, 2021 at 12:05 am

Can you please tel us what is te type of seeds you planted because there are may types of jack fruits they say and how is your plant doing today?

27. Aakrit Shrestha on March 31, 2021 at 12:06 am

What climate zone do you live in? I’ve just planted my 1st jackfruit from seed and it is about 4-5 months old. Now since it’s winter the growth has stunted . Mine is about 2 ft tall and 4-5 mm wide. My zone is same s as Florida.

28. Kev O on March 31, 2021 at 12:06 am

Hey sir, any updates on that jackfruit??

29. FortMyers FruitForest on March 31, 2021 at 12:07 am

This was the video that got me real hyped to grow jakfruit. i bought seedlings shortly after watching from echo farms. Two out of four are starting to flower now! Thanks pete for Inspiration!

30. FlowerCollector on March 31, 2021 at 12:07 am

Where do you live???

31. Courtney Matthews on March 31, 2021 at 12:08 am

I bought a jackfruit from Publix and got the seeds to sprout. I heard farmers deactivate the seeds for some produce does that mean mine wont ever bear fruit?

32. Joanne J on March 31, 2021 at 12:09 am

Jackfruit is my most favorite fruit!

33. Craft Rosales on March 31, 2021 at 12:13 am

I just order a plant hope it grows well

34. egscsthns1 on March 31, 2021 at 12:13 am

from seed or cloned?

35. Peter Crown on March 31, 2021 at 12:14 am

Just found a jackfruit at publix and planning on collecting some seeds to grow , never had one but sure giving it a try

36. Phillip Lucas on March 31, 2021 at 12:17 am

Hi Pete. What OMRI 4-6-4 fertilizer do you use? And where can I find it in Central Florida?

37. My fav jaymon on March 31, 2021 at 12:18 am

Do persimonns fruit in tropical climate

38. johnys classroom on March 31, 2021 at 12:19 am

where can i get a plant

39. Stephen K on March 31, 2021 at 12:19 am

That’s beautiful, and really fast to fruit from seed!
    I love jackfruit. In Brazil we have two types: ‘hard’ and ‘soft’ —I imagine additional varietals that I’m still unaware of exist in Asia.

Out of curiosity, have you grown durian in Florida, and got fruit? (I realise that they’re not as closely related to jackfruit as might appear, but they do both require warmth and humidity.)

40. James Tropicals on March 31, 2021 at 12:21 am

Seriously 18 months old? Thats Quite young to produce fruit!!

41. Gwendolyn Brown on March 31, 2021 at 12:23 am

PLEASE can YOU possibly tell me, CAN you root a Banana tree from a Banana flower? Ive ALWAYS been curious, and since I noticed that Banana tree behind you, I was wondering. I’m dying to grow a Banana tree for food and garden compost.

42. Cameron Rye on March 31, 2021 at 12:24 am

I hope you see this but I’ve been growing jackfruit from seed for about 3-4 months and they are around a foot tall but recently some of the leaves have curled under and some are even brown what can I do?

43. prasad karlekar on March 31, 2021 at 12:25 am

Is this not grafted?

44. Louise Ahmed on March 31, 2021 at 12:26 am

Wow that is amazing. I’m trying to grow Jackfruit from a seed. Mine are small in containers and survived frost but dropped leaves. What kind of soil do you recommend? Slightly acidic or not?

45. OldDog NewTricks on March 31, 2021 at 12:29 am

Hi, I have a few questions about jack fruit. 1 Can you plant them in the shade, 2 can you cut them back to 2 meters to keep them shortish, may be even like a bush? Thanks,

46. OnSiteTrav on March 31, 2021 at 12:29 am

Pete new subscriber here in Sarasota! I also have Jackfruit from seed. Best planing placement in your opinion? Full sun well drained soil?

47. James Tropicals on March 31, 2021 at 12:30 am

How did you even get that jackfruit tree to flower in 18 months!? That is extremely lucky

48. Yogesh Panwar on March 31, 2021 at 12:30 am

Good job sir ji👍👌👌👌👌👌

49. Shanti Rajan on March 31, 2021 at 12:31 am

Hi there. I have 3 jackfruit plants from seed, 4 months old and healthy. I live in UK and have a green house. Will mine fruit? Did yours fruit and was it tasty? Great video and dying to know if that flower produced a fruit for you! You are so lucky.

50. Jesmin Chowdhury on March 31, 2021 at 12:32 am

Excellent, I have a six months old tree in uk