Plan your vegetable cropping all year

To help you make good choices about what to plant, where and when, through all the season. It’s easier with no dig, and when you understand parameters such as rotation.
I explain examples from my intensive cropping and intercropping at Homeacres. From May to October all beds are full , except for a few days before planting, and some are double cropped with interplants.

Here is the Sowing Timeline https://charlesdowding.co.uk/sowing-timeline-for-vegetables/

More information on my website https://charlesdowding.co.uk/

in my books https://charlesdowding.co.uk/product-category/books/

and in my online course https://charlesdowding.co.uk/product/no-dig-gardening-online-course/.

A year of sowing dates, plus gorgeous photos and no dig advice are in my wall calendar, good to buy even late winter & spring https://charlesdowding.co.uk/product/charles-dowding-gardening-calendar-2020/

Filmed, inspired and edited by Edward Dowding summer 2019 at Homeacres, 1000 square metres of no dig beds mostly cropped twice every year, zone 8 south west UK, climate is temperate oceanic, mild winters and warm not hot summers.

Spanish subtitles by Maria F. Nieto Ramirez

1. Robert Paul Bishop on March 30, 2021 at 11:00 pm

Great video Charles. Question please … in your small raised bed (the one with fennel) when you stated that you have succession and intercropping all year around, please advise when you will put your compost down into the ground. Thanks Paul

2. iTeerRex on March 30, 2021 at 11:01 pm

Mr Dowding, I am in Colorado zone 5b. How would I go about translating the time line you listed on your website to zone 5b? Do you know of a reference I could use?
    Thank you.

3. Nand Sall on March 30, 2021 at 11:03 pm

brilliant video….blows away so many gardening myths….great watch and learning tool

4. yankee way farms on March 30, 2021 at 11:03 pm

I try and always interplant my sucession crops. When I plant out my transplants I give them a little extra space and start seeds in between. I grow for fresh eating and canning or freezing not a market garden so I can plant a little diffrent wanting small sucession batches rather then wanting everything ready all together.

5. Алена Романова on March 30, 2021 at 11:04 pm

Hi, Charles! I’m a beginner gardener and I’m from Russia. I enjoy your videos, thanks a lot for your explanation of how to make compost! I have a question about lettuce. Last year I planted different kinds of lettuce and it was quite well, but bitter. We have different climate from the UK, but here it’s also damp and our summers are not very hot. What should I do this year so my lettuce is not bitter?

6. Ian Clarke on March 30, 2021 at 11:04 pm

Thanks for all the videos you produce – I really enjoy watching & learning. I don’t know how you keep so fit considering the time its takes to both garden & make films. I’m only a few years younger than yourself and now get the odd sprain & strain that keeps me out of the garden for a number of days. How do you deal with the inevitable "garden injury" or even the odd illness we all pick up from time to time and still find the energy to tend Homeacres?

7. Celeste Celeste on March 30, 2021 at 11:06 pm

Everyone advocates your method of planting. I have been growing vegetables for four years by digging up the soil but I would like to try your method this year. I’m not certain if I should compact the soil and then put compost on top or just put compost on top but I’m going to give it a go. Thank you for posting your videos. They are helping to teach an old dog new methods.

8. JulieWilliams NewZealand on March 30, 2021 at 11:06 pm

i am going to have to do your courses i think, but if i understand correctly about intersowing in your 2m x 1.2m garden bed all year long…..at what point do you get to put the compost on?

9. Homestead Hopeful on March 30, 2021 at 11:06 pm

I had so much loss and damage this year from woodchucks. Had I have had plants ready to go, I wouldn’t have lost so much time this season. Thanks so much for sharing this!

10. Linda Lockhart on March 30, 2021 at 11:07 pm

What is your opinion on raised beds vs ground?

11. Sally Semrau on March 30, 2021 at 11:07 pm

Charles, I understand why you grow what you grow, but do you ever grow fruit like watermelon, cantaloupe etc?

12. Kara King on March 30, 2021 at 11:08 pm

Charles, Started watching you this morning and have learnt so much already x

13. สุมาลี สาสังข์ on March 30, 2021 at 11:13 pm

Thank for good video clip.

14. Patricia Rodriguez on March 30, 2021 at 11:13 pm

🇩🇴💓🌱

15. Clair Roser on March 30, 2021 at 11:19 pm

Great video! Thanks for all the knowledge you are sharing, it’s much appreciated!

16. Elizabeth Mogro on March 30, 2021 at 11:21 pm

👍👍👍👋 Saludos desde Mendoza, Argentina ❤️❤️❤️

17. Antonio Catricala on March 30, 2021 at 11:24 pm

Ciao ho cominciato anch’io a fare l’orto no dig ma e un problema la lingua inglese non ci sono i sottotitoli in italiano su tutti i video

18. Laura Romero on March 30, 2021 at 11:27 pm

Que genio,maravilloso!!!gracias por compartir sus experiencias, estoy aprendiendo,,,me sirve de guía,,,gracias

19. Our Smallholding Adventure - a UK Homestead on March 30, 2021 at 11:27 pm

This was super helpful and confidence boosting. Loving growing our own ! Thank you

20. Elza Moura on March 30, 2021 at 11:27 pm

Que bom!Em português.

21. Yayang Jaudian on March 30, 2021 at 11:28 pm

Idol ko po kayo sir.. God bless you and your family

22. Wanda May on March 30, 2021 at 11:28 pm

Thank you for your channel. I have learnt alot from you that many others would never have done. Thank you for sharing your beautiful garden, how you work your greenhouse and your continuous practices for starting seeds.

Personal note, you resemble a love one that has passed and it is nice to be reminded of him. Thank you again.

23. SevenClouds on March 30, 2021 at 11:30 pm

Your garden, sir, is a delight to the eyes ! Every thing is lush and green, and so well organized. Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge and experience.

24. Freakontheway on March 30, 2021 at 11:31 pm

O wow, finally somebody who makes sense. Thank you for showing me (us) an out of the ingrained box!

I just got a fresh piece of community garden, and was ploughing through all the different charts and schemes, and didn’t find any logic in those. Since when I look at nature, it’s a ‘little’ different than in those schedules.

I’m starting to binge watch your channel, since I want to know it all! And apply as soon as possible in our garden, since it’s already March… 😉
    Blessings,
    Diana, from The Netherlands/Holland

25. Obviously on March 30, 2021 at 11:32 pm

where do you get all of your seeds and equipment from?. finding it hard to find anywhere good. thanks in advance Charles :).

26. timothy harris on March 30, 2021 at 11:33 pm

you make me feel healthier just by watching your videos god bless you charles

27. Róisín O'Shea on March 30, 2021 at 11:34 pm

Hi Charles, love your videos, your advice is always spot on. I am trying to make a yearly plan for my vegetable garden, following your advice on succession plantings and having plants ready in modules to maximise efficiency. You mention in several videos that some of your veg is planted closer than might traditionally be done — I was wondering if you have/know of any fairly comprehensive spacing guides, and possibly a guide to how much to grow per person etc, as I want to factor this into my plan. I trust anything you recommend, I’ve been gardening by your methods just one year but wow my little patch has excelled! Thanks a million 🙂

28. L2 Beluga on March 30, 2021 at 11:37 pm

Thank you Charles! 🤩

29. Laura Romero on March 30, 2021 at 11:38 pm

Gracias por la traducción al español 👏👏👏👏

30. Nikki Cooper on March 30, 2021 at 11:38 pm

Does anyone know how to adjust dates for US zone 6a?

31. LittlePetieWheat on March 30, 2021 at 11:42 pm

Peter Seabrook recommends "Terrain" peas for late sowing : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iAaq8747uo

32. Raynah Roblox on March 30, 2021 at 11:42 pm

Great video’s very helpful,keep up the good work.

33. Zhenya Landyak on March 30, 2021 at 11:42 pm

where’s your weed garden dude? 😀

34. genuine impulse on March 30, 2021 at 11:43 pm

Love that quote about Kale: I don’t actually want to eat kale, in the summer time, when there’s so many other things.

For me I just stop at I don’t actually want to eat kale!

35. Cirlene Luz on March 30, 2021 at 11:45 pm

Obrigada pela legenda em português 🇧🇷😉

36. Ula W on March 30, 2021 at 11:46 pm

Thanks to you I love gardening much more,than before.
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. It is unbelievable how pretty and healthy your plants are. And I like your videos, especially for showing sowing and planting out dates,it is very helpful for me, always have a notebook watching you🙂

37. Janet Bull on March 30, 2021 at 11:46 pm

Thank you again Charles your videos are always so informative and as a newbie gardener much appreciated 😻

38. Robert Paul Bishop on March 30, 2021 at 11:47 pm

Good day Charles. I have put my mushroom compost on my beds ahead of my no dig season. I plan to grow carrots. I have read or heard somewhere that carrots don’t like freshly manured ground. Based upon my learning from your videos, this should not be a problem. Can you confirm, please? Thanks for another great video!! Paul

39. Tim Carpenter on March 30, 2021 at 11:48 pm

Hello I was wondering if you can give me some advice please I was wondering if I can grow a crop of potatoes in my polytunnel it is October thank u

40. ANIL KAPUR on March 30, 2021 at 11:49 pm

The lesson from this and your other videos is that as long one keeps replenishing the soil again and again and sow in the right season, then not much attention needs to be paid for succession planting.

41. Artiana Ridwan on March 30, 2021 at 11:50 pm

Translte bahasa pls,tks

42. Bob smith on March 30, 2021 at 11:52 pm

🙏

43. Sandi Elefant on March 30, 2021 at 11:52 pm

What a wonderful farm you have! I love the joy you seem to receive from growing. I enjoy watching my garden grow as well. Your advice is so helpful. I would love to know in your whole season videos the weather at planting, weather at sowing, weather when the plant is taken out. I’m in Northern California and we have such funny weather here. This year we had colder temperatures (55* F at the high) into May and then we had 85-115* F temps for the rest of the summer (zone 9b). Thanks for sharing your knowledge!! I appreciate it very much. 🙂

44. Dennis Spann on March 30, 2021 at 11:53 pm

I am trying my first no dig. I will redouble my composting efforts and see what I can do in my backyard plot. Thanks for the reinspiration. Just fantastic information. You make it seem easy and accessible.

45. the tessellater on March 30, 2021 at 11:53 pm

An old friend of mine grew up in a ‘stately home’ as we used to say, as his father was a butler; the genuine article serving a proper lordship.
    Needless to say, he is one of the warmest, most polite and likeable people one could hope to meet, and has a manner much like yourself, Charles.
    And so fitting for role you find yourself in, nurturing a natural process; so thank you for your gentle approach to our beautiful Earth.

46. nhip nguyen on March 30, 2021 at 11:54 pm

I am Nhịp Nguyễn
    Việt Nam
    👍❤👍❤👍❤

47. lyndsey Anne on March 30, 2021 at 11:54 pm

So he doesnt pull out the old plants? He just cuts them to the ground and then fits in the next plant around the same area? Anyone found a video where he does this?

48. Mike Kinseth on March 30, 2021 at 11:54 pm

You’re a great teacher. I feel like I can get going after watching a number of your videos

49. cflynn2769 on March 30, 2021 at 11:55 pm

I could listen to you talk about gardening all day. I love your channel. Your knowledge, experience, and lovely manner make learning about gardening a pleasure. Thank you so very much!
    -Corwin

50. Lee Tullberg on March 30, 2021 at 11:56 pm

Charles, how old are the rutabagas (swedes) when you transplant them?