Productive NO DIG Vegetable Gardening in Raised Beds with Sides | Benefits, Tips and Suggestions

This video is all about no dig vegetable gardening in raised beds that have sides. There has been much discussion recently about if raised beds should or shouldn’t have sides so I thought I would explain how I do it effectively in a wet slug-prone climate and the benefits and drawbacks of sided raised beds. I created this video to show what is possible, and also to show that there is more than one way of growing food and that each method is very personal and situational (aka no real right or wrong!). No dig gardening is a wonderful method of growing food that promotes a healthy soil and healthy plants.

-Patreon-
Exclusive videos from the garden and beyond

-Online Courses-
More Food Less Effort Course: http://morefoodlesseffort.com/
Planting Plan Short Course: https://abundanceacademy.online/p/the-monthly-planting-plan

-Social-
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuwRichardsOfficial
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/huwsgarden/

-Clothing-
Awesome clothing designed for vegetable gardeners: https://huwrichards.teemill.com/

Introduction 0:00

No dig gardening
Raised bed vegetable gardening
#nodig #raisedbeds #vegetablegardening

1. Mariusz Siwkow on April 2, 2021 at 11:05 pm

Bjuti fuul 😉😉😊😉😉😊😉

2. Kelly Erazo on April 2, 2021 at 11:06 pm

Hi, I love your videos. Somehow, I cannot hear you well. Maybe is my cell phone but I also want you to know.

3. The Hangman's Daughter on April 2, 2021 at 11:12 pm

I couldn’t manage a garden were it not a no dig affair. As a disabled person I couldn’t dig in compost, or turn the soil each time I put in a crop. Using a raised bed and the no dig method has allowed me to grow fresh food despite my limitations.

4. JB Preps on April 2, 2021 at 11:12 pm

Hi from Idaho Huw! I love your channel, always great advice and ideas! I do have a question. How do you keep the grass in the pathways from creeping into the raised beds?

5. Rita Donovan on April 2, 2021 at 11:14 pm

I love raised garden beds for most of what you mentioned. It’s how I do gardening. 👍🥰🇨🇦

6. Fred Chapman on April 2, 2021 at 11:15 pm

Thanks Huw I am just in the first part of starting an alotment. Looking for all the knowledge people can pass on. 😁

7. Cindy Skillman on April 2, 2021 at 11:17 pm

We have a wealth of dead trees here thanks to the pine beetle plague (& USFS govt incompetence 🙄) Many of them have fallen onto our property so we limbed them & dragged them to the garden area to use for raised bed sides. Not pretty in the way dimensional lumber (the new gold) is, but rustic and lovely in my eyes. Plus much nicer than lying helter skelter along our property edges.

8. Jeremy G on April 2, 2021 at 11:17 pm

Always good to hear different perspectives from excellent gardeners! Thanks Huw.

9. Scott Franson on April 2, 2021 at 11:17 pm

I like raised beds because they look nice. Thank you for this Huw Very Good Video 5*s

10. hugelpook 5678 on April 2, 2021 at 11:18 pm

What type of wood did you use?

11. Deb Briggs on April 2, 2021 at 11:19 pm

Do you use weed paper on the bottom or top? How do you keep weeds/grass from coming up in your beds.

12. Colin Chick on April 2, 2021 at 11:20 pm

I agree with all your points but I just struggle with producing enough compost and it is so expensive to buy – do you create all your own or buy in?

13. leyli leyli on April 2, 2021 at 11:20 pm

Videolara çeviri eklermisiniz?

14. David Morris on April 2, 2021 at 11:22 pm

Huw , do you think it’s ok to use used diapers lightly to help retain moisture. I have a two year old , and live in the country. We don’t have trash service. So I burn our trash and garden alot with raised beds . I’ve been tearing open the wet diapers and adding them at the bottom of the tall raised beds when making them to help the wood compost , and been using metal sides . I’m tall at 6’4" and soil is very expensive bagged can be 15 american dollars or more. So I put wood in the bottom to help and sprinkle the ingredients from the diapers near the the bottom to get rid of them and speed up the the decay of the wood or stumps and things.

15. Brian Mozer on April 2, 2021 at 11:22 pm

I liked raised beds but when starting new plot one needs a large amount of compost -it can get a bit expensive…also what about trace minerals that are present in the actual soil. Do you add something in your yearly amendment to add trace minerals, what about using manure instead of compost?

16. gillian bc on April 2, 2021 at 11:24 pm

I’m house hunting at the mo and a lot of houses seem to have enormous patios or enormous block paved drives. Are you saying that I could put raised beds directly on top of a paved surface without having to have it all removed?

17. Nikhil Pundir on April 2, 2021 at 11:25 pm

Buddy my onions are bolting a lot. Could you please provide reasons for it.

18. Ed B on April 2, 2021 at 11:25 pm

I am a simple man: I see a video by Huw, I set the speed to x1.75 so that he sounds like a normal person

19. Cymro1970 on April 2, 2021 at 11:25 pm

Hi Huw, I’m thinking of using wood chips as a mulch for my no dig beds as I’ve seen in other videos. The only woodchips I have available at the moment is willow Wood chip. Is this type of tree ok as a garden mulch for my veg?

20. Baltic Homesteaders on April 2, 2021 at 11:25 pm

Nice vid, thanks. We have a combo of inground no dig beds and raised beds. Mostly to suit the terrain. I’ve seen no difference in slug numbers between the 2 and see no reason why they would be different.

21. Javier Aritio on April 2, 2021 at 11:26 pm

Hello there! Please give us some details about your knife! Is it a Marttiini? Cheers!

22. Ritercrazy on April 2, 2021 at 11:29 pm

Love, your ‘warm welcome’ and great helps.

23. Izzy Wizzy on April 2, 2021 at 11:29 pm

when I first got my allotment I put in a raised bed for my strawberries and found it really difficult to manage. The sides were painful to kneel on but otherwise I couldn’t get at the strawberries, I found it difficult to weed without squashing the other plants… I left the other beds in the ground and although not always tidy I find them more accessible and flexible so I guess what suits one person doesn’t necessarily suit another.

24. Jade de Har on April 2, 2021 at 11:30 pm

I love the seat in the background. Perfect spot for planning with a cup of tea

25. Joanna Stone on April 2, 2021 at 11:31 pm

Huw, can I ask what wood you use and how it’s treated? How do you source it? I’m having a really hard time sourcing suitable wood… every time I ask at at hardware store they look at me like I’m mad 😅

26. yankee way farms on April 2, 2021 at 11:34 pm

The cattle panel trellis is a great edition over a pathway.

27. Kaylynn scope on April 2, 2021 at 11:34 pm

Just wondering if i make may garden with out bed i think its ok or need to have that bed Richards ? i love gardening but at the moment i dont have space here so i make garden in my balcony but here in UAE the climate is so crazy hot so cant make garden outside if summer time

28. Slua Sidhe on April 2, 2021 at 11:35 pm

A dusting of sand on the soil surface has dramatically reduced my slug damage. Especially useful for seedlings and young plants.

29. aj .p on April 2, 2021 at 11:37 pm

4:00 The english way of drying onions, very interesting

30. Marco Correia on April 2, 2021 at 11:38 pm

Ive been watching your videos for so long and had hope that u would start a tik tok channel

31. jSheapullen on April 2, 2021 at 11:38 pm

I live on the side of a small mountain in a subdivision, in Georgia USA, I have to use beds! However, I’ve gotten creative and am using to rocks , they get huge, as sides…lined with heavy duty plastic dug in 12 inches to block moles and Bermuda grass. Works so far!

32. funny on April 2, 2021 at 11:45 pm

Please can you make a video or insta post of all the resources one wishes to purchase but not sure which ones to get.. as you are so experienced and trial & tested these.. would like to just click and buy it .. looking polytunnel a.. your little green mini shelves with cover on it etc .. going a bit mad and need to get these soon .. else my tropical veggies won’t do well outside 😫 thanks

33. Huw Richards on April 2, 2021 at 11:47 pm

Have a great Friday😊 I’ll reply to comments a little later as I’m off to sow some more seeds🌱

34. Jorgen Oras on April 2, 2021 at 11:48 pm

But what about to put to sides old red bricks? I have a lot o those around my house

35. David Egesdal on April 2, 2021 at 11:48 pm

I just built another bed today!

36. Melissa Sullivan on April 2, 2021 at 11:49 pm

I’m a patio container gardener (some raised above the floor, some on the floor, some hanging) and through a truly fatiguing late fall/winter (seriously, when does the pandemic end), I’m decided that my containers could be no-dig going forward if I do it right. The truth is, 1) as long as it doesn’t get too compacted, I’m fine, 2) worms have mysteriously shown up in three of my large containers. 😳🥰 So it’s part laziness and part ‘hmmm, if the worms get here anyway, what’s the problem?’ Why can’t a container also be no dig? 🧐

I guess we will see at summer’s end. 🙂

37. audrey steele on April 2, 2021 at 11:49 pm

Hi
    I am just starting to garden for the first time ever. I am having raised beds built, can you please advise whether I need to dig up the lawn before placing the raised beds down. Also do I just fill the raised beds with compost or a mixture of other soils, manure or what do you suggest. I want to use the no dig method you discuss here but could do with some advice if anyone can help, my garden is small.

38. bowlchamps37 on April 2, 2021 at 11:50 pm

Will will have our weighing day on March 31st. Then we will have raised crop on no dig and dig beds for 5 years total. We have not added the numbers yet so we don´t mix anything up.

39. samothco on April 2, 2021 at 11:50 pm

The problem I have is with my no-dig beds are black birds digging them up and spreading the compost everywhere. My beds are full of worms and life, which is a good thing and I don’t mind the birds living here. But unless I cover everything with bird netting, they will dig up the whole bed, throw out seedlings and spread the compost up to 50cm past the bed.

40. Sheri Karanasos on April 2, 2021 at 11:50 pm

I for some reason can’t grow root vegetables. I follow and try and nothing. I love your videos. Wish I had a view like you

41. Peggy Helbling's Garden What You've Got on April 2, 2021 at 11:51 pm

401! Marvelous! You are teaching the masses👩‍🌾👍🌿

42. THE NAKED GARDENER on April 2, 2021 at 11:52 pm

I absolutely LOVE, love love your videos! I’ve been watching so many and am learning so much from you. I’m starting my own homestead, organically growing my own food, and learning how to be more self sustainable. Thank you for the inspiration! ❤️🌱✌️

43. Funny Bee on April 2, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Hello gardeners and Food Lovers. Please don’t forget after every breakfaster or cooking , use the left over Egg shells for your plants as they are greating source of micro elements such as potassium and other minerals as well they make a wonderful organic fertilizer.Please share your thoughts and comments https://youtu.be/awgbWAsefNk

44. Sadie DeCoste on April 2, 2021 at 11:55 pm

If the major drama of the organic gardening world is whether to grow in beds with sides or without, I’ll take it. This is the kind of content we need in 2021 😅

45. Melissa on April 2, 2021 at 11:56 pm

I really enjoy hearing all the different perspectives and reasonings. Everyone has different tastes, styles, needs, preferences, necessities etc.. it’s what makes the world go round. It would be so boring if every one did the same thing. Happy gardening everyone. And may everyone enjoy an abundant season 🙏🏻🇺🇸 Thank you for all your hard work Huw Richards

46. Rita Wahn on April 2, 2021 at 11:56 pm

My yard is solid clay and floods easily. Raised beds are my only choice and I love them!

47. T Ok on April 2, 2021 at 11:57 pm

Por favor , pon subtítulos en español. Gracias

48. Kyle Bradshaw on April 2, 2021 at 11:58 pm

I don’t think your beds are deep enough if you’re worried about the immediate subsurface. Roots should have 18 in., 12 is minimum. And we call it "no till" in the states. How can you transplant if you don’t dig? Also, you should build the bed going across the slope and make the soil inside the bed level, not up and down the slope. Really all that was done was lifting the slope up 8 inches.

49. Mimon Homestead on April 3, 2021 at 12:02 am

Congratulations 404k subscribe good job 👍

50. Curly Proverbz on April 3, 2021 at 12:02 am

Congratulations on 400K. Well deserved Hew.