Better Than Raised Garden Beds? | A Cheap and Efficient Garden Bed Idea

Better Than Raised Garden Beds? | A Cheap and Efficient Garden Bed Idea

Better Than Raised Garden Beds? | A Cheap and Efficient Garden Bed Idea

If you’re thinking of gardening with raised beds, you need to consider this first…

To check out the unique garden mentioned in this video, head over to CustomGardenSolutions: https://youtu.be/FKOdJGopHeQ

Click here to subscribe to our channel:

Visit our Patreon page to discover special benefits and support our mission:

Please consider purchasing a T-shirt (with original designs by us!) to help support us in making future videos:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/greendreamproject1

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/greendreamproject/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/gdproject1

Music by: bensound.com

We are Jim and Jessica, a husband and wife team who decided to make the leap from living the city life to an off-grid homestead. We have no training in carpentry or electrical work. We’ve come armed only with two Permaculture Design Certificates and a whole lot of determination.

Join us on our journey to move beyond a sustainable lifestyle into a regenerative one. We chose to live in the desert because we love the location and we wanted the challenge of bringing this desert landscape into productive abundance.

1. metalfire 425 on April 3, 2021 at 11:26 pm

I have to make raised planters because the soil I have where I live is nothing but clay

2. Dyanne Johnson on April 3, 2021 at 11:27 pm

Roots cook too…I live at the edge of a Canadian dessert…my beets DONOT do well…

3. marduk on April 3, 2021 at 11:29 pm

Hügelkultur

4. Vincent Ronquillo on April 3, 2021 at 11:29 pm

Thank you for your transparency🙏🏼 keep up the great work y’all 💚

5. Ran Dom on April 3, 2021 at 11:30 pm

holy cow it’s Joe Lo Truglio and Phoebe from Friends!! (I love them both!) Lol thanks for the ideas

6. WritersOnTheWall on April 3, 2021 at 11:30 pm

my house is on the side of a slope, all of the nutrients have washed away , my soil is acid and clay , the raised bed keeps the soil amendments from washing down the hill

7. Balloon Animal on April 3, 2021 at 11:32 pm

Doses not work when your soil consists of rocks and clay. This only works if you have decent soil in the first place 95% people don’t.

8. K on April 3, 2021 at 11:34 pm

To bad I live in Florida where I have sand landscape and digging isn’t an option and difficulties with water rising, flooding the area.

9. pat g smith on April 3, 2021 at 11:34 pm

Hi to the both of you all I live here in Mobile Alabama I have 12 raised beds and what I do I add a lot of leaves newspaper clippings and grass clippings and then I add maybe three bags of soil over time I build it up doing the same thing over and over again maybe add more leaves maybe add more grass clippings at my worms. In my garden flourish with life and Beauty I try not to spend so much money on so I tried to make my own also what I do I make worm hotels Tower well drill some holes in the side of the bottom out and dig a trench and drop it down in there and I put all my waist there so the worms can come up and eat eat it and leave a worm casting behind

10. Tammy Michel on April 3, 2021 at 11:35 pm

Oh to hell with these guessing games…

11. Robots N That on April 3, 2021 at 11:37 pm

It all depends on your local conditions. I have one sunken bed that I grow the veggies that suit that. I used the soil from that to partially fill my raised bed. The rest are just normal level beds. I mainly use the raised bed that are susceptible to bugs (easier to deal with then raised I find, especially if you need to pick them of individually) or need extra drainage. The rest go in the normal beds. Whatever suits you local conditions.

12. Christina Annabel on April 3, 2021 at 11:37 pm

The idea is fine, but the smugness of the delivery is a tad annoying. FYI, one more reason people created raised beds is when the property is built on ledge. In any case, happy gardening and best wishes!

13. didanz100 on April 3, 2021 at 11:38 pm

I garden on the beach, literally. I have 285 square metres of garden. I have removed approximately six tonnes of sand. Initially I created plots two metres wide and four metres long with paths between. I am now progressively removing the paths to create trenches as you have described.

14. sebell C on April 3, 2021 at 11:39 pm

soooo for YOUR climate raised bed is BAD
    I think that is applicable to anyone!

15. Shriya's Kutty Farm on April 3, 2021 at 11:39 pm

Good videoResult of hard work. Give your valuable comments to improve our channel thank you. Stay connected and stay blessed

16. Dyanne Johnson on April 3, 2021 at 11:44 pm

Yes sunken bed sound amazing…we have horrible ant infestation. I can’t control that because I’m in a seniors complex

17. Michal on April 3, 2021 at 11:45 pm

awwww Jessica looks so happy <3

18. Birlik Tercüme on April 3, 2021 at 11:45 pm

You guys are so cute… I couldn’t concentrate what you were saying… Awesome

19. Rick B on April 3, 2021 at 11:48 pm

Interesting video but it felt like getting gardening tips from a rapper at times… Kind of awkward.

20. John Morgan on April 3, 2021 at 11:50 pm

A ‘bunch’ of soil ?

21. Ellen Story on April 3, 2021 at 11:51 pm

Oh…. you already thought of that…. I put that into some comments on another, more recent video….. You’re probably going to to do that after you get your done finished.

22. Phillip Erskine on April 3, 2021 at 11:52 pm

https://youtu.be/GaaMl0NyxhQ. This is the link for "Back to Eden gardening, documentary". Enjoy

23. F Sanchez on April 3, 2021 at 11:54 pm

This is what I have thinking about doing. I’m in the Mojave Desert in California and you know about the challenges of the desert. Sunken beds seem to be the way to go. Hopefully you can do an update on your garden. Thanks.

24. Phillip Erskine on April 3, 2021 at 11:55 pm

Look at "Back to Eden gardening" documentary

25. thirtythreeflavors on April 3, 2021 at 11:56 pm

Clearly went to the ‘constantly use your hands for emphasis when you speak’ school of public speaking.

26. Arizona High Desert Homestead on April 3, 2021 at 11:57 pm

I like the idea,, where I’m going to be is very similar to you guys, how would those beds be with rodents? I don’t mind spending the money if it will provide for years but I know rodents are a huge problem, what have you guys done for rodents?

27. Ellen Story on April 3, 2021 at 11:57 pm

The earth should-s in New Mexico sometimes use their gray water to help water their greenhouses…; maybe under the walkway between the shelf bed areas….

28. New Yorker on April 3, 2021 at 11:58 pm

Funny! Your cadence reminds me of Aziz Ansari, like if he was a gardener

29. Little Mountain Life on April 4, 2021 at 12:02 am

Who knew?!!

30. pyr8at40 on April 4, 2021 at 12:02 am

THANKS for this post, it’s money grab, simple as that……..screwing contracters……have you seen what they charge…..give me a break

31. Jjjj Llll on April 4, 2021 at 12:03 am

Thanks for the video. I live in a hot dry climate like you, 120f days regularly… I have raised beds on wheels because its so easy to make a shade frame along with the bed, and easy to have a clip on, clip off shade cloth to protect against sun and wind. So easy to create the right soil to fill it. I used straw bales to rot into a base of garden soil – cheap way to fill it. The primary point of raised beds is to avoid the digging, no? As you so rightly point out, if you have medical issues, and no brawny lads to hand… it’s not that efficient!
    I think you mean raised beds set on the ground, but if they’re even higher, it’s much easier to create micro climates for them.

32. Shady Man on April 4, 2021 at 12:03 am

Sunken beds in Tn. Turn into small lakes, lol. Works for water Lilly, though!

33. ClaudioArmonica on April 4, 2021 at 12:03 am

I live in a not so warm and very high humidity area so I’ll go for raised beds but if lived in a hot arid area I would go with this sunken beds no question. It’s really important to understand we need to adapt to the soil and area we live in. Thanks.

34. SHAUN PATRICK on April 4, 2021 at 12:04 am

Sub’d for "Savin’ Dolla Bills Y’all!"

35. Ricardo Salcido on April 4, 2021 at 12:04 am

Very informative and Jessica is hot will sub for more

36. F. Ball on April 4, 2021 at 12:06 am

37. malburian on April 4, 2021 at 12:08 am

Why so many dislikes? Everything they said is true.

38. Michael Gonzales on April 4, 2021 at 12:08 am

what was this video about,

39. Its Me on April 4, 2021 at 12:09 am

thanks for sharing your ideas

40. suzannelove on April 4, 2021 at 12:10 am

Sunken beds cost same as raised beds if you have underground diggers… such as gophers

41. Pop Corn on April 4, 2021 at 12:11 am

Skip to 3:15 to get to the topic of sunken beds.

42. J Bo on April 4, 2021 at 12:15 am

Do you have a backhoe I can borrow for my rocky and hard af backyard? Sounds like a great idea for a different area.

43. Juan Torm on April 4, 2021 at 12:15 am

It’s nice and clever, but as you said, it won’t work for everyone… down here in Central America, where it rains for 8 months, means your plants are gonna drown…also in the tropics, you might think that because everything is green and we got them tropical rainforests, soils are good… NOPE.. Top soil and humus is good.. if you start digging deep you get the awful rock hard clay soil… The sad part is that due to erosion and enviroment destruction, we got a lot of clay soil to work with… So down here sunken is not an option..

44. frki frk on April 4, 2021 at 12:16 am

dont bother with any beds!

45. Rose Mary on April 4, 2021 at 12:17 am

Really good advice👍

46. ROWAN DEMON SLAYER on April 4, 2021 at 12:17 am

🙄

47. Anna Młochowska on April 4, 2021 at 12:19 am

It’s all up to climate. My clay stands in water all winter and spring. Days are shorter and not that hot. Raised bed is only way to raise plants over water. Your, dry place might need different.

48. Harvest Mint on April 4, 2021 at 12:20 am

Sunken beds? Well that is pretty interesting idea

49. Chris Varaljai on April 4, 2021 at 12:22 am

In a nutcase. Never heard that one before lol. Thanks for the info. Found it helpful.

50. Love Music on April 4, 2021 at 12:23 am

Over 60 years ago my dad made a garden with sunken beds. This was during a recession in the 1950’s and we lived in a warm area of Southern CA. On our block only two adults still had a job so gardens were big. I think the neighbors thought he’d lost his mind, until they say his harvest! His garden included an irrigation system. For this system, he only had to put the hose on the ground in four different spots. No wasteful overhead watering, no time consuming watering of each plant. The watering ditches were slightly angled so the water flowed throughout the garden.