Gear Heads | Growing Fresh Herbs with Indoor Gardens

Countertop garden systems promise to make it easy to grow fresh herbs. But do they deliver? Lisa and Hannah put them to the test.

Buy our winning Indoor Garden on Amazon: https://cooks.io/2xnKzJ6
Read the full review: https://cooks.io/2NpLSSH

ABOUT US: Located in Boston’s Seaport District in the historic Innovation and Design Building, America’s Test Kitchen features 15,000 square feet of kitchen space including multiple photography and video studios. It is the home of Cook’s Illustrated magazine and Cook’s Country magazine and is the workday destination for more than 60 test cooks, editors, and cookware specialists. Our mission is to test recipes over and over again until we understand how and why they work and until we arrive at the best version.

If you like us, follow us:
Hannah’s Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hannah_crowley8
Lisa’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/lisamcmanus

1. tuotuo lu on April 3, 2021 at 11:43 pm

finally, actually content outside of Dan’s

2. Carla on April 3, 2021 at 11:43 pm

Thank YOU Americas test kitchens for doing all the work for us!!!

3. Steven Reichert on April 3, 2021 at 11:44 pm

I don’t think people are going to be growing basil and lettuce in these things 😉

4. GeeCee on April 3, 2021 at 11:45 pm

Thank you for featuring Lisa McManus. She is the reason why I subscribed to your channel. Her videos are always so thorough and informative.

5. Young Mule on April 3, 2021 at 11:45 pm

More at home gardening vids please! Also discuss which types of plants are best for in home

6. Mark Kline on April 3, 2021 at 11:46 pm

My, I’m pushing the back button so much, to bypass the commercials I’m missing this site, with the Ads they are trying to show on each video. So Sad. they are doing this. Had enough of the solar panel.

7. Eric L on April 3, 2021 at 11:46 pm

for $200 I can set up a much larger grow system

8. wendy darling on April 3, 2021 at 11:49 pm

I just want to keep one basil plant alive. Other people can do it. Why can’t I?

9. Thrifty Freebies on April 3, 2021 at 11:49 pm

That lettuce looks so pale and leggy. Either you didn’t start the light off lower (it _does_ have an adjustable height) or the roots have broken through the wick and aren’t drawing enough nutrients from the ‘pods’. I’ve grown the same lettuce in the same ‘garden’ and it was a lot bushier and more of a vibrant green.

10. Bad Timing on April 3, 2021 at 11:49 pm

but can you grow devil’s lettuce

11. MrNORE14 on April 3, 2021 at 11:50 pm

I own an aerogarden and know that it is the best at growing hydroponic plants. Sorry ladies, you still have to trim and take care of your plants.

12. Mark S on April 3, 2021 at 11:51 pm

Just curious…was the Juice Plus Tower garden tested? If not, are there any plans to compare it to the Click n Grow

13. Pursuit Happitarian on April 3, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Gear Heads? Where are the cars?

14. MaZEEZaM on April 3, 2021 at 11:53 pm

I would be concerned about eye damage from all these UV lights, no shielding at all from any of them.

15. krrrruptidsoless on April 3, 2021 at 11:53 pm

The short ones look like they were made for going under the counter and for where you’d be clipping them all the time
    The more you clip the better the plant grows

The winner looks like it’d need its own room or house

16. Fred Mench on April 3, 2021 at 11:55 pm

Just stick to cooking, PLEASE.

17. MsSilverkate on April 3, 2021 at 11:57 pm

Thank you.

18. truepeacenik on April 3, 2021 at 11:58 pm

So, I’m going to keep my tray and clip on led set up ($45, total)? Cool.

19. Succubusisis on April 3, 2021 at 11:59 pm

Price aside, “Dumb” setups don’t have apps harvesting your data while you try to harvest dill!

20. Skippy the Alien on April 4, 2021 at 12:01 am

I have both Click and Grow and Aerogarden. Couldn’t agree more with this review. While I love both of them, Click and Grow is a lot simpler and it also just looks more aesthetically pleasing

21. Alexis N. on April 4, 2021 at 12:02 am

Lisa’s commentary is poignant, relatable, and refreshingly understated.

22. Robert M on April 4, 2021 at 12:04 am

Get the "Bounty" version of the Aerogarden. It is much larger and has a vertical extension rod that makes it much taller. Plus it is regularly on sale for around or just over $200. It is a lot easier and convenient than what they make it out to be. That tall white one that I think was called the "Click" has a light bar that is stationary which is bad. That is why that lettuce was floppy and spindly, the light needs to be much closer than that. I guess this the kind of review you get from people that don’t actually know a ton about it. So if you plan to get something like this without spending a fortune, buy the Aerogarden Bounty base model and it will out perform all of these and is much larger. The reason the Edn had so many issues was likely it had bad or no seed. You need to make sure the expiration date on the package is still good. Also temperature/humidity make big impacts on the viability of the seed and whether it will germinate or not. If the pods were sitting in a hot warehouse for six months or more that could have ruined the seeds in the pods.

23. Rick Bailey on April 4, 2021 at 12:05 am

Younger generations are gonna starve… especially after their phones die…

24. Nick B on April 4, 2021 at 12:06 am

Interesting that the products were the same price but wildly different results

25. Radoslav Ivanov on April 4, 2021 at 12:10 am

Amazing video! Thank you! 🙂

26. L3 on April 4, 2021 at 12:14 am

These systems are way too expensive and you need their pods (except the one that didn’t perform well). It is much cheaper to buy a heavy duty shelf, grow lights and hooks.

27. krrrruptidsoless on April 4, 2021 at 12:17 am

That one lady sounds like she’s not going to be happy until everything’s robotic and no human involved whatsoever

She always says
    "I had to do this"

I had to do that ((grumph))

Like oh my God I can’t believe I had to look at this thing then I had to touch it cut off the clippings

Where are the robots

OMG, why was I born before there were robots

Who’s fault is this

28. paul holditch on April 4, 2021 at 12:18 am

I would love to have a pint or two with both wonderful ladies and talk about kitchen gadgets! Best regards to both of you!

29. Kathryn Pulsifer on April 4, 2021 at 12:19 am

what if I don’t have a smart phone?

30. Kim Lindsey on April 4, 2021 at 12:20 am

I have an AeroGarden Harvest, and it’s amazing – easy (no app needed), and great yield. The only thing that grows tall is the basil; everything else gets along nicely. Their cherry tomatoes are yummy & the plants are quite hardy. IDK why this unit seemed difficult to you – maybe the app made it harder?
    The Click & Grow looks nice, but it’s huge! both its footprint and clearance for height.
    FYI for some other commenters: There are ways to reduce the amount of plastic waste when you use these systems, which is another plus. 🙂

31. akr01364 on April 4, 2021 at 12:21 am

My Chia Pet garden is almost a decade old, cost about $10 and so far all’s well. All I need is a tray and a window.

32. nightmarejr on April 4, 2021 at 12:21 am

What about aero garden?

33. XurX on April 4, 2021 at 12:21 am

Please mention next time, besides the initial cost, what it costs to replant. What kind of yields? Seems too pricey to be economically viable compared to other options. A very niche product.

34. Mrs. Will on April 4, 2021 at 12:21 am

Can you make one for a windowsill garden?

35. ishtar0077 on April 4, 2021 at 12:22 am

Yes very helpful video. Now do another one with large units

36. 台灣八卦山 on April 4, 2021 at 12:24 am

$200? I think I’ll just buy fresh herbs when needed.

37. oogiesmuncher on April 4, 2021 at 12:24 am

what the hell is harder to manage on the aerogarden vs the others??? you just feed it every 2 weeks and top up the water every once in a while. The other plants got starved for light because you didn’t prune it well

38. Billy Garfield on April 4, 2021 at 12:25 am

Good to know, thanks!

39. stormbob on April 4, 2021 at 12:26 am

Oooh I need one of these. For…herbs. Yeah, that’s it. Herbs.

40. Jemima1377 on April 4, 2021 at 12:27 am

Who in the world would actually use these?! 200$ for a bunch of plastic and a tiny amount of actual seeds, that you could easily get for a couple of bucks in any store.

Just plant herbs in a pot with soil and water them regularly – what’s so hard about that?! If watering a plant is already too much work for someone (how?!), just buy them all-grown in the store. You can get a lot of fresh herbs for 200$.

Seriously: Who needs an app to grow plants?! It’s not rocket-science! -_-

41. Karen Schumacher on April 4, 2021 at 12:30 am

My problem with most indoor garden systems is you have to have a fair amount of usable real estate to have them, no matter how ‘compact’ they claim. You lose cubic footage from the table, shelf or counter, and you lose an outlet.

42. Kip Paseo on April 4, 2021 at 12:30 am

In my younger College days I used to grow beautiful weed plants with just a clip on desk lamp with a daylight CFL bulb in my bedroom closet so I’m sure basil wouldn’t be that hard.

43. John Humphries on April 4, 2021 at 12:32 am

Hey Lisa, ❤️ thanks for what y’all do. I’ve been wanting to plant an herb garden.

44. Lil Joe on April 4, 2021 at 12:32 am

Wow!!! Thank you! I have always wondered about these

45. Wee Seng Teo on April 4, 2021 at 12:33 am

Really like the new style of the test kitchen videos!

46. Princeton Swart on April 4, 2021 at 12:35 am

This made me to understand that you can actually grow herbs in own home

47. chilecayenne on April 4, 2021 at 12:37 am

With the Click and Grow…can you plant and grow plants easily from seeds YOU buy, rather than buying the pre-made pre-packaged dirt/plant modules from the company?

48. Sam Frybyte on April 4, 2021 at 12:40 am

The winner is so wasteful! Plastic that can’t be truely recycled, instructions that are only available with an unrecyclable cellphone, soil and fertilizer that we know nothing about in terms of soil health. This is a half-baked (pun intended) test with no conscience about the world and it’s affect on the world. There are fairly easy ways to grow indoor (if need be) herbs and lettuce grown indoors doesn’t have any taste (readily available hydroponic bibb lettuce anyone?)
    Over all this leaves me heaving.

49. Robert Kummer on April 4, 2021 at 12:41 am

Was this paid by Click & Grow? It is recommended by them to start with the low light setting and then use the extensions. You seem to paint a slightly blurry picture. And I purchased a click and grow myself as it seems the best option

50. Holly M on April 4, 2021 at 12:41 am