5 Easy Tips to Pick the Best Plants from a Greenhouse Alberta Urban Garden

On one of my most anticipated days of the year I thought I would share some of my tips for picking the best plants at the Greenhouse.

1 Come with a Plan: Planning can help you avoid a lot of troubles when planting your garden. I find planning helps me research what I want to grow and cook with while making sure I get all of the varieties and I have space for them all. Impulse buys can be challenging and fun but having a plan can help curb or direct your buys to fit your garden.

2. Check the Hardiness Zone: This is more important with perennials (plants that will come back year after year) but can have an impact on your annuals (live only one year) as well. If you are unsure what your Hardiness zone is you can search the internet for your Town or City it should be able to tell you which zone you are in. Growing Zones are set using a number of factors including number of frost free days and average coldest temperatures. You can plant plants that are not hardy to your zone but they will take a lot more work and some times not produce at all for you. Making sure your perennials are hardy to your zone will help give you the best possible chance of success.

3. Compare Plants: I garden in Zone 3 and have a short and intense season. In this zone I recommend getting the largest plant possible. This will give you the best chance to out run the fall and get produce. In higher growing zones (warmer climates) the smaller plant will take less transplant shock and do better in the long run. That is if the long run does not include freezing temperatures.

4. Leave Room in your Garden Plan for impulse purchases: I know this is kind of counter intuitive to Tip 1 but it is the reality of most gardeners. We have a weak spot that makes it fun for us to grab that cool plant that we did not know about. This year I picked up a Northland and Northcountry Blueberry plants and an honeydew melon plant. They are lots of fun to grab but make sure if you get perennials you have permanent space for them!

5. Carefully Transport them Home: Now that you have your haul of plants you want to make sure you bring them home carefully. carefully packing them together using containers and flat surfaces will give you the best chance of not damaging them when you move them.

I would love to hear your tips for picking plants! Please feel free to post them in the comment section of the YouTube Video or email me through the websites contact me portal!

Happy Gardening!

Some of my favorite childhood memories are of gardening with my parents and brothers. This channel is about low cost organic urban gardening in zone 3. I am by no means an expert gardener however I love to share my experiments and journey garden year round. Please feel free to join the conversation and if you think you might like this channel subscribe. Have a great day!

Check us out on
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/stephenlegaree14
Webpage: www.albertaurbangarden.ca
Google +: google.com/+StephenLegaree
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AlbertaUrbanGarden
Twitter: https://twitter.com/northern1485
Pintrest: http://www.pinterest.com/ABurbanGarden/

1. Southpaw Davey urban farm. on April 4, 2021 at 11:46 pm

We have a row or two of impulse buys in pots. Good advice;-)

2. High Desert Garden on April 4, 2021 at 11:49 pm

Excellent work Stephen. Is it work or is it fun?

3. asabagrendel on April 4, 2021 at 11:49 pm

Thanks for the shopping tips. So easy to get carried away with impulse buys! lol

4. Conrad Cardinal on April 4, 2021 at 11:55 pm

I have had plants fall over in my truck numerous times. Luckily none have ever died, but if it keeps happening, it’s just a matter of time.

My biggest tip, other than what you have mentioned is to check for bugs! Most good greenhouses will have them well under control, but it couldn’t hurt to check the undersides of the leaves and just look the plant over really well to avoid an infestation. Remember, even the most reputable greenhouse has a lot of plants to take care of, they might miss one or two plants while they are dealing with problems so you need to look for yourself.

I read this over before I go out and buy plants every year just to help me remember http://thehomeandgardenproject.com/how-to-buy-bedding-plants/

5. Keyplayr61 Greenhouse Hydroponics And Gardens on April 4, 2021 at 11:59 pm

Good tips, Stephen!

6. Andrew Lockwood on April 5, 2021 at 12:02 am

Overall, useful tips for almost any shopping. Always have a list, and room for impulses.

7. OYR Frugal & Sustainable Organic Gardening on April 5, 2021 at 12:07 am

Great tips and presentation, Stephen!

8. dave stumpf on April 5, 2021 at 12:08 am

impulse buys——that’s me–lmao

9. SubArcticWolf Tools & Outdoors on April 5, 2021 at 12:09 am

Great tips! It’s funny how they sell zone 5 plants in a zone 2 area! The downside to cold climate gardening, is that there is no guarantee that any perennial will make it through our winters. Yet I have zone 4 peonies that I’ve have for 8 years now! A tip for saving money is: never buy anything on Victoria Day weekend because everything will be on sale a week after. Buy plants in the fall when they are75% off. Also look for pots with two plants in them!

10. Pebbles Pond on April 5, 2021 at 12:09 am

Hah Plant Addict.

11. Back Country Preps on April 5, 2021 at 12:10 am

To bad you don’t start from seed in your home or in a greenhouse so you have a wider variety of produce to choose from at a much cheaper price. I understand, some don’t have the room. Anyways nice video thank you for sharing. Check out my greenhouse at Back country preps BCP 33
    Prep and thrive

12. Gardening With Puppies on April 5, 2021 at 12:10 am

I make lists all the time then forget to bring them. lol. I’m the queen of impulse plant buying.

13. Jewel Estlick on April 5, 2021 at 12:11 am

I am a first time gardener and your advice is so helpful. Thank you so much!

14. Pacific Northwest Outdoors on April 5, 2021 at 12:18 am

Great tips – thanks Stephen!  When I’m picking plants – especially plants like peppers, cucumbers, and squash, I try to find the ones that not only look good, but have multiple plants in a single pot – two (or more) for the price of one!

15. TheItalian Garden on April 5, 2021 at 12:18 am

all great tips =) the impulse buying lol i do that too but i usually find some way to make room lol.

16. mregan24 on April 5, 2021 at 12:20 am

That wasn’t a Timmies coffee was it? Thanks for the video. Exciting times for sure. I went and bought a few plants over the weekend. Fun times! I bought a few things I wasn’t planing on buying as well! Cheers

17. Excuse me Yeah you on April 5, 2021 at 12:23 am

Wow great tips sometimes you just wanna go crazy and pick all kinds of interesting things you can’t grow and then feel defeat!!!!!!! Perfect!!!!

18. Rainbow Gardens on April 5, 2021 at 12:24 am

I am the worst impulse buyer!!! haha

19. Three 6 Teen Boutique on April 5, 2021 at 12:25 am

Impulse buys are the best, they are the magic that you look for.  Thanks for the tips.

20. TheTarafotty on April 5, 2021 at 12:33 am

What kind of melon did you get? And what was the greenhouse you were at?

Tara, in Edmonton

21. Learn To Grow on April 5, 2021 at 12:34 am

Great tips Stephen…although I am such an impulse buyer!!!  I finally made a list the other day Lol 🙂

22. David Grant on April 5, 2021 at 12:35 am

I like to check if it is root bound or not.  I look at the drain holes or sometimes pull it right out of the pot.  Why are the grafted plants the biggests and most expensive?

23. Growing Things on April 5, 2021 at 12:36 am

GReat tips Stephen it is a great idea to have a plant with you when you go toa nursery , impulse buys can get tin the way of what you need lol Also with any nursey when checking  aplant you should be able to  look at the roots of plants by tapping it out of its pot with permission of the nursery or by their staff.

24. Anjanet923Garden on April 5, 2021 at 12:38 am

Great tips Stephen 🙂

25. Elyse Joseph on April 5, 2021 at 12:41 am

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to follow tip no 1, I can spend hours in a nursery and I want to bring home everything LOL