Planting Herbs in Containers: Oregano, Chives, Thyme, Mints, Basil, Sage, Rosemary, Lavender

Please Visit The Rusted Garden Seed & Garden Shop:: https://www.therustedgarden.com/

The basics for getting transplant herbs into your containers. It is a great way to get started with container gardening. I talk about fertilizing setup, perennial vs annual, frequency of water soluble feedings and basic planting.

Please Help Support My Channel: The Rusted Garden – Thanks!

Please Visit The Rusted Garden Seed & Garden Shop: https://www.therustedgarden.com/

Here is The Rusted Garden Link to Amazon for Seed Starting & Gardening Supplies
http://amzn.to/2FgufvF Thanks for using my link. It helps fund my garden videos!

Subscribe to My YouTube Channel (800 Garden Videos) – The Rusted Garden: https://www.youtube.com/user/pilarchik

Follow me on Instagram for Harvest Pictures, Updates and Monthly Give-Aways: https://www.instagram.com/therustedgarden/

Visit My Original Blog The Rusted Vegetable Garden: http://www.therustedgarden.blogspot.com

Contact Me at therustedgarden@gmail.com

1. jaycee157 on April 4, 2021 at 11:43 pm

Thanks for responding. Perhaps you can help me with my sage plant. bought one from the nursery and within days it began to dry up. I know sage does not like a lot of watering . It was under a shade cloth so dont know what happened and we had rains one day and I took it inside the house so it would not be soaked. Incidentally I only do container growing as I dont have the space otherwise. PLEASE HELP. I HATE when my plants die

2. milling37 on April 4, 2021 at 11:44 pm

Great video..I don’t have a green thumb but gonna try to grow some herbs👍😊

3. A Campos on April 4, 2021 at 11:44 pm

What kind of pots are those they are so nice!?

4. Leyna Abbey on April 4, 2021 at 11:44 pm

You’re from Maryland?

5. Jina Lobingco on April 4, 2021 at 11:47 pm

Great video! Informative ! I just started planting veggies and flowers & it’s so fun indeed😀

6. BasicRoots on April 4, 2021 at 11:47 pm

What type of sage is that?

7. MexicanaMeg on April 4, 2021 at 11:51 pm

For rosemary sage and lavender do I need to water daily and how much water? The whole pot or just the plant area? 1st time grower please help.

8. Dawn Keckley on April 4, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Not and Spicy oregano and lemon thyme are some of my favorites!

9. kickn-aDead-cat on April 4, 2021 at 11:53 pm

Lime Basil is my favorite for fresh salad.

10. Bora Corba on April 4, 2021 at 11:53 pm

Cheers for this, I’ve been looking for "starting a garden from scratch organic" for a while now, and I think this has helped. Have you heard people talk about – Nonannah Hanulian Future – (just google it ) ? Ive heard some extraordinary things about it and my mate got cool success with it.

11. jessica nelson on April 4, 2021 at 11:55 pm

Hi I am new with herbs.. I planted about April .. It’s August. When should I harvest.? Do I do it during that time? Could I pick earlier?

12. Anthony William Ces on April 4, 2021 at 11:55 pm

I’m watching this because I gotta transplant my oregano to a less watery soil

13. Rose Rizzo on April 4, 2021 at 11:56 pm

Nice video. I usually do cuttings of the mint and put in water glass and I see roots growing:)

14. MrSweetspy218 on April 4, 2021 at 11:59 pm

Where did u get that container?

15. Augusta Ugoh on April 5, 2021 at 12:02 am

Good work brother, are the plastic perforated at the bottom?

16. jaycee157 on April 5, 2021 at 12:03 am

As usually your videos are intereting. What’s th size of contaners the clay co!ored and the white

17. Katrina Catral on April 5, 2021 at 12:04 am

Can thyme and rosemary "die" bec of too much sun/heat? Say 80 degrees? Or is it most likely because of too much water? And what can I do about this? Each day that I check up on them, it looks like they’re just slowly dying.

18. Sabrina Francis on April 5, 2021 at 12:05 am

I tried last year squash zucchini eggplant basil tomatoes you name it I tried it my yard is horrible ants and everything else too much water hold alot of moisture I used containers and ants killed everything along with other bugs . I tried 7dust that killed the bees. I spent a lot of money I want to try again but afraid to.

19. Xo Xo on April 5, 2021 at 12:07 am

Never knew there’s different type of mints. Looks like I got chocolate mints and spearmint in my garden.

20. benj amin tim othy on April 5, 2021 at 12:08 am

What’s the fertilizer did you use?.. please answer this comment

21. Bittersweet Symphony on April 5, 2021 at 12:11 am

Good video

22. Ramam Naidoo on April 5, 2021 at 12:11 am

Do you use ordinary plastic pots or food grade pots

23. Kostina Trnava on April 5, 2021 at 12:13 am

Winner of a video, I’ve been looking for "best soil mix for flower beds" for a while now, and I think this has helped. Have you heard people talk about – Fonillian Uncomplex Future – (do a search on google )?

It is a great exclusive product for growing up to 10 times more produce using aquaponics without the hard work. Ive heard some extraordinary things about it and my cousin got cool success with it.

24. annu nakki on April 5, 2021 at 12:14 am

Great video.

25. Tsunshine Gal on April 5, 2021 at 12:14 am

Wow 🤩 lovely array 😊 of herbs 🌿 awesome 👏

26. June Clarke on April 5, 2021 at 12:15 am

Hi Gary. I have been trying to grow sage and every time i try they die. I know they don’t like too much water. Where is the best place to keep them in the container. I had mine under a shade cloth then rains started.

27. Groovy plant addict on April 5, 2021 at 12:15 am

Omg just subbed. Like the video. Def going to be watching your channel ! I recently am doing plants in my YouTube

28. Love always Jasmine on April 5, 2021 at 12:15 am

I’m in zone 7a and I bought potted cilantro, rosemary, mint and basil from the grocery store. I repotted them and have them indoors. Can I put them outdoors?

29. Chris Griffin on April 5, 2021 at 12:16 am

loved it, thank you for sharing, very enjoyable.

30. Erieka Dangeau on April 5, 2021 at 12:18 am

How often do you water?

31. Fᴇᴜᴇʀʙʟᴜᴛ [RAGEMODE] on April 5, 2021 at 12:19 am

Beware that not all herbs harmonize with one another.
    Good neighbors are:
    ✅ Dill, cress, marjoram, parsley, borage, chervil
    ✅ Thyme, chive, salvia, tarragon, lemon balm
    ✅ Salvia, oregano, savory
    ✅ Basil, rosemary
    ✅ salvia, rosemary

Never plant together or in too close proximity (they effect one another
    negatively):
    ❌marjoram, thyme
    ❌coriander, fennel
    ❌lemon balm, basil
    ❌ mint, basil
    ❌ mint, chamomille

General tips:
    ◼ salvia and lavender should stay solitary since they need much space. Lavender is the perfect neighbor for roses, though
    ◼ pair annual herbs with other annuals and vice versa with perennial herbs
    ◼ pair plants with similar needs, for example a mediterran patch with moderate water supply and up to 50% quartz/silica sand mixed in for mediterran herbs (thyme, savory, rosemary, curry plant, bay, marjoram, salvia, oregano, lavender, Santolina viridis, wormwood); all these mediterranian plants need a windless, sun-exposed spot and moderate fertilization (every 8-12 weeks)
    ◼ thyme needs a new place every 2-3 years for optimal growth (can become self-inhibitory)
    ◼ Basil, parsley, Shiso, mints, lemon balm, vietnamese coriander (Persicaria odorata), lemon grass, Allium species (incl. chive) need good fertilization (every 4-6 weeks)
    Happy growth everyone! 🍀

32. Cheryl Hale on April 5, 2021 at 12:19 am

I find all the mints are very easy to grow from cuttings

33. DeVera Jackson-Garber on April 5, 2021 at 12:20 am

Super helpful video. Thank you!

34. Gary Pilarchik (The Rusted Garden) on April 5, 2021 at 12:21 am

Seed Starting Supplies: http://amzn.to/2GrGaZ7 Please Support The Rusted Garden:
    Garden Fertilizers: http://amzn.to/2DIQDRY By using these Amazon links, any Amazon purchase
    Garden Disease & Pest Control: http://amzn.to/2Fqvl8e you make returns a % of sales back to TRG.
    Grow Lights:http://amzn.to/2GudeiO I turn most of that back into the garden and videos.
    Amazon General Search Page: http://amzn.to/2DZBzyZ THANKS! Greatly Appreciated – Gary (TRG)

I have Neem Oil, Peppermint Oil, Sprayers, Seeds and so much more at my shop…Please check out my Seed & Garden Shop for your gardening needs at http://www.therustedgarden.com

35. Hazel in the Woods on April 5, 2021 at 12:22 am

Great video!! Love all the plants on your deck…I’ve had to replant so many seeds this year bc of a pesky raccoon in the neighborhood. But it never stops me from redoing my work. I really want to try some potatoes in buckets next year.

36. Gannon Gardens on April 5, 2021 at 12:22 am

Hey Gary, another great video. I have an in-ground herb garden I started last year that did well but am wondering if the perennial herbs you plant in containers emerge each year. Thanks, Jay.

37. Douglas Crespo on April 5, 2021 at 12:23 am

Medicine

38. Elicia B on April 5, 2021 at 12:23 am

Can I do this inside my house? With using the fertilizers, will it attract bugs?

39. Lolly Schwartz on April 5, 2021 at 12:24 am

Great job. Sad about basil. Love that herb

40. Jen Llavore on April 5, 2021 at 12:24 am

New sub here 😊😊

41. B M on April 5, 2021 at 12:26 am

All your videos are so rewatchable.

42. vBDKv on April 5, 2021 at 12:29 am

I almost make love to my basil. Indoor 🙂

43. whosedoingwhat on April 5, 2021 at 12:32 am

I have planted Lavender 2X w/o luck. It’s a sloped garden in front of the Lanai. Fl, full E. sun till about 1:00. The soil is a garden soil + mulch and drk brn bark topper. It does not get over wtrd, but dies out. Maybe with slope it’s running off & drying out too fast, but the Rosemary in same area is thriving. Any suggestions?

44. Dulce Ramos on April 5, 2021 at 12:33 am

Thank you for sharing your wisdom with us. I’m a first timer. It’s great to gather insight from people with experience.

45. my home rumahku on April 5, 2021 at 12:34 am

46. Patricia Jordan on April 5, 2021 at 12:38 am

what about the sun, how much sun do each of these herbs need?

47. Skating Canuck on April 5, 2021 at 12:38 am

Could you please do a video on how to regrow herbs from cutting? Also could you do one on cilantro please? I bought a seedling that did not transplant well, and I can’t see to grow it from seed either.

48. Sharell Jarvis on April 5, 2021 at 12:39 am

Hey, I’m in DC. Where do you find your chocolate mint?

49. Dandelion on April 5, 2021 at 12:40 am

Please be gentle to your plants 😅

50. Andrea Orozco on April 5, 2021 at 12:42 am