What Does Topsoil, Garden Soil, Raised Bed Soil and Potting Mix Mean?

I explain what topsoil, garden soil, raised bed soil and potting mix mean. My First Vegetable Garden is for new gardeners. Please subscribe for 2018 and I will show you how to have a great garden!

Here is The Rusted Garden Link to Amazon for Seed Starting & Gardening Supplies
http://amzn.to/2FgufvF Thanks for using my link. It helps fund my garden videos!

Join The Rusted Garden FB Gardening Shop & Video Page

Follow me on Instagram for 60 Second or Sow videos and Gardening Tips… https://www.instagram.com/therustedgarden/

Welcome to My 1st Vegetable Garden. This channel is 100% dedicated to new vegetable gardeners that want to learn and have lots of questions.

Check out my associated Blog: The Rusted Garden!

1. SuperJV4x on April 4, 2021 at 11:10 pm

florida soil nearly 100% sand – for a garden should I remove it all or keep some sand there and mix in garden soil and what else? thanks

2. Rose International Garden on April 4, 2021 at 11:12 pm

Very good 😊

3. Daniela Castañeda Elias on April 4, 2021 at 11:13 pm

Many thanks, been searching for "prepare soil for vegetable garden" for a while now, and I think this has helped. Ever heard of – Paylezobath Celebrated Process – (just google it )?

It is a smashing one of a kind guide for learning organic gardening secrets to boost your produce without the normal expense. Ive heard some incredible things about it and my work buddy got cool success with it.

4. Veev See on April 4, 2021 at 11:13 pm

Thank you for sharing. Very helpful for us all.

5. Kenneth Streck on April 4, 2021 at 11:13 pm

Thank you very much for this. The horse is well out of the barn for this year, but I’ll be prepared for next.

6. AttnDefDis on April 4, 2021 at 11:14 pm

Wow, good info. I’ll just mix some compost into my existing soil and save a bunch of money. Thanks!

7. Danielle on April 4, 2021 at 11:16 pm

Thank you so much! I appreciate you explaining the details. it so hard to get people to help me at the Lowe’s or a garden center.

8. Mohammed Sharif on April 4, 2021 at 11:16 pm

Excellent keep going good information

9. Fabian on April 4, 2021 at 11:17 pm

This is glorious, I’ve been looking for "what is the best garden soil" for a while now, and I think this has helped. Have you ever come across – Paylezobath Celebrated Process – (just google it )?
    It is a great one of a kind product for learning organic gardening secrets to boost your produce without the headache. Ive heard some incredible things about it and my mate got excellent results with it.

10. michael burns on April 4, 2021 at 11:18 pm

I just ❤️ miracle grow soil in flat plastic container for micro greens 🥬 like butter head lettuce. I can tell they are done because the roots will have devoured all the soil. May make drain holes but never worry about overcrowding. Only make a generous layer of soil and a carpet of seeds on top then cover with a little more lightly. All I need is ✂️ scissors great for small batch of herbs.

11. Sergey Bebenin on April 4, 2021 at 11:19 pm

You don’t mention that this green "organic" mix also has crushed bone meal (and I think blood meal) which makes it more nutritional. Also, don’t trust those other bags with who knows what.

12. installtekz dotcom on April 4, 2021 at 11:20 pm

This should have been a class in school. Thanks

13. KylesCreativeSide on April 4, 2021 at 11:20 pm

I’m confused about why to use garden soil anywhere if it is more compact.

14. 534A53 on April 4, 2021 at 11:21 pm

I think your description of topsoil is wrong. You said it has no organic matter, but thats not true. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topsoil

15. PSYC LINEZ on April 4, 2021 at 11:22 pm

The soil in my yard grows shit massive. Dandelion get up to 32 inches with stocks as thick as pencils. Its nuts and I never added or caused this. Was this way when i moved here

16. Aaron West on April 4, 2021 at 11:23 pm

Super helpful thanks

17. Zippydodah Quirk on April 4, 2021 at 11:23 pm

Why can’t you use garden soil in pots if you have plenty of drainage?

18. Tang Kha Duy NGUYEN on April 4, 2021 at 11:25 pm

Thanks Gary, your information is very helpful and educational.

19. Yeti Ye on April 4, 2021 at 11:25 pm

So cheap compare to UK..8L of potting mix cost me £4.65 and they don’t sell in bigger bag.

20. Brittany Garrison on April 4, 2021 at 11:27 pm

Thank you for such a straightforward informative video. Wish everyone did their videos this way.

21. ivony clear on April 4, 2021 at 11:28 pm

Can use a bit of garden soil like 10%, then 90% potting mix for my leafy indoor plants like peace lily, monstera, rubber plant, fiddle fig? Thank.you very.much

22. TIM DUENAS on April 4, 2021 at 11:29 pm

☆•♡😄"Cool
    •💝*

23. Jomana on April 4, 2021 at 11:29 pm

This is just superb, I been tryin to find out about "how to prepare your yard for a garden" for a while now, and I think this has helped. Ever heard of – Paylezobath Celebrated Process – (Have a quick look on google cant remember the place now )?

24. Alexandra Tatarsky on April 4, 2021 at 11:36 pm

this is so so so helpful!!! i’ve really been wondering about this THANK YOU

25. tee s on April 4, 2021 at 11:36 pm

hi Im building a butterfly garden with host and nectar plants. I have the Scotts yellow striped Organic Manure and Humus bags as the only soil Im using in the garden. should I mix that with something else or do you think that would be fine to put my plants into by itself?

26. Del Gonzales on April 4, 2021 at 11:36 pm

Gary do you know of health hazards to humans when using potting mix or soil?

27. Ram Grg on April 4, 2021 at 11:37 pm

Appreciate it

28. Olivia Cruz on April 4, 2021 at 11:42 pm

Thank you. Ive noticed these soils are different but not by much. I bought the 3 cu ft bag of peat and add that to all my inexpensive soils with my compost and amendments for the veg Im planting. Thank you for this vid.

29. Al Vomano on April 4, 2021 at 11:43 pm

your videos are the best, thank you. I’d like to point out to whoever is watching that harvesting of peat moss is widely known to be disastrous for the environment, we as gardeners should be part of the solution not of the problem. We need to talk about this things more often.

30. Teasha Stewart on April 4, 2021 at 11:44 pm

I never use top soil but I always choose the cheapest potting soil available. 👍🏾

31. dianyingcailiao on April 4, 2021 at 11:47 pm

You talked about prices. That is not what we would like to know. We need to know what they are for???????????

32. Big Baby on April 4, 2021 at 11:48 pm

Thanks

33. Jailin Parada on April 4, 2021 at 11:49 pm

Thank you so much for this video!!

34. bailey on April 4, 2021 at 11:49 pm

Thank you for answering the nagging question I had in the back of my mind. Very helpful indeed.

35. Estiben on April 4, 2021 at 11:50 pm

In growing Carolina reapers…i just bought miracle grow potting mix
    .im I good?

36. Jing yun on April 4, 2021 at 11:50 pm

What’s dirt?

37. Puchi K on April 4, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Very nice

38. Mercy wats on April 4, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Cheers for this, been searching for "which potting soil is best?" for a while now, and I think this has helped. You ever tried – Fonillian Uncomplex Future – (search on google )?
    It is a good exclusive product for growing up to 10 times more produce using aquaponics without the normal expense. Ive heard some super things about it and my cousin got amazing success with it.

39. Fat Cat Frankie on April 4, 2021 at 11:53 pm

I bought raised bed soil. I am growing mushrooms I did not intend to grow under my tomatoes ! I thought I might ne watering too much. Is this normal in this type of stuff. If feels very woody.

40. Esuterure2006 on April 4, 2021 at 11:53 pm

Educational video. However The miracle gro one is unfortunately infested with fungus gnats. I unfortunately used this soil for my plants indoors.

41. "MORNING GARDENER'S SHOW" on April 4, 2021 at 11:54 pm

very good video tell me have you ever used that Garden Pro manure and compost combination if so what do you think about it ?

42. Alanisa Sa'adah Salahadhin on April 4, 2021 at 11:55 pm

Thank You so much. Perfect information and I appreciate you using you hand in the soil to show the textures, BRILLIANT!!!! Blessings and Wholeness #TheDivineModestGoddess

43. Bella 19 on April 4, 2021 at 11:56 pm

Very informative great information! Thanks

44. Karlynsia Mone on April 4, 2021 at 11:58 pm

Could I only use garden soil and steer manure in my vegetable garden?

45. Bass Chaser on April 4, 2021 at 11:58 pm

Thanks for great video 2020

46. Ryan on April 5, 2021 at 12:01 am

literally will never watch you again because of the fucking soil you displayed, disgusting

47. arthur trey enterprises on April 5, 2021 at 12:02 am

If I wanted to add top soil for sod which. Would you recommend

48. Kelli Beasley on April 5, 2021 at 12:03 am

So am I supposed to mix garden soil with topsoil? Does one need to be laid out before adding the other?

49. Dennis Koyle on April 5, 2021 at 12:04 am

I think a raised bed is a big container and all the considerations apply to both.

50. Amanda Mikyska on April 5, 2021 at 12:04 am